• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The People Vs. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story - S1 - FX Tues - 90 on Metacritic

Dalek

Chilling episode.

I can't believe F. Lee Bailey's technique with the glove. I don't even understand what he was trying to do there.

Lkr

What an ep. I wasn't a fan of the portrayal of Marcia so far, mainly because there was no reason to care about her. That last episode makes me root for her. All that shit they threw at her is fucking ridiculous
Also loving the fact that they're showing the media obsession with this. No documentary I've seen has ever captured the gravity of it as well as this show is doing right now. I did not live through this, I was a baby.
I can't do Cuba as OJ. He's just too small and while he's a great actor, the physical disparity is too much

Dalek

To say this case was everywhere at the time was an understatement. Those scenes where they show people in public all crowded around a TV are spot on. Every day something crazy would happen.

Why didn't anyone tell me this show is amazing.

I was 6 or 7 when this happened so I can only really recall stuff like a glove and a white jeep.

Man this case is so ridiculous, the case itself, the people involved, the cultural/social aspect and involvement.

All the acting in the show, sans Travolta, is really good. The guy playing Cochran is amazing. The lady playing Marcia is great. I like Goodings take on Simpson, however I can't really recall ever seeing Simpson in motion vs. a picture.

The last episode was powerful. Just seeing what happened to Marcia and the complexities of her character. When she broke down in court that has legit hard to watch. So powerful.

I've been thinking about the show, specifically the last episode off and on all day. I'm gonna have to buy this when it's out on bluray. So freaking good.

I've been binge watching this earlier today, and I'm convinced they just let Travolta do whatever he wants, much like how Christopher Walken didn't even bother to try or dance in that Peter Pan live special a couple years ago....

l5J8SiM.gif

I've been binge watching this earlier today, and I'm convinced they just let Travolta do whatever he wants, much like how Christopher Walken didn't even bother to try or dance in that Peter Pan live special a couple years ago....

l5J8SiM.gif

Isn't he an executive producer? You are probably right.

KodaRuss

Finally got a chance to get caught up on the show last night with the wife and damn this show is great. I was 10-11 when this was going on and remember a lot of it but wow it is powerful to watch.

I remember listening to the verdict on the radio at school in 5th grade, crazy times.

Best episode of the series so far. Paulson just secured the Emmy. Absolutely brutal.
Apparently that tampon joke the cashier made was a real event, too.

The first show in awhile I look forward to each week. I am beyond hooked.

Vance and Paulson actors are getting Emmys.

Travolta and Gooding deserves a Razzy.

I know Cuba is kinda sus for this as OJ, but I love his monologue in the Race Card episode.

“I want you to know I never left anyone behind, Johnnie. I did what I had the right to do. I manifested myself out of a messed-up situation. Don’t think there weren’t people from where I came from hanging on the back of my shirts with a hand out, waiting for me to drag them up, too. But it don’t work like that. You gotta get it on your own. Nobody can do it for you. I never apologized for buying a beautiful house in a beautiful neighborhood. A neighborhood where you don’t have people coming over the wall trying to get at me, trying to take what I learned. I ain’t never apologizing for that, you hear me?”

Courtney B Vance tho...he's just so good. He has all the mannerisms down. "If that playing the race card", *dramatic pause, shakes head*, "then so be it"

I almost jumped out of my damn chair when he said "Nigger please". He hit my dude with the Hard R. Like bro, we gotta go to blows after some shit like that, meet me in the parking lot b. Aint nobody bout to call me an Uncle Tom.

Also Johnnie's wife is sooooooooo fine. Black does not crack. Her smile is perfect

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
The first show in awhile I look forward to each week. I am beyond hooked.

Vance and Paulson actors are getting Emmys.

Travolta and Gooding deserves a Razzy.

Just because Cuba doesn't look like OJ doesn't mean he deserves a Razzy. Come on now. He's been great in a lot of scenes.

Paulson and Vance gonna be cleaning up during awards season though that's for sure.

Vyer

binged everything the last few days. i was expecting some pretty ridiculous over the top spectacle- and it has some of that - but I didn't expect the quality and great performances to go with it. good shit

Man, the work Johnnie did on both Marcia and Darden was just plain masterful. And the show is doing a good job showing it.

Literally made the prosecution defend their every action until the jury no longer believed them.

That's a level of mind games I can't even do on a regular level, nevermind in a major court case.

Curufinwe

So after the glove gamble went perfectly for the defense, Johnny reached out to shake Shapiro's hand, but Bob flipped it so they could double low five instead, right?

I thought that was a pretty cool moment.

GorillaJu

Man that episode was fantastic, it absolutely flew by. As Darden and Clark got closer and closer to each other I kept dreading the moment where things go wrong for them.

The juxtaposition of how she gave the whole low-down of the extremely damning hard evidence to Chris' friend Byron, and then the next day takes a huge hit was really effective.

I was a kid when this whole thing happened and I remember seeing him with the gloves on TV and I was fucking ecstatic when I saw they didn't fit because I wanted him to be not guilty, but I couldn't shake the feeling that they really would fit and he just didn't put them on all the way.

They fit a lot better in real life :p

juice9n-3-web.jpg

BFIB

I always thought Marcia gave the green light to Darden on the gloves to pursue in his own way? I could be wrong there.

GorillaJu

I always thought Marcia gave the green light to Darden on the gloves to pursue in his own way? I could be wrong there.

The Vanity Fair fact check claims that it wasn't a dispute between them: the prosecution had agreed to have OJ try on the gloves, but they wanted him to try on the identical pair they had bought new, as the gloves in evidence my have shrunk. They also wanted him to try it on without latex gloves underneath, it was apparently Judge Ito's call that he try on the actual gloves as he did. They clearly wrote that in for drama's sake. Broke my heart though.

Until this week I really didn't like John Travolta's Bob Shapiro but I've really come around on him. The guys playing Cochren and Darden and the woman playing Clark are all just excellent in this.

Top Bottom