• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
So, I got back from my grandmas house..

got For Sale and the last Power Grid expansion.

and a ton of sleeves :(

I guess my mom is trying to send me a message about protecting these games since she thinks they are insanely expensive.

StoOgE said:
I was going for a victory in Europe early game. I got down to just needing control of East Germany. I had him down to 1 influence while I had two. Then the stupid De Gaulle card came up and I lost France and then it was all downhill from there.

Wow, I thought I was doing well in Europe. I was the Russians and I had it dominated due to taking Italy kind of early, and then keeping the Defcon too low for wife to coup it back. I couldn't hold France though, even with De Gaulle. That one card (Blockade?) wiped out West Germany for me, but I didn't take it before the game ended on points.

StoOgE said:
and a ton of sleeves :(

I guess my mom is trying to send me a message about protecting these games since she thinks they are insanely expensive.

Make her sleeve them for you!

MichaelBD

Played my first M44 online game against a human and pulled off the win. Real close game with each of us 3/4 for victory points. I really really like the implementation.

StoOgE

sleeving cards is a real pain in the ass.

These sleeves are built to fit the cards *exactly* which means if the cards cut is slightly off or the sleeve is slightly off the card doesn't really fit very well and bows out. Then you have to cut it out of said sleeve and hope the next one works.

I'm only going to sleeve Le Havre for now. Fuck this noise.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Scored factory manager, tales of the Arabian nights, and metropolys for Xmas. Not played any of them yet, but got my mom into carcassonne! Had a rather fun game of monopoly streets on the xbox as well.

Now if I could just get my mom to realize that the HD tv channels are NOT stretched, and in fact is the exact same image as the "box in a box" image NCIS is showing right now, just larger, clearer, and better in every way :)

And hey, my dad liked Tron 2 in 3d! He remembers taking me to see the original in the theaters, nice to return the favor, this time with beer :)

Mashing

jason10mm said:
Scored factory manager, tales of the Arabian nights, and metropolys for Xmas. Not played any of them yet, but got my mom into carcassonne! Had a rather fun game of monopoly streets on the xbox as well.

Now if I could just get my mom to realize that the HD tv channels are NOT stretched, and in fact is the exact same image as the "box in a box" image NCIS is showing right now, just larger, clearer, and better in every way :)

And hey, my dad liked Tron 2 in 3d! He remembers taking me to see the original in the theaters, nice to return the favor, this time with beer :)

Let me know how that one turns out. I've had my eye on it because I love good stories in my games.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
it's a very fun storytelling game. in a way, it's sort of like choose your own adventure: the board game. not a whole lot of "game" there but some really fun story paths

StoOgE

You fools on Yucata better watch out. I'm going to board game night Tuesday to actually learn how to play Stone Age.

Now, if only Yucata would let me on without a server time out...

eznark

Banned
Pretty sure Ticket to Ride will be here tomorrow! (XMas package from my folks since we are grounded til my wife has the baby)

StoOgE

eznark said:
Pretty sure Ticket to Ride will be here tomorrow! (XMas package from my folks since we are grounded til my wife has the baby)

Nice.. the game is a blast. It's one I need to get to the table more often.

grego9198

Finally picked up carcassone after playing for months on the iPhone.

My sister is having a board game new years eve party, should be a good time.

I bought her and her husband settles of catan last year, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Chorazin

Used my Xmas Amazon gift cards to pick up LNoE Hero Pack 1 and Forbidden Island. Also ordered Dominion: Seaside there too because it was only $20 and BGG seems to say it's the best expansion to get.

Fabiollo

Hi guys, I've been playing boardgames for a while, but it's always been with 4-6 players (or more). Now I'm finding always with my fellow players, but never in a group. So: what are the best 1 vs 1 boardgames?

I'm used to regular boardgames, miniature games and cards. So basically everything goes.

MichaelBD

Fabiollo said:
Hi guys, I've been playing boardgames for a while, but it's always been with 4-6 players (or more). Now I'm finding always with my fellow players, but never in a group. So: what are the best 1 vs 1 boardgames?

I'm used to regular boardgames, miniature games and cards. So basically everything goes.

I recommend Twilight Struggle.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Fabiollo said:

My picks from my collection would be:

Light: Battle Line
Light/Medium: Mr. Jack
Medium/Ameritrash: Queen's Gambit
Medium-Heavy: Twilight Struggle

Anything heavier falls into wargame territory.

I also like History of the World 1v1 with both players playing 2 colors, higher combined score wins.

You should also take a look through this:

boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/28904/my-favorite-area-control-games-for-two-players

Neverfade

Fabiollo said:

War of the Ring!

Drey1082

NIGHT- said:
Played BANG! with some friends last night. Was a total blast!

I really like BANG! as a fun time killer with 5 or more. Playing with 4 sucks. The only other problem with the game (at least with the 3rd edition which I have) is the very simple game is a bitch to teach to new players due to horrible symbols and bad translations on the cards.

Also, there's an iPhone version of bang out now for 2 bucks.

Neverfade

XiaNaphryz said:
I was going to mention that, but am still bummed at missing out on the CE so shall never speak of it again. :(

You can come play it with me, I'll only charge you 50 bucks! :D

I gotta recoup this money somehow! :lol

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The big hits of the holiday so far have been a really surprising and eclectic group: Twilight Struggle, Arkham Horror, and Pandemic. I've actually started to dig Pandemic, especially with the expansion roles and special events. Games don't feel samey anymore.

Fabiollo said:

Gotta echo the Twilight Struggle recommendation since it's been my most-played game this holiday break and is just tons of fun. #1 on BGG for good reason. The only downside to the game is that it can be a bit overwhelming for total non-gamers, but it sounds like that's not an issue for you. There are a ton of great light and quick 2P games in the OP as well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got zooloretto and TTR:Nordic for Christmas. Not played TTR but zooloretto went down a storm with the kids.

Any tips for rule tweaks? Eg do you leave out the extension, or have it included and available for use immediately? Seems expensive and there usually aren't a lot of coins going around. My son suggested giving everyone a coin at the start of each round as 'income' which sounds a good idea but I dint know if it'd upset the balance of the game.

Any thoughts?

StoOgE

I actually found Twilight Struggle pretty easy to teach to my dad.

He has played a lot of Power Grid with me, but not much else outside of Catan.

We went through the rules and it took about half of a "turn" for him to figure his strategy out and go nuts. He is a history buff though so that may have helped a bit.

Also check out Aton. It's been getting a ton of play at my table and takes about 15-20 minutes to play.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
I actually found Twilight Struggle pretty easy to teach to my dad.

He has played a lot of Power Grid with me, but not much else outside of Catan.

We went through the rules and it took about half of a "turn" for him to figure his strategy out and go nuts. He is a history buff though so that may have helped a bit.

Also check out Aton. It's been getting a ton of play at my table and takes about 15-20 minutes to play.
Yeah me too but similarly my dad also has a good amount of strategy-game experience even though he's hardly a hobbyist. With my friends with little to no strategy-game experience, I've taught it but it's a tougher go. It's just superficially intimidating for starters; the game looks a lot more complex than it is.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
Yeah me too but similarly my dad also has a good amount of strategy-game experience even though he's hardly a hobbyist. With my friends with little to no strategy-game experience, I've taught it but it's a tougher go. It's just superficially intimidating for starters; the game looks a lot more complex than it is.

Agreed. The first time I unboxed the game it looked impossible.

I actually think it is easier to teach than 1960 because of the debates and GOTV sections which are basically completely different games that you have to gameplan for the entire game without knowing the impact the first time you play.

StoOgE

platypotamus said:
Not showing up on olwlg for me yet, but I'll give it a go again if it does show up.

yeah, the guy running it forgot to ask JeffyJeff (the OWLG guy) to add it. They think they will get it later today.

You can add your stuff to the geeklist now in anticipation of the OWLG if you want. Typically the earlier your items are listed, the more people who "want" them. That's what I did.

StoOgE

Seaside is here. The guy paid to overnight it since it took him nearly 3 weeks to mail it to me.

Those little metal pieces that come with it are super nice. I'm impressed.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Today is my birthday. For Christmas/Birthday combined my haul is as follows:
Catan: Seafarers (we played a game on Christmas night with my brother-in-law. Really fun)
Settlers of Catan: 5 and 6 Player Expansion
Rummikub (might be weird, but I've heard this is good and have always wanted to trt it. Don't know the first thing about playing it yet.)
Stratego (I've actually never played this classic. Will be playing with the wife tonight before bed.)
Scrabble Slam (fun, quick little ice breaker style game. Fun for a quick lark I guess. played it on Christmas night and the crowd was casual enough for it to be pretty fun.)

slayn

needs to show more effort.
These holidays have been pretty interesting. I never would have guessed that my family would have so much trouble with Race for the Galaxy.

I've brought home many games to play with my parents. They love fury of dracula, dominion, and even agricola. But even after like 10 games they still don't understand Race for the Galaxy at all. We basically have to play the entire game with our hands face up so I can explain what every card does.

The reference cards don't help in the slightest. Who knew RFTG would be so, SO much harder to play than Agricola.

MichaelBD

slayn said:
These holidays have been pretty interesting. I never would have guessed that my family would have so much trouble with Race for the Galaxy.

I've brought home many games to play with my parents. They love fury of dracula, dominion, and even agricola. But even after like 10 games they still don't understand Race for the Galaxy at all. We basically have to play the entire game with our hands face up so I can explain what every card does.

The reference cards don't help in the slightest. Who knew RFTG would be so, SO much harder to play than Agricola.
I gave up trying to teach Race for the Galaxy. Luckily the game group I hooked up with will play it now and again because it's one of my favorites, but I've tried teaching it multiple times and the combination of iconography, terminology, and diversity of cards is too much for most non-gamers to handle. It's sad.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
So, I introduced Citadels/Machiavelli to my parents. My dad was kinda picking it up after a few games. My mom had a pretty hard time grasping everything. Of course the game is a lot of things: counting cards, developing a strategy, bluffing, managing cards and money, etc. Probably kinda daunting for someone used to games such as Monopoly. Definitely an age gap going on there. Still, think they kinda enjoyed it so I'll try it out some more with them.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just playe TTR:Nordic for the first time with the kids. My littlest is only 6, and got a bit too obsessed with one destination at a time, so she ended up with a huge hand of cards, waiting for one particular route. It just so happened that she had 6 red cards and 12 others for the huge Murmansk route, earning her 27 points and tying with her older brother. He wasn't too pleased about me explaining the wildcard rule :p

Thrashed them both by completing 9 destination cards. I was lucky that several times i'd draw destination cards and my route was already complete so i'd immediately draw again.

Not much blocking going on as we were all learning the ropes.

MichaelBD said:
I gave up trying to teach Race for the Galaxy. Luckily the game group I hooked up with will play it now and again because it's one of my favorites, but I've tried teaching it multiple times and the combination of iconography, terminology, and diversity of cards is too much for most non-gamers to handle. It's sad.

I've seen many hardcore gamers take picking up the game slow, I wouldn't expect much from casuals. The card design is just not friendly at all, and it's not a game that one instantly learns like many other games that you usually will pick up after a few turns.

StoOgE

BattleMonkey said:
I've seen many hardcore gamers take picking up the game slow, I wouldn't expect much from casuals. The card design is just not friendly at all, and it's not a game that one instantly learns like many other games that you usually will pick up after a few turns.

Your only prayer at teaching that game is to get someone to play Puerto Rico (or San Juan) first to the point that they really have that game down and then try and explain RFTG in terms of those games.

But then you still have the iconography to get around. I gave up on RFTG at this point. I love the game, I will never sell it.. but man, just not sure I can ever teach this game to someone who doesn't really really want to learn how to play.

MichaelBD

StoOgE said:
Your only prayer at teaching that game is to get someone to play Puerto Rico (or San Juan) first to the point that they really have that game down and then try and explain RFTG in terms of those games.

But then you still have the iconography to get around. I gave up on RFTG at this point. I love the game, I will never sell it.. but man, just not sure I can ever teach this game to someone who doesn't really really want to learn how to play.
I tried the San Juan route. My wife and daughter both enjoy playing it. Got my wife comfortable with the concepts behind SJ and then set out RftG. Her eyes started glazing over 5 minutes into the instruction and within 10 minutes she got up and went to bed.

As with most games, the desire has to be there to learn. What I've found is either the game being taught has to be simple in design and concept or the student need to feel the "hook" for there to be any real success in teaching a new game. If it's simple than any initial rules frustrations can be overcome within a few game rounds (as long as the game is fun of course).

StoOgE

MichaelBD said:
I tried the San Juan route. My wife and daughter both enjoy playing it. Got my wife comfortable with the concepts behind SJ and then set out RftG. Her eyes started glazing over 5 minutes into the instruction and within 10 minutes she got up and went to bed.

As with most games, the desire has to be there to learn. What I've found is either the game being taught has to be simple in design and concept or the student need to feel the "hook" for there to be any real success in teaching a new game. If it's simple than any initial rules frustrations can be overcome within a few game rounds (as long as the game is fun of course).

agreed.. and as someone said before, with most games the rules become much clearer and the strategy starts to appear 3-4 rounds into your first game.

RFTG's learning curve is so insane that it takes 10+ games before you know what the hell you are doing. It's an extremely rewarding game once you get there, but you have to want to learn how to play.

Drey1082

StoOgE said:
agreed.. and as someone said before, with most games the rules become much clearer and the strategy starts to appear 3-4 rounds into your first game.

RFTG's learning curve is so insane that it takes 10+ games before you know what the hell you are doing. It's an extremely rewarding game once you get there, but you have to want to learn how to play.

The San Juan route is definitely the easiest. San Juan is an extremely similar, but easier play experience. Therefore, once the players have learned the basics of San Juan, those all translate over to RFTG. Then all your left to do is explain the symbols, which are much more intuitive than it originally appears. The game with the worst symbols that I've played is Bang! Even though Bang is an extremely simple game, the symbols they use aren't intuitive at all, and make an easy game a bitch to teach.

StoOgE

Drey1082 said:
Even though Bang is an extremely simple game, the symbols they use aren't intuitive at all, and make an easy game a bitch to teach.

luckily with Bang! there are only a handful of different cards so you can pretty much ignore the symbols and just explain the cards.

XiaNaphryz

Neverfade said:
You can come play it with me, I'll only charge you 50 bucks! :D

I gotta recoup this money somehow! :lol
No thanks, as I'm debating whether to spring for the Dust Tactics Deluxe Edition or not.

$300. :(

XiaNaphryz

Chorazin said:
Is it worth $238 to you for it to come painted?
I'm a sucker for limited edition stuff. Combined with my laziness plus how much I like miniatures to look awesome, it'd definitely be worth a couple hours of overtime. If only I was allowed to work some. :(

XiaNaphryz said:
No thanks, as I'm debating whether to spring for the Dust Tactics Deluxe Edition or not.

$300. :(

The figs are nice, the game is a bit lacking though to me right now compared to most miniature war games. It's pretty simplified game and basic set is pretty straight forward shooting back and forth match. I'm hoping the expansions add lot more depth and options to the game at least. It's a nice package, but compared to most wargames it feels a bit hollow.

The deluxe figs though look great from the pictures online, I just wonder if they will keep up and release deluxe figs for all expansions and such since it would suck to have the core set all fancy, and then a bunch of unpainted expansions :lol

StoOgE

XiaNaphryz said:
I'm a sucker for limited edition stuff. Combined with my laziness plus how much I like miniatures to look awesome, it'd definitely be worth a couple hours of overtime. If only I was allowed to work some. :(

I found the game to be really simple.

The rule book mentions a ton of unit types that aren't in the game, and the sort that you do have are basically of a "move x number of spaces, shoot if you are in range". Dunno, seems really simle for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom