• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Burnout Paradise Thread. Restarting Events Patch!

I'm still on the fence with this game. I'm happy enough with the gameplay but, not to beat a dead horse, the lack of a retry option really bugs me. Since the street date has been broken in some areas I hope I can get some impressions from some other people who have the same concerns as I do soon.

spwolf

when is euro release date anyone? this will be pure fun. I am sure many euro members will get it for PS3...

th.a303d56bc6.jpg

Ready for sale

th.4b316e2b2c.jpg

Removal from shelf

Damn you Target!

They're on the shelf, but you refuse to sell them until the 22nd, GGGRRRRRRRRR!!!

jet1911

spwolf said:
when is euro release date anyone? this will be pure fun. I am sure many euro members will get it for PS3...

Burnout Paradise (PlayStation 3)

EA Games

Release date: 25/01/2008

ch0mp

Really keen to get this game seeing as i loved revenge. Dissapointed showtime has replaced crash mode though, it looks quite silly to me.

Agent X

Here's the problem. No one has really pinned down what makes this game "fun". I'm reminded of Test Drive Unlimited, a game that people were raving about for about 2-3 weeks after it came out. Then, it suddenly flatlined when people realized that an "open world" game with no sense of direction or motivation...well, just isn't fun.

The demo of this game got stale quick. I've said much in other threads about the single-player game and the numerous flaws, most of which stem from two problems: no "retry event" option and no selectable restart points from the map.

So, let's talk about multiplayer. I know people were raving about how much better the game was online, but I couldn't quite grasp it. Rambling down the road and trying to ram each other was great fun for about three or four minutes, but the thrill quickly wore off. The ugly side of the multiplayer aspect reared its head when we tried the challenges. Some of these were very lengthy and even downright tedious at times. Here's an example that I originally posted in this post, when a friend and I tried it:

The challenge where each player had to hit 6 billboards took us about a half hour to complete. He actually had an early lead on me, getting 2 before I could get even 1, then he got a third. After that, I nailed 5 more in succession, and thought because I "won" it would have ended there, but we had to wait for him to get 3 more. Since we had no idea where the remaining unbroken billboards were, we had to scour the city, and if I found one before he did I would drive near it (so he could locate me on the map), and then wait for him to smash it. It was very frustrating for my friend, especially since there wasn't much payoff at the end, apart from a message saying that we accomplished it. Our effort could've at least unlocked another car, or another paint job, or something.

It would've been much better if it were truly competitive, and one skilled player could actually "win" the event. As it is now, the only reward is "you did it", and there's no real incentive to go back and try it again.

Seeing how this challenge flowed so inelegantly led me to consider another potential problem, which neither IGN nor 1UP addressed in their respective reviews: how multiplayer race events are handled.

If you're in an online game with 7 other people, and you decide it would be great to set up a race, do you have to wait for all 7 of your opponents to meet you at the starting point? After all, that's how single-player handles it...no retry, no selecting already played events from a map...you're required to drive to the starting point. Is it safe to assume multiplayer is handled the same way?

Let's suppose that it is handled that way. This means that if one player gets lost in the big city trying to find where the hot spot is supposed to be, then everyone else is forced to wait for him. If he just wants to go wander off sightseeing, then everyone else is forced to wait. How are players expected to manage situations like these? Did the developers even consider that? Did the reviewers?

On the other hand, let's suppose that it isn't handled that way. This would mean that the host can hit "start" on his controller and the other 7 guys are all conveniently whisked to the starting line in an instant. That's fabulous...then why the hell can't we have selectable start points in single-player mode?

I'm concerned that all this "big open city" hoopla with "no loading times" might make a nifty tech demo, but unfortunately doesn't necessarily make a good game. Sadly, the reviews from IGN and 1UP (the only ones I could find on the Web) focus much more on the technical aspects of the presentation, rather than evoking any notion of enjoyment. I fear that once the technical novelty of the "big open city" wears off, the game's going to be relegated to the closet because it just isn't fun to play.

Sectus

Agent X said:
Here's an example that I originally posted in this post, when a friend and I tried it:
None of the challenges are competitive? I assumed most of them were... I didn't play the demo much, but when I saw challenges like crashing into # amount of billboards and boosting # amount of time in oncoming I assumed they were competitive challenges which ended when one player got the target score and he got a point for that. I can agree that being stupid if they're actually cooperative.

Agent X said:
Seeing how this challenge flowed so inelegantly led me to consider another potential problem, which neither IGN nor 1UP addressed in their respective reviews: how multiplayer race events are handled.

If you're in an online game with 7 other people, and you decide it would be great to set up a race, do you have to wait for all 7 of your opponents to meet you at the starting point? After all, that's how single-player handles it...no retry, no selecting already played events from a map...you're required to drive to the starting point. Is it safe to assume multiplayer is handled the same way?
If I remember correctly, Criterion mentioned in a podcast that the other players will warp to the location of the race when the online race starts. And yeah, it's pretty damn good question why they aren't letting that be possible in singleplayer.

It just seems to be Criterion's style unfortunately, they really hate letting the player decide how to play. The recent podcast talked a bit about lack of replay and lack of options and their answers were a bit pathetic. A few players complained about how low the camera is, and they answered that you can fix this by holding the right analog stick up (now then, I'd like to see a player who's able to hold down A and the right analog stick at the same time). And how they're not willing to let players choose different control schemes because buttons are already placed where they wanted them to be (despite the fact previous Burnout games had an opposite control scheme many players got used to, and despite the fact it's a very common feature for racing games to allow for different control schemes).

welll the holy shit moments make it fun like where you going at top speed burnout and then you all over a sudden do a airbrake reverse , get 3 miss head on collisions and all for that to crash and take out all of Traffic.

However what this game lacks is structure is what i came to burnout for previously a strucuture racing game experience.

This lacks strucuture at all .

So with a reset button and not knowing what the single player game includes like are all the cars unlocked, do i get medals , do i have differnet challenges or is this straight up a multiplayer racing game the IGN review really didnt tell me either way.

So right now if i dont find out those answers i wont be buying.

K0NY

I put in about 3.5 hours so far. I can't get enough of this game. I don't miss the "retry" option at all because, no matter when you give up on a race, there's alway half a dozen other things to do within a half block of where you stop.

The sense of speed and intensity is right on the money. The graphics are jaw-droppingly awesome. The music isn't annoying, for the first time in Burnout memory. Exploring, racing, Road Rage, Marked Man and Stunt Runs have been great fun. I especially like that the challenge seems to be ramping up steadily, regardless of what order you do the events in.

I haven't even touched online yet and already I'm in love with this game. The devs really did a fantastic job. If anything, I miss Crash Mode, but I haven't tried the street challenges called "showtime" yet, which may contain something similar.

My initial impression is that it was well worth the $60. I picked up the PS3 version, btw.

A friend of mine picked this up for PS3 from a local import store. Like a lot of the folks have said previously, I miss the structure of the previous games. I dislike the open world and really dislike that you have to drive back to the start point to do the same race again. I also agree that the camera is way too low and I have a hard time telling which lane traffic is in until it is too late. Lastly, showtime is not a suitable replacement for crash mode. My buddy has mostly the same gripes and he is unsure if he will keep it or not.

I did not come in here to shit up this thread I only hope Criterion is reading this and now knows that they lost a sale due to their open world game.

One of the things which pissed me off with previous Burnout games was the constant loading especially in Crash mode.
I'm glad they've taken this no loading approach, and the sacrifices made seem to be well worth it.
I would like to thank Criterion from the bottom of my heart.

Rowsdower

K0NY said:
I put in about 3.5 hours so far. I can't get enough of this game. I don't miss the "retry" option at all because, no matter when you give up on a race, there's alway half a dozen other things to do within a half block of where you stop.

The sense of speed and intensity is right on the money. The graphics are jaw-droppingly awesome. The music isn't annoying, for the first time in Burnout memory. Exploring, racing, Road Rage, Marked Man and Stunt Runs have been great fun. I especially like that the challenge seems to be ramping up steadily, regardless of what order you do the events in.

I haven't even touched online yet and already I'm in love with this game. The devs really did a fantastic job. If anything, I miss Crash Mode, but I haven't tried the street challenges called "showtime" yet, which may contain something similar.

My initial impression is that it was well worth the $60. I picked up the PS3 version, btw.

Thanks for the impressions. Please let me know what you think about the Showtime mode, most of my doubts circle around this thing.

And holy crap, my little brother just beat my demo Stunt Run highscore of 1.4 million.
He did 3.8 million, he's hardcore.

Agent X

Sectus said:
None of the challenges are competitive? I assumed most of them were... I didn't play the demo much, but when I saw challenges like crashing into # amount of billboards and boosting # amount of time in oncoming I assumed they were competitive challenges which ended when one player got the target score and he got a point for that. I can agree that being stupid if they're actually cooperative.

I don't think so. There were three in the demo that I saw, but I believe they were all cooperative...which I have no problem with, except none of these events really need a cooperative multiplayer setting. For instance, one challenge was to have one player line up inside a gap between two ramps, while the other player jumps over him. It was cute, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't need online multiplayer--after the first player got situated, he would simply remain there waiting for the second player to perform the stunt.

The structure of the previous games would've lent themselves to some awesome multiplayer modes, if they had only bothered to make some gentle tweaks to the existing formula instead of radical departures. You want to talk cooperative? Could you imagine a cooperative Road Rage game, where you and a friend team up to take down a group of computer-controlled racers? That would surely be excellent! Instead, this game has no multiplayer Road Rage at all (as stated in the 1UP review). Nice going, guys.

Sectus said:
If I remember correctly, Criterion mentioned in a podcast that the other players will warp to the location of the race when the online race starts. And yeah, it's pretty damn good question why they aren't letting that be possible in singleplayer.

Hmm...I haven't heard the podcast, but after witnessing some of the other inconsistent design decisions so far, I believe it.

The follow-up is that Criterion claimed selectable start points would have caused last-gen-style loading pauses because of the way the city data is streamed. If multiplayer in fact allows this, then wouldn't this mean other players have to endure (gasp) loading pauses while teleporting to the hot spot?

I don't mind loading pauses, as long as they're relatively quick. But why do they make this concession for multiplayer, yet for single-player they hold firm on their decision to not have selectable start points? It boggles the mind.

Sectus said:
It just seems to be Criterion's style unfortunately, they really hate letting the player decide how to play. The recent podcast talked a bit about lack of replay and lack of options and their answers were a bit pathetic. A few players complained about how low the camera is, and they answered that you can fix this by holding the right analog stick up (now then, I'd like to see a player who's able to hold down A and the right analog stick at the same time). And how they're not willing to let players choose different control schemes because buttons are already placed where they wanted them to be (despite the fact previous Burnout games had an opposite control scheme many players got used to, and despite the fact it's a very common feature for racing games to allow for different control schemes).

I might have to check out this podcast, if I have some time. There's something to be said for being resolute in your decisions, but on the other hand it's not good to be so stubborn that you completely disregard and blow off feedback from customers who purchased your previous games and would like to continue purchasing your future games.

Remy

I'm down day one on the PS3.

Anyone in the NYC area know if our usual favorite shop got this in early?

steve

Banned
This is a day 1 buy for me on PS3, I'm hoping a lot of my friends from my site pick it up so we can all play together, if that doesn't happen, would love to play with you guys too. PSN is Asshandler.

8bxv3ti.jpg

I found the game early, but my Sixaxis is not happy about it. Things have been tense ever since I told him I prefer the 360 controller for racers.

G Rom

Really amazed by this game.
I might buy it on Playstation 3.

BTW, I think it would be nice to update the OP with every codes provided by stores around the World to get "exclusive" cars in the game.
In France two big stores have their own codes :
Micromania : H211 1Z99 LZ00 00BB
Score Game : site actually down (I'll update as soon as it is up)

Others EU and US stores might offer this...
Any guesses ?

RBH

a Master Ninja said:
8bxv3ti.jpg

I found the game early, but my Sixaxis is not happy about it. Things have been tense ever since I told him I prefer the 360 controller for racers.
:lol :lol

I've had such a hard time with this decision, but I'm pretty sure I'm going with the PS3 version. I can't believe how much peer-pressure Xbox LIVE creates in these situations.

Viddie

I'm doing the review and have basically played through the gane, the reason people aren't writing about onilne is because the PS3 servers aren't online yet, i'm of course waiting for them to be online before posting the review..

Remy

Viddie said:
I'm doing the review and have basically played through the gane, the reason people aren't writing about onilne is because the PS3 servers aren't online yet, i'm of course waiting for them to be online before posting the review..

There's about three or four Freeburn online servers going right now?

I'm hosting one, if any GAFfers want to join - RemyVJA.

EDIT: Or rather, I was. We're going to need to plan GAF nights to get people who actually want to complete the challenges. I did the "Use boost" challenge and one guy literally took 3 minutes to do it. Sigh.

Viddie said:
wha...? So the servers for the demo are different than the final game? I guess that makes sense in a way.

Agent X

Viddie said:

That's ridiculous. How the hell can IGN, 1UP, GameSpy, and GamePro possibly review the multiplayer component of the game without actually playing it?

It seemed awfully fishy when all of their multiplayer reviews focused mostly on aspects like "YOU TAP RIGHT TWICE ON THE JOYPAD TO JUMP ONLINE! YOU PUT YOUR FACE ON THE SCREEN WITH A USB CAMERA! AWSUMZ!" rather than playing the game online. Those are things that anyone could've gathered from merely playing the demo. Nothing they said in those reviews went outside of the demo restrictions.

It's an utter shame that the people writing those reviews decided to "cash it in" without a proper review of multiplayer. I would have preferred they waited a few days to run it through its paces, rather than jump the gun just to have the review up before the game is released.

Xun

Agent X said:
That's ridiculous. How the hell can IGN, 1UP, GameSpy, and GamePro possibly review the multiplayer component of the game without actually playing it?

It seemed awfully fishy when all of their multiplayer reviews focused mostly on aspects like "YOU TAP RIGHT TWICE ON THE JOYPAD TO JUMP ONLINE! YOU PUT YOUR FACE ON THE SCREEN WITH A USB CAMERA! AWSUMZ!" rather than playing the game online. Those are things that anyone could've gathered from merely playing the demo. Nothing they said in those reviews went outside of the demo restrictions.

It's an utter shame that the people writing those reviews decided to "cash it in" without a proper review of multiplayer. I would have preferred they waited a few days to run it through its paces, rather than jump the gun just to have the review up before the game is released.
Exactly, especially since the online part of the game is probably the most fleshed out bit of the whole game.

Ah well.

Viddie

I can't get online for ps3, still no servers, could be because it's PAL though so maybe the servers are different?

I dunno how these guys got online, i can select freeburn but no servers yet.

Remy

Viddie said:
I can't get online for ps3, still no servers, could be because it's PAL though so maybe the servers are different?

I dunno how these guys got online, i can select freeburn but no servers yet.

I'm guessing it's region-limited P2P servers. I'm showing two servers up right now, from the US.

Remy

Two more things about the PS3 version that may already be known but whatever:

One, it does have in-game XMB for checking messages. Pause, go to Paradise City Online, hit triangle. (I've quit out of the game twice already trying to answer messages, so I'm glad I found this.)

Also, I heard DJ Atomica make reference to "exporting mugshots to the XMB", and sure enough, you can hit "Export" over any picture the game saves (pause, Paradise City Online, "The Lineup"), and it goes to your XMB. Then you can do whatever you want with it, like copy it over to a memory card and get it online.

takenout.jpg

Now we can all upload pictures of people's couches!

Truly, this is living.

Pimpbaa

From 1up's review

"Xbox 360's ability to rescue you from a cavalcade of crappy Burnout 2 track remixes"

WTF?! The music in the demo was awesome, burnout 2's music was the best in the series.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
DSC01512.jpg

Wait until I return home so I can play on my superior Dual Shock 3.:D Why does any care anyway, just buy the version you want.

Top Bottom