• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

ultron87

Do you all get the additional Applecare coverage?

I'm only using mine in the home, so I feel like there aren't that many horrible calamities that can befall it.

MontTrain

Banned
Damn im possibly gonna buy my first apple product.

Can anyone tell me if you can play x264 MKV content on IPADs or do you need to convert it?

Or are there apps that can play it on the fly?

I use AVPlayerHD to drag and drop onto device in iTunes or Airvideo to stream from PC. 720p mkv

Gowans

I have a 32gb HO touchpad and a battered at the back 16gb iPad 1, wonder how many £s I can get for them to put towards a new IPad.

Zzoram

I use AVPlayerHD to drag and drop onto device in iTunes or Airvideo to stream from PC. 720p mkv

So AVPlayerHD can play 720p mkv no problem on an iPad 2? What about 720p mp4? Can you then use the HDMI adapter to output to your TV?

does "dual-core A5X with quad-core graphics" mean a dual-core cpu with a quad-core gpu?

Yep. The iPad 3 has the same dual-core CPU as the iPad 2, but probably clocked slightly higher. It also has the same GPU as the iPad 2, but it's a quad-core version instead of the dual-core version in the iPad 2.

giga

Raistlin and brain_stew, lol:

haiay.png

smh.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Can't get the colors of the smart covers to display lol.

So Smart Covers, yay or nay? I heard the leather ones bleed or something.

Personally, i'd recommend a full case over any smart cover.
Protects the front, rear and sides from fall and scratch damage, adds almost no weight or added bulk to the device, and doubles as a stand.

I tend to throw my iPad around a little, I use it everywhere, on any surface, carry it around with me. If i'd have a case with zero rear-protection i'd be going nuts worrying about scratching it.
I stuck mine in the case when I got my iPad 2, and haven't taken it out since.
Also helps with the resale value, if the thing is 100% scratch free when you want to put it on craigslist in a year or two.

This is the one I have now.

Belkin_Smooth_Folio_Case_Hoes_iPad2_F8N619cwC00.jpg

Ordered my new iPad 64GB WiFi model and Apple TV earlier. Looking forward to the large leap in performance over my iPad 1 and the screen is going to be amazing to say the least.

AndTAR

I guess what really intrigues me most about this device is actually the graphical possibilities for games running at 1024 × 768.

If the new GPU is really twice as powerful, rendering at this "non-retina" resolution (which still counts more pixels than current-gen console games) could probably yield some pretty impressive visuals - I just fear it'll never happen, due to the weight of "Retina Graphics!" marketing labels on the App Store.

Tom_Cody

Will I be able to HD video chat with Skype?

I am going to preorder this and the new apple tv. This will be my first tablet.

So Apple dropped the price of the iPad by a decent amount in Australia (finally). The iPad 2 16gb was $579, it's now down to $539 (-$40) and the 32gb and 64gb models have dropped $50.

So AVPlayerHD can play 720p mkv no problem on an iPad 2? What about 720p mp4? Can you then use the HDMI adapter to output to your TV?
Yeah, I have an iPad 2 and I use the hdmi dongle for taking rips and such to friend's houses to watch on TV. Works extremely well, and lasts forever on a charge. Definitely worth the few bucks for the program. I've never tried 1080p, and I think that might be too much for the 2, truth be told... The New iPad™ can probably do it though, and that's part of the reason I want one heh.

edit: according to the product website it can do 1080p TV out on the iPhone4s, so it might work on the ipad2? Don't know, never tried it.

3N16MA

Banned
should I order 16 gb or 32 gb

Depends on how you use it. If it's mostly going to be an at home device where you stream and use Airplay a lot 16 GB could do. If you're going to be taking it out of the house a lot and loading content then 32 GB would be better.

Well...when I eventually trade this one in next year or second half of the year...

Hopefully we get

802.11ac
A6
New PowerVR GPU
Iphone 5 camera
Full Siri
Overhauled iOS
HDMI out wo dongle

But until then I'll enjoy the "new" ipad come next week.

Depends on how you use it. If it's mostly going to be an at home device where you stream and use Airplay a lot 16 GB could do. If you're going to be taking it out of the house a lot and loading content then 32 GB would be better.

I won't have any music on it or video, just apps

Also...if you travel a lot for business or vacation, it might be better to have the higher capacity unless you have a VPN to your home network using the blazing fast LTE/4G...

If you remain at home, have a way to stream via Apple TV or whatever and manage your files/apps using Itunes, you'll be fine with 16GB.

But if you start throwing photos, music, movies, documents and HD apps, 16GB will probably fill up quickly.

Vesper73

Also...if you travel a lot for business or vacation, it might be better to have the higher capacity unless you have a VPN to your home network using the blazing fast LTE/4G...

If you remain at home, have a way to stream via Apple TV or whatever and manage your files/apps using Itunes, you'll be fine with 16GB.

But if you start throwing photos, music, movies, documents and HD apps, 16GB will probably fill up quickly.

I just got the 16gb, because I am going to by iClouding everything I can. Games will fill it up fast though. We'll see. Note: I've had the iPad 1 since day one, and 16gb has been more than enough for the way I use it.

Ok so successfully pre ordered 16 gb wifi black

This is my first tablet. if I see the need for more, I will get it when the next iPad comes out

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I ordered the White 32 GB version.

Came out to be $616.35 after tax with company discount added.

Damn you tax!

What's the education benefit discount?

Had a 16 gb Verizon 4g one ordered, and then I decided to cancel it and change to Wifi only. I just really don't see myself needing 4g, and there isn't blanket coverage where I live anyways.

mrkgoo

Maybe that's the point? People will accidentally buy the iPad 2 instead of the "iPad" because 2 sounds newer, and it'll help them clear old stock lol.

This sounds insane to me.

Absolutely bonkers.

Are you asserting they have similar packaging not because it's elegant and they like it, but because they hope to fool people into buying a cheaper model?

They're not clearing stock of the iPad2. They keep it around for a low-price model. If they wanted to clear stock, they limit the supply and manufacture before hand. A la the Apple TV.

Where do people get this stuff from?

Top Bottom