• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The next Tiger Woods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ketchup Boy

So I searched if there was a U.S. Open for golf thread and sadly, there wasn't! Anyways, I was just wondering what golf-gaf thought of this 22 yr old Rory Mcllory winning his first major today in Bethesda, MD? Apparently, he owned everyone hitting 16-under-par total while the second place winner had 8-under-par. Thats really good, right? lol Anyways, heres an article from ESPN saying he's the official next Tiger Woods.

BETHESDA, Md. -- Rory McIlroy's life changed Sunday in ways that even he can't comprehend yet. And it's not just because he won the U.S. Open by what amounted to a mercy rule, or that the Congressional Country Club course's deflector shields were useless against him.

His life changed because with the first majors victory of his career, McIlroy officially became The Next Tiger Woods. And he did it while The Present Tiger Woods still might have a few fist pumps left in him.

"I was trying to go out there and emulate him in some way," said McIlroy, who grew up in the Woods era.

He did. His 16-under-par total (he doubled up second-place finisher Jason Day at 8-under) was Tiger-esque, circa 2000 at Pebble Beach. McIlroy could have contracted the measles on the back nine and still won with ease.

So now come the comparisons to Woods. Unless, of course, you want to compare McIlroy to his new BFF, Jack Nicklaus, whose 18 career majors victories remain the Maybach of all golf records.

Woods has been stuck on 14 majors wins since 2008. He has a bum knee, a bad Achilles and he's trying to find a happy place in his personal life. He's also 35, which isn't ancient, but it isn't exactly the go-zone of his golf career.

When McIlroy smooched the U.S. Open trophy Sunday evening, he was exactly 22 years, 46 days old. That's about 10 ½ months older than Woods was when he won his first major in 1997, but about 3 ½ months younger than Nicklaus when he won his first in 1962.

This matters because the majors clock is now ticking on McIlroy. Like it or not, you can argue that McIlroy might have a better chance of tying or surpassing Nicklaus' record than Woods does. Woods has a 13-majors lead on the Northern Irishman, but McIlroy leads Tiger in the health category -- no surgical scars on his knees, no emotional scars on his personal life. He also has at least, what, 20 more good years and 80 more majors left in his career?

"There's a long way to go, isn't there?" said McIlroy's agent, Chubby Chandler, who hinted that Rory might increase his U.S. playing presence. "Certainly he has the talent."

In that, there can be no argument. Like Woods, he was a child golf prodigy. Like Woods, he's off to an early majors start.

But Woods keeps the media at a distance. He talks, but he rarely reveals. McIlroy has been taught by his agent and by his fellow European Tour buddies, such as Padraig Harrington and Graeme McDowell, to treat the media not as adversaries, but as partners of sorts.

And then there is McIlroy's game itself. If his swing were any sweeter, you'd get tooth decay. It is built for decades of use. McIlroy hits it farther than some shuttle flights, he has a short game to die for and he has the right disposition.

"He's the best player I've ever seen," said McDowell, who won the 2010 U.S. Open, giving Northern Ireland the stateside back-to-back. "I didn't have a chance to play with Tiger when he was in his real [prime], and this guy is the best I've ever seen, simple as that. He's great for golf. He's a breath of fresh air for the game and perhaps we're ready for golf's next superstar and maybe Rory is it."

Hear that, Tiger?

McIlroy's career has been a series of lessons learned. He learned from shooting a crash-and-burn 80 the day after posting an opening-round 63 at St. Andrews a year ago. He learned from missing out on a playoff at the 2010 PGA Championship. He learned from the final-round meltdown 80 at Augusta National in April.

"Augusta was a very valuable experience for me," McIlroy said. "I knew what I needed to do today to win."

Dave Stockton Sr., the putting guru and two-time majors winner, has been working with McIlroy since after the Masters collapse. The advice he gives is simple: sloooow down ... enjoy the moment ... maybe even high-five a fan to break the tension.

What happens? During Saturday's round, when the birdies and fairways hit weren't coming as easily for McIlroy, he dialed back the anxiety. The proof was apparent on Page 6 of Sunday's Washington Post sports section.

The photo caption: U.S. Open leader Rory McIlroy slaps hands with 2-year-old spectator Alexander Nalda.

None of this means McIlroy is going to surpass Nicklaus. Or Tiger. He first needs to reach Greg Norman's two majors. Harrington's three. Phil Mickelson's four. Seve Ballesteros' five. Nick Faldo's six. Arnold Palmer's seven. Tom Watson's eight. Ben Hogan's nine. Walter Hagen's 11. Then it gets serious.

Right now, McIlroy has the one victory. But he conceivably could have had three by now. Maybe that's why Harrington, who has done the math and has observed McIlroy's early career arc, told reporters, "If you are going to talk about someone challenging Jack's record, there's your man."

And this from the No. 1-ranked Luke Donald: "I think he has probably the most talent I've ever seen from a golfer."

That's a lot of golf weight to put on the shoulders of the 5-foot-9, 160-pound McIlroy (10 pounds of it is curly hair). But McIlroy handled the train wreck at the Masters with dignity and grace, standing in the Augusta National locker room until we ran out of questions to answer. If he can deal with defeat, he can deal with success, right?

If anything, I think McIlroy's emergence will help energize Woods. I'm not ready to short Woods' tournament stock anytime soon. He found a way to win a U.S. Open on one leg. He'll figure out a way to win again on one that is surgically repaired.

First, though, he needs to fix his knee and Achilles with rest and rehab. He needs to fix his swing. He needs to find that happy place. When he does, the car chase of Nicklaus' record will begin again.

McIlroy started his own chase Sunday. He did what Colin Montgomerie, Sergio Garcia, Lee Westwood and Luke Donald haven't done -- win major No. 1. That's always the hardest part. Woods would say the same thing.

"Maybe," Chandler said, "it's the start of the Rory McIlroy era."

Not maybe. Definitely.

Gene Wojciechowski is the senior national columnist for ESPN.com. You can contact him at gene.wojciechowski@espn.com. Hear Gene's podcasts and ESPN Radio appearances by clicking here. And don't forget to follow him on Twitter @GenoEspn.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colu..._gene&page=wojciechowski-110619&sportCat=golf

Also, any thoughts from Euro-gaf since he's from Ireland? Is golf big in Europe, by the way?

mclaren777

Mcllory needs to stop choking at the end of major events that he's leading.

Once he has that fully under control, then we'll talk.

clemenx

Banned
mclaren777 said:
Mcllory needs to stop choking at the end of major events that he's leading.

Once he has that fully under control, then we'll talk.
I wouldn't claim knowing anything about Golf, but wouldn't winning a major be a good start to solving that issue?

clemenx said:
I wouldn't claim knowing anything about Golf, but wouldn't winning a major be a good start to solving that issue?
And setting a record while doing so, and leading all three days without a hint of choking. But naw, he still needs to prove he can win a major and hold a lead without choking :D

Tapiozona

Banned
ESPN is pretty much a tabloid for Sports. It's all about how sensationalized can they make their topics so naive people will go OMG, DID YOU SEE TIGER WOODS HAS BEEN REBORN?????

elrechazao said:
And setting a record while doing so, and leading all three days without a hint of choking. But naw, he still needs to prove he can win a major and hold a lead without choking :D
I do wonder though how he is going to react when he is in a major tied with three holes to go. Tiger had incredible mental strength in these situations. The book is still out on Rory. Rory jumped out to such a huge lead in this tournament that there wasn't nearly as much pressure the last two days.

yellowjacket25 said:
I do wonder though how he is going to react when he is in a major tied with three holes to go. Tiger had incredible mental strength in these situations. The book is still out on Rory. Rory jumped out to such a huge lead in this tournament that there wasn't nearly as much pressure the last two days.
True, but remember, tiger's never come from behind to win a major. He's kept leads and lost them, but never taken one.

Bill Simmons creating Grantland.com was a great day for me. It was the last day I will ever have any interaction with ESPN.com. ESPN has ruined sports viewing for me.

q_q

If he can play consistently like he did this weekend, he'll soon prove himself much better than Tiger Woods.

Cipherr

ryutaro's mama said:
LeBron won 0 championships and they called him better than Jordan.

True story.

This ain't basketball.

Seriously get that shit out of here, The NBA does that enough. None of that is needed here. Greatness is earned, not handed out on Layaway. An amazing display by McIlroy, and I'm glad it came as soon as it did after his meltdown a while back. But an amazing, record breaking in some regards, display is all it was. If its meant to be, it will happen, and we will watch. Give the boy time, he is very young. And yeah we do have a golf thread but for some reason its named Tiger Watch, instead of being named for the sport, and it doesn't get stickied. No clue why.

Edit: Espn....fucking figures.

McNei1y

ESPN is garbage.

I give the kid props and enjoyed watching him do his thing but premature titles are so stupid. ESPN is so tiresome.

Tiger isn't one of my favorite golfers but I really enjoyed watching what he did. I'd like to see that come back.

Tapiozona

Banned
q_q said:
If he can play consistently like he did this weekend, he'll soon prove himself much better than Tiger Woods.

Much better than Tiger Woods? How can someone be "much" better than one of the greatest golfers in history? And soon proove himself? It'll take him 10 years before he could even approach that sort of crazy assumption. He has 1 major... He needs 13 more just to catch Tiger and that's assuming Tiger will never win another.

Ketchup Boy

Cipherr said:
This ain't basketball.

Seriously get that shit out of here, The NBA does that enough. None of that is needed here. Greatness is earned, not handed out on Layaway. An amazing display by McIlroy, and I'm glad it came as soon as it did after his meltdown a while back. But an amazing, record breaking in some regards, display is all it was. If its meant to be, it will happen, and we will watch. Give the boy time, he is very young. And yeah we do have a golf thread but for some reason its named Tiger Watch, instead of being named for the sport, and it doesn't get stickied. No clue why.

Edit: Espn....fucking figures.

lol Man I searched for golf not tiger or PGA. We need to include golf in the title and get it stickied, asap! This stuff is getting interesting.

elfinke

While I agree it looked like the course was a tad on the easy side - the greens in particular had no fire or venom in them (and Rory made it look awfully short/wide as well), I still thoroughly enjoyed watching this years' tournament. Golf in HD is still quite a treat.

Of course, any comparison to former greats need to be held in check, as I'm sure Rory has been quick to say in any press conferences!

MaddenNFL64

Want to watch Tiger Woods dominate again. Not really looking to watch golf outside of that.

Need a Lebron-like presence in golf to generate my interest again.

MaddenNFL64 said:
Want to watch Tiger Woods dominate again. Not really looking to watch golf outside of that.

Need a Lebron-like presence in golf to generate my interest again.
Not gonna happen for tiger. His body is shot.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Ketchup Boy said:
lol Man I searched for golf not tiger or PGA.
There's a general golf thread for those who play and want to learn/get tips. The thread title is simply golf. For pro golfer stuff, there are yearly Tiger/PGA threads.

elfinke said:
While I agree it looked like the course was a tad on the easy side - the greens in particular had no fire or venom in them (and Rory made it look awfully short/wide as well),

Right, but again, if there were a lot of dudes crowding the top of the board, that'd be one thing. I mean, how many tourneys to you see someone just totally run away with? Most everyone else didn't find the course to be nearly as easy as he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom