• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

Maggot9

Banned
Remy said:
Two more things about the PS3 version that may already be known but whatever:

One, it does have in-game XMB for checking messages. Pause, go to Paradise City Online, hit triangle. (I've quit out of the game twice already trying to answer messages, so I'm glad I found this.)

Also, I heard DJ Atomica make reference to "exporting mugshots to the XMB", and sure enough, you can hit "Export" over any picture the game saves (pause, Paradise City Online, "The Lineup"), and it goes to your XMB. Then you can do whatever you want with it, like copy it over to a memory card and get it online.

takenout.jpg

Now we can all upload pictures of people's couches!

Truly, this is living.
So it keeps all the mugshots in like a temporary repository? How many does it store?

YYZ

oh shit, do some stores in Toronto already have this? I remember getting Uncharted on the Thursday or Friday before it came out. I can't go down there just to pick up the game though, oh well.

Remy

Maggot9 said:
So it keeps all the mugshots in like a temporary repository? How many does it store?

From the manual:

Only 30 photos of each type can be stored. If more are added, older ones are overwritten.

The Mugshot photos in the Lineup are stored as game data, so deleting that game data results in the Mugshot photos not appearing correctly in the Lineup. Ensure you have exported any Mugshot photos you wish to keep before deleting game data.

There are four categories (Freeburn Mugshots, Race Mugshots, Rulebreaker Smugshots, Photo Finishes), so 120 total.

You can also lock them (to avoid deletion, I'd assume).

Tiduz

Eurogaime
neojubei said:
DSC01512.jpg

Wait until I return home so I can play on my superior Dual Shock 3.:D Why does any care anyway, just buy the version you want.

I am so jealous..
Damn you PAL release dates.

PS. check your PM :p

BradVanDam said:
so whats the verdict kids?

Xbox 360 or Playstation 3.
Graphically they are identical (Shane was proven wrong), but the PS3 version is better optimized while the 360 has some (minor, but still noticeable) screen tearing and frame drops.

It should really boil down to:
1.) which controller do you prefer?
2.) do you have more friends to play this game with on PSN or XBL?

well i think PS3 has better triggers but nobody on my list plays racing games so i was hoping to make friends with people at GAF with this game.

Sykra

Ill be getting the ps3 version when they get it in the store here, this week atleast, PSN is Sykra so u can add me if u want.

Rowsdower

G Rom said:
Really amazed by this game.
I might buy it on Playstation 3.

BTW, I think it would be nice to update the OP with every codes provided by stores around the World to get "exclusive" cars in the game.
In France two big stores have their own codes :
Micromania : H211 1Z99 LZ00 00BB
Score Game : site actually down (I'll update as soon as it is up)

Good idea, i'll get right on that.
On the other hand, are the codes to unlock these cars any different on each platform? Because in yor case it's a code, in other cases you just enter "Walmart" or something.
Also, where do you type your code in? I'd appreciate if someone could clear that up.

Anyway, the codes i know of are

Best Buy car
--Enter "BestBuy"

GameStop car
--Enter "GameStop"

Wal-Mart car
--Enter "WalMart"

Micromania Car
--Enter "H211 1Z99 LZ00 00BB"

Could someone try these and confirm they're working?

C4Lukins

BradVanDam said:
so whats the verdict kids?

Xbox 360 or Playstation 3.

They sound pretty close. The 360 has some framerate issues and arguably inferior controller triggers, but the PS3 lacks the typical achievements and custom soundtrack. If you have both systems, just base it on what is more important to you.

Sykra

C4Lukins said:
They sound pretty close. The 360 has some framerate issues and arguably inferior controller triggers, but the PS3 lacks the typical achievements and custom soundtrack. If you have both systems, just base it on what is more important to you.

I thought that the ps3 version has achievements as well, i read it somewhere, was the info wrong or ?

C4Lukins

Sykra said:
I thought that the ps3 version has achievements as well, i read it somewhere, was the info wrong or ?

It could have something similar. The last two Burnout games I played had goals and medals and such. It is the integration into your gamertag that tends to make the 360 more appealing on that level, but it is such a minor factor to consider in the end. Really, it sounds like the games are close enough that choosing one is more dependent on which system you just prefer to play on.

Rowsdower

rowsdower what system are you getting it on?

360, for the simple reason of not having a ps3. But even if i had, i'd probably go with 360 because most of my friends are playing it on that platform and the custom soundtrack is kind of a big deal for me. I don't give a shit about achievements though.
It's really how Master Ninja said - go where your friends are and to to which controller you prefer.

Personally, i wouldn't mind another GAFer picking up the 360 version :D.

Sykra

C4Lukins said:
It could have something similar. The last two Burnout games I played had goals and medals and such. It is the integration into your gamertag that tends to make the 360 more appealing on that level, but it is such a minor factor to consider in the end. Really, it sounds like the games are close enough that choosing one is more dependent on which system you just prefer to play on.

http://www.criteriongames.com/burnout/paradise/press/features/achievements/
Found it on their site, good achievements on both sides.

Rowsdower

I love the fact that i would've gotten the Car in a China Shop Achievement (Get 500 Takedowns) by now if the demo was the full game.
I'm so hardcore.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Damn this game Is going to rock my world, a few weeks ago I started playing Motorstorm again to get some kind of practice for this game since the Spirit for both game is kinda of the same and I did not want to play any of the last gen ones.

kitch9

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
Graphically they are identical (Shane was proven wrong), but the PS3 version is better optimized while the 360 has some (minor, but still noticeable) screen tearing and frame drops.

It should really boil down to:
1.) which controller do you prefer?
2.) do you have more friends to play this game with on PSN or XBL?

So......Graphically they are not identical then? I'm confused....

Tieno

Can we cut the comparissions out of this thread? We already did that shit in almost every other Burnout thread no need to mess the official one up.

G Rom

Rowsdower said:
On the other hand, are the codes to unlock these cars any different on each platform? Because in yor case it's a code, in other cases you just enter "Walmart" or something.
Also, where do you type your code in? I'd appreciate if someone could clear that up.

On the picture it says (approximatively) :
"To unlock your car exclusive Micromania car :
1. On the main menu, navigate through "Under the hood" sub menu
2. Select "sponsorship product code" then enter the following code* :
H211 1Z99 LZ00 00BB
Your Micromania car is unlocked !

*Works on all Burnout Paradise, both PS3 and Xbox 360 versions. Code have to be typed with spaces. 0 are zeros and note the O letter.

NB : the Micromania car is available in all online modes. Offline, it will only be available once the according licence class is unlocked."

BTW, Rowsdower, I sent you an MP with a banner and some "remastered" assets for the OP ;)

Rowsdower said:

what do you mean, "clear that up"? it's on the first page.
bune duggy said:
The codes are unique so this car really is limited to those who pre-order the game. Now the store-specific cars, on the other hand:

Best Buy car
--Go to under the hood and enter "BestBuy"

GameStop car
--Go to under the hood and enter "GameStop"

Wal-Mart car
--Go to under the hood and enter "WalMart"

there might be other cars as well but those are the only three I know of so far.

Remy

I attempted to use all of the codes last night and none of them worked. I'm wondering if they have to flip some switch on the server first.

Xun

a Master Ninja said:
frame drops.
What are you basing this off? Since it was confirmed on the 1UP Yours podcast that the performance of the actual game was better.

Edit: Noticed you had the game, is the framerate any better than the demo?

calder

Argh, yesterday I was in Blockbuster and when I just finished renting Oblivion (to fix a fucking bug in my GOTY copy I had to rent the original, don't ask it just pisses me off) I noticed the copies of Burnout behind the counter. I assumed they were display copies or a coming soon thing but when I got to the security gate I could see they were selling copies. I would have picked one up, but the line was crazy and I didn't want to wait again.

Tuesday bitches. psn: caldermuyo

Xun

I'll probably be playing it mostly all of friday (damn EU release date!), so yeah, add me or whatever.

Gamertag: Volcanux

Agent X

So, now that a few people here apparently have the released game in their hands, can we get a definite explanation of how multiplayer race events work?

Do you have to wait for everyone to congregate at the hot spot, or did they allow the host to "teleport" the other players to the starting line?

If players are "teleported" to the starting line, then is there a loading pause?

Remy

Agent X said:
So, now that a few people here apparently have the released game in their hands, can we get a definite explanation of how multiplayer race events work?

Do you have to wait for everyone to congregate at the hot spot, or did they allow the host to "teleport" the other players to the starting line?

If players are "teleported" to the starting line, then is there a loading pause?

I haven't actually launched a race yet, but here's the way it works, seemingly:

The host hits right on the d-pad and picks "Create Race".

The first screen of options is number of rounds, car lock ("open" or "host's choice"), license class (I assume the car performance scales with the license grades?), and whether or not there's any traffic.

The second screen drops you onto the map. This is actually pretty cool - you can start the race from any intersection on the map, add up to 15 checkpoints to any other intersection on the map, and then finish at any one of the main eight endpoints on the map. Then, if you make a really good route, you can save it for later.

Alternately, there are 10 pre-defined "paradise drives" you can just load.

After you're done setting that up, a new item appears in the online menu for "Start Race", which drops everyone to a vehicle select menu and teleports them appropriately.

To be honest, the whole "no load times" thing that Criterion have been pushing is a bit of marketing spin anyhow. There's certainly a load time when you start any event in the game - there's a 5-10 second intro, and while the game is still showing your car rolling, you know it's loading. When you come out of Showtime mode, it takes longer than you will probably want to get you back to driving.

It's a very *seamless* experience - the only time you get a screen that says "Loading" is when you boot - but there are certainly clever animations where the game can sneak in some load times.

(Also, Paradise City by GNR plays every time you boot the game, for that one load sequence. From the beginning. Every time. I never want to hear the song again, and I've only booted the game 5 times.)

Rowsdower

bune duggy said:
what do you mean, "clear that up"? it's on the first page.

Yeah i thought going "under the hood" was some fancy expression for something you have to do in the game (like a sub-menu in the garage).

And @ the people who already have the game, thanks for your impressions. Makes the wait until thursday a little less unbearable.

ghostmind

So Remy, you know of any other Resistance clanners that are picking this up on PS3? If there are at least a few, then I'll get this on PS3...

Remy

ghostmind said:
So Remy, you know of any other Resistance clanners that are picking this up on PS3? If there are at least a few, then I'll get this on PS3...

I haven't run into anyone I know from GAF yet playing, but hopefully that'll change once the game officially hits shelves.

Beamber sent a jealous PM, and Therealbookey has an excited comment about it, so I'd imagine they'll both be in.

I'm most likely getting this for 360, unless I decide to rebel and only play Burnout Revenge until I get a sequel to that. :(

Either way, FreakmanJ is my gamertag and PSN ID.

Rowsdower

burgerdog said:
Why are you getting it thursday, Rowsdower?

stinky yurop.

To the people who are getting it on 360, you'll hear from someone called "mahelar" soon.
Seems like we got a little Paradise Clan going after all.

Rowsdower said:
stinky yurop.

To the people who are getting it on 360, you'll hear from someone called "mahelar" soon.
Seems like we got a little Paradise Clan going after all.

Yeah, I got that. I might not get it on day one, but it should be within the next few days.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
PS3--RedWingLion

I'll have this on Tuesday.

Top Bottom