• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

Grecco

Someone has to explain
why the whole Kill Dwane or Playboy X thing is such a big deal? Reading Patricks blog i thought it was this impactfull decicion. I hated X since i met the guy and couldnt wait to off him

MonkeyLicker

Art does not make 60FPS @ 1080i with real world physics on the PSf*ckin2.
Finished the game last night but I'm a little freaked out by
Kate calling me for a date after I've finished the game. I've never had a dead person call me and ask me out. I wanted to call her back and say " Um, your dead!".
Other than that I haven't seen many other bugs.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah I just got the ending
and now Roman is dead and Kate doesn't want to be with Niko because he went for the cash. Even if I get the other ending I feel it is a major sucking ending, but I'm not surprised. I don't think they put enough emphasis on how Niko feels about losing Roman, it is sort of his fault too. The other endings is stupid, I don't even care about it really, won't even try to see it.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Finally getting into some fun shit with Playboy X. His missions are bit more intense than "Manny, chase the fuckting train like an idiot WITHOUT A MAP OF THE CITY" type bull shit.

3 weeks in and it seems like nobody plays on line anymore. So much for that revolution...

SpeedingUptoStop

Brianemone said:
Taken off my tv with a digicam

Willie Nelson as a paranoid guy on the street
side1.jpg
Yea, I fuckin shot this asshole (or some black preacher dude, I dunno). I don't need to walk out of Roman's girlfriend's shithole every morning listening to some psycho babble on and on.

SpeedingUptoStop

Anybody else's top motivation for finishing a mission is to just not do it all over again? After running through that building in the first mission with Playboy X, killing all those cops, all I could think of is "Shit, I better not fucking die here".

Struct09 said:
Kill a Rockstar employee in a ranked match. I haven't heard of anyone who's gotten it yet.

I guess I should have phrased that question better. I know you have to kill a dev in a match but do we know of any plans on how they are going to handle this? I think it would be pretty hard to run into one of them online in the first place. Maybe it will be viral like GH3?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I BEAT THE GAME!!!!!!!

The problem I had with chasing Dimitri in the boat was, after he kills Pegarino and runs off, I fought the baddies on the roof and killed them, so no problem there. But where I fucked up was, I would run to the edge of the roof where the ladder is, and climb down instead of going to my right and over the adjacent roof to trigger the Chopper cut scene with Niko hanging on to it. So in other words I was going the long way, and running on foot to the speed boat instead of getting dropped right by it via the cut scene. Once I figured that part out, I was able to stay much closer to him in the boat, and thus had no problem getting underneath Jacob's chopper.

The BIG pain the ass however, was chasing Dimitri *in* the chopper! Holy shit I must've fucked up at AT LEAST 20 times on that part and he would constantly get away from me. Jesus, they really are unforgiving as far as the distance between you and Dimitri go. You basically gotta stay like a couple dozen yards behind him. It's crazy.

Anyway once I landed I wasn't expected yet another wave of baddies to come at me. Jesus. Nearly died until I found a soda machine inside the building.

God am I soooo glad this is over with!!!!! I don't think I've been relieved this much after beating a game since I completed the Opus races in Ridge Racer PSP.

Ending sucked BTW.

The game is so much better when you stop driving from place to place and start taking cabs everywhere. SO MUCH BETTER.

So now I just finished
the first mission for Pegorino at that factory with the sniping and car chase
. How far along am I now? More than 75% done?

I sound like a broken record asking that over and over again but it's because I'm not going to have much time to play this week and I was hoping to finish.

voltron

Eriatarka said:
What's a ZiT? Besides it being the phone company in the game.

Its a number you call in game on your cell phone... when you hear a song you like you call the zit number (cant remember the full number) and Lazlow will msg back with the name of the song.

Also any songs you zit are sent to your socialclub.com page.

Loudninja

voltron said:
Its a number you call in game on your cell phone... when you hear a song you like you call the zit number (cant remember the full number) and Lazlow will msg back with the name of the song.

Also any songs you zit are sent to your socialclub.com page.

The number is in the manual :)

voltron

Loudninja said:
The umber is in the manual :)

yeah - I actually have 6 shown up on my socialclub page now. They seem to be updating every couple hours as I have received an email every couple hours today saying that a new zit has been sent.

hopefully they sort the rest of the stuff out too... I wanna see whats in that story complete section.

Chris R

Spoiler after reaching the 3rd island

So I get a message on my cell saying meet me in the south of the middle island. I get there and some cop is there. Apparently I know him by name, but don't remember if I saw him before in any missions... I haven't done a single Playboy X mission so if I meet him there, it will be kinda stupid because the mission was available too early. Where else might I have met the cop before?

What the hell? I didn't know that you can save an Annihilator in your parking spots. Thats not even the amazing part. I blew this Annihilator up with a rocket, it fell onto the parking spot, and it was restored when I loaded up my game.

rhfb said:
Spoiler after reaching the 3rd island

So I get a message on my cell saying meet me in the south of the middle island. I get there and some cop is there. Apparently I know him by name, but don't remember if I saw him before in any missions... I haven't done a single Playboy X mission so if I meet him there, it will be kinda stupid because the mission was available too early. Where else might I have met the cop before?

He was with
Manny

TTG

whatdidyousay said:
The game is so much better when you stop driving from place to place and start taking cabs everywhere. SO MUCH BETTER.

So now I just finished
the first mission for Pegorino at that factory with the sniping and car chase
. How far along am I now? More than 75% done?

I sound like a broken record asking that over and over again but it's because I'm not going to have much time to play this week and I was hoping to finish.

5-10 hours? You're over 70% done but I don't remember how many missions you have to go exactly.

G-Bus

Banned
So I'm playing some TDM and I click in the right analog stick.... holy shit it zooms!!! I couldn't for the life of me figure out how I get gunned down by someone using a pistol from half a block away while I unload 2 clips of machine gun fire on his ass.

raYne

G-Bus said:
So I'm playing some TDM and I click in the right analog stick.... holy shit it zooms!!! I couldn't for the life of me figure out how I get gunned down by someone using a pistol from half a block away while I unload 2 clips of machine gun fire on his ass.
Er.. yeah, it does that with almost everything in SP as well. No clue how you missed that. :lol

Lobster

Banned
Love this game :lol

Went on a date with
Michelle

and rang her up again 2 minutes after the date to see if I could exploit the system.

She replied- "no, we just went out a few moments ago. I'm not that sad. Maybe next time."

Cracked up so much.

BeeDog

When is Dwayne supposed to start calling about friends activities? I finished those missions a loooong time ago, but I still haven't gotten his friend call.

Mr Epic

Banned
I'm finishing up with the Ray Boccino strand of missions and have already finished with Packie and his brothers. Can you guys give me an idea of how much gameplay is left?

sennin

BeeDog said:
When is Dwayne supposed to start calling about friends activities? I finished those missions a loooong time ago, but I still haven't gotten his friend call.

You need to reply to his email at any internet cafe first before he will go out with you.

Dave1988

BeeDog said:

Check your e-mail. He'll e-mail you first.

acm2000

BeeDog said:
He hasn't sent any e-mail. :(

make sure he likes you more than 70% too

i was disapppointed how easy this game was, all the story missions were easy, even the end one, which was only made frustrating due to
the shitty helicopter controls when you need to try aim at the same time

even the side missions are really easy, and money is virtually useless again as usual

however, the story was fantastic, and the moral decisions were a great addition

Grecco said:
Someone has to explain
why the whole Kill Dwane or Playboy X thing is such a big deal? Reading Patricks blog i thought it was this impactfull decicion. I hated X since i met the guy and couldnt wait to off him
me too

Knox

I finished the game tonight here are my thoughts.

- I cared less and less about the story/characters as the game went on. There's way too much filler. I was pretty much forcing myself to get to the last few missions where the story picks up again.
And I feel robbed by the alternate ending. I took revenge on Dimitri so Pegarino was the final guy, which is anti-climatic as hell. Plus some chick I dated a couple times and didn't really like dies instead of Roman.
I thought all the characters you meet after about the half way point were boring, aside from
Bernie
, I guess.

- I liked the driving. Fuck the haters.

- IT'S LIKE A LIVING BREATHING WORLD. Not really, but close enough I guess. More details than I'll ever see.

- Tons of money that I have nothing to do with. It wouldn't be so bad if
Niko and Roman wouldn't bitch about needing money all the time

voltron

Does anyone know if its possible to get Niko onto one of the Jumbo Jets taking off at the airport? I know you cant fly them but to get on one as it takes off and flys would be awesome.

Raiden

Banned
voltron said:
Does anyone know if its possible to get Niko onto one of the Jumbo Jets taking off at the airport? I know you cant fly them but to get on one as it takes off and flys would be awesome.
Yeah, dont bother though. I got on one when i was chased by the cops. i climded on one that was standing still. and another one was just taking off, i jumped on the wing of the moving one but slided off ..... just like when you stand on trains or cars. Too bad though. i remember doing stuff like that in San Andreas.

Roxas

Has anyone else seen the Osama bin Laden-like character roaming around the Statue of Hapiness? I caight him looking through the binocular things sometime early in the morning. He's wearing a camoulflage shirt, has a long beard...of course, it might not be him but it sure looked like him.

I'm looking for bikes. Now I've read somewhere, could be here, could be somewhere else, that there is a bikeshop in LC, anyone knows where to find it. I need a bike for some of those stuntjumps, but when you want something in LC you'll never find it and when you don't need it, you'll always see them.

Too bad you can't listen to music on your phone, I see alot of people in LC listening to music on their phone, and then they just throw it away, lol.

voltron

StickyFingers said:
I'm looking for bikes. Now I've read somewhere, could be here, could be somewhere else, that there is a bikeshop in LC, anyone knows where to find it. I need a bike for some of those stuntjumps, but when you want something in LC you'll never find it and when you don't need it, you'll always see them.

Too bad you can't listen to music on your phone, I see alot of people in LC listening to music on their phone, and then they just throw it away, lol.

Theres a bike shop in Alderney. Kind of up near the north part of the West island.

lionelhutz

Iamthegamer said:
Finally getting into some fun shit with Playboy X. His missions are bit more intense than "Manny, chase the fuckting train like an idiot WITHOUT A MAP OF THE CITY" type bull shit.

3 weeks in and it seems like nobody plays on line anymore. So much for that revolution...

They give you a map with the game. There is also a map in the lower left corner of the screen.

StickyFingers said:

WestDyke Autos

It's just south of the Northern most Burger Shot on Alderney. If the doors are locked , just shoot the windows out ;)

edit:to slow

Before I even think about getting into this thread, are spoilers still outlawed? I'm not very far into the story (I don't think) and have been on spoiler lockdown while my roommate completes the game, since the main draw for me is the narrative, not the random violence.

voltron

BrodiemanTTR said:
Before I even think about getting into this thread, are spoilers still outlawed? I'm not very far into the story (I don't think) and have been on spoiler lockdown while my roommate completes the game, since the main draw for me is the narrative, not the random violence.

Why even get into the thread? If all you care about is story then this thread would not serve any purpose for you ;)

But yeah they are outlawed, of course. And not being into random violence is the norm around here AFAIK.

BrodiemanTTR said:
they should be , but every once and a while people forget to spoiler tag stuff :(

edit: crap to slow again :(

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I BEAT THE GAME!!!!!!!

The problem I had with chasing Dimitri in the boat was, after he kills Pegarino and runs off, I fought the baddies on the roof and killed them, so no problem there. But where I fucked up was, I would run to the edge of the roof where the ladder is, and climb down instead of going to my right and over the adjacent roof to trigger the Chopper cut scene with Niko hanging on to it. So in other words I was going the long way, and running on foot to the speed boat instead of getting dropped right by it via the cut scene. Once I figured that part out, I was able to stay much closer to him in the boat, and thus had no problem getting underneath Jacob's chopper.

The BIG pain the ass however, was chasing Dimitri *in* the chopper! Holy shit I must've fucked up at AT LEAST 20 times on that part and he would constantly get away from me. Jesus, they really are unforgiving as far as the distance between you and Dimitri go. You basically gotta stay like a couple dozen yards behind him. It's crazy.

Anyway once I landed I wasn't expected yet another wave of baddies to come at me. Jesus. Nearly died until I found a soda machine inside the building.

God am I soooo glad this is over with!!!!! I don't think I've been relieved this much after beating a game since I completed the Opus races in Ridge Racer PSP.

Ending sucked BTW.

acm2000 said:
i was disapppointed how easy this game was, all the story missions were easy, even the end one,

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Joke post of the CENTURY! :lol

You ARE joking, right? This was one of the most ridiculously hard/tedious/frustrating games I've ever played. Even harder than Uncharted on Crushing or Gears on Insane.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
BrodiemanTTR said:

There haven't been many people unable to use spoiler tags lately, so I guess you could start posting impressions or start reading.

Also, most of the people posting in this thread frequently have already beaten the game or are close, so it's not a mine field like it was a couple of days after the game's release

isamu said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Joke post of the CENTURY! :lol

You ARE joking, right? This was one of the most ridiculously hard/tedious/frustrating games I've ever played. Even harder than Uncharted on Crushing or Gears on Insane.

Harder than Gears on Insane? Really? I also found GTA 4 to be very easy...not to say I didnt enjoy it tremendously but a very easy game.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
isamu said:

eh what? it has to be you who is posting the jokes. Only a handful of IV missions required a couple of retries for me (boots, clothes & motorcycle, pegerino's pride and the final mission were the hardest)

womfalcs3

Banned
GTA IV hasn't been hard at all. There has only been one mission so far where I've had to do it more than once (I'm currently 71 missions in). There were missions in previous installments that literally took me hours to pass. Maybe it's easier because of the improved shooting and new cop evasion system.

The missions have been really fun though... even the chase scenes. I loved the chases. Weaving in and out of traffic and averting obstacles.

Top Bottom