• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LProtag

Fletcher said:
Anyone play 7 Wonders yet? And if so, any good?

My friends and I are waiting for the reprint because copies of this first edition are going for insane prices.

Then again, my one friend who usually buys most of the games is in charge of finding this one, it might have already been reprinted for all I know. Looks fun.

Fletcher said:
Anyone play 7 Wonders yet? And if so, any good?
7 Wonders is great. The entire game revolves around a card drafting mechanic. You get dealt 7 cards and you choose which one to play then you pass your hand to the left or right depending on the round. Each card has a cost associated to it and some can be built for free depending on what you built before it.

7 Wonders has potential to be a great gateway game. The icons aren't too confusing and the core gameplay can be taught fairly quickly.

I haven't played too many games of it but it seems to be a hit with my group of both experienced gamers and newbies. So yeah, if you can find it pick it up.

dogbert

I'm torn on 7 Wonders. I've enjoyed it, but it feels very random at times; there's been games where I've had no chance to do well as I just get passed lousy cards to choose from when combined with what goods are available to me.

LProtag

Looks like some sites are saying the reprint is at the end of March. Probably will pick it up with my friends.

Edit: Or actually it seems there was a small reprint that just came out, and a bigger one in a month? I have no idea anymore.

Mashing

When does the next print run of 7 Wonders come out? The control you have over your neighbors is actually one of my favorite aspects of the game. It makes the decision of which card to play very important.

Neverfade

dogbert said:
I'm torn on 7 Wonders. I've enjoyed it, but it feels very random at times; there's been games where I've had no chance to do well as I just get passed lousy cards to choose from when combined with what goods are available to me.
This is the reason I sold mine.

Well that and making a profit.

Had 8 people, 2 groups of 4, for Catan and Talisman on Sat. Being the owner of the game, I was with the Talisman group to teach others. We then played a party game called "Funglish." It's basically Pictionary where you have to make people guess the word, but instead of drawing on a board, you're given probably 50 tile pieces with adjectives on them and the board has slots for Definitely, Kind of, and Not. It was a lot of fun and ending the night with a party game was a nice way to dumb down the strategy but amp up the energy.

So the little cone markers they give you for Talisman instead of chits are a pain in the ass. I want to get some D20's to replace, does boardgame GAF have a preferred website to order from?

I'm probably not going to have much to do at work today, so feel free to invite me to some more Yucata games, and expect some more invites from me :)

Wish I could do some RftG or Dominion online while there, but I can't reliably be present for a synchronous game.

Neverfade

So Biblios, which I preordered back in November, finally showed up today.

Looks like a cool little auction game, like a bit more in depth For Sale.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
GG Platy.

That was my first Obama game.. much much easier with him than McCain.

I was essentially building a hand with which to take Florida.

Also, has anyone seen Seth? I want credit for that game of Arkadia we have rocking.

StoOgE said:
GG Platy.

Also, has anyone seen Seth? I want credit for that game of Arkadia we have rocking.

How did you take Florida? Watching the replay doesn't show me what card(s) you played on that last turn? You must have had some card that gave you 2 economy points?

EDIT:

I'm going to invite people to a couple games of Roll Through The Ages, since I like regular Through the Ages so much. Read the rules and it seems like a glorified Yahtzee, which should be pretty fun for yucata.

StoOgE said:
I had a going negative card that allowed +2 econ for discarding two cards.

I think when a negative card is played the other side should get to evaluate the die roll before you score the state. I guess that would sort of limit their utility as stalemate busters though.

StoOgE

platypotamus said:
I think when a negative card is played the other side should get to evaluate the die roll before you score the state. I guess that would sort of limit their utility as stalemate busters though.

Yeah, if you could apply a going negative result to a state winner it would make the card almost worthless. That said, using it to end the game makes it really powerful since there is no negative result applied.

StoOgE said:
Yeah, if you could apply a going negative result to a state winner it would make the card almost worthless. That said, using it to end the game makes it really powerful since there is no negative result applied.

I suppose that might be fairly realistic for the theme though. Go negative right before the election and there's no time for the backlash before votes are cast?

StoOgE

Man..

just got back from a local comic shop/game store.

I just really can't buy a game there. I got my bonus check at work and was going to spend about 100 dollars of it on board games and figured I might try and pick them up in person since my girlfriend and her brother and sister in law are coming over tonight. I was hoping to grab Stone Age or Fresco as a nice medium-light game that we would all likely enjoy.

55 dollars for Fresco, 60 for Stone age. For that combined price on CSI I can get both of those games + the missing Dominion expansions. Just stupid how pricey these things are at MSRP.

I think Tammany Hall is going to be our medium light game for the evening instead. After playing it a few more times I consider it to me a pretty easy game all things considered.

That, and it finally cracked the top 1000 games.. WOO HOO!

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Luckily for me, my local game store discounts most games that I have seen by 20% so it is much closer to online prices and much easier to justify buying games locally. I usually only buy a game at a time, so I can't get free shipping at CSI or TH.

StoOgE

Yaboosh said:
Luckily for me, my local game store discounts most games that I have seen by 20% so it is much closer to online prices and much easier to justify buying games locally. I usually only buy a game at a time, so I can't get free shipping at CSI or TH.

I haven't done a large board game order since October.. so I feel I am due one, but I really need to get rid of some games first.

StoOgE

speaking of orders..

I'm looking for good light-medium games.

I'm looking at Stone Age, Fresco and Kingsburg (my trade deal fell through). Anyone have any other good suggestions? I'm looking for something with a bit more meat on it's bones than TTR or Small World but less than say Puerto Rico.

The girlfriend isn't fond of brain burners and is looking for shorter games but her brother gets extremely bored playing gateway games. Though I think he'll like Dominion tonight and I'm sure Tammany Hall will be up his alley.

Anything that lets you build your own thing like Agricola would be great too. She hates that game, but plays it soley to build a cute farm. So anything along those lines would be a bonus (she did not fall for the island in Puerto Rico being the same thing).

Catan kind of occupies the difficulty level I'm looking for. Playing in 60-90 minutes would also be ideal.

StoOgE said:
speaking of orders..

I'm looking for good light-medium games.

I'm looking at Stone Age, Fresco and Kingsburg (my trade deal fell through). Anyone have any other good suggestions? I'm looking for something with a bit more meat on it's bones than TTR or Small World but less than say Puerto Rico.

The girlfriend isn't fond of brain burners and is looking for shorter games but her brother gets extremely bored playing gateway games. Though I think he'll like Dominion tonight and I'm sure Tammany Hall will be up his alley.

Anything that lets you build your own thing like Agricola would be great too. She hates that game, but plays it soley to build a cute farm. So anything along those lines would be a bonus (she did not fall for the island in Puerto Rico being the same thing).

Catan kind of occupies the difficulty level I'm looking for. Playing in 60-90 minutes would also be ideal.

I'm still looking for a game like that, the holy grail of a medium civ game that plays in an hour. Stone Age comes very close if not for the fact that the player mats and scoring are somewhat abstract.

Have you looked into Thebes? theme is solid, short, easy to teach and your are "building" your exhibition. Another good option is alhambra since you are building your own palace and the big box comes with 25 modules, so you can add as much meat as you want.

platypotamus said:
Sure, I'm always in.

Anyone else for a game of trias?

Neverfade

Astro, I know you do, or did, own Hannibal... did you ever get that to the table?

Thanks to CM08, I'm kinda back into this CDG idea after 1960 really turned me off on it. Obviously Twilight Struggle is on my list, but I've always had my eye on Hannibal and wonder how that one plays.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I saw that someone invited me to Pompeii and I may have accidentally declined. I'm always up for some Pompeii!

Neverfade said:
Astro, I know you do, or did, own Hannibal... did you ever get that to the table?

Thanks to CM08, I'm kinda back into this CDG idea after 1960 really turned me off on it. Obviously Twilight Struggle is on my list, but I've always had my eye on Hannibal and wonder how that one plays.
Don't make me think of my backlog right now! (No, unfortunately, I do still have it though -- it survived the purge.)

AstroLad said:
I saw that someone invited me to Pompeii and I may have accidentally declined. I'm always up for some Pompeii!

That was me, I thought, but my interface doesn't show you as any different from an accepted invite. So I don't know?

schnell

One of the guys in my group just ordered Trias. I'm pretty excited. I also can't wait to figure out how to incorporate the dinos into Carcassonne...

StoOgE said:

Rattus is maybe a little lighter than you want, but pretty fun, odd little area control game. Kind of a lighter version of El Grande, which might actually be closer to the depth you want, but on the heavier/longer side.

Arkadia maybe?

Kachina is a pretty fun tile laying game. Probably lighter than Carcassone though, so maybe too light?

Galaxy Trucker possibly longer than you want, but I consider it pretty light. Robo Rally the same?

LProtag

Yeah, I have an amazing local gaming store near me that has almost all the big games and nearly every game I want, I just can't justify spending retail price when I can get stuff so much cheaper online. Usually my friends and I do coolstuffinc orders over 100 at a time to get free shipping, so we wait until a bunch of stuff we want is out before making an order.

It'd be nice to support the local place, it's just not cost efficient for me at all.

Seth C

StoOgE said:
GG Platy.

Sorry about that. The thing failed to send me the e-mail saying it was my turn so I just assumed the game had ended.

choodi

Banned
Has anyone experienced any cheating on yucata.de?

I was just winning a game of Othello and suddenly the other guy just took over half the board.

No way he could have gained as many tiles as he did in one turn.

WTF?

StoOgE

Seth C said:
Sorry about that. The thing failed to send me the e-mail saying it was my turn so I just assumed the game had ended.

no worries, I'm doing pretty well in that one and had a move all lined up I wanted to make sure I got to pull off :D

StoOgE

Played a game of Tammany Hall last night and was absolutely destroyed. I didn't get past 10 points because everyone just ganged up on me the entire time.

Anyway, game was a smash hit. Really went over well with everyone. I think it's mechanically simple enough, but the player interaction keeps it really fresh and means that no one can "solve" the game.

StoOgE

Just placed my board game order:

Dominion: Intrigue
Dominion: Prosperity
For Sale (I love this stupid little game more than I should.. like, might be in my top 10)
Stone Age

I really wanted Fresco and Kingsburg.. but I'm looking for an easy quick playing game for my girlfriend and I and Fresco and Kingsburg both seemed a bit heavier than what I was looking for. Maybe in a future order.

StoOgE

Neverfade said:
Please tell me this is because you already own Seaside.

I do already have seaside and love it.. but the more cards the merrier.

Dominion expansions are one of those things that I know I should have bought long ago, but whenever I pull the trigger a brand new game always seemed smarter since it would be "different".

But I have realized I've wound up with a ton of games I rarely play and would be better off making games I do play already more varied.

Seaside is disqualified from being the #1 expansion due to the Pirate Ship. Alchemy due to Possession. It's between Prosperity and Intrigue based purely on neither of them having one of the two worst cards in the game :)

Cyan said:
Saboteur is worse than either.

It is not! You can't ignore pirate ship with the vast majority of set ups, but you can ignore saboteur pretty safely much of the time. And possession slows the game down ridiculously. Boo, I say, boo!

LProtag

Honestly, I like the idea of Dominion and deckbuilding, but for some reason the game just doesn't click with me. I always find I have no real idea what I'm doing and sorta just go through the motions and usually come in last.

That being said, there's a few similar games that I manage to understand pretty fine. A bit odd.

StoOgE

Lost a game of Twilight Struggle in the 4th round tonight as the US. I was doing ok in Europe the first round but was dominated in Asia.. then the mid-east scoring came up two turns in a row and despite fighting for it, I lost it both times.

Then the asia scoring card came back up and ended the game in the headline phase :(

BOO

Anyone here paint their figures? This week I'm painting my 2nd set, going slow with 1 figure a night. I wasn't too happy with the wood stain "Dip" method, so I'm trying Future "Magic Wash" this time. Everyone has their own recipe, but I'm thinking of using this one I found online

1 oz. Higgins Black India Ink
1 oz. Higgins Brown Ink
5 oz. Future Floor Finish
2 oz. Distilled Water

Anyone use Magic Wash before? Care to post your own recipe or results?

Unison

So, I'm going to PAXEast next week, as several people in this thread are. I want to do a lot of tabletop gaming, but don't have any convention experience. How many games from my collection should I plan on bringing? I assume there will be some games available for use or brought by other players, but I also noted on the convention map that there are something like 2600 seats in the Tabletop area, so maybe there aren't a lot of convention games to go around. Maybe someone with past experience can give some advice?

I was thinking of maybe bringing some new stuff (Mansions of Madness, Cargo Noir, London, Conquest of Planet Earth) as it would probably be easy to find people who'd like to try those games out. I'll also probably bring a few filler games that are compact and easy to teach at a moment's notice.

Not trying to overthink this... just don't have a sense of what's best for the situation! Advice would be appreciated!

explodet

Me and my crew have been enjoying the hell out of Castle Ravenloft/Wrath of Ashardalon. All the one-shot adventures have essentially been won by the skin of our teeth, especially the last one - we took on the dracolich in Ravenloft, my Fighter went down and we were out of healing surges, but the rest of the team was able to take it down before it was my turn again so we won!

We picked up Mansions of Madness recently, and we all agree that we won't be as successful with this game than we have been with the D&D games. But we need a few days before we can play because we need to hire a lawyer to interpret the rulebook.

StoOgE

Unison said:
Not trying to overthink this... just don't have a sense of what's best for the situation! Advice would be appreciated!

Are you flying or driving?

I haven't been to PAX, but I was at BGG-Con and found bringing a couple of games you *know* you are going to play isn't a bad move. I totally overdid it.

Pax may be different though since BGG-Con has a giant fucking library.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Unison said:
So, I'm going to PAXEast next week, as several people in this thread are. I want to do a lot of tabletop gaming, but don't have any convention experience. How many games from my collection should I plan on bringing? I assume there will be some games available for use or brought by other players, but I also noted on the convention map that there are something like 2600 seats in the Tabletop area, so maybe there aren't a lot of convention games to go around. Maybe someone with past experience can give some advice?

I was thinking of maybe bringing some new stuff (Mansions of Madness, Cargo Noir, London, Conquest of Planet Earth) as it would probably be easy to find people who'd like to try those games out. I'll also probably bring a few filler games that are compact and easy to teach at a moment's notice.

I am supposed to go but my odds are now dire thanks to recently getting slammed with work and other things. :/

There was a library last time that had lots of games. Pretty much all the popular BGG stuff. I lugged a big bag of games but rarely pulled stuff from it since the library was very solid. I dunno if that will change this year because of more players perhaps. Also if you like Ameritrash you might have a slightly harder time getting stuff as it is a very Ameritrashy crowd. I think your idea is good -- bring new stuff or more obscure stuff that they probably won't have, and then anything you just absolutely HAVE to play.

Unison

Getting a ride up with a friend / Amtrak back... I will be able to fit all of my other stuff in a backpack, so it won't be an issue bringing a few games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom