• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Grand Theft Auto IV thread: The World Is Yours

urk said:
If you're talking about LCD Soundsystem, it's Vladivostok.

I kinda bump around looking for talk radio segments or advertisements to be honest. They make me chuckle.
Isn't LCD Soundsystem on Radio Broker? Anyway, I mostly listen to LRR, IF99, Radio Broker and The Journey. Occasionally I'll switch to Vladivostok for Schweine and San Juan for Atrevete-te-te, but won't really listen to anything other on those stations. Most of the stations have only 1-2 songs I like, if even that.

MMaRsu

Yeah I think Radio Broker & Electro Choc are the best stations :). It's a shame that Lazlow's station isn't as good this time, I really enjoy listening to his podcasts & old ingame radiostations :)

neoism

Won said:
I think some time has to pass. And various random characters only appear to specific times.

Oh and my Social Club account made an 1% progress in the last three days. Somehow I don't think it will reach 100 by tomorrow.

WTF how much time this fucking game better not have glitched on me. I saved like 10 times over 5 or 6 days in game have past. WTF Rockstar

Struct09

My Social Club is at 60% now, better than the 43% it was at yesterday. If the site is still problematic tomorrow, they better have a good plan for handling people that got 100% in time :p

calder

I find the radio pretty disappointing overall. As other people have said, the selection is good and the quality of tracks is probably very good overall, but bottom line there is not one single station that plays more than one song I personally like and half the stations have absolutely nothing for me. You'd think with all tracks they have and effort they put into it there'd be one station that was pure win for someone like me who has fairly average taste in modern music. And the satire is way overdone on the commercials and the talk stations, wish they'd dialed that down a bit.

Oh yeah, how do you hail a cab anyway? I've taken hundreds of taxi trips, and use them constantly, but I've never "hailed" one according to the stats. Obviously just walking up to one and using it doesn't seem to count, and neither do the free trips from Roman. Is there a number I can call to get a cab that I've never seen? That would be awesome, but I looked on the cabs themselves and online (in game) near the beginning of the game but never saw anything.

calder said:
Oh yeah, how do you hail a cab anyway? I've taken hundreds of taxi trips, and use them constantly, but I've never "hailed" one according to the stats. Obviously just walking up to one and using it doesn't seem to count, and neither do the free trips from Roman. Is there a number I can call to get a cab that I've never seen? That would be awesome, but I looked on the cabs themselves and online (in game) near the beginning of the game but never saw anything.
On the 360 it's LB

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
LukeSmith said:
Listening-Age questions:

What Radio Stations are you guys enjoying the most? This is the first game in the GTA 3D series that I've had a really hard time finding a station that I liked.

Also, I heard the music from one of the trailers in-game earlier this a.m. (I think), the techno-y song, which Radio Station was that on.

The Boggs song can be heard on Radio Broker. Stations I enjoy with fav songs

- Liberty Rock: Evil Woman, Her Strut, I Wanna Be Your Dog, Fascination, NY Groove, Straight On
- Everything on Fusion Jazz. Probably my favorite station in the game, give this one a try
- Vladivostok: Wild Dances, the Schweine song, King Ring (also a kickass song from the trailers)
- Broker: this one has great bands represented like Savy Fav, LCD Soundsystem and !!!
- The Journey: JM Jarre, Philip Glass, Aphex Twin
- Funk Channel: Fela Kuti's Zombie is awesome

guilty favorite is San Juan sounds

I love the soundtrack, never feel the urge to go custom. So much variation, I never get tired of it. Some channels take a bit of getting used to, but after a while I appreciate them all except the Dancehall and HC Punk station

Wizpig

I have to admit, when i was nearing the final missions my general way to go was:

- Hail cab
- Press A
- Press A to skip
- Start mission
- Repeat

Wizpig

chubigans said:
Best station ever in a GTA game. Well, the opera one in GTA III is first, and this second. :D
Unfortunately it has like... 10 tracks?
Less? :(

But anyway, one of the reasons i like Phil Bell as a character is that when you do a mission with him, if you put JNR, he loves it!
He says something like "If i had to listen to one song only, it'd be this one!"

Fuck yeah Jazz :D

The Classic Rock Radio is awesome too, obviously, but all the other stations... not so much.
At least one of the stations got that AWESOME music from the first GTA trailer, so effin epic.

Dazzyman

Just finished my second cunning stunts video on second island
http://www.vimeo.com/1031118

Shows how much I enjoy this. Went on tonight but nobody was about so decided to do my own scenic video driving and flying about (adding that tonight), just adore this game way tooooooooo much

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Wizpig said:
I have to admit, when i was nearing the final missions my general way to go was:

- Hail cab
- Press A
- Press A to skip
- Start mission
- Repeat
Shi,t i've been doing that for a while and I'm about halfway (hopefully). I'll walk around waiting for a cab to spawn now before I'll steal a car, risking some beat cop spotting me when I can't see him and wasting time trying to lose the star.

I love the introduction to Alderney, btw. It's a lot diferent than Little Jacob/Faustin's intro to Bohan, which was jsut crossing a bridge unassumingly. Listening to PBX talk about hitting it big time as I crossed the bridge at night look at the skycrapers was great. Having me drive through tar Junction to do "Deconstruction for beginners" was excellent. It's much more interesting when somebody tags along.

Hootie

I hate to admit it but I do find myself listening to Radio Broker and ElectroChoc more than any other stations. JNR is also great, and Beat 102.7 has 2-3 good songs.

guise

platypotamus said:
"We're being invaded!"

Im always hearing "more drama for your momma"

I've started listening to radio broker a lot recently, its pretty freakin badass.

Motorcycle missions can kiss my ass, theyre not fun at all

Calcaneus

I'm pretty early on, in the Playboy X missions and I'm enjoying it. There's one problem though, I just can't shake the desire to just fuck around for an hour after a mission. I guess this is less of a problem if you have been following all of the GTA games, but I've only briefly played III and VC.

I may never get to the end of this game.

Wizpig

Calcaneus said:
I'm pretty early on, in the Playboy X missions and I'm enjoying it. There's one problem though, I just can't shake the desire to just fuck around for an hour after a mission. I guess this is less of a problem if you have been following all of the GTA games, but I've only briefly played III and VC.

I may never get to the end of this game.
I did that with San Andreas.
Fucking around after a mission, i mean.
The result? I dropped the game because it bored me, and never finished it.

So my new way of playing GTA is to finish the game as fast as i can - but not forcing myself to do it - and then fuck around.
Obviously when i got the game day-one i fucked around 99% of the time :lol

Look, this may sound as a warning, but it's not, it just my way of playing GTA... maybe you won't get bored by fucking around.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
calder said:
I find the radio pretty disappointing overall. As other people have said, the selection is good and the quality of tracks is probably very good overall, but bottom line there is not one single station that plays more than one song I personally like and half the stations have absolutely nothing for me. You'd think with all tracks they have and effort they put into it there'd be one station that was pure win for someone like me who has fairly average taste in modern music. And the satire is way overdone on the commercials and the talk stations, wish they'd dialed that down a bit.

Agreed on the radio stations - I have the GTA 3 stations all on mp3 and there's 100x more personality in those than GTA IV. I thought it would just be nostalgia talking, but it's true - the Jazz station, WKTT and The Journey are all I would bump while playing - the rest were pretty much disposable. I didn't mind the satirical edge to the ads, considering how balls deep Vice City Stories got in that regard.

To hail a cab, hold down the L1 button whenever a taxi is within range, Niko will yell and they'll pull over...usually into a light standard. :lol Even better is when Niko is plastered and you hail a cab, he'll either scream "TAXXIIIII" or "BLAAARGH" before falling over in the street.

I just finished the game a few minutes ago. The last mission was a complete bitch, but I was getting so good at it after a while it felt like the Club - running through shooting everything in sight as fast as possible so I could
grab the bike, follow the coastline, hit the jump, climb in the helicopter, and promptly get shot down so I could do it
all over again. Ye gods.

Is it my favourite GTA? Overall, yes. The city is so comprehensively slotted together, the controls have improved by an order of magnitude I could only hope for in previous versions, and Niko as a character is fleshed out quite well. Sure, he has his inconsistencies, but so do all of us. After watching the credits, I just stood by the
Liberty Statue in the dark, thinking about Kate's death, then I trudged over to a dinghy and just floated around in the dark for a while in silence.
I felt bad for spending so much time
trying to get into her pants on dates as opposed to simply respecting her.
I know, I know...but that's how I felt.

Now that I've finished the game, I can safely enter this thread again. Time to catch up. :p

Wizpig

Jamesfrom818 said:
He was with
Manny
Really...
REALLY?!

Francis McReary first appeared THERE?!

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY SHIT i thought that Niko met him in Europe or something and the player couldn't know him from before.

Mind ... blown

raYne

Wizpig said:
Really...
REALLY?!

Francis McReary first appeared THERE?!

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY SHIT i thought that Niko met him in Europe or something and the player couldn't know him from before.

Mind ... blown
During the TV interview. He even introduces you two...

Pay attention. :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm so close to just stopping the game and getting rid of it, I beat it and wanted to replay it to do the opposite of each choice, but the missions are just so tedious and frustrating.

I was just on Three Leaf Clover, not a hard mission, but a long one. I love how Packie just fucking glitched and stood on the subway tracks, not reacting to anything, then Derrick did the same later. Subtitles still showed them talking, but there was no sound. I got to the top, Derrick warped right next to me and it told me to go back and get Packie. I did, and then I somehow made it to the car despite police with shotguns swarming the station and both Packie and Derrick not fighting at all. So I start to getaway and out of nowhere it says "Packie is dead". Fucking awesome.

calder

Ah ok, hailing cabs like a champ now. I must have missed an on-screen prompt early in the game, it's much easier than always just running in front of cabs to stop them. :lol

TTG

The only time I rode in a taxi was to get the achievement(it was a nice).

I think the driving in this GTA is better than the shooting actually, I have no idea why you guys would avoid it...

Controlling the helicopter is a bitch. It's officially worse than the motorcycles.

Music-wise, I find myself listening to different stations based on my mood. The first time I heard New York Groove, I was on a bridge driving towards Manhattan/Algonquin, it was at night and just when the song hit the first chorus I started seeing the lights of the city. Gave me this eerie, eerie feeling like it was real or something.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
:lol at the Lazlow Show during the interview with the PC nerd.

Lazlow: "I'm going to start a website..."
Nerd: "How, how how much memory does your PC have!?!?!"
Lazlow: "What? I don't know.."
Nerd: "What are the GIGS?!?!?"
Lazlow: "Screw you, I'm going over here to talk to this lady"
Nerd: "So AM I!!"

Nerd:"Scuse me! Scuse me! Lady. How much memory do you have?!?!

BTW: If anyone is up for some multiplayer, feel free to add me: Topher1414

jestro

Banned
Thank god the cars and driving are getting better. Just crossed 30%. Missions are actually getting fun too. Man the first 30% was pretty underwhelming.

I think it's pretty cool that whenever I need to replay a mission, the dialogue isn't always the same. The first couple of times I thought it was just me not remembering too well, but during the Three Leaf Clover mission on the drive to the bank, Packie and the dialogue with the other passengers was completely different after I failed and had to do it over.

That GAF game was ridiculous. :lol All of us running around a Liberty City ghost town alone. Weird. Good playing with you guys, we'll do it again soon.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Costanza said:
On Buoys Ahoy, can I take the boat out during the chase or is it scripted so I need to just wait until we get somewhere?

scripted, the guys need to get off on some platform where the game allows you to shoot them :rolleyes

Costanza

Banned
Darunia said:
scripted, the guys need to get off on some platform where the game allows you to shoot them :rolleyes
yeah, I got it... after trying to shoot them and failing the mission 3 times because I lightly hit something and the boat flipped.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Costanza said:
yeah, I got it... after trying to shoot them and failing the mission 3 times because I lightly hit something and the boat flipped.

yeah that sucks. I generally liked the boat chases because they were a change of pace, but these flips are really sudden deaths

Costanza

Banned
wtf

Dwayne called me and he's like "Yo man did you just call me? I was in the shower and my phone rang and I thought it might be you."
hmm?

ughhhh give me a mission to do. I wanna finish this tonight.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Costanza said:
wtf

Dwayne called me and he's like "Yo man did you just call me? I was in the shower and my phone rang and I thought it might be you."
hmm?

that's the most awesome telephone call in the game, Dwayne is so hilariously pathetic

chances of beating the game tonight: slim. you still got a couple to go, the final missions are also pretty long

Costanza said:
wtf

hmm?

Haha, yea I thought that was pretty cool. Only thing was I wondered why he just didn't check his call ID.

angelfly

Costanza said:
wtf

hmm?

I must have called at least 30 times but I never got anything other than that.

Top Bottom