• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next GTA needs to take place across a chain of islands (like Hawaii.)

The Next GTA will be Tokyo I'm sure they have done American (GTA 3), Italian (GTA VC), African American (GTA SA). Now all they need are Asian, Yakuza in the house playing off Kill Bill and the new films coming out of Japan. So with that a Hawaii Type level is possible. What ever they make will be huge but making a new engine from the ground up will take time I would expect not to see the game till 2008.

jarrod

Banned
Spazbiohaz said:
The Next GTA will be Tokyo I'm sure they have done American (GTA 3), Italian (GTA VC), African American (GTA SA). Now all they need are Asian, Yakuza in the house playing off Kill Bill and the new films coming out of Japan. So with that a Hawaii Type level is possible. What ever they make will be huge but making a new engine from the ground up will take time I would expect not to see the game till 2008.
I'm sure Capcom would like that too. :)

FnordChan

gta-a.jpg

FnordChan

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'd love to see some

I agree with the GTA: Down South one.. .and would like to see another game that takes place on the East Coast - have Boston, NY, Philly and DC in it. And of course, they need to start doing international cities - Paris, Tokyo, London, Berlin, Sydney, etc...

And, the next lead character should be a woman!

Mzo

Don't know if you guys have noticed, but they're making games off the cities they had in the original PC GTA.

I think the next game will finally be GTA 4.

WarPig

Grand Theft Tokyo would rule. Kinji Fukasaku doomed yakuza style. They could rip everything they wanted from Fukasaku and Beat Takeshi flicks and it would seem completely original to an American audience.

I have expressed my distaste with the violent content in San Andreas, but I would make an exception for a game where I could ram a pair of chopsticks up a guy's nose.

DFS.

nitewulf

i think the asian mafia is up next. GTA is pretty cliche ridden and predictable. they did the italians and the hood thing. next up yakuza, chinese/hong kong mafia/russian mafia and so on. once that stuff runs out, you may get undercover narcs/homicide cops and so on based in nyc, la, florida.

hobbitx

I agree with the GTA: Down South one
:D

Don't know if you guys have noticed, but they're making games off the cities they had in the original PC GTA.

I think the next game will finally be GTA 4.

I agree, I remember a while back they said in one of the earliest press releases before SA was even announced that the upcoming GTA would be the last game to use the gta3 engine and that GTA4 would be for PS3 on a brand new engine with all new features. I think it would be cool if they stick to this formula and make it tradition that each generation gets one numbered GTA set in Liberty and two side games.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Ninja Scooter said:
IIRC Rockstar came out and said that Vice City WAS Gta4, and San Andreas is GTA5.
Nope. Rockstar said that GTA3 was getting 2 expansions, them being Vice City and San Andreas. GTA4 was said to be slated for a next gen console.

hobbitx

Ninja Scooter said:
IIRC Rockstar came out and said that Vice City WAS Gta4, and San Andreas is GTA5.

I've never heard them say anything like that. In the press release I remember they specifically labeled SA and VC as sidegames.(not expansions) I know someone has to remember the press release, it was like the first info we ever got about SA. They even announced it and talked about it on Pulse.

aerodynamik said:
Several mock-cities across Europe. There's so many possibilities and stereotypes you can make fun of I wouldn't know where to start.

Though I bet the next one will take place in Vegas, god damn you all yanks :(.

why would the next one take place in vegas?

callous

I really wish the next one would take place in Tokyo, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Taipei or Bangkok. Man, Bangkok would be hilarious (and cool).

NO NO NO....

The next one should be in Hell.

GTA: Hell

thats right...and your one of the main characters from gta3, vice city, sa, who has died and gone to hell.

and now your a demon child and you kill other demons and do jobs and get closer to the devil or something, i dont know.

<edit>

Or GTA: Africa
and your apart of this african tribe and you must go around and spread aids and hunt animals

or GTA: Mars
and your arnold swartzanaeger(spelling?)

or GTA: BC
you are a shephard before christ arrived and you can go around do stuff like kill Noah and set his arc on fire.

peace

J2 Cool

The coolest ones I think would be GTA: East Coast, revisit it, or call it GTA: Liberty City. Or GTA: Chicago. I'm not that excited about the idea of Tokyo and don't think every goal of their's is to stereotype another race. But yeah, if they're going to remake the east coast make it on a new engine and for the PS3. Call it GTA4 definetly. I like the idea of a new engine each generation followed by 2 or so extremely well done cities for each engine.

The only thing is GTA is such a success, it's always a gamble to change, but at the same time if they do it now and they do it right, GTA4 could be the biggest gem in the series and they have the engine for years to come. But making GTA4 would be the most important and delicate thing rockstar has to do with this series since... ever. If GTAIII wasn't a complete success in 3D, nobody would have cared too much. Now Rockstar seems to be carrying the hopes of millions with each game.

What's the fascination with the East coast? GTA3 and VC both took place in that region. I, myself, would like to see GTA go international. Take place in one or more countries in the UK or somewhere in the Orient.

J2 Cool

VC was Florida. It was established that it was in a whole different area than Liberty City. Tommy Vercetti was supposed to take "down south". Liberty City meanwhile is the definitive city. Every character seems to have a link to it. GTAIII did it good for being the first 3D engine in a GTA game but since then the cities have developed into something far more amazing. They've always been the best cities in a videogaming and San Andreas is just mind blowing how good the city is. So why not go back to Liberty City and the surrounding cities in the east coast and make it as impressive as San Andreas which holds 3 different cities.

J2 Cool said:
VC was Florida. It was established that it was in a whole different area than Liberty City.
Not sure if this in response to my post but if it is, Florida's on the East coast, is it not? As for GTA's next destination, I really don't think there's anyplace else unique in the U.S. that fits the game style of GTA, content-wise. I think the series needs to head across the ocean for a bit of a cultural change in order to breathe some fresh air into the franchise.

Mr_Furious said:
Not sure if this in response to my post but if it is, Florida's on the East coast, is it not? As for GTA's next destination, I really don't think there's anyplace else unique in the U.S. that fits the game style of GTA, content-wise. I think the series needs to head across the ocean for a bit of a cultural change in order to breathe some fresh air into the franchise.

Well they've beat True Crime at its own game. Maybe go to London (in a modern setting) to take on The Getaway?

Do The Mario

Unconfirmed Member
I think the series needs to head across the ocean for a bit of a cultural change in order to breathe some fresh air into the franchise.

This is the reason why I hoped rockstar would only make 2 GTA games this gen, the over milking of the franchise might reduce the future sustainability of the series.

They have however made three similar yet superb games.

SolidSnakex said:
Well they've beat True Crime at its own game. Maybe go to London (in a modern setting) to take on The Getaway?
That's wasn't hard to do (re: True Crime) and I think GTA can hit up multiple countries in Europe, not just England. It'd be great to drive to different countries, all with distinct cultures and accents.

Seriously Speaking....

I would honestly like either 1 of the 3....

As one person said...GTA: Chicago aka GTA: CHI-TOWN

or

GTA: Detroit aka GTA: Rock City

or

GTA: 7 Cities <----would own Everything! Seriously....(if you dont know what 7 cities is, find out)

peace

suaveric

If they did Chicago, it might be interesting if they placed it back in the 20's. The only trouble I see with that is they'd have very little "hip" music to play.

suaveric said:
If they did Chicago, it might be interesting if they placed it back in the 20's. The only trouble I see with that is they'd have very little "hip" music to play.

yea right

kanye west, common sense, twista, etc

heh

belgurdo

Banned
suaveric said:

There'd be tons of swing/rag/"big band" type of shit if you're looking for hip 20s music, but other than country and classical I don't think there was much else during this era (especially since FM radio wasn't being heavily used at the time and people weren't really experimenting with playlists yet as a result.) Maybe setting the game in the 50s would be a better idea in terms of music selection, personality references and such

suaveric

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Mafia already covered that.

You could say True Crime already covered LA, but they did that anyway.

Here's an interesting idea for Chicago- what if they did something like Godfather part 2. Where half the game takes place in the 20s and the other half takes place in the present. You could see how the city evolved over time and with the present time have a soundtrack that all the kids will want to pick up.

If Rockstar insisted on keeping GTA in the U.S., I'd really like to see a significance in time, whether it be 50+ years back or in the future. Just thrusting the franchise into a new city like Chicago doesn't offer enough to me.

I predicted this would happen. That people would want bigger and bigger cities/game areas.

Personally I'm completely torn. I'd love to see update the PS2-era cities, Liberty, Vice and all of San Andreas and throw them all together and fill in the surrounding areas with countryside and have maybe a new city or two, somewhere like a New Orleans. But then I'd also like to see them do an Asian GTA with at least cities based on Tokyo, Hong Kong and Bangkok. But also I think Europe would be good to do. With more northerly cities like Paris, London, Berlin contrasting with more mediteranean places like Nice, Rome and Athens.

If I could have one mega wish it'd be to have all that in one game. Of course it'll never happen 'cause it'd take a team of 3000 5 years to make but one can dream.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Seriously, DC would kick ass... just think of all the missions you can do... go throughout the Mall, committing all sorts of crazy shit... and they definitely have to do an accurate rendition of NYC.

Top Bottom