• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many awful game stores. Best is when there is no one to take care of customers because the owner is in the back playing some card game or such.

We had a great game store that was like across the street from our house, it was fantastic and run by a nice family who kept it bright and clean.... sadly family issues and health forced them to close :(

Yaweee

BattleMonkey said:
So many awful game stores. Best is when there is no one to take care of customers because the owner is in the back playing some card game or such.

We had a great game store that was like across the street from our house, it was fantastic and run by a nice family who kept it bright and clean.... sadly family issues and health forced them to close :(

I'm going to try looking for a game store near where I live (moved recently). There's a group at work and my friends are increasingly in to good board games, but I don't really do much during the work week and need to meet new people around here.

Yaweee said:
I'm going to try looking for a game store near where I live (moved recently). There's a group at work and my friends are increasingly in to good board games, but I don't really do much during the work week and need to meet new people around here.

Most game stores are not really meccas of board gaming outside of selling the product. Table space is generally reserved for what brings in the money, card games.

We just had a big store open nearby that sells a bit of everything, has a huge board game and wargame selection, but the gaming tables were immediatly taken over within a few days of opening by card gamers and there usually is no available space for any othe gaming. Card gamers have ruined alot of the local store atmospheres

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BattleMonkey said:
We just had a big store open nearby that sells a bit of everything, has a huge board game and wargame selection, but the gaming tables were immediatly taken over within a few days of opening by card gamers and there usually is no available space for any othe gaming. Card gamers have ruined alot of the local store atmospheres
Exactly. This is why we need way more places like that Snakes & Lattes place in Toronto. The real value for BG customers is not in buying games (which can be done way cheaper online unless the B&M retailer is literally willing to lose money) but in having a nice space to play them in, and possibly a place to meet like-minded gamers. Then the establishment can charge a small cover and sell food & drink (as S&L does) and maybe a handful of board games to make money. I'm just pissed NY doesn't have a place like that. NY isn't at all a boardgaming mecca like you'd think it might be. Barely any real BG groups here at all. Compleat Strategist is a cool store and all but I'm not paying double CSI prices just to hang out there.

Flynn

BattleMonkey said:
Most game stores are not really meccas of board gaming outside of selling the product. Table space is generally reserved for what brings in the money, card games.

Source reserved nights for other kinds of play. But I have to admit the reason I started gaming there was to play the A Game of Thrones CCG.

Flynn said:
Source reserved nights for other kinds of play. But I have to admit the reason I started gaming there was to play the A Game of Thrones CCG.

Yea there are places that do reserve time for board games and such, but it always is at an awful time it seems around here because the prime time gaming hours are always given to the card gamers. One place around here for example does board gaming on Tuesdays.... at 2pm. wtf

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
BattleMonkey said:
Yea there are places that do reserve time for board games and such, but it always is at an awful time it seems around here because the prime time gaming hours are always given to the card gamers. One place around here for example does board gaming on Tuesdays.... at 2pm. wtf

Both major game stores here have board game nights on Friday or Saturday which is worthless if you have a social life or girlfriend who doesn't want to play board games.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
StoOgE said:
Both major game stores here have board game nights on Friday or Saturday which is worthless if you have a social life or girlfriend who doesn't want to play board games.
I have the opposite problem sometimes, game groups that have meetings at like 5:30 on Wed. when me and my wife don't get home until 10 usually Mon.-Thurs. (and are too dead tired to play anything during the week anyway). Sunday would be a good compromise but I rarely see groups that have Sunday meetings.

Artadius

My group meets every other Friday or Saturday (depending on what works best for our folks at the time). Works great because we're all M-F 8 to 5 workers with families and that weekend night proves to be the best time to have a diversion.

StoOgE said:

Eh for most anti social gamer types, that is perfect time and surprising. Most stores seem to reserve such prime time for all their major card game tournaments.

Chorazin

StoOgE said:

I play games with friends one night a week and my GF doesn't even bat an eye, she knows we have seperate interests and can't do everything together. Nor does she mind when I spend most of the daytime hours on Saturday playing Heroscape.

StoOgE

Good news..

looks like Citadels survived completely and only one card in Intrigue was harmed.

Their boxes are pretty bad, but I have everything drying out in my condo right now. I think they are both going to survive.

Woo Hoo.

Both would have been big losses to my beer and pretzels collection.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
Exactly. This is why we need way more places like that Snakes & Lattes place in Toronto. The real value for BG customers is not in buying games (which can be done way cheaper online unless the B&M retailer is literally willing to lose money) but in having a nice space to play them in, and possibly a place to meet like-minded gamers. Then the establishment can charge a small cover and sell food & drink (as S&L does) and maybe a handful of board games to make money. I'm just pissed NY doesn't have a place like that. NY isn't at all a boardgaming mecca like you'd think it might be. Barely any real BG groups here at all. Compleat Strategist is a cool store and all but I'm not paying double CSI prices just to hang out there.

I've actually thought about talking to the local board game shop.. I have a friend who owns 5-6 bars in town. I've thought about pitching them the idea of going in together on a joint venture. He supplies the bar, they supply the games.

There are a few bars in town that are niche (a bar with 80s arcade games, etc) that do pretty well.. and if you can charge for the table and serve beer and food it could be a pretty profitable. Especially if you put in near UT campus where 1) Bar near college 2) plenty of nerds 3) live in small apartments so they lack the room themself to play these games.

I know that the place I go packs in 40+ people every Tuesday. Throw in some casual friendly games and waitstaff who can teach them and I think money could be made.

Work out a deal with the gamestore and the bar could keep some stock of the more casual games to sell to people.

The problem with all of that is I'd have to do an actual cash flow analysis and I'm not sure that this bar would make more money than a normal bar because of space constraints. It would be more of a private karaoke business model than a bar business model.

Flynn

Our weekly group settled on Thursday night which wound up being pre-family/social life weekend duties. Worked pretty great.

Seth C

Well, board game night at The Rusty Scabbard wasn't too bad. I was right in that many participants were socially awkward, and the only foods served were Doritos with Mountain Dew, but at least it didn't smell like fart! I wasn't there in time to get involved in the hardcore game of something (Tiburn??) they had going on the main table, but there were 15-16 people playing various things. I played a few hands of a card game called Category 5, a round of Settlers of Catan, and two rounds of Dominion.

I forgot, I also got in a game of Guillotine.

At least you guys have game stores near you. The nearest one to me is 40 miles away. I'd settle for a store filled with smelly, socially awkward people if it meant getting a game store closer to me. Anyways, I went ahead and ordered Arkham Horror. I guess I didn't really need the $45 and I could use the three day weekend to learn the rules.

Chorazin

Played Thunderstone tonight at my friends house, he bought it after we played Dominion last week because he wanted more fantasy theme in the game.

Man, that game is just so slow paced, and the monster combat just seems tacked on JUST to make it not a straight clone of Dominion. I wasn't very impressed, and my Dominion box sat unloved for the evening. :(

Flynn

Seth C said:
Well, board game night at The Rusty Scabbard wasn't too bad. I was right in that many participants were socially awkward, and the only foods served were Doritos with Mountain Dew, but at least it didn't smell like fart! I wasn't there in time to get involved in the hardcore game of something (Tiburn??) they had going on the main table, but there were 15-16 people playing various things. I played a few hands of a card game called Category 5, a round of Settlers of Catan, and two rounds of Dominion.

I forgot, I also got in a game of Guillotine.

They should put that in their ad.

The Rusty Scabbard: "At Least It Didn't Smell Like Fart!" -- Seth C

MichaelBD

Chorazin said:
Played Thunderstone tonight at my friends house, he bought it after we played Dominion last week because he wanted more fantasy theme in the game.

Man, that game is just so slow paced, and the monster combat just seems tacked on JUST to make it not a straight clone of Dominion. I wasn't very impressed, and my Dominion box sat unloved for the evening. :(
Have you tried Ascension? It's a Dominion clone that sets up real quick and plays pretty fast too.

People complain about the random nature of the way cards are made available to players, but I like it for its simplicity and quick set up.

I haven't tried Thunderstone yet.

Chorazin said:

Yeah, I don't think I'm as down on it as you are, but I certainly wasn't dazzled with it. The monster combat does mix things up a little bit, but it adds a lot of modifiers that just serve to slow the game down. As opposed to the elegance of Dominion where you quickly add up your gold for a straightforward purchase, I would find myself at times in Thunderstone looking at my hand, and looking at the monsters to attack, knowing that there's some move to be made there, but having to start from scratch when the modifiers and penalties didn't add up.

All in all, I think it's all right. It has a certain appeal in that it's like Dominion, but isn't Dominion.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
platy alert -- he hates thunderstone

(never played it myself -- i can barely find enough time to play real dominion as it is)

AstroLad said:
Oh yeah? If that's the case, then it's probably worth noting that I was playing this mediocre at best deck-building game instead of playing that copy of Through the Ages that I keep saying I'll play sometime.

StoOgE

Tammany Hall's last 80 copies ever are up for sale right now.

I really liked the game a lot at BGG-Con.. but 61 dollars for a single game seems really steep.

StoOgE said:

I really liked the game a lot at BGG-Con.. but 61 dollars for a single game seems really steep.
Thanks for the heads up. $61 is a bit steep but I've been waiting too long for a copy to pass it up.

StoOgE

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Thanks for the heads up. $61 is a bit steep but I've been waiting too long for a copy to pass it up.

yeah, it's a brilliant game. But Xmas gifts wiped me out.

fenners

StoOgE said:

I loved it too & I'm damn tempted :-/

fenners

AstroLad said:
it's only got like a 7.1 at bgg, which is pretty low especially for a new game. is it really that good?

It's an area control game, set in New York in the era of "The Gangs of NYC", with players playing cubes representing the Italians, Irish etc moving into different areas of New York, while at the same time attempting to influence/win political auctions that allow them to lock down/manipulate the areas. It's relatively quick to play, easy to learn, hard to master, with some vicious coups available. I loved it at BGG.Con.

Looks gorgeous too.

Good review of it here.

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
it's only got like a 7.1 at bgg, which is pretty low especially for a new game. is it really that good?

It's a blast.. it's a very well done area control game with high screwage factor and some interesting mechanics (if you are elected Mayor you get VPs.. but then have to set your opponents up in staff positions that give them various powers for the next election cycle).

It is a really, really good game.

It is rated low because most people have played it once and it appears to have a run away leader problem if you don't play the game the way it was intended: making political deals with other players to screw over each other.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
looks cool; think i'll check it out. worst case i can probably sell it back for near cost considering the upcoming scarcity

StoOgE

AstroLad said:
looks cool; think i'll check it out. worst case i can probably sell it back for near cost considering the upcoming scarcity

probably true.

I'm really really tempted to pull the trigger still.

edit: did it. It was my favorite game of BGG and it's probably my last chance to get it unless they do another reprint (which seems unlikely given the super small size of the publisher).

fenners

AstroLad said:

It's already scarce and has been for a while; no online retailer has it in stock AFAIK.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
It's funny for the longest time I never sold a thing, but now I've just been prompted by lack of space more than anything. Think 150 (including expansions) is the sweet spot for me.

StoOgE

fenners said:
It's already scarce and has been for a while; no online retailer has it in stock AFAIK.

Stratamax is really small publisher. I think the run for this printing was in the neighborhood of 500 or so. I've been bugging them via email since BGG-Con for a copy of the game :lol

I'm actually glad to see they outsourced the production of this to Treefrog's guys. I only picked this up at BGG-Con because I thought it was a Wallace game :lol

I think you'll like the game too Astro. If you like El Grande this has something of a similar feel to it. It's also only slightly more complicated than say Small World to teach.

fenners

Last night's gaming session was Rise of Empires, another Martin Wallace empire building/civ-like game. Roman era, mix of conflict/engine building... This has some really neat turn mechanics - 3 "eras" with two turns in each, six actions per player each turn... Players choose an action in sequence, six actions each (with six types of action), taking up 'slots' on the action chart, as shown in the bottom right of this pic:

pic500704_md.jpg

But then in the next turn, you're taking "back" your action markers, repeating the same types of actions you selected before, with a gold cost for each marker to the left of the one you're picking up.... This works out really well - there's a real strong push to plan for that second turn & ensure you've got a good set of 'slots' available.

Actions are picking up resource tiles, city tiles (for VP), 'progress' tiles that let you tweak rules or get extra resources etc, trade (turn resources into gold/vp) & the all important expansion tiles that let you put new cubes out on the gameboard & attack. Attacks are deterministic - take away x of his cubes, y of yours, as shown on the card.

Every round, there's an upkeep of food & income. At the end of every era, you pay for each 'progress' & city you want to keep for the next era, and all the empires are demolished :) Every location gets its number of cubes halved, rounding down of course.

There's a strong element of build up/knock down, but not much luck (just the tile drawing at the start of each round). Our game was really close & I definitely want to play again.

Chorazin said:

I'm a hater too. Ascension is better, but still not great.

AstroLad said:

(never played it myself -- i can barely find enough time to play real dominion as it is)

Yeah my hate for Thunderstone is exceeded only by my love for Throu--

Steve Youngblood said:
Oh yeah? If that's the case, then it's probably worth noting that I was playing this mediocre at best deck-building game instead of playing that copy of Through the Ages that I keep saying I'll play sometime.

Damn it, Youngblood! This is the last straw! (Not really, different playtimes and all that, but still...)

AstroLad said:
It's funny for the longest time I never sold a thing, but now I've just been prompted by lack of space more than anything. Think 150 (including expansions) is the sweet spot for me.

That's probably about my sweet spot for ownership too. Unfortunately my storage sweetspot is about a third of that. Can't fit all my games in storage, and I'm only in the 60s I think.

Flynn

StoOgE said:

I'm going through the same debate with Vinhos.

Damn, Fenners, that pic made me reaaaaaaally want that game. Hawt board. Mmmmm.

Need to get through a whole game of Agricola before I can get another big one like that though. =/ But it's going on the list.

StoOgE

echoshifting said:
Damn, Fenners, that pic made me reaaaaaaally want that game. Hawt board. Mmmmm.

Need to get through a whole game of Agricola before I can get another big one like that though. =/ But it's going on the list.

Martin Wallace consistently has the best cover art period.

Peter Dennis does most of his art work, and the guy is just amazing.

My girlfriend has actually asked to play Brass and Perikles several times based on the box art alone.. they have an air of being something more sophisticated, seems to fit the general Martin Wallace "my games are extremely finicky but amazing" vibe well.

pic770317_md.jpg

pic138479_md.jpg

pic261878_md.jpg

pic429576_md.jpg

pic715611_md.jpg

Flynn

StoOgE said:
Martin Wallace consistently has the best cover art period.

Peter Dennis does most of his art work, and the guy is just amazing.

My girlfriend has actually asked to play Brass and Perikles several times based on the box art alone.. they have an air of being something more sophisticated, seems to fit the general Martin Wallace "my games are extremely finicky but amazing" vibe well.

pic770317_md.jpg

pic138479_md.jpg

pic261878_md.jpg

pic429576_md.jpg

pic715611_md.jpg

Nice cover art. But man were some versions of Steam fugly on the inside.

Flynn

StoOgE said:
yeah, age of steam is pretty ugly.

Steam and Railways of the world are nice though.

I'd call Steam serviceable. I kind of feel like the iconography at the top of the board says very little about what the roles do.

Seth C

Someone on Craigslist posted Dominion: Intrigue and Ticket to Ride: Europe at $15 and $20. They were still in shrink wrap, though the boxes were dinged up pretty good. Still, at those prices I had to.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I played Twilight Struggle for the first time last week, despite owning it for almost a year. I wish I would have played it earlier because it is really great. The first game was pretty rough. I had intentionally not looked at the cards since I knew my friend I was playing with hadn't touched the game either and it would put us on an equal footing. It obviously made coming up with a strategy near impossible, but it at least gave us both a feel for the game. It actually ended up being a quick game, because we screwed up the scoring system.

The second game went much better. We now each had an idea what the deck consisted of and when certain scoring cards could come up (and we figured out what we did wrong with scoring). This game went a lot better with a lot of back and forth in both the score and on who had control of parts of the map. I ended up pulling out a victory with the USSR with points a few rounds into the late war. I can't wait to have a chance to play it again.

My board game group also played Runewars for the first time last night. I like the map creation aspect of the game. It gives a bit of customization, without taking nearly as long to setup as Twilight Imperium or Starcraft. You can definitely tell the game is from FFG, since there are counters, models, and cards out the ass. With the amount of discard piles going on for the cards it was actually hard to keep track of everything.

I was surprised that combat played as small of a role as it did. It is pretty feasible for all of the players to just kind of hole up in their respective areas and just let your heroes roam around and complete quests to get the dragon runes. We had a small amount of actual fighting over a few cities in the middle of the map, but nothing major. I think in the future we might play the epic variation which will cause a bit more conflict. The actual hero mechanic I thought worked well. It really causes the game to play a lot differently from either Twilight Imperium or FFG's other massive games like that.

Over the next few weeks I should have a chance to play a few other new games, including Fury of Dracula and Zombie State. Really looking forward to both.

Volodja

Finally bought and played Puerto Rico after searching it for quite a bit. I played it with the same people I play Race For The Galaxy with, so explaining how it worked was pretty easy because of the striking similarities but at the same time the flavour is completely different.
In the end we only had one game and the rest of the time was mostly eaten up by Race For The Galaxy but we all enjoyed it, it's just easier for us to play RftG because we know it much better.
Too bad that my bag of workers is 8 pieces short so I'll have to find a solution for it.

We also played one game of DungeonQuest and one of Chaos in the Old World.
This was the first time I played DQ with someone else but it didn't really leave me that satisfied, it just seemd to lack anything driving me to care about what's happening: loot means nothing, only a few things you can find can be useful and even there it is pretty limited, fighting has no purpose other than damaging you and in the end the game seems to tend to just make you die bit by bit without nothing really particulary exciting happening. I'm thinking of trying Talisman to see if it is more interesting as a randomness-driven dungeoning game even if the idea of rolling a dice to move is not enticing, also the length is on another level compared to DQ and this could be a problem.

As far as Chaos in the Old World goes I only know that I lost because out of 4 battle rolls not one went over 3. Oh, well.

StoOgE

Volodja said:
Too bad that my bag of workers is 8 pieces short so I'll have to find a solution for it.

Email Rio Grande.

I had an issue with both Power Grid and Puerto Rico being short bits and I had replacements within a week in both cases.

The workers are critical in a 5p game as a game ending condition is to run out of them (and tends to be the most frequent game ending condition in my group).

I slightly prefer Puerto Rico to Race for the Galaxy, but you are right.. when you throw in the time and set up differences it's just much easier to go with RFTG.

That said, Puerto Rico is much higher on interaction and is much easier to teach to new players since the variable role selection is limited and you can explain to them what their options are when it's there turn to select.

Artadius

Looking for an elegant/cool solution to the 'Monster Cup' for Arkham Horror. One that can handle any expansions if I so choose to get them (not sure if any add any new monsters or not).

Big bowl o' monsters just doesn't do it for me.

Liking the game though. About halfway through my solo playthrough.

Group meets tomorrow night. Battlestar Galactica will be featured. Can't wait!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Artadius said:
Looking for an elegant/cool solution to the 'Monster Cup' for Arkham Horror. One that can handle any expansions if I so choose to get them (not sure if any add any new monsters or not).

Big bowl o' monsters just doesn't do it for me.

Liking the game though. About halfway through my solo playthrough.

Group meets tomorrow night. Battlestar Galactica will be featured. Can't wait!
hahah I just made a thread about this on BGG and I'm actually getting a bag custom made for what is imo really cheap on etsy: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/6085268

http://www.etsy.com/listing/65858335/custom-sized-monster-cup-for-astrolad

wife is out of town this week so i'm actually gonna check out a gaming group with a friend. seems like a good mix of people. i love both teaching and learning so i'm torn on what to do but i'm hoping for some merchants & marauders at a minimum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom