• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelBD

Hey board game GAF. What's the verdict on Cosmic Encounter? Finally considering getting into board games (other than Catan) and CE in particular caught my attention.
Great game. The only real issue I've come across in teaching it is people are too nice when it comes to soliciting allies. It's usually, "anyone who wants to help can help" and that kind of play makes the games too short and uninteresting. The group really needs to embrace the social aspect of the game and the negotiation.

I wish I could play it more.

Mr. F

Banned
Great game. The only real issue I've come across in teaching it is people are too nice when it comes to soliciting allies. It's usually, "anyone who wants to help can help" and that kind of play makes the games too short and uninteresting. The group really needs to embrace the social aspect of the game and the negotiation.

I wish I could play it more.

Not a problem with my potential group! Great to hear the votes of confidence, looking forward to picking it up sometime.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
So we picked up Arkham Horror, and that might be the store favorite at this point. We really like Runewars but Arkham is 8 players. We have played three times and won none so far, but it is just an experience to play lol

Xater

I am really starting to think I should jump on board with the Express 01 thing. Game sounds cool and getting all the bonus stuff is pretty cool....

Petrie

Banned
Despite the fact that I have only managed to get a group together for Descent once, I'm debating grabbing the 2nd edition and pre-ordering the conversion kit via Amazon. Is there a better deal to be had on this somewhere? Better yet, somebody talk me out of this silliness!

Eclipse is pretty popular with our group, but everyone always seems afraid of attacking anyone else lol. It keeps turning into cold wars between a set of players usually where they build up forces and defenese lines around their borders but no actual shooting. The time limit on the game also seems to make it harder for people to want to risk the resources and time for war.

anyone played the 2012 SdJ, kingdom builder? didn't really like it on the first two plays but clicked on the third and think it's actually fun, simple, and surprisingly deep

It also took a few games to click with me, but I absolutely love it now. Once the group figures out the importance of the first couple of turns, and stops screwing them up and getting "stuck" with shitty card draws, the game works so well, and becomes much better.

Yeah, I know those kinds of games too, but I'm more looking for 4p-ish games :) But thanks! Also, do those even count as "boardgames", since they're essentially role-playing games?

The Game of Thrones board game is pretty Diplomacy-esque, and pretty fantastic. Supports 3-5 (or 6 with the one expansion).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Played Carson City for the first time in a long time yesterday. Super-fun game, and might actually be one of the quicker worker-placement games out there though it takes a bit longer to teach than say Kingsburg or Stone Age. It's pretty much the perfect level of complexity in terms of something between Stone Age/Kingsburg and Gric/Le Havre.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Mhmm, the recent talk about Diplomacy reminds me:

what are some of the best "discussion" based titles out there? Can be anything from Risk (How good Risk:Legacy?) to... I don't know. :D Just sth that could potentially involve group discussion/party-game-ish. Preferably not too hardcore/complex though. Thanks!

There is a game called Tammany Hall that is a nice rules light game with heavy negotiation aspects with some blind bids for backstabbing treachery.

I'm not overly familiar with the game though.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
There is a game called Tammany Hall that is a nice rules light game with heavy negotiation aspects with some blind bids for backstabbing treachery.

I'm not overly familiar with the game though.

I'm familiar enough with this thread to see what you did there. :p

About to go play the 2nd and 3rd games of my group's Risk Legacy campaign. After we finally got the rules right during our first game, it was pretty awesome. The customization we got to do post-Game 1 was super fun. Can't wait to get them packets open!!

Just read this on my usual Online Store
Village Will Not Available (07/23/2012)
Just wanted to let everyone know that ***** will not be carrying Village from Tasty Minstrel Games. TMG has decided that online retailers will not be allowed to sell their games anymore. Feel free to contact TMG to let them know if you are unhappy about this decision!

I guess Tasty Minstrel has joined the list of shady publishers with Mayday, Clever Mojo and Sirlin

tm24

Just read this on my usual Online Store

I guess Tasty Minstrel has joined the list of shady publishers with Mayday, Clever Mojo and Sirlin

Just for future reference, what makes these guys shady publishers. Already familiar with the shadiness of Game Salute

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Get in Descent 2nd edition today. Excitement. I am still actively searching for a good price on 1st ed+ some xpacs as well, though. The advertised 20 hours campaign life will get eaten through rather quickly if we like it. We have probably played that much Arkham already and we got it on Friday >.>

Get in Descent 2nd edition today. Excitement. I am still actively searching for a good price on 1st ed+ some xpacs as well, though. The advertised 20 hours campaign life will get eaten through rather quickly if we like it. We have probably played that much Arkham already and we got it on Friday >.>

I'd give up on Descent 1st Edition. I've been trying to track down the expansions I don't have for about 6 months and have had no luck. It sucks. I really wanted to the extra overlord cards. I have Tomb Of Ice, which is still available and a must own for 1st edition players. Sea of Blood is a great campaign as well. PIRATES!

Giard

I bought Robo Rally about two weeks ago. We tried playing a game, thinking it would take us about 30 minutes, like the box says.

It took us like two hours and a half. It was fun, but everyone was getting tired of it at the end. Now that we understand the rules better (and play with perhaps less than 8 players), the next game should be shorter.

Just for future reference, what makes these guys shady publishers. Already familiar with the shadiness of Game Salute

- Clever Mojo and game salute seems to be the same or at least partners
- Sirlin threats online gamestores for selling their games below MSRP
- Mayday always have shady endeavors, like the reused crokinole boards, starting a kickstarter for a game they didn't have the rights to distribute, etc.

Petrie

Banned
I'd give up on Descent 1st Edition. I've been trying to track down the expansions I don't have for about 6 months and have had no luck. It sucks. I really wanted to the extra overlord cards. I have Tomb Of Ice, which is still available and a must own for 1st edition players. Sea of Blood is a great campaign as well. PIRATES!

I have a 1st edition that has been played once that I'm probably throwing on Ebay, though I'd simply sell to a Gaffer.

We played it so little, we're just going to grab the 2nd edition and give that a go instead.

Barmaley

Neo Member
The new Fantasy Flight game "Relic" looks like a lot of fun for anyone who wants to paint some minis and play Talisman in the 40k universe (Me!).

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3446

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm=215&esem=1

This makes me sad. FFG should make more use of the warhammer license and develop more original, big box games like Chaos in the Old World and Horus Heresy instead. At least I would like that very much ;)

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I bought Robo Rally about two weeks ago. We tried playing a game, thinking it would take us about 30 minutes, like the box says.

It took us like two hours and a half. It was fun, but everyone was getting tired of it at the end. Now that we understand the rules better (and play with perhaps less than 8 players), the next game should be shorter.

The kickstarter just ended for it, but Roboderby express is a free pnp game that plays about the same in a much shorter time frame.

They just rethemed it to "Pirate Dice" and it should be in stores this November.

I've not played it, but I kind of had the same issues with Roborally you did. I brought it out because it's light.. but then it lasts forever.

Slacker

Tabletop must be doing well, apparently they struck a deal with Target to sell all the games featured on the shows:

Geek & Sundry has partnered with Target (yes, THAT Target, of big red bullseye fame) to make the games in season one of TableTop available in Target stores and online on Target.com! For the next three months starting August 1st, Target stores will feature TableTop games with an “As Seen on Geek & Sundry” sticker. Select games will even be the “Featured Game of the Month”…you’ll have to go to the store to find out which :)

We love local game shops, but we know that not everyone is fortunate enough to live in a city that has one. That’s why this partnership with Target is so exciting—for those of you who aren’t able to find your favorite TableTop games locally, you can now find TableTop-approved titles on Target store shelves near you!

http://geekandsundry.com/geek-sundry-target/

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The show has been great for the hobby. Publishers saw a rise in sales after the games were featured on Table Top. Good on them. I think the the show is fun and goes out of it's way to gaming as inviting to as many people as possible.
http://www.starlitcitadel.com/helm/2012/05/08/the-wheaton-effect/

Oh Starlit Citadel, their awesome prices hurt my wallet.

And the show is great, I remember watching a few episodes, incl one with Ryan Higa of nigahiga youtube fame. Random but hilarious.

This makes me sad. FFG should make more use of the warhammer license and develop more original, big box games like Chaos in the Old World and Horus Heresy instead. At least I would like that very much ;)

Horus Heresy was not an original, it was an old GW game they just made nicer and rereleased. They have done alot with the Warhammer license so far, Space Hulk card game, Blood Bowl Team Manager, Chaos in the Old World, Warhammer LCG, 5 RPG systems, all original. This along with rereleases of stuff like Horus Heresy and Chaos Marauders. There agreement with GW also includes many other classic games which they are putting out too. FFG and GW's agreement have really pumped out alot of stuff so far

I have a 1st edition that has been played once that I'm probably throwing on Ebay, though I'd simply sell to a Gaffer.

We played it so little, we're just going to grab the 2nd edition and give that a go instead.

Why not just keep your 1st edition for all the stuff it comes with? The upgrade kit adds all the 1st edition material to 2nd edition as unique new content.

Petrie

Banned
Why not just keep your 1st edition for all the stuff it comes with? The upgrade kit adds all the 1st edition material to 2nd edition as unique new content.

Because buying a $30 upgrade kit that comes with stuff to upgrade all the expansions, when all I have is the base game, seems like a waste of $30, especially when the base game is going for $70-100 on Ebay. If I had all the expansions it'd be worth it, but as it stands, doesn't seem it.

Essentially I have to decide if that added content is worth $100.

If somebody thinks otherwise and has a compelling argument, I'm listening though.

Because buying a $30 upgrade kit that comes with stuff to upgrade all the expansions, when all I have is the base game, seems like a waste of $30, especially when the base game is going for $70-100 on Ebay. If I had all the expansions it'd be worth it, but as it stands, doesn't seem it.

Essentially I have to decide if that added content is worth $100.

If somebody thinks otherwise and has a compelling argument, I'm listening though.

Well even in base game, that's alot of figures and new monsters plus all those heroes that you can add into 2nd edition. You could always pick up other expansions later on to add even more, 1st edition had a ton of content all together that would spice up 2nd, but it's going to get expensive.

Petrie

Banned
Well even in base game, that's alot of figures and new monsters plus all those heroes that you can add into 2nd edition. You could always pick up other expansions later on to add even more, 1st edition had a ton of content all together that would spice up 2nd, but it's going to get expensive.

That's my thought process. I could spend all that cash on old content to use some of it, or sell the edition I have and pay for the 2nd edition, then hopefully jump in and actually be able to get people to play with the simpler rules.

Neverfade

What are you looking to get for 1ed Descent? I'm interested.

Edit: Also, if you're open to it, also check my trade list on BGG (same name), I have a fair amount of stuff up for grabs I'd be willing to swap.

Petrie

Banned
What are you looking to get for 1ed Descent? I'm interested.

Edit: Also, if you're open to it, also check my trade list on BGG (same name), I have a fair amount of stuff up for grabs I'd be willing to swap.

Don't really know what its worth, but I'm not really looking for any games right now. I got a PM with an offer for 70 plus shipping which seemed fair enough to me though.

Barmaley

Neo Member
Horus Heresy was not an original, it was an old GW game they just made nicer and rereleased. They have done alot with the Warhammer license so far, Space Hulk card game, Blood Bowl Team Manager, Chaos in the Old World, Warhammer LCG, 5 RPG systems, all original. This along with rereleases of stuff like Horus Heresy and Chaos Marauders. There agreement with GW also includes many other classic games which they are putting out too. FFG and GW's agreement have really pumped out alot of stuff so far

Ah, I didn't know that about Horus Heresy. Anyways, most of the things you listed are either rpgs or card games. I want proper, original, big box boardgames ala chaos in the old world :)
One could say that citow is the only big box warhammer fantasy boardgame by ffg out there, and it's marvelous.

To save me going through hundreds of posts, does anyone here play Last Night on Earth? I'm looking at buying an expansion or two for it and was wondering people's thoughts on which were the best.

Xater

Ah, I didn't know that about Horus Heresy. Anyways, most of the things you listed are either rpgs or card games. I want proper, original, big box boardgames ala chaos in the old world :)
One could say that citow is the only big box warhammer fantasy boardgame by ffg out there, and it's marvelous.

I would love to see FFG take on Necromunda and turn that into a boardgame.

To save me going through hundreds of posts, does anyone here play Last Night on Earth? I'm looking at buying an expansion or two for it and was wondering people's thoughts on which were the best.
Get Growing Hunger for sure. It contains new scenarios, characters, boards, and it introduces the dot system which let you add different rules and still keep it balanced. After that I would go for Survival of the Fittest. More characters, more scenarios, and other rules you can add in like survival cards and barricades. They just released or will be releasing Timber Peak which is a new stand alone game but can be added to the main game. That should get you the most bang for your buck. The other expansions are pretty weak in comparison.

Get Growing Hunger for sure. It contains new scenarios, characters, boards, and it introduces the dot system which let you add different rules and still keep it balanced. After that I would go for Survival of the Fittest. More characters, more scenarios, and other rules you can add in like survival cards and barricades. They just released or will be releasing Timber Peak which is a new stand alone game but can be added to the main game. That should get you the most bang for your buck. The other expansions are pretty weak in comparison.

Thanks mate.

I saw the announcement for Timber Peak for June 2013 so I'm excited about that but thought I should give the older ones a chance too. Looks like I'll at least be getting the Growing Hunger.

Does anyone here have special ways to store their games and expansions? I noticed a few threads on other forums of people storing games in wooden art boxes or aluminium case. Think I might have to do that too. Here is one I thought was cool:

lnoestorage2.jpg
lnoestorage3.jpg
lnoestorage4.jpg

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Hey board game GAF. What's the verdict on Cosmic Encounter? Finally considering getting into board games (other than Catan) and CE in particular caught my attention.
I bought Cosmic Encounter about two months ago, and it might be my favourite board game. The game is easy to learn, incredibly varied (50 alien races in the base game--pretty crazy), low on analysis paralysis, and manages to be a diplomacy-focused game that avoids the problems common among diplomacy-focused games. It has some thematic flavour, it can engender fun and convoluted mindgames, and the game always delivers a steady stream of crazy surprises and unexpectedly awesome interactions.

I've played lots of matches so far, with both avid board gamers and beginners, and everyone's instantly fallen in love with it.

Thanks mate.

I saw the announcement for Timber Peak for June 2013 so I'm excited about that but thought I should give the older ones a chance too. Looks like I'll at least be getting the Growing Hunger.

Does anyone here have special ways to store their games and expansions? I noticed a few threads on other forums of people storing games in wooden art boxes or aluminium case. Think I might have to do that too. Here is one I thought was cool:
No problem. While the briefcase is cool I just keep everything in the two boxes. I'm thinking about consolidating it into one box but the insert works so well I hate to throw it out. Both sets won't fit in one box with the insert.

I bought Cosmic Encounter about two months ago, and it might be my favourite board game. The game is easy to learn, incredibly varied (50 alien races in the base game--pretty crazy), low on analysis paralysis, and manages to be a diplomacy-focused game that avoids the problems common among diplomacy-focused games. It has some thematic flavour, it can engender fun and convoluted mindgames, and the game always delivers a steady stream of crazy surprises and unexpectedly awesome interactions.

I've played lots of matches so far, with both avid board gamers and beginners, and everyone's instantly fallen in love with it.

My absolute favourite game. It's amazing how ahead of its time this game was back in the 70's when it came out.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
No problem. While the briefcase is cool I just keep everything in the two boxes. I'm thinking about consolidating it into one box but the insert works so well I hate to throw it out. Both sets won't fit in one box with the insert.

Yeah the base LNOE box has a lot of extra space. I have a bunch of expansions and they fit pretty well into base & Growing Hunger. One recommendation though is don't get expansions until you're burned out on the base game -- made this mistake with both LNOE and Arkham Horror and for the most part I'm still enjoying the main game in both even though I have expansions that are now years old and mostly unplayed. (I do actually play with some of the small-box LNOE expansions just for the extra cards and heroes.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom