• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

I should run this by a co-worker of mine. Showed me his new Vita today immediately when he came in, but mentioned he couldn't find the Vita version of this game after getting it on PS3. Was instead showing up as $10 at the Vita PSN store.

It would be pretty ridiculous if it didn't work the other way around. If it isn't in the Vita download list, I guess we have even more stupid PSN problems they're in no hurry to fix.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
It would be pretty ridiculous if it didn't work the other way around. If it isn't in the Vita download list, I guess we have even more stupid PSN problems they're in no hurry to fix.

When I bought it on PS3 of course it downloads both versions. I'd imagine you're supposed to just sideload that from the PS3, but it seems like it should ideally show up in your Vita download history too.

Ok, really annoying there are no retroactive uploads for hi-scores you obtained while offline. It kind of makes me less encouraged to play on the go.

C'mon devs, this is a portable game now, please look to SSD for guidance.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Ok, really annoying there are no retroactive uploads for hi-scores you obtained while offline. It kind of makes me less encouraged to play on the go.

You put up a nice score on Ripley's, took me quite a while to nab that one last night!

You put up a nice score on Ripley's, took me quite a while to nab that one last night!

That is funny, all my Ripley's scores have been brief exercises in frustration and luck, followed by rage quit. I hate that table, I've played it maybe three times.

My mains are ToM and TotAN, but I do want to try harder at liking Ripley's and BH.

Agent X

Really? That's somewhat disappointing.

Pinball Heroes on PSP was able to do this. If synchronization of offline scores could be accomplished on PSP, then I'm sure that Vita could handle it as well. Hopefully, they'll patch this feature in soon.

larvi

Just got all the wizard goals for Black Hole, now time to work on Theater of Magic and Ripleys. ToM looks doable but the Atlantis goal in Ripleys looks extremely daunting to me. I have a very hard time winning the destinations I visit especially the ones with multiball as the other ball on the playfield always seems to interfere with me making the shots I need.

Speaking on performance in general across plats cutting into texture detail, they could at least try getting rid of the room around the table with the Shoot Again and Uncle Sam posters, during actual gameplay anyway.

Maybe those outer elements aren't big resource drains, I dunno, but just the table in a black space is really all you need for a game like this. Slightly less detailed versions could be featured in an arcade setting during table selection, just like the old PS2 Williams Collection, but you need to be able to see the table particulars during gameplay. I hope it is possible to squeeze out more texture detail in the future.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Haven't seen anything besides what's in the OP, they're not satisfied with the current performance, and are working to optimize it before release. No real timeframe.

Oh well. I'll just have to wait for it then... I was hoping it would appear around the same time the west got 3DS DLC ability...

ToxicAdam

My iOS version wiped all of my high scores on ToTAN ... :eek:

No idea what I did to cause it or trigger it, but I was severely bummed.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Put in some quality time with TotAN last night on the PS3. So good. I think I finished around 30M or so, but I know I'm nothing compared to the pros.

FoxSpirit

Yeah, I like TotaN for it's storytelling and progression, ToM for the general round flow and MM... well, this game just has it all.
"Sir Missalot charges the lane!!"
Good flow, great story in jokes and multiball heaven. Also from what I saw great finale, the only letdown of my beloved ToM :-(

jvm

Gamasutra.
Yeah, I like TotaN for it's storytelling and progression, ToM for the general round flow and MM... well, this game just has it all.
"Sir Missalot charges the lane!!"
Good flow, great story in jokes and multiball heaven. Also from what I saw great finale, the only letdown of my beloved ToM :-(
MM isn't out yet on PS3/Vita, right? :( I couldn't find it. TotAN is fine for now, but I'd really dig MM.

(I have MM on the Williams disc, but I lent that to a friend.)

Minsc

Gold Member
It's supposed to be fairly improved as well (better modeling + physics), will be interesting to read people's thoughts who played it before.

jvm

Gamasutra.
It's supposed to be fairly improved as well (better modeling + physics), will be interesting to read people's thoughts who played it before.
Oh my. That will be interesting. I spent a boatload of time on the disc version (PS3).

Shaneus

I'm your guy! Have probably spent at least $100 (at $1 per game) on a machine in my town. Probably closer to double, actually.

Man, it's disheartening to wake up, see 5 iOS updates that appeared overnight... but no sign of Pinball Arcade. This is killing me.

Ramune

Well I had him go to his Download and Transaction history section on his Vita...and nothing! o_O;

ismaboof

As great as this game is, it will drastically improve when I can kick some Medieval Madness ass. Does anyone know when dlc hits PS3?

Agent X

Well I had him go to his Download and Transaction history section on his Vita...and nothing! o_O;

That's odd.

I conducted my purchase on the PS3 on Tuesday evening. At that time, it downloaded three files:

Pinball Arcade Demo (PS3)
Pinball Arcade Full Game Unlock (PS3)
Pinball Arcade PS Vita (PS Vita)

The Vita game downloaded as a "bubble" file. The next day, when I wanted to play it on Vita, I connected it to the PS3, went to Content Manager on the Vita, and transferred it over. At that point, it also removed the "bubble" from the PS3.

I just checked my Vita download list (in PS Store) a few minutes ago, just to see if everything appeared there. Sure enough, all three files appear in the list.

If all of these files are not in your friend's download list, then something is wrong.

Minsc

Gold Member
I feel like if any game ever called for a second review a year after release, it'd be this one. With hopefully 20-25 tables out, a better UI, and all the bumps gone, it could really be a significantly improved experience.

Something a little different I'd find neat for me is if for the release of the 50th table or something they added a extra game mode that turned it in to a bit of a building sim. A 3D virtual pinball arcade that starts bare bones and you earn points by your high scores which can be used to build up your arcade by adding decor, additional tables, and you'd get to position everything around. And you'd play the tables just by going up to them and inserting coins. Maybe that sounds a bit crazy, but I'd be up for a little sim/building mixed in to my pinball arcade. I don't expect it'd ever happen in a million years though, lol.

Shaneus

For the 50th table, I'd just be happy if it was an ultra-rare game like Pinball Circus or that Ben Heck Bill Paxton table ;)

Agent X

Has anyone else observed that the PS3 version of the game suffers from some fairly noticeable flipper lag? The flippers on the PS3 version definitely aren't as snappy or responsive as they are on the Vita version.

This definitely isn't a problem with my TV or the way the PS3 is connected to it. I've played Zen Pinball and Marvel Pinball on the same PS3, as well as Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection for Wii (connected to the same TV), and none of these games have noticeable lag.

One of my friends told me that he has also experienced flipper lag on the PS3 version. Like me, he doesn't experience lag on the Vita. He's also tried the demo for the Xbox 360 version of this game, and said there's no lag there, either. He's even got Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection for PS3, and said that seems to be fine.

I seriously hope FarSight can investigate this, and improve the control response soon.

While we're on the subject of bugs, here are a couple of other annoyances:

PS3: Twice today while starting up a new game of Ripley's Believe It or Not, at the beginning of the game, it continued to pan the camera around the table, but the ball never got loaded into the plunger. Calling the attendant accomplished nothing apart from giving a message saying that the ball wasn't stuck. I had to exit out of the game to the menu, and then go back into it again.

Vita: When you attain a high score, you must use the onscreen Select button to enter your initials. It would be nice to be able to use X, just as you do on PS3.

Grassy

I only bought the full version of this game last night on XBLA, but holy shit I'm loving it. I'm not a huge pinball fan to be honest but this game feels so good and is very addictive, even for a complete pinball newb like me.

I FUCKING SUCK at multi-ball...omfg.

Agent X

Another bug I've noticed in the Vita version: On the Black Hole table, for the group of three rollovers at the top of the upper playfield, the leftmost rollover doesn't work.

Also, on Black Hole, when you get multiball on Black Hole on the lower playfield, if one ball exits to the upper playfield and you subsequently shoot it back into the lower playfield, then the camera remains zoomed out to view the entire table, rather than zooming into the lower playfield (as it usually does when the action is focused entirely on the lower playfield). I don't know if this is a bug or just a design decision, but it seems like it would be better if it would zoom into the lower playfield when this happens.

Another bug I've noticed in the Vita version: On the Black Hole table, for the group of three rollovers at the top of the upper playfield, the leftmost rollover doesn't work.

Also, on Black Hole, when you get multiball on Black Hole on the lower playfield, if one ball exits to the upper playfield and you subsequently shoot it back into the lower playfield, then the camera remains zoomed out to view the entire table, rather than zooming into the lower playfield (as it usually does when the action is focused entirely on the lower playfield). I don't know if this is a bug or just a design decision, but it seems like it would be better if it would zoom into the lower playfield when this happens.

Mine has never worked either, we need a repair guy.

railGUN

Banned
I really want to get this game for my iPad, but its a new iPad and there is an all caps warning on the App Store page "Major known bug: DO NOT UPDATE TO THIS VERSION FOR THE NEW IPAD!"

Anyone know if / when this will be fixed, or is there a way to get the previous version? I've kept an eye on this thread but haven't seen anyone mention anything about the iOS version.

AEREC

I really want to get this game for my iPad, but its a new iPad and there is an all caps warning on the App Store page "Major known bug: DO NOT UPDATE TO THIS VERSION FOR THE NEW IPAD!"

Anyone know if / when this will be fixed, or is there a way to get the previous version? I've kept an eye on this thread but haven't seen anyone mention anything about the iOS version.

The update should drop any day now according to the devs.

Shaneus

A non-shitty version of this would make me very happy.
Impossible. It was made by Stern ;)

About the only new game I'd want to see of theirs* is the Steve Ritchie's AC/DC. My prediction is that the table will be fucking massive. Perfect pub fodder. No idea why in this version they mention the software programmer but not Ritchie himself. Very odd. Here's a better video, though. Bonus: T2 promo videos, featuring Ritchie sporting the loaded-with-coke-80s-Wall-Street-broker look: Part 1 Part 2

*there's probably a few others (T3 comes to mind as well) but I'm once-bitten, twice-shy with pretty much all their tables. They almost always feel like a lazy cash-in, despite hooking in usually-great designers.

And god DAMN that release had better not be far off. It's been over a fucking week without tables that landed on Android. Absolute horseshit.

Triz

Impossible. It was made by Stern ;)

About the only new game I'd want to see of theirs* is the Steve Ritchie's AC/DC. My prediction is that the table will be fucking massive. Perfect pub fodder. No idea why in this version they mention the software programmer but not Ritchie himself. Very odd. Here's a better video, though. Bonus: T2 promo videos, featuring Ritchie sporting the loaded-with-coke-80s-Wall-Street-broker look: Part 1 Part 2

*there's probably a few others (T3 comes to mind as well) but I'm once-bitten, twice-shy with pretty much all their tables. They almost always feel like a lazy cash-in, despite hooking in usually-great designers.

And god DAMN that release had better not be far off. It's been over a fucking week without tables that landed on Android. Absolute horseshit.

I hear ya. Stern may be the last Pinball manufacturer but a majority of thier tables dont stack up to mid 90's end of the pinball reign. I do love thier Lord of the Rings table, and I play thier tables any time I see one cause its the only pinball we get. But they arent any where near the calibur as Williams Bally and Gottlieb.

Shaneus

Do you think it's because of their (possibly correct) idea that the only games that could pull in money are licensed tables? I'd be curious to see what would happen if someone like Lawlor or Ritchie was given free reign to create a completely new IP.

depths20XX

I've been playing a ton of this lately. While the PS3 version looks better and feels better, I've mostly been playing it on Vita since I can watch a stream or whatever in the background while I play. Some of the scores on Black Hole in the leaderboards are ridiculous though, 1 billion?

I now think ToM is my favorite. Can't wait until they add more tables

Add me for competition
PSN: Depth-Charge-

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky

I heard it isn't coming until "the first week in May," and the plan from there out is two tables a month consistently.

Any 360 players out there? I am pretty much a complete novice at pinball, but add me so that my friend's leaderboard is not so deserted.

My gamertag is monkspider.

Shaneus

I heard it isn't coming until "the first week in May," and the plan from there out is two tables a month consistently.
Seriously? I thought they resubmitted it last week and at most there's a two week approval process. Any link to the info?

surly

Banned
PS3: Twice today while starting up a new game of Ripley's Believe It or Not, at the beginning of the game, it continued to pan the camera around the table, but the ball never got loaded into the plunger. Calling the attendant accomplished nothing apart from giving a message saying that the ball wasn't stuck. I had to exit out of the game to the menu, and then go back into it again.
That affects the 360 version too, cos I've had that happen a few times.

Minsc

Gold Member
Seriously? I thought they resubmitted it last week and at most there's a two week approval process. Any link to the info?

I believe that May date is referring to an older quote about the 360/PS3 approval process, see here. I always thought Apple's review period was a little annoying, but compared to a 4-5 week XBLA/PSN review period it seems a little better. I guess if you want to be able to play new tables a month before they come out, get an Android device! :)

Shearie

I believe that May date is referring to an older quote about the 360/PS3 approval process, see here. I always thought Apple's review period was a little annoying, but compared to a 4-5 week XBLA/PSN review period it seems a little better. I guess if you want to be able to play new tables a month before they come out, get an Android device! :)

I think that the first DLC tables for iOS was originally intended to come out around the same time as Android but the app rejection screwed that up. iOS updates should be more on par with Android's in future releases hopefully.

Top Bottom