• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Artadius said:
According to a recent broadcast on Yucata, they're planning on publishing a new game every two weeks for the near future (I think I read that right...)

Great to hear if true, I'm really impressed with their implementation.
OMG. Any hints as to what games? If they get some more Z-Man games on there holy shit.

Anyone who joined recently can you post your usernames so I can add you? Also feel free to drop me invites I'm pretty much up for anything on there.

Sorry for taking so long on yucata, I'm on vacations and was internet deprived for the last few days.

I'd love to play some campaign manager when I get back, looks fun.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
damn you astro. You couldn't wait 1 turn for me to win Florida so I would crack 250 and feel good about myself could you?

My latinos were gonna come through for me.

choodi

Banned
The only game I know on Yucata is Stone Age, but I am willing to try anything that is not too difficult to learn on the fly.

Just send me an invite

shas'la

HELP ME OUT GAF!

There was an abstract climbing game posted in this thread many many many pages ago and i cant find it! The premise seemed to be about building up the mulitcoloured bricks higher and higher with little wooden people sitting ontop of it, can anyone help with a name?

shas'la said:
HELP ME OUT GAF!

There was an abstract climbing game posted in this thread many many many pages ago and i cant find it! The premise seemed to be about building up the mulitcoloured bricks higher and higher with little wooden people sitting ontop of it, can anyone help with a name?
The climbers, I made that post. I've also heard that cornerstone is good too but I've never played it and it isn't half as cute (a big factor to help me convince my wife/family to play a game).

Catan for the iPhone is on sale, has anyone played it? Is it worth it?

BomberMouse said:
The climbers, I made that post. I've also heard that cornerstone is good too but I've never played it and it isn't half as cute (a big factor to help me convince my wife/family to play a game).

Catan for the iPhone is on sale, has anyone played it? Is it worth it?
Catan on the iPhone is a decent port. The AI is tough and stingy as hell. The only multiplayer is pass and play and I haven't heard anything about them updating for online multiplayer. They recently updated with the seafarers expansion. The app comes with two free seafarers maps as well as the base map. Their is the option to purchase more in app.

Seth C

I'm the only one in the office again today, which means I have loads of time for playing Dominion. If anyone wants to play a game let me know.

Gryphter said:
goddammit, I want that Godzilla game posted a few pages back NOW, it needs to come out faster. My brain tells me to wait for reviews, impressions, etc, but the geek inside me needs it immediately

http://www.toyvault.com/Godzilla/Kaiju_Wars.html

I would wait on it, the company is somewhat new to board games with varying quality. The only real good is it being connected to Richard Borg apparently. I would also want to see if they support it further than just the 4 monsters it comes with.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I sent out some Pompei invites. Seems like a fun game. I'm almost considering making a separate thread for Yucata to draw non bgg-threaders in but don't have the time atm to make a nice full-bodied thread that would accomplish that. Yucata is just so good.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
damn just had an amazing game of campaign manager against the guy who was #2 on the rankings behind me. he had set up a public game and chosen obama (slightly cheap imo but i'm always up for a challenge and like i said above mccain can be way more fun to play). came down to literally the last two states. i had 3/4 red on defense in VA which was at the point full-on defense. he had just been picking up cards and had 7 to my 4 which had me a little wary, especially since the only card i had was "the original mavericks" which lets you gain one support in the minority issue so basically i was hoping he'd make defense the minority issue using one of obama's 2 "shift the issue two spaces to minority" cards. then waddaya know he does it and "the original mavericks" schtick gloriously wins the election for sarah palin. :D

most importantly i was mccain and got some horrendously bad timing on media support cards leading to a -6 card disadvantage that was basically purely because of timing which was i think a nice way of showing that there's a little bit of luck and mccain is at a little bit of a disadvantage but nothing close to gamebreaking or overly random in terms of the ultimate result

it's funny how it's a very abstract simplemathy game but if you were so inclined you could very easily construct a unique narrative for each game with all the swings and surprise moves

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Got the rules down for Pompeii.

Anyone up for a game of campaign manager or Stone Age?

I'd like a 2nd crack at both of those.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sarah.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
yeah even after 12 games or so even i'm still figuring out the game myself and i rarely use the same strategy, especially with mccain who that's very hard to do with anyway. but you did very good for your first game

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
here are the invites i have outstanding in case you guys are down for game but didn't notice (brackets = not yet accepted):

Campaign Manager 2008 (Random) [Worker stump]
Hey, that's my fish Worker Artadius[Worker joeyjoeshabadoo, Worker Mashing]
Pompeii Worker Choodi[Worker Mashing, Farmer JeremyH]
New: Arkadia (Random) [Worker StoOgE, Worker Seth, Worker Choodi]

Artadius

Yay, the Finca crown is mine for the time being :D

I only really 'got' the game about halfway through. Thankfully my strategy up to that point was fairly sound. Special thanks to Seth (I think) who ended the game early for me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Artadius said:
I only really 'got' the game about halfway through. Thankfully my strategy up to that point was fairly sound. Special thanks to Seth (I think) who ended the game early for me.
Yeah I read the rules and then it took us a while to start and I had forgotten them by then and pretty much just knew about how moving worked and a little about selling. Near the end I finally went back and had a few aha! moments. Not a terrible way to learn a game all told.

Agyar

Just got my new games order in. Included Cutthroat Caverns and an expansion but the expansion is still backordered so I'm hoping the base game isn't so dry as to turn people in my group off it.

Also got Race for the Galaxy and Dominion: Alchemy.

Mashing

You know, I like Yucata but it's really annoying that the chat window doesn't pop up automatically when someone types something in the chat window

Neverfade

The shark has been jumped.

Arkham Horror's expansions are ....getting an expansion.

"Miskatonic Horror includes:

* New Skill, Gate, and Mythos cards for the Arkham Horror base game
* Additional Exhibit Item cards for Curse of the Dark Pharaoh
* New Injury, Madness, Dunwich Location, and Dunwich Horror cards for Dunwich Horror, as well as an all new Dunwich Horror Herald sheet
* More Blight and Act cards for The King in Yellow
* New Kingsport Location, Epic Battle, Blessings of Noden, and Visions of Hypnos cards for Kingsport Horror
* Over 20 new Cult Encounter cards for The Black Goat of the Woods
* New Innsmouth Location and Innsmouth Look cards for Innsmouth Horror
* Additional Relationship cards and Reckoning cards for Lurker at the Threshold
* Plus new Player reference sheets and a new Institution variant!

I'm glad I got out at the base level. :lol

TwiztidElf

My next purchase is definitely going to be a dungeon crawler. I'm not paying $1000 for HerosQuest on eBay, and I don't want DungeonQuest randomness.

So I'm thinking Castle Ravenloft. What's peoples thoughts on this one? Anyone know? Or perhaps wait for Wrath of Ascention (sp?).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
AstroLad said:
here are the invites i have outstanding in case you guys are down for game but didn't notice (brackets = not yet accepted):

Campaign Manager 2008 (Random) [Worker stump]

I'll be accepting sometime today, been a tad bogged down at work the last few days and the last time we played I was multitabling and ended up spending like 4 hours of work's time going from game to game on Yucata ahahaha.

Mashing

TwiztidElf said:
My next purchase is definitely going to be a dungeon crawler. I'm not paying $1000 for HerosQuest on eBay, and I don't want DungeonQuest randomness.

So I'm thinking Castle Ravenloft. What's peoples thoughts on this one? Anyone know? Or perhaps wait for Wrath of Ascention (sp?).

I'd wait for Wrath. Supposedly it's going to fix some issues people had with the previous game. I own Ravenloft, but I haven't been able to get it to the table yet (I saw a group playing it though and with a full group it looks really fun). Claustrophobia and Descent are safe bets as well.

Mashing

Neverfade said:

* New Injury, Madness, Dunwich Location, and Dunwich Horror cards for Dunwich Horror, as well as an all new Dunwich Horror Herald sheet
* New Kingsport Location, Epic Battle, Blessings of Noden, and Visions of Hypnos cards for Kingsport Horror

Pussy! Bring it on!

Neverfade said:

Yo dog, etc.. etc.. etc..

I went to the local boardgame group last night for the first time and I had a good time. I was a little apprehensive at first because they hold the meeting in some guy's house but everything turned out fine. I played Founding Fathers and Stone Age, both games for the first time.

Founding Fathers was pretty good. For a game that is essentially a meeting simulator it wasn't as dry as one would think. I ended up winning but it wasn't through voting as much as playing the debate track. I was able to get enough debate chits to pull ahead and keep my lead. Overall it's a game I would play again but I wouldn't say it was the greatest thing ever. Also supposedly, one of the designers used our group to play test the game before production. I don't know if he is a member or not but I thought it was kind of neat.

Stone Age was actually really good. I enjoyed the dice rolling/worker placement mix. I thought the dice rolling was a fun way to distance itself from Agricola. I ended up losing in this game but would definitely play it again.

Artadius

TwiztidElf said:

If you want something alot like HeroQuest, then Descent is the way to go since it has a human Overlord player working against the heroes. I don't think the D&D dungeon crawlers support an Overlord player?

Descent is a solid game. I just wish I hadn't have purchased the Road to Legend expansion because my group doesn't meet enough to make use of the mega campaign. I need to trade / sell it / math it on BGG I guess...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'd be more cynical about Arkham expansions if they weren't getting better and better with each one, with the exception of Kingsport (which is still good in the sense that you can play it with newbies as it's not a difficulty-cranker like the others). This may not fall into line with those themed expansions though. Looks like a lot of those though are based on the little variants in many of the expansions, which frankly I rarely ever play with to begin with. I think a cool expansion would have been one that fleshed out the base game or just generally added a ton of base items like encounters, mythos cards, items, etc.

I'm kinda partial to any game expansions. I hate it when they add a corner space to a board that just doesn't really fit right. Part of me would rather spend the money on a different game for more variety rather than more of the same game, but I do see the value of expansions; they can give you more cards, more characters, new mechanics... which are great for those games that you and your group absolutely love and want more of. I guess it really depends on the game, but I really can't stand corner addition board pieces; it just makes the board an awkward shape and takes up already precious table space

I am looking for opinions on the Catan expansions though. My group and I are new to Catan and we all love it. I don't want it to get too convoluted or unwieldy though; I think the beauty of Catan is that it's so damn easy to learn.

Gryphter said:
I am looking for opinions on the Catan expansions though. My group and I are new to Catan and we all love it. I don't want it to get too convoluted or unwieldy though; I think the beauty of Catan is that it's so damn easy to learn.
Seafarers is the easiest to incorporate into the base game. It basically just changes up the map configuration, adds gold, and ships. My favorite expansion is Cities and Knights but it almost does exactly the opposite of what you are looking for.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What are these corner-space expansions you speak of? Not sure I understand the terminology.

I love expansions for the most part; the only downside is that they can very often turn an easily teachable game into something complex and for experienced players of that game only, so I often have to revert out of expansions when teaching new people.

Seth C

One of the local game shops is hosting an Arkham Horror demo tonight. I'm thinking of going, but I have some other stuff going on. I already bought the game so I really should learn how to play it.

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Seafarers is the easiest to incorporate into the base game. It basically just changes up the map configuration, adds gold, and ships. My favorite expansion is Cities and Knights but it almost does exactly the opposite of what you are looking for.
Thanks for the advice, I heard that Seafarers is the best of them and decided that I'd go with that first if we're taking that route, knowing it keeps it easy reinforces that decision

AstroLad said:
What are these corner-space expansions you speak of? Not sure I understand the terminology.
like this!
pic754110_md.jpg

Blech, it's hiiiideous!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Interesting . . . don't think I've ever played a game like that.

Arkham adds cities but that thing is already so heinously big.

Artadius

To be fair, Talisman is already a pretty clunky game to begin with. Fun, but clunky.

I base my expansion purchases on how often I get to play the game.

As often as our group plays BSG, I'll for sure be getting those expansions... also the TTR 1910 expansion since my wife and I play it so much.

I have Arkham Horror but it never gets brought to the table and probably won't very often...so the base set will likely do me just fine.

@Artadius Yeah, I played Talisman once and loved it, I'm hoping to introduce it to my group tonight but I have a feeling they'll want to play Catan. I've read that Talisman can run long and we have to call it an early night tonight, so maybe we'll save it for next time. I can assure you I won't be getting those expansions, though.

For BSG, do you need to be a fan of the show to enjoy? I hear nothing but good about that game but don't want to try it if you need to have seen the show, which I'll be getting to but not anytime soon

Played Le Havre last night for the first time and it was also my first time playing a complicated game. I really liked it but I was confused on what to do and it kind of seemed like everyone else (people who've played before) was just doing stuff with no long term strategy in mind. I had a hard time managing food and money so I was constantly taking out loans and I also bought a pretty useless building early on. But I did like the game and I can't wait to try it again, now that I have a better idea on what to do.

Artadius

You don't need to have even watched the show to love the BSG boardgame. We've got a few people in our group that haven't watched it yet... and a few who hadn't watched it yet but have gone on to watch it just because they love the game so much.

Speaking of BSG... we just started a new Play by Post game of it + Pegasus.

Baltar player was first player to go in the new game. He was an unrevealed cylon from the start. His crisis card was 'A Verdict of Guilty' which gives the Admiral (Cain in our game) the option of executing the current player.

The Cain player did it for obvious reasons (Baltar has a slightly better chance at being a cyon) and its early enough that confirming someone's loyalty for the rest of the game that early is worth the possible loss of morale.

LOL, fastest Cylon reveal ever.

Played two more games of Innovation yesterday, still just 2P games with the wife. She won both of them, the first one she lead the whole time, but I was gaining ground. The second was bouncing back and forth all game, and had I taken a safer action on my last turn, I would have (at least) delayed her victory.

We're both really loving this one and the expansion coming this year is rocketing up our want list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom