• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Rowsdower

bp_banner.jpg

General Info
Published By: Electronic Arts
Developed By: Criterion
Platforms: Xbox 360, PlayStation 3
Release Dates:
---North America: January 22nd 2008---Europe: January 24th 2008
---Australia: Feb 7th 2008
---Japan: February 22nd 2008
Genre: Racer
Multiplayer: 2-8 (Online Only)
Official Website

Boxarts:
bp_360.jpg

bp_ps3.jpg

Features

The City
Enter Paradise City
Heaven on Earth, at least to road-raging, crash-causing Burnout fanatics, Paradise City is your domain and ultimate proving ground in Burnout Paradise. This expansive driver’s playground stretches across 250 miles and encompasses all sorts of road driving conditions, from fun-in-the-sun seaside cruising boulevards, to mountain roads and downtown gridlock. But regardless of what stretch of asphalt you find yourself on, the beauty of this place is that nothing is blocked off and your wits are at least as important as the horsepower under your hood when it comes to racing here.

city.jpg

Modes

Burnout Your Way

Along with wide avenues and crowded highways, the open game design of Paradise City is also jammed full of hidden side streets, back roads and alley ways. These can be used as short cuts in races, that is, if you know where they are. As you explore, commit these potential short cuts to memory because they will definitely come in handy in a tight race. And since we are talking Burnout here, players should not expect uneventful, genteel contests of speed and precision driving. In Paradise City players are always free to slam, shunt and wreck opponents in their bids for supremacy and they will. Also, new to the Burnout series, races can now start anywhere, anytime. Just pull up to a stoplight and spin your wheels to start one in one of five different event classes:

* Classic Race
* Road Rage
* Burning Route
* Stunt Run (new)
* Marked Man (new)

Instant Online
Burnout Paradise also keeps the mobile carnage coming while simultaneously setting the new standard in online social gameplay. With the new ‘Easy Drive’ feature you can find friends online and with the click of a button invite them to a race. Once they’ve accepted the race will start immediately. That's right, no more annoying wait times at online lobbies and servers. And keeping in touch with friends is easier than ever.

Team up or Takedown
In the winner-take-all universe of Burnout teaming up usually isn’t the first option that comes to mind, but on these rough and tumble streets it's a good option to keep in mind. With more than 300 FreeBurn Challenges packed into the game, players always have the choice of going it alone against the field as a whole or joining forces with up to seven of your buddies in user-created race routes. Either way, if you are victorious in your takedown you'll get the chance to talk some trash as you exchange Mugshots with your victim via an optional camera hooked to your gaming system or your gamertag/PSN avatar if you prefer to keep your identity on the down-low.

Showtime
Crash Anywhere, Any Time
And finally since a new Burnout release wouldn't be complete without a little something special in the wreckage department, Burnout Paradise continues the carnage with an update of its familiar 'Crash Mode.' Renamed 'Showtime Mode,' players can now crash, bounce and scatter their ride in any location and replay the wreckage over and over in slow motion. One of the most addictive and down right fun features of the game, players activate the mode by simply pulling both triggers on their controller and if they are good enough can also immortalize their Showtime moments on the leaderboards for all to see.

360 Achievements & PS3 Awards
Click

Bonus Car Codes

The codes are entered in the "under the hood" sub menu. Should work across all versions.

Best Buy car
--Enter "bestbuy"

GameStop car
--Enter "gamestop"

Wal-Mart car
--Enter "walmart"

Circuit City car
--Enter "circuitcity"

Micromania Car
--Enter "H211 1Z99 LZ00 00BB"

Steel Wheels
G23X 5K8Q GX2V 04B1

The Best Buy, Circuit City, and GameStop cars all require a Class A license to use offline. The Wal-Mart car and the pre-order "Wheels of Steel" car require the next one after that.

Will be updated. Let me know if you know any more.

Screenshots(Click to enlarge):

Videos:

Aggression Trailer HD
Lost Angeles Trailer HD
Guns 'n Roses Trailer HD
Demo Trailer HD
TV Spot - "Take Down" HD

Reviews:

1up.com - 9.0
GameSpot - 9.0
IGN.com - 8.8
Team Xbox - 9.2
Gamespy - 4.5/5
Videogamer - 9/10 + Video Review
Playstation: Official Magazine US - 10/10
Playstation Official Magazine UK - 9/10
GamePro - 5/5
EGM - 9/10
OXM - 9/10
EDGE - 9
Game Informer - 8,5/10
gamesTM - 7

(Will be updated.)

Gamertag Roundup (GAF Name - GT)

Rowsdower - mahelar
a Master Ninja - a Master Ninja
Xun - Volcanux
Livin_Lovin - DeadRenegade
burgerdog - burgerdog99
I AM JOHN! - FreakmanJ
MaizeRage25 - MaizeRage25
Eric WK - Eric WK
aidan - Space Donkeys
Opus Angelorum - Aranathos
INTERNET - pushpull
santouras - santouras
Duck - Duckracer1
dskillzhtown - dskillzhtown
C4lukin - C4Lukins
Gowans007 - Gowans007
ascully - Ascullylive
cmmart - cmmart
Median - Median87
crawlingpeter - meltingcones
besada - besada
Kobayashi - el koba
Martial Loh - Martial Loh
DrEvil - Mounlainman
UnholySpectacle - UnholySpectacle
Sasquatch - the bugenhoo
FatalT - FatalT
JdFoX187 - MasterFox187
TeTr1C - BuriedOblivion
Saterium - Saterium
CrapSandwich - whipmeyer
UncleScr00ge - UScr00ge
VOOK - VOOK
Shinraven - elysiumcore
dammitmattt - dammitmattt
dskillzhtown - dskillzhtown

PSN Roundup (GAF Name - PSN)

Big Nate - Diseasedyak
KTallguy - KTallguy
McLovin - Quarry
Remy - RemyVJA
Sykra - Sykra
joe211 - gengis
OatmealMu - OatmealMu
calder - caldermuyo
h3ro - m0nkeyhero
Elbrain - Alfred-abomb
Plinko - RedWingLion
BlindMonkey - BlindMonkey
WHOAguitarninja - WHOAguitarninja
cjdunn - cjdunn
krypt0nian - lastsonkrypt0n
Nightz - N1ghtz
DenogginizerOS - Denogginizer
neojubei - neojehuty
Mega Man's Electric Sheep - ElectricSheepNB
Tiduz - Tiduz
TTP - Bloody_Marcel (List full)
Mrbob - Mrbob2k7
EktorPR - EktorOni
Assembly Required - Memory Cure
replayy - replayy
gray_fox224 - riceman224
vercity82 - azmo85
bune duggy - allegate
untoldhero - untoldhero
Somnia - Somnia
kitch9 - kitch9
Sin - Numemonja
Doc Evils - DocEvils
Sirolf - Floris
nofi - nofi
LiquidMetal14 - LiquidMetal14
mysticstylez - SgtCaulk
DJmizuhara - DJmizuhara
Angelcurio - Angelcurio
Slaylock - Slaylock
steve - Asshandler
Ristlager - Ristlager
Kweh - ziggysays
ghostmind - ghostmind
plagiarize - plagiarize
-xBerserker- - xBerserker
bill0527 - Bill0527
Captain N - Captain_N
~Devil Trigger~ - Cydonian
Raw64life - Raw64life
Z_Y - Z_Y
xS1TH L0RDx - xS1THL0RDx
Nightz - N1ghtz
darkressurection - monkyofdoom
Dante - Jenovah
Linkzg - Linkzg64
krypt0nian - lastsonkrypt0n
Guts Of Thor - GutsOfThor
BeeDog - BeeDog
DarkUSS - DarkUSS88
studio810 - dkeane
moeB - moeBT
minimumhippo - minimumhippo
jaydogg691 - jaydogg691
CartridgeBlower - CartridgeBlower
dark10x - dark1x
Mister Chef - ridley182
Fistfulofmetal - Fistfulofmetal
Aladuf23 - Aladuf23
Dot50Cal - Dot50Cal
canoli2006 - Canoli201
B-Ri - B-Ri
ukas - ukas
andrewjnyc - Tyrion
Shearie - Shearie
lupinko - SuperkingGCNET

Soundtrack

* Adam And The Ants - "Stand And Deliver"
* Agent Blue - "Snowhill"
* Airbourne - "Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast"
* Alice In Chains - "Would?"
* Army Of Me - "Going Through Changes"
* Avril Lavigne - "Girlfriend"
* B'z - "FRICTION"
* Brain Failure feat. Dicky Barrett - "Coming Down To Beijing"
* Brand New - "The Archers Bows Have Broken"
* Bromheads Jacket - "Fight Music For The Fight"
* Depeche Mode - "Route 66 (Beatmasters Mix)"
* Faith No More - "Epic"
* Guns N' Roses - "Paradise City"
* Innerpartysystem - "Heart Of Fire"
* Jane's Addiction - "Stop!"
* Jimmy Eat World - "Electable (Give It Up)"
* Junkie XL feat. Lauren Rocket - "Cities In Dust"
* Jupiter One - "Fire Away"
* Kerli - "Creepshow"
* Killswitch Engage - "My Curse"
* LCD Soundsystem - "Us V. Them"
* Make Good Your Escape - "Beautiful Ruin"
* Maxeen - "Block Out The World"
* Mexicolas - "Come Clean"
* N.E.R.D. - "Rockstar (Jason Nevins Mix)"
* Never Heard Of It - "Finger On The Trigger"
* Operator - "Nothing To Lose"
* Permanent ME - "Until You Leave"
* Saosin - "Collapse"
* Seether - "Fake It"
* Senses Fail - "Calling All Cars"
* Showing Off To Thieves - "Everyone Has Their Secrets"
* Skybombers - "It Goes Off"
* Soundgarden - "Rusty Cage"
* Sugarcult - "Dead Living"
* Swervedriver - "Duel"
* The Photo Atlas - "Red Orange Yellow"
* The Pigeon Detectives - "I'm Not Sorry"
* The Styles - "Glitter Hits ( J.J . Puig Mix)"
* Twisted Sister - "I Wanna Rock"

Closing Comments:

- Please keep your system wars bullshit to yourself, boys. The game is awesome across all platforms, mkay?

- If you feel the urge to express your dislike for this game, do so in a civil tone.
Go crazy if you love the game.

That is all.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
G is for groovy.

I got prank phone called, is Mr Wall there they said.............. HUH? i said cause the phone was shitty, is Mr Wall there?................ Yeah Mr Walls here, he is holding up my roof." i said......... Oh they said.............. Is you fridge running i said, yes they said i had better go catch it hey?, fucking aye you better.

The end.

Those are some very solid scores all round.
I was expecting a bit lower after reading thru the cry baby thread a while ago.
First day and all of that.

Thanks.

There are no Eliminator events? Crashbreaker Eliminator is my favorite Burnout mode ever; it was the perfect evolution of the gameplay. :(

dkeane

Can't wait for this. I've played the demo way too much. One thing I haven't seen in the reviews I've read is what types of cars are available? Does the overall speed upgrade? Are there "trick" cars?

Anyone know if the 360 version is region free? I'm assuming we won't know till the 25th but thought I'd ask since my brother will be in New York at the time and it will save me about €20

I'm not gonna pay full price for this lack of split screen really hurts it for me.

Rowsdower

Today i will play the demo for the last time (hopefully). I want my burnout experience next week to be fresh.

Having put over 20hrs in the demo (~450 online takedowns), i regret nothing.

studio810 said:
Can't wait for this. I've played the demo way too much. One thing I haven't seen in the reviews I've read is what types of cars are available? Does the overall speed upgrade? Are there "trick" cars?

There are stunt, speed, and agression classes.

h3ro

I was kind of down after my first run through of the demo but last night I spent about an hour just driving around, taking jumps and finding new gates and trick lines and had an absolute blast... definitely going to pick this on up...

Rowsdower

For the people who are avoiding this major fuckup of a 1Up Review thread, target seems to have broken the street date for the 360 version.

I'm fucked, because my country has never heard of such a thing as "target".

Target, eh? I might take a look this weekend. Otherwise, I'll pick my 360 copy up on Tuesday.

Thanks for putting the thread together - lookin' good!

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Picking it up for PS3 day one. GT = Diseasedyak if anyone wants to add me.

btw - Rowsdower, your name and avatar is beyond awesome :lol One of my favorite MST3K episodes ever!

Tieno

On the podcast Criterion talked about which games inspired them when making Burnout, while obviously a lot of sandbox games got mentioned, they gave particular mention and emphasizes to Crackdown. For them it really validated that this was the right direction.
When I played the demo, it really made me think of Crackdown. Just because I kept going back, doing the same stunts over and over, trying to really nail it. So much fun.

Rowsdower

Tieno said:
On the podcast Criterion talked about which games inspired them when making Burnout, while obviously a lot of sandbox games got mentioned, they gave particular mention and emphasizes to Crackdown. For them it really validated that this was the right direction.
When I played the demo, it really made me think of Crackdown. Just because I kept going back, doing the same stunts over and over, trying to really nail it. So much fun.

Makes sense. I get the same "giant playground" feel in Paradise as I got from Crackdown (the demo, anyway). It's obviously not for people who want to be guided through a game.

Big Nate said:
btw - Rowsdower, your name and avatar is beyond awesome :lol One of my favorite MST3K episodes ever!

I must've seen that episode <10 times.

"Pipper: McGreggor? Troy McGreggor? … Thomas's son?
Troy: Yeah! Did you know him?
Servo [as Pipper]: Know him? He was delicious!"

:D

Burnout is great. This game may be different but people shouldn't let that (or the demo apparently) turn them away from the full game. This is the first Burnout game I'll be picking up on the first day.

Doubters, don't worry about it!!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
So who is going to buy me a PS3 so i can kick your ass online? .... anyone :(

Want this game so bad. It's going to have to wait though.

hauton

I was going to buy this whenever I scrapped together the cash for a PS3, but wtf @ no custom soundtrack...

Now that the new PS3 firmware is out, can Criterion patch that shit in?

I had a $20 coupon code to EA's online store so I dropped it on this game, plus free 1-2 day shipping I got the whole deal for $40. It comes with a code to unlock a car ("Steel Wheels"), I'll post it here when I get the code.

I am looking forward to this very much. Demo was awesome!

Tieno

hauton said:
I was going to buy this whenever I scrapped together the cash for a PS3, but wtf @ no custom soundtrack...

Now that the new PS3 firmware is out, can Criterion patch that shit in?
I think they've said that this would certainly be a possibility for future DLC. Don't know if it's guaranteed.

StrikerObi said:
I had a $20 coupon code to EA's online store so I dropped it on this game, plus free 1-2 day shipping I got the whole deal for $40. It comes with a code to unlock a car ("Steel Wheels"), I'll post it here when I get the code.

I am looking forward to this very much. Demo was awesome!
The codes are unique so this car really is limited to those who pre-order the game. Now the store-specific cars, on the other hand:

Best Buy car
--Go to under the hood and enter "BestBuy"

GameStop car
--Go to under the hood and enter "GameStop"

Wal-Mart car
--Go to under the hood and enter "WalMart"

there might be other cars as well but those are the only three I know of so far.

burgerdog

Day 1 for 360. Already got my Steel Wheels code. I can't wait for this game, it will also make the wait for DMC4 that much easier.

Nightz

bune duggy said:
The codes are unique so this car really is limited to those who pre-order the game. Now the store-specific cars, on the other hand:

Best Buy car
--Go to under the hood and enter "BestBuy"

GameStop car
--Go to under the hood and enter "GameStop"

Wal-Mart car
--Go to under the hood and enter "WalMart"

there might be other cars as well but those are the only three I know of so far.
Thanks for the codes. Had some store credit at GS so I pre-ordered my copy today. It's Friday, hanging out with the girl tomorrow, football on Sunday, Burnout on Tuesday. The next few days shall be awesome.

Except for Monday.

Rowsdower

burgerdog said:
Day 1 for 360. Already got my Steel Wheels code. I can't wait for this game, it will also make the wait for DMC4 that much easier.

Care if i throw you a friends request? I need some GAF Paradisers on my list.

GT just updated: TV Ad in HD.

Rowsdower

burgerdog said:
burgerdog99
-edit
Oh woops, I didn't read that right the first time. Sure thing - go ahead.

My brother is blocking the 360 atm, but you'll hear from me.

And to all you other Paradise Lovers with a 360, PM me your Gamertag or mention it in this thread. I'll need at least 7 other people for challenge purposes.

Top Bottom