• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Chorazin said:
Oh, I'm sorry, I guess because you don't need to buy Risk from from special gamestore for $90 it's not fun or a board game?

Thought this thread was newbie friendly.

I was completely joking. I own (and sometimes enjoy) both Risk and Monopoly.

I was just joking about the back to back posts of casual games that most Euro gamers hate. Had you walked onto Boardgamegeek.com and professed that they really might have formed a lynching mob.

StoOgE

Had a killer day at Savers.

10 dollars spent.

Picking up:

Munchkin - I know it gets hate, but 3 bucks I'll try it.
Micro-mutants - FFG that seems to be some version of tiddlywins, it's a top 1000 games on BGG.
Star Wars Epic Duels - the real prize today. I wasn't going to buy it because of the Star Wars name, but decided to check BGG on my iphone. Glad I did. Ranked 392 on BGG and used copies sell for 100 bucks. :D

I am all about bargain hunting now. 2 trips, 2 wins.

Xater

StoOgE said:

10 dollars spent.

Picking up:

Micro-mutants - FFG that seems to be some version of tiddlywins, it's a top 1000 games on BGG.
Star Wars Epic Duels - the real prize today. I wasn't going to buy it because of the Star Wars name, but decided to check BGG on my iphone. Glad I did. Ranked 392 on BGG and used copies sell for 100 bucks. :D

Munchkin is super fun with the right group.

StoOgE

Double Bonus.

Looks like Munchkin came with one of the expansions. It has 112 extra cards in the box. I assume it means it has Munchkin 2 in there as well, but I'll have to try BGG to figure out which expansion is actually has.

edit: yep, it has the unnatural axe card, so I have Munchkin 2 as a double bonus!

So, I guess that is 3 games + expansion for 10 bucks :D

MichaelBD

AstroLad said:
Cool report Michael. Looking forward to it and I might enjoy it even more as I'm a pretty big Kingsburg fan (play with all expansions though). Grabbed it at the last possible second thanks to neverfade's post; should be coming in within the next couple of weeks as I have The Goodies in that order too.

Playing today:
-Fresco (first game)
-Dominion: Prosperity (first game)
-Race for the Galaxy + Gathering Storm

Thanks. I completely missed that the game had already been mentioned.

I'm glad others were able to snag copies, because I see it fitting nicely in the "more than a filler but not too much of a time commitment" arena of games.

And I also had my first successful BGG trade. I swapped my barely used copy of Zombie State for 1960: Making of the President. I know my game was worth a little more than what I got, but I wanted to get a trade under my belt. And since Twilight Struggle is my favorite game, I figured 1960 would be a natural fit for when my friend and I want to play something Struggle-ish without the gut-wrenching tension or time constraint.

MichaelBD

StoOgE said:
Double Bonus.

Looks like Munchkin came with one of the expansions. It has 112 extra cards in the box. I assume it means it has Munchkin 2 in there as well, but I'll have to try BGG to figure out which expansion is actually has.

edit: yep, it has the unnatural axe card, so I have Munchkin 2 as a double bonus!

So, I guess that is 3 games + expansion for 10 bucks :D
Catan was my gateway game and Munchkin is what really drew me in. My family went crazy for Munchkin and we have the first 7 expansions. The decks are so huge we also bought a couple of those card dealer boots.

The game does lose some of its luster after multiple plays, but it still gets dragged out once in a while.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:

10 dollars spent.

Picking up:

Damn that is quite a snag. Provided they are all in OK condition!

StoOgE

MichaelBD said:
Catan was my gateway game and Munchkin is what really drew me in. My family went crazy for Munchkin and we have the first 7 expansions. The decks are so huge we also bought a couple of those card dealer boots.

The game does lose some of its luster after multiple plays, but it still gets dragged out once in a while.

Hopefully my group likes it. I could see it filling that Citadels/Bang!/Werewolf sort of fun drinking game role. Though, with as many cards as Munchkin 1 and 2 came with in this box, I doubt I ever buy an expansion unless I get a crazy good deal on it.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
Damn that is quite a snag. Provided they are all in OK condition!

Star Wars Duels is a little beat up. Especially the box.

But it is complete, the other two are in really good shape.

StoOgE said:

10 dollars spent.

Picking up:

Oh wow, nicely done.

StoOgE

looks like I am missing 4 bits in the Micro-mutants box, but it looks like it won't actually wind up effecting the game as they are pretty minor and seem to just be counters that I can sub pretty well anything for.

MichaelBD

StoOgE said:
Hopefully my group likes it. I could see it filling that Citadels/Bang!/Werewolf sort of fun drinking game role. Though, with as many cards as Munchkin 1 and 2 came with in this box, I doubt I ever buy an expansion unless I get a crazy good deal on it.

The first few times you play it's pretty hilarious.

Chorazin

StoOgE said:
I was completely joking. I own (and sometimes enjoy) both Risk and Monopoly.

I was just joking about the back to back posts of casual games that most Euro gamers hate. Had you walked onto Boardgamegeek.com and professed that they really might have formed a lynching mob.
It's cool. :) Glad to see there's no Risk hate up in there!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Chorazin said:
Only if it's the original and there's a better Risk-style option available to play at the time.

HOTW for life! ;P

Lot of the variations of Risk have introduced unique or thematic rules which made them better than vanilla Risk. I really don't know about Halo Risk though, but almost picked it up since it's cheap.

MichaelBD

My buddies and I used to get together 3 or 4 times a year and have Risk marathons. It was awesome. We'd booze, roll dice, hurl obscenities at each other, and pursue conquests of greatness.

I miss those days and have been trying to get another Risk day going for a while now, but families and work gets in the way. Though I would try the new Risk and some of the new variants to ease the time constraint.

Chorazin said:

StoOgE

MichaelBD said:
My buddies and I used to get together 3 or 4 times a year and have Risk marathons. It was awesome. We'd booze, roll dice, hurl obscenities at each other, and pursue conquests of greatness.

I miss those days and have been trying to get another Risk day going for a while now, but families and work gets in the way. Though I would try the new Risk and some of the new variants to ease the time constraint.

Risk and Monopoly are both games in that

1) You get to hang out with your friends and have fun.

2) Everyone knows the rules.

3) You know who is going to win 2 hours before it actually happens, and most games end in the other player throwing in the towel.

4) With Monopoly especially I have very fond memories of playing it with family as a child. Risk, less so.. I discovered it in college so nostalgia doesn't bite nearly as hard.

As well-balanced games, they are both pretty bad. But that doesn't mean they aren't fun. Kind of like bad action movies are fun, but not necessarily good.

So while I like games like Puerto Rico they don't really lend themselves to the kind of social interactions most people are accustomed to in board games.

Now, the game of Life? That is just a piece of shit that I always and will forever fucking hate. FUCK THAT GAME.

"Oh bad news, your very first dice roll of the game has fucked you completely for the rest of the game and you will not recover"

"here, sit at the end of the game until you roll the number you need.. oh hey, that player that was half the board behind you has caught up and beat you"

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So while I like games like Puerto Rico they don't really lend themselves to the kind of social interactions most people are accustomed to in board games.

Hmmm I dunno, Puerto Rico maybe since it's so conflict-light. But there are literally hundreds of games that offer more social interaction, and more meaningful player interaction (and actually have mechanics that are bearable or better) than Monopoly or Risk. Monopoly in particular; Risk I won't slag off as much especially since I haven't played the new rules. But both those games are a big part of why many people think of board games as childish, boring, and interminable.

/hater

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
Hmmm I dunno, Puerto Rico maybe since it's so conflict-light. But there are literally hundreds of games that offer more social interaction, and more meaningful player interaction (and actually have mechanics that are bearable or better) than Monopoly or Risk. Monopoly in particular; Risk I won't slag off as much especially since I haven't played the new rules. But both those games are a big part of why many people think of board games as childish, boring, and interminable.

I'm not disagreeing at all. I think the lighter to mid level Euro games are better interactive games. Catan, Carcassonne and Small World work really well in this regard.

I just think the economic engine type games (i.e. the ones I love the most) generally are more chess and less checkers if that makes any sense.

The deeper games offer something different, but aren't really good party games. Monopoly would be better to break out at a party than say Le Havre even though Le Havre is a better game.

However, TTR would be better than Monopoly.

StoOgE

So, I played a game of Star Wars duel thingy with my friend after the UT game.

It lasted about 10 minutes. It is really, really, really simple.

You roll a dice and move a figure. If you want to attack you play a card. If someone attacks you, you can play a card for defense. If you don't attack, you draw a card.

The Jedi have the most powerful attacks, but most of them have to be adjacent to their opponent to do damage. The other characters only need line of sight to attack, but are less powerful in both hit points and offensive power.

Basically, if you have good cards in your hand you rush your opponent. If your cards suck, you run away and draw cards till you get some good ones.

It's a fun little game, and I like OG starwars so the theme is pretty fun. It's pretty nifty pitting Bobba Fett against Darth Vader, and the characters have pretty awesome cards for theme. Vader has a card called "its all too easy" which will kill another player in one hit if they don't defend it. Vader ought to be that powerful.

I'm pretty excited that I nabbed this sucker, it is fun. People willing to pay 100 bucks for it are completely insane though. It's a decent filler game that looks like it originally sold for 15 dollars.. which is about what this is worth if I were going to pay for it. 100 dollars just because it is out of print is nuts. There are plenty of games just as good or better for far less scratch.

XiaNaphryz

StoOgE said:
I'm pretty excited that I nabbed this sucker, it is fun. People willing to pay 100 bucks for it are completely insane though. It's a decent filler game that looks like it originally sold for 15 dollars.. which is about what this is worth if I were going to pay for it. 100 dollars just because it is out of print is nuts. There are plenty of games just as good or better for far less scratch.
Agreed. At least the high OOP price for Queen's Gambit is more justified.

StoOgE

XiaNaphryz said:
Agreed. At least the high OOP price for Queen's Gambit is more justified.

yeah, at least there are a lot of minis to that one and there is some meat to the game.

And honestly, a new copy of a similar sized wargame goes for close to the price it goes for on ebay.

This thing is pure filler with really bad production values.

My guess is the insane fans of OG Star Wars are driving the price of this thing up.

StoOgE said:
yeah, at least there are a lot of minis to that one and there is some meat to the game.

And honestly, a new copy of a similar sized wargame goes for close to the price it goes for on ebay.

This thing is pure filler with really bad production values.

My guess is the insane fans of OG Star Wars are driving the price of this thing up.

Franchise being big and the stuff going out of print. One would imagine that Star Wars would be a gold mine for great board game opportunities, but once Wizards of the Coast got ahold of the game rights to the franchise they just sat on it and just concentrated on the miniature and roleplaying SW games. Even OG SW risk goes for 100+ online. One can still find the Clone Wars version online for a cheap price once in a while.

Right now no one holds the rights for Star Wars games (board, rpg, miniatures) as WotC didn't want to renew the license even though it sold well for them.... they should have tapped into the board game aspects seeing how highly sought after are the other board games are in the franchise.

Almost bought this at Star Wars Celebration: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6388/star-wars-return-of-the-jedi-battle-at-sarlaccs-pi

But figured $75 for a used copy was too much for something that likely was going to suck. It just seemed cool for the nostalgia factor though.

StoOgE

Yeah, I get why there is demand.. but I could see a lot of people getting this and having a "I paid 120 dollars for *that*?" reaction.

This is literally the only Star Wars board game that is both good and involved the original trilogy. So people want it.

But the game itself just really does not warrant the price.

StoOgE said:
Yeah, I get why there is demand.. but I could see a lot of people getting this and having a "I paid 120 dollars for *that*?" reaction.

This is literally the only Star Wars board game that is both good and involved the original trilogy. So people want it.

But the game itself just really does not warrant the price.

Yea I would never pay these crazy prices for these old games even though I am a crazy fanboy.... I own a set of Scout Trooper armor :lol

XiaNaphryz

BattleMonkey said:
Yea I would never pay these crazy prices for these old games even though I am a crazy fanboy.... I own a set of Scout Trooper armor :lol
Queen's Gambit is worth it if you don't have it.

We had five for a bit today so I sat out (and played some WoW TCG) with another guy while I watched people play my copy of Ascension using the 2v2 team rules. Game looked a lot more awesome/interactive between players that way. If you have four, give the rules posted here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/568460/official-ascension-variant-2v2-team-play

Are really cool.

Picked up Onirim to have another something compact to take when traveling. Game is really great, and lets you scale up difficultly and complexity using a set of optional cards and rules. A steal for $8, and can't wait to try it via co-op.

Anyone tried Dominant Species yet? I play tons of Combat Commander and like Chad Jensen's style in general, but am somewhat worried the game might be a little long/dense for the people I play with.

Neverfade

Fragamemnon said:
Anyone tried Dominant Species yet? I play tons of Combat Commander and like Chad Jensen's style in general, but am somewhat worried the game might be a little long/dense for the people I play with.

I own it, but have not played it yet. Its on schedule for this Monday's boardgame night. If you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to keep an eye out and address them.

Outright, I can say the rules are pretty straightforward. The rulebook was very well written and I had very few questions as each persons player sheet has a great summary of how each step is broken down.

Flynn

Played a couple games new-to-me yesterday.

Alien Frontiers was funded via Kickstarter and its a decent game with nice space flavor. Felt like the strategies for resourcing and building were kind of limited, but I didn't play the Alien Artifact cards very heavily. They have lots of game changing powers.

2nd game was Ad Astra, which felt like a complicated space Catan. I liked the novelty of players secretly placing their actions in a timeline, then executing them.

Played the Puerto Rico board game tonight with my brother and a friend. Was a little worried after skimming the rule book that the game would be hella complicated but it turned out to be alot simpler than I had imagined. And lots of fun too!

Second game we tried was a Game of Thrones, we played it two player (even though the min is 3) just to get a feel for the mechanics and the rules. Looks like it will be completely awesome to play with 5 people which we're gonna try to accomplish in the near future. Good times will be had!

jason10mm

Gold Member
Big game day yesterday. Started with nexus ops, which is a fun, fairly light war-game. Shame it is so hard to find, played it with three chicks, must have been the translucent minis :)

Next was Junta, an old AH game about petty dictators embezzeling money from their country. Almost 100% metagame between the players, bribing folks to stick with you, punishing players who betrayed you earlier, etc. Unfortunately it is saddled with a very cumbersome war-game to act out the inevitable coup, which grinds the game to a halt. Took us 5 hours before fols had to leave.

Then was a quick game of RFTG.

Then my first game of werewolf. Entirely too sober to care for that one.

Played a quick game of Nefertiti. This is a light auction game,though you don't directly bid between players. Nice theme, fun game.

Then was a game of power grid using the china map. 5 player, and WOW, the power plant progression of that map really makes the game grind! Took us about 3 hours.

In the end I won junta, Nefertiti, and power grid. Not too shabby :) my wife won nexus, so at least she got one win out of the day.

Got defenders of the realm on tap. Game components look good, looking forward to it.

I just recently got introduced to Power Grid and Leonardo DaVinci. Both are great games, but Power Grid, particularly on the Germany map (we only have US and Germany) gives a huge lopsided advantage to the first player to place a city; if you can place first in the city with the free connector and all the connectors that only cost 2 or 4, you'll very likely win if you don't make any huge mistakes. Then again, there were 3 clueless people playing who may have been able to interfere with his resource development if they had caught on quicker, so I guess the jury may still be out.

Leo DaVinci seemed more balanced, but also more luck dependent; one player constantly was getting beat to every invention he tried to make. I think that happened to him 3 times in one game.

Overall though, great games that everyone should at least try.

StoOgE

So, I went back to Savers today to work on my Halloween costume.

They have a copy of some game from the 90s called Mall Madness or some such. I don't own LNOE, but apparently the board works great for a mall based variant of LNOE. If anyone wants it and is going to BGG-Con I can grab it for 5 dollars.

StoOgE

ThLunarian said:
I just recently got introduced to Power Grid and Leonardo DaVinci. Both are great games, but Power Grid, particularly on the Germany map (we only have US and Germany) gives a huge lopsided advantage to the first player to place a city; if you can place first in the city with the free connector and all the connectors that only cost 2 or 4, you'll very likely win if you don't make any huge mistakes. Then again, there were 3 clueless people playing who may have been able to interfere with his resource development if they had caught on quicker, so I guess the jury may still be out.

Leo DaVinci seemed more balanced, but also more luck dependent; one player constantly was getting beat to every invention he tried to make. I think that happened to him 3 times in one game.

Overall though, great games that everyone should at least try.

Getting out ahead early in the number of connections can be a very costly move in Power Grid though. True, he was saving money in the early game, but going first in the bidding can be a *giant* disadvantage.

The other move you can make is to jump in the other parts of Berlin early in game as well and all block each other from taking full advantage of it.

Play with the US board, it is better

I had a nice session of Small World yesterday, I'm liking this game more and more each time I play it but I feel it'll get old fast so I ordered the new expansion from DOW website. It's more expensive but it comes with some nice preorder bonuses (bonus tokens and a free limited expansion called Necromancer Island which greatly changes the gameplay), plus if you have registered some games in the past you can get up to 20% off

StoOgE

BomberMouse said:
I had a nice session of Small World yesterday, I'm liking this game more and more each time I play it but I feel it'll get old fast so I ordered the new expansion from DOW website. It's more expensive but it comes with some nice preorder bonuses (bonus tokens and a free limited expansion called Necromancer Island which greatly changes the gameplay), plus if you have registered some games in the past you can get up to 20% off

First, thanks for the info! Looks like they are including chits for the Leaders of Small world for the new races as well (don't know about ghosts from necromancer island though).

Get the expansions to Small World, they are cheap.

just realize, it is a pretty light strategy party game that is fun because it is wacky. The more races you have, the wackier it gets, the more fun you have.

The Tales and Legends card set is a lot of fun as well. It creates "events" that last one turn of the game and can really screw with the rules in unique ways. Force you into decline early, might make attacking a mountain worth more. Might make getting the hell off the mountains a good idea.

Just don't rely on it as your main game for the evening. It is a good "opening" game or closing game.

StoOgE said:
First, thanks for the info! Looks like they are including chits for the Leaders of Small world for the new races as well (don't know about ghosts from necromancer island though).

Get the expansions to Small World, they are cheap.

just realize, it is a pretty light strategy party game that is fun because it is wacky. The more races you have, the wackier it gets, the more fun you have.

The Tales and Legends card set is a lot of fun as well. It creates "events" that last one turn of the game and can really screw with the rules in unique ways. Force you into decline early, might make attacking a mountain worth more. Might make getting the hell off the mountains a good idea.

Just don't rely on it as your main game for the evening. It is a good "opening" game or closing game.

I'll get the expasions on my next big order, I wasn't sure about T&L at first but it looks fun. For now a game like SW is my main game, most of my friends are not that much into boardgaming (yet! :D )

dogbert

Neverfade said:
Nabbed NetRunner in a math trade.

Still didnt get to unload Fresco, Tobago, Caylus, or Colosseum :(

We might be able to make a deal for Fresco + tobago... I'm fenners on the 'geek if you want to see my tradelist etc.

CTLance

For me this has been a cardgame-centric weekend. Why? Well, for one, they were dirt cheap looked interesting. Plus, I've been playing BSG and RftG way too much, I needed/wanted some fresh air.

I played:

Lost Cities [BGG]
Deliciously simple rules. One could probably condense them into five sentences or so. Awesome. The resulting gameplay however is far from simple provided you play against someone with a sense of tactics.

I just kind of wish there was a way to get around doing all that math at the end. 4*28-20+2*19-20+1*3-20+3*26-20=...? (even with formula optimisation this doesn't get much quicker)

Still, very fun. I need a neural reprogramming though, playing a card before drawing one is just physically impossible for me by now. I wasn't alone with that though, most of the guys I played with instinctively reached for the stacks first before even realizing it. Also, I'm a sucker for those humongous cards. Finally something that actually fits in my paws.

The German version comes in a very nice tin box. Me likes. A bit oversized though.

Zombie Fluxx [BGG]
This was actually a letdown. On paper it sounded awesome, a game where you add and modify the rules and goals as you play! Fun! It kind of was, but something was amiss. It always ended with someone randomly drawing and playing the goal card that fit his Keepers. Once that happens it's over, and there's nothing you can do. Extremely anticlimatic compared to the game itself, which is pretty fun.

There were also times where a player would play draw 5 and play 5, then play a few draw 3 play 2 actions (etc), then play the card that let him take another turn afterwards, which he'd promptly re-play from the discarded pile with the appropriate action card - and overwriting or destroying the draw/play rules before ending this gargantuan turn. This needs house rules, methinks. Multiplayer games should be multiplayer, not serialized singleplayer sessions.

I liked the rule that a player could join at any time by drawing a starting hand and sitting down at the table. Never actually happened, but it's nice to see this problem tackled "officially". Flexibility with the player count is nice - and rare.

Maybe I oughta plunk down and buy the other versions (Monty Python! <3 ). Maybe it's a "not enough cards" thing. I want to like this, for some reason. A bunch of different editions mixed together could be better..... right?

Fairy Tale [BGG]
I loved this, even though the icons and card layout took quite some getting used to. The rules aren't hard, but without a card index it's quite hard for a newb to grasp the importance of some cards. Still, I really dig the artwork and the rather quick gameplay once you get used to the game. Plus it scales quite well. I had several two-player games, and some with four or five guys, and everything worked smoothly (with me losing spectacularly more often than not). You only lose the mindfuckery in the draw phase because you don't get your stack back, which is pure evil in two-player mode.

Weekend was fun. CTLance approves.

dogbert

Maybe I oughta plunk down and buy the other versions (Monty Python! <3 ). Maybe it's a "not enough cards" thing. I want to like this, for some reason. A bunch of different editions mixed together could be better..... right?

Frankly, no.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Played Fresco tonight -- I know the anti-Euro crowd on BGG absolutely hates that game, but we frankly liked it. It reminds me a lot of Stone Age in a weird way. Really pretty and simple but fun worker-placement mechanics. It is definitely and unabashed Euro what with the impressing the Bishop and turning colored blocks into other colored blocks, but it was a hit in our group. Probably bust it out once a month or so, and definitely not a bad game to try with new people who aren't averse to Euros.

Neverfade

dogbert said:
We might be able to make a deal for Fresco + tobago... I'm fenners on the 'geek if you want to see my tradelist etc.

Didn't see anything, but depending on your interest I could cut you an ok deal price wise for like a credit somewhere. Just something to think about.

Played tonight:

Through the Ages simple game. Yes I know. We were playing with a lighter gamer though and there's no way we really could have just jumped into it willy nilly. I enjoyed what was there but I NEED the full game now. The lack of interaction and addition card types really hurt things.

Clue: The Great Museum Caper. If you can score this on the cheap, do so. Everyone takes turns being a thief trying to steal paintings and escape before detectives find them. If you know the Nuns on the Run mechanic, its similar.

Quiddler. Filler word game. At least on par with scrabble but not the greatest thing ever.

TTR: You know the drill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom