• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

HiResDes

Humm.. Care to tell me why I made a mistake?

I did indeed research. I didn't want a gimmicky "gaming headset".. The only other headphone I considered in this range was the Fidelio 2; but didn't want to pay that price.

I currently own

Sennheiser hd555
ATH-M50 (head band leather is all but pealed off)
Sony MDR-1000x
Sony 950 BT
Pulse Elites
Sony MDRZX110NC
He didn't insinuate you made a mistake

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I mean, I assume you read reviews for both of them, then chose the one that fit you best.

Therefore, there should be no way you chose unwisely, and no one can really tell you a mistake was made.

anddo0

He didn't insinuate you made a mistake

I mean, I assume you read reviews for both of them, then chose the one that fit you best.

Therefore, there should be no way you chose unwisely, and no one can really tell you a mistake was made.

Ohh, my mistake (no pun) lol

Though. I trust your opinion . So, I wouldn't mind if you guys stopped me from making a bad purchase.

I'm having an issue you guys/gals may be able to help me with.

Just got a Fiio E10k in tonight, and while testing it out I noticed I get background buzz when playing games/ when my GPU is under load. Like if I pause the game and the GPU is still working, I can hear the buzz when it should be silent.

This also happened on the Sennheiser 3D G4me 1 usb sound card I have, but I thought it was just a flaw with the device itself. Having it also happen on the E10k (the whole reason I went external dac/amp was to avoid this) had me investigating.

The buzz does not happen on the usb sound card included with the Cloud 2. I am not sure it has an amp, I think its just a DAC if that matters.

I tried unplugging components, changing outlets, etc to no avail. Its definitely coming from my GTX 1070 GPU, the buzz even intensifies if I move my head to the side of my case while wearing my headphones.

Any ideas on how I can eliminate this? One other thing to note is that the CLoud 2 usb sound card has a thick, braided usb cable. The Fiio E10k and Sennheiser sound card just have regular thin usb cables. Would a thicker USB cable maybe work? How about a USB hub?

Thanks in advance!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Ohh, my mistake (no pun) lol

Though. I trust your opinion . So, I wouldn't mind if you guys stopped me from making a bad purchase.

Well, it might come down to the bass, as the ATH is very flat, while the 770 Pro 80 is very not. If you're looking for exciting, thumping bass, you went in the wrong direction.

matmanx1

I'm having an issue you guys/gals may be able to help me with.

Just got a Fiio E10k in tonight, and while testing it out I noticed I get background buzz when playing games/ when my GPU is under load. Like if I pause the game and the GPU is still working, I can hear the buzz when it should be silent.

This also happened on the Sennheiser 3D G4me 1 usb sound card I have, but I thought it was just a flaw with the device itself. Having it also happen on the E10k (the whole reason I went external dac/amp was to avoid this) had me investigating.

The buzz does not happen on the usb sound card included with the Cloud 2. I am not sure it has an amp, I think its just a DAC if that matters.

I tried unplugging components, changing outlets, etc to no avail. Its definitely coming from my GTX 1070 GPU, the buzz even intensifies if I move my head to the side of my case while wearing my headphones.

Any ideas on how I can eliminate this? One other thing to note is that the CLoud 2 usb sound card has a thick, braided usb cable. The Fiio E10k and Sennheiser sound card just have regular thin usb cables. Would a thicker USB cable maybe work? How about a USB hub?

Thanks in advance!

This type of noise seems to be more of an issue with USB DAC/amp devices that use USB power exclusively. This is one reason that I am a proponent of devices that do not use USB power but have a separate wall wart/ power supply and do not need power from the USB port.

We've had some folks with issues like this previously in this thread and the common denominator is almost always power and data over USB. If you have a USB hub that is plugged in to the wall then running your Fiio off of that might eliminate the noise. Otherwise I would consider sending the Fiio back and finding a device that does not use power over USB.

This type of noise seems to be more of an issue with USB DAC/amp devices that use USB power exclusively. This is one reason that I am a proponent of devices that do not use USB power but have a separate wall wart/ power supply and do not need power from the USB port.

We've had some folks with issues like this previously in this thread and the common denominator is almost always power and data over USB. If you have a USB hub that is plugged in to the wall then running your Fiio off of that might eliminate the noise. Otherwise I would consider sending the Fiio back and finding a device that does not use power over USB.
Do you know of a DAC/amp that doesn't use USB? Something in the $100 price range.

Going to try the powered external USB hub and see if that works.

Xander51

Do you know of a DAC/amp that doesn't use USB? Something in the $100 price range.

You could try something with an internal rechargeable battery maybe? I've had good luck with the Creative Labs E-series. The E1 is super cheap if you're looking to go that route. Lots of DAC/Amp combos out there made for phones that use their own internal battery and also work with computers.

Not sure about wall-powered stuff in that price range. I'd almost recommend stepping up a bit to a basic Schiit stack, or something.

matmanx1

It's not that using USB is bad (well, it kind of is but that's a whole other ball of wax) it's that using USB for both power and signal can cause sound quality issues. When you use a DAC/amp that pulls its power from the wall jack then you eliminate that as a potential source of noise from the PC.

The closest I could find to $100 on Amazon was this unit by Topping at $119: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EO0SEPK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Like Xander51 said, a basic Schiit stack would be a pretty big jump in quality over the Topping or anything from Fiio and the Amp (Magni 2) and DAC (Modi 2) are $99 each. If you can up your budget a little bit then those would be the easy recommendation.

It's not that using USB is bad (well, it kind of is but that's a whole other ball of wax) it's that using USB for both power and signal can cause sound quality issues. When you use a DAC/amp that pulls its power from the wall jack then you eliminate that as a potential source of noise from the PC.

The closest I could find to $100 on Amazon was this unit by Topping at $119: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EO0SEPK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Like Xander51 said, a basic Schiit stack would be a pretty big jump in quality over the Topping or anything from Fiio and the Amp (Magni 2) and DAC (Modi 2) are $99 each. If you can up your budget a little bit then those would be the easy recommendation.

Would a powered USB hub possibly eliminate the interference since the DAC would be getting power from it instead of the PC USB? I might just return the Fiio and look towards something better like you mentioned down the road.

Man coil whine is annoying.

matmanx1

Would a powered USB hub possibly eliminate the interference since the DAC would be getting power from it instead of the PC USB? I might just return the Fiio and look towards something better like you mentioned down the road.

Man coil whine is annoying.

Possibly, yes. If you have a USB hub with AC power than I would certainly test that first.

Skytylz

Banned
Hey, I need some dac/amp recommendations. Combo or not, doesn't matter a ton.

The specific thing I'm looking for is a headphone and RCA out which I can toggle between and have volume control on both from the same nob. I will be feeding the RCA out to some powered speakers and I don't want to reach behind them to adjust the volume. I'd also like to avoid unplugging the headphones to make the toggle happen, but I'd be willing to deal with that if there isn't a great option.

Right now the fostex hp-A4BL is the only product I've found which will do exactly this.

matmanx1

Well, as an owner of an HP-A4BL I can tell you that it is well made, aesthetically pleasing and exhibits no hiss or hum even with sensitive IEM's. It's not very powerful but it still has plenty of power for most of the stuff on the market.

And of course the upside is you can always add a more powerful stand alone amp later and use those same RCA ports to use the HP-A4BL as a DAC only or switch back to the internal amp via the press of a button. It's very convenient.

matmanx1

Speaking of the HP-A4BL, here's my Meze 99 Classics sitting on a Just Mobile headphone stand on the HP-A4BL.

kVj3Odn.jpg

Skytylz

Banned
Well, as an owner of an HP-A4BL I can tell you that it is well made, aesthetically pleasing and exhibits no hiss or hum even with sensitive IEM's. It's not very powerful but it still has plenty of power for most of the stuff on the market.

And of course the upside is you can always add a more powerful stand alone amp later and use those same RCA ports to use the HP-A4BL as a DAC only or switch back to the internal amp via the press of a button. It's very convenient.

The power is my main concern with the A4. I have the HD650 right now, I assume they would be fine. I'd rather not have to buy new gear if I get new headphones though. Trying to keep the AV equipment on my desk minimal as well.

Possibly, yes. If you have a USB hub with AC power than I would certainly test that first.

Tried a triple shielded and braided, short 0.5 ft micro USB cable. No dice, still get buzz from the GPU under load.

Might try the powered USB hub tomorrow. If that doesn't work I'm sending the E10k back.

Tried a triple shielded and braided, short 0.5 ft micro USB cable. No dice, still get buzz from the GPU under load.

Might try the powered USB hub tomorrow. If that doesn't work I'm sending the E10k back.

I'm having the same exact issue as you, please post here if you find a solution. I haven't been able to try a powered hub or non usb powered DAC yet because of life stuff.

Was told to post here by another poster, so I'll just copy my original post. I'm pretty ignorant to headphones, so the simpler the better.

I know there's a lot of threads asking about headsets, but a lot of them aren't looking for high end. I'm looking for a high end headset that works on PS4, X1, PC. Preferably wireless since I wear a headset when I workout. Also want 7.1.

I recently upgraded my Sony golds to the Platinums, and I hate them. The VSS/3D sounds like I'm in a cave, and the sound just doesn't seem that much better than the golds. So now I'm looking to get something drastically better, and would like some recommendations. Thanks guys.

Price range of $200-$300.

Glassboy

Anyone ever try the seinheisser hd 800s I was thinking of upgrading to the 650s and I just want to know if it's worth it to go to the next level?

Dart

I'm thinking of getting the Sony H.ear wireless, previously owned the elite pulse but they finally broke a few weeks ago. Can anyone that has them recommend? Thanks

Kambing

Anyone have a Schiit Gungnir Multibit or Yggdrasil? I am considering the move from WooAudio WA7. They have served me incredibly well for the past 3 years, but the lack of a TOS link port unfortunately means i am unable to connect my consoles to it. If only the USB DAC would work!

Mainly curious about impressions, and better yet, those who have had the chance to compare the WooAudio and Schiit. I will be pairing with HD 800's and Ether Flow.

Anyone ever try the seinheisser hd 800s I was thinking of upgrading to the 650s and I just want to know if it's worth it to go to the next level?

Over a period of 6 years, i went from HD 598's, to 650's and now have the 800's. When it comes to high-end audio, it really is a personal experience, and well for me each jump was worth it.
May i ask what DAC/AMP you will be pairing the headphones with? Though i am not trying to steer you away from the 800's, i would seriously recommend auditioning the Ether Flow by Mr. Speaker. It is almost double the cost, but much like GoldenEar speakers, they are endgame worthy, while priced more competitively than its peers.

In fact, you can audition a pair of 800's from Amazon, and audition a pair of Ether Flow from mrspeakers.com, if you so desire. Both have great return policies, and in the end you can decide if it is even worth upgrading from the 650's.

Elfstruck

It's insane how much better gaming sounds on the Fidelio X2's compared to my Sony Gold's. Titanfall 2 sounds ridiculous now.

To me, the improved audio quality is worth going back to a single cable.

I'm planning on purchasing the X2 for gaming. Can I plug it into the ps4 controller directly or I have to use the usb port on the console?

Glassboy

Where in midwest? I'm sure Minnesota has some pretty decent audiophile stores that'd carry these. Do some google research, Yelp the major city centers commutable from you.
Yeah I'm in MN. I didn't have any luck doing any initial google research but I'll look into it some more. Thanks for the help!

deoee

I'm still amazed at how good the Sennheiser HD8 DJ sound for being DJ cans and with a little bit of EQ tuning *_*

matmanx1

Well, hello there! Look what the postman left for me. My TH-X00's are here!
MjTNtBN.jpg

They look good, they smell good and I'm currently working on how I feel about the sound. First impressions: holy bass, batman! Vocals and mids are really smooth. Even with less than 15 minutes of listening I can already tell these are producing a much higher quality sound than my Meze 99 Classics.

More to come.

deoee

Well, hello there! Look what the postman left for me. My TH-X00's are here!
MjTNtBN.jpg

They look good, they smell good and I'm currently working on how I feel about the sound. First impressions: holy bass, batman! Vocals and mids are really smooth. Even with less than 15 minutes of listening I can already tell these are producing a much higher quality sound than my Meze 99 Classics.

More to come.

They look sexy - is this real Mahagoni?

Ive never listened to the 598s (I own the 598 Cs), but the shp9500s are amazing. Absurd for the price. Many people believe they sound just as good as headphones 3-4x their price.

Highly doubt you would be disappointed. They are also comfortable as all hell.
In your opinion, are they better than the 598Cs?

nitewulf

Right on. I'm gonna have to call and see if they could give me a demo. Have you ever tried the hd 800?

Nah, they are not fit for my purpose. I'm only into portable headphones, so they have to be small-ish and closed backs. I heard much cheaper Senn models with closed backs (not wireless or controllable bass ones - I'm into purity) and for the money (~$200 ish) I thought they sounded very good, so their top end models should be good. It's always a good idea to audition because you never know, you may like the HD650s better and totally hate the HD800s, or, for sure you may love the HD800s. But you don't wanna just spend the cash without knowing, definitely suggest taking some tracks with you that are very familiar to you and flac, 320 kbps mp3 or other high res format.

The 800 is very dependent on your upstream gear. If your not willing to build a system around it, generally I recommend the 650.

leng jai

To be honest I actually think the HD800 excel more when it comes to gaming and watching movies due to their soundstage. The imaging, detail and immersion is outrageously good. For music it's much more taste dependent, not to mention gear. Amazing for acoustic, orchestral soundtracks and classical. Pop music not so much. You'll probably be better off with the 650s for a while.

To be honest I actually think the HD800 excel more when it comes to gaming and watching movies due to their soundstage. The imaging, detail and immersion is outrageously good. For music it's much more taste dependent, not to mention gear. Amazing for acoustic, orchestral soundtracks and classical. Pop music not so much. You'll probably be better off with the 650s for a while.

The 800 can slam with the right gear. Probably the best headphones in the world for gaming, though a bit overkill.

Vipu

Banned
I have HD650 and O2 amp.

Some suggestions what amp+dac to upgrade in some future, I have not planned to upgrade yet but just to have some kind of plan when I do.

Around 400€ maybe, can be flexible if needed.

You won't be able to get a big upgrade at that price, but something like the Vali 2 would be a better option than the O2 for your amp.

I'd wait until you can stretch for at least a Modi Multibit and a nice amp to pair with it. Vali 2 or wait to see what the upcoming Magni 3 has in store.

leng jai

The 800 can slam with the right gear. Probably the best headphones in the world for gaming, though a bit overkill.

I've never had an issue with their bass quantity actually, especially with tubes. Is it even possible for a headphone to have a soundstage that big and tons of bass slam?

The problem with the HD800 with a lot of pop and modern recordings is that they just sound too bright.

Top Bottom