• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

I actually don't mind the WWE layout. I think the rules need tweaking re: the upper ring, and that upper ring spinning plate on the LE is shithouse, but I remember having fun with it last time I was giving it a bash in comps.

As far as WoZ vs. GoT Pre., I'd think you'd get much more value out of the former. Besides, it's something that'll feel different from the numerous Sterns you've gone through ;P

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I actually don't mind the WWE layout. I think the rules need tweaking re: the upper ring, and that upper ring spinning plate on the LE is shithouse, but I remember having fun with it last time I was giving it a bash in comps.

As far as WoZ vs. GoT Pre., I'd think you'd get much more value out of the former. Besides, it's something that'll feel different from the numerous Sterns you've gone through ;P

Do you feel that the code on WWE could save the game?

Shaneus

Do you feel that the code on WWE could save the game?
I don't even *understand* the game! Really, honestly don't have a clue what I'm doing half the time. I just think it shoots unlike anything out there, but isn't shit... or slapped-together feeling like many other Stern titles (TWD).

I really like that Trudeau has rejoined the fold again. Always has a few really unique feeling shots. REALLY don't like that flipper gap though, it's too annoying. At least, thankfully, on Night Moves there's a pin in the middle of that gap to make it a little more casual-friendly :D

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Looking at pictures of stuff at TPF...I'm sorry, but Spooky Pinball games just look so damn cheap. I'm sure they're neat, but they look like toys built in someone's garage that people pay way too much money for.

Blu10

Looking at pictures of stuff at TPF...I'm sorry, but Spooky Pinball games just look so damn cheap. I'm sure they're neat, but they look like toys built in someone's garage that people pay way too much money for.

I used to agree with you. Didn't like much about them, but after spending some quality time with AMH I came away thinking the build quality was fantastic.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I used to agree with you. Didn't like much about them, but after spending some quality time with AMH I came away thinking the build quality was fantastic.

It's not the build quality as much as it's just the way the game looks. I mean, I know it's unfair to put Spooky up against Stern or even JJP (even though JJP was a startup...), but goodness do the Spooky games look bland. AMH is a funny example - it looks bland and boring, but people seem to say the game is crazy deep and deceivingly difficult. I also imagine it's built well because the door takes a beating.

But Rob Zombie just looks EXTRA bland. The side art is way too good for the rest of that game. A lot of people who played it seem to feel the same way after TPF. I want Spooky to succeed, but I don't see myself ever giving them my money.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Congrats! What made you decide on WOZ?

Couple of things.

First and foremost, the wife loved it when we played it. She loved the lights and the LCD screen. But one of the things she couldn't stop talking about was the two upper play fields. She REALLY enjoyed those, even if you aren't up there a ton. She absolutely LOVES verticality in games, and WoZ has a ton of it. The crossover ramps, the upper playfields, the flying monkey ball capture.

Knowing that, I started looking at other games. GoT Premium was an option, mostly because of the upper playfield. However, I still have not had a chance to play it. I've watched a LOT of games on it, and it looks great. But I have read a bunch of mixed thoughts on the upper playfield not being nearly as cool as it looks. Most reviews say that GoT is fast and furious (Pro and Premium/LE). The reason we got rid of TRON was because my wife would not play it because it was SO hard. She couldn't get anything accomplished and had no idea what to shoot at. It was too hard and clearly designed for a players and not casuals (which is OK).

The next big factor for me was rules. She loved WH20 (again with the verticality of it all), but that game isn't super deep. It's also expensive, hard to find locally, and a bear of a game to shop and maintain. Back to GoT, one of the weird things I had read was that the depth isn't necessarily in the rules but in the scoring. I love games to be difficult on lots of levels. WoZ rewards people who know the rules in that it has one of the deepest rule sets out there (SOTR is up there with Valinor from LOTR and SDMEWM from TSPP). But there's SO much bling and decoration that people just shooting at random shit can have a great time with it. So it caters to me in that I will likely never make it to SOTR, but my wife can shoot up the middle to get to either upper playfield and enjoy it. And of course, her baseline enjoyment will make her more prone to being interested in learning how to reach various modes.

So layout and rules were probably my biggest factor. The theme was tough for me to decide on. I could have ordered a Hobbit instead, which is actually more interesting thematically, but that game just doesn't look fun to me. WoZ isn't a theme I normally would care about, but the game is just SO much fun; it's easy to look past that aspect when the game plays so great. It's super family friendly, too (which the wife likes).

Next step is figuring out how to get the game upstairs. I want to put it in our loft because we don't have anything up there now, but I'm REALLY worried about getting a super heavy pinball machine up a steep set of stairs.

Shaneus

I got the same feeling when looking at (hell, AND playing) Full Throttle at my local. There's nothing inherently, specifically wrong with it but it just kinda feels like those Spanish no-name (or generic-theme) pinball machines. Have a bad feeling that's what Thunderbirds is going to come out feeling like :(

WOZ leaves the distributor tomorrow en route to Indiana!
Congrats! You must be pretty pumped :) You'll have a lot of fun with that game. I'm not a *massive* fan of it, but it has a wide appeal so I'm sure it passed the wife test easily ;)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I got the same feeling when looking at (hell, AND playing) Full Throttle at my local. There's nothing inherently, specifically wrong with it but it just kinda feels like those Spanish no-name (or generic-theme) pinball machines. Have a bad feeling that's what Thunderbirds is going to come out feeling like :(

Congrats! You must be pretty pumped :) You'll have a lot of fun with that game. I'm not a *massive* fan of it, but it has a wide appeal so I'm sure it passed the wife test easily ;)

It will be fascinating to see how RZ fairs. I worry that most of the reviews will be from either owners who want to keep the value of their machine high or from people rooting for Spooky as a company. Non-biased reviews of the game will be interesting to read. Full Throttle actually looks really cool, but the trim is SO bad. I can't believe they went with that. Did you play it? Does it play well or does it play cheap?

Also, WoZ is heading to my house sometime today - got the call last night. My wife is super excited - she just text me while at work saying, "I can't wait to play pinball tonight!!!" That's always a good thing. She's also still on me about getting an X-Men LE back in the house. There's a guy with one in his collection about 3 hours from me. I messaged him on Pinside that if he ever decides to sell it to try and remember me, ha.

I'm not into the theme of WoZ really, but the rules just blow me away. After finally putting some real time on it at my friend's place a few weeks back, I was sold. And it really does look and feel like something special next to modern Sterns.

We got a chance to set up some pins at the Denver Ink comic con for the weekend!

12794467_10205525236316347_4750959950583352077_n.jpg

That's awesome! How'd it go? Did you get audits?

We just finished setting them up. They will be there for this weekend. A friend of ours got the table as we supplied the machines. Not sure if we'll make much money but the idea is to get exposure so maybe we can put more pins in locations. The Girl running the table for us is a (professional?) cosplay person so we are at least hoping for some crazy pictures to come out of this.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
We just finished setting them up. They will be there for this weekend. A friend of ours got the table as we supplied the machines. Not sure if we'll make much money but the idea is to get exposure so maybe we can put more pins in locations. The Girl running the table for us is a (professional?) cosplay person so we are at least hoping for some crazy pictures to come out of this.

I misunderstood - sorry. I thought the con was last weekend and you were just getting around to posting the pics now, haha.

If you keep the cost low on it, I'm sure you'll get some decent drop. Like, most people probably aren't going to throw $1 into one of these games, but 25 or 50 cents? For sure. Keep us posted!

I misunderstood - sorry. I thought the con was last weekend and you were just getting around to posting the pics now, haha.

If you keep the cost low on it, I'm sure you'll get some decent drop. Like, most people probably aren't going to throw $1 into one of these games, but 25 or 50 cents? For sure. Keep us posted!

Yeah I'll be interested to see how it works. In this case both of these are Jen's so she set the price. They went with $1 a game so I wonder about the response. That's actually a normal price depending on where you play. If a place has lots of machine like the main locations, it's 50 cent, but any place that has 1-2 games, like pizza shops and bars almost always have 1$ a game just because of how much they cost to get.

In this case, at a comic convention with people constantly coming by, I think lots of people who don't know there is a GOT pinball are going to want to just try it out once and I think a dollar won't stop them.

vg260

Haven't played in along while, but does anyone know what the state of TPA is right now?

How many tables are left in the current season and any word on a next one?

Still no new UI?

Vyse24

Funny you mention how many tables are left this season, because it just decreased by 1 on Steam. Rescue 911 is downloading right now. This is Table Pack 8, so there're 2 packs left in the season. We'll know what the next table is as soon as the newsletter is released.

And the UI is still in beta. If you switch to the beta, you won't have most of the new releases. Mike posted that that'll be fixed soon.

Shaneus

LAH *is* a big surprise! Can't complain, they probably used the extra money from their KS campaigns to fund it or something.

Would've preferred the cash go to something a bit better (if they'd even have to pay anything for Rollergames) but it's not a horrible table... just not an amazing one.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Finally PS4 getting more season 5 tables, and Last Action Hero is a surprise.

LAH *is* a big surprise! Can't complain, they probably used the extra money from their KS campaigns to fund it or something.

Would've preferred the cash go to something a bit better (if they'd even have to pay anything for Rollergames) but it's not a horrible table... just not an amazing one.

Would they really be able to turn around and get the table licensed that quick, you think?

Either way, i'm ok with this table being a part of it.

Shaneus

Would they really be able to turn around and get the table licensed that quick, you think?

Either way, i'm ok with this table being a part of it.
Yeah, I didn't think they could.

Honestly, while I don't mind them covering some Stern/DE/Sega stuff (not holding it off until the standalone Stern app is strange) I still really want to see some of the more obscure titles from companies like Gottlieb. Like Genesis and TX-Sector, for example. And the more (relatively) obscure Williams ones like Rollergames.

In other news, my Night Moves will be heading my way VERY soon, will be getting it this Sunday! Finally put my High Speed back together after it was in parts (removed/unplugged backbox from cabinet) which was WAY quicker to do than I thought(!), so come this weekend I'll have three VERY different machines setup. And from three of the best modern pinball designers: Lawlor, Steve Ritchie and now Trudeau.

freaking pumped

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Is Last Action Hero still part of season 5 or is that the first table in season 6?

Tain

After playing Pinball FX on a consumer Rift I cannot stop thinking about how awesome TPA Rift support is going to be. God.

Not a big fan of LAH. Might be fun to run through the virtual version because the real game is a huge bastard to have to play in competition, which doesn't come up often.

Just note: We really only broke even from the comic-con, which is what I expected. Everything got back what we put in for the space and I got compensated for the gas but that about it. We did get rid of all the business cards and I technically sold a new Game of Thrones game to someone. Technically because I agree to the deal then put them in contact with Trent Augustine, who is the distributor and who sold Jen her games.

Local News: Instead of our regular pinball league we are trying the team 'super league' that they run in Seattle and NYC. We have 7 teams of 10 that place each other each Thursday. We routed the other team last week but now we play the team run by Donovan Stepp, who is a beast.

Shaneus

Just note: We really only broke even from the comic-con, which is what I expected. Everything got back what we put in for the space and I got compensated for the gas but that about it. We did get rid of all the business cards and I technically sold a new Game of Thrones game to someone. Technically because I agree to the deal then put them in contact with Trent Augustine, who is the distributor and who sold Jen her games.
What's this regarding? Have a feeling I should know what you're talking about re: comic-con and "breaking even", but don't.

Local News: Instead of our regular pinball league we are trying the team 'super league' that they run in Seattle and NYC. We have 7 teams of 10 that place each other each Thursday. We routed the other team last week but now we play the team run by Donovan Stepp, who is a beast.
That's funny, we're just starting a similar thing in April (tomorrow), but it's the "selfie league". Some fun machines to have it on, too:
TAF
CFTBL
Party Zone
Goldeneye
Party Zone

The Creech is stupid fucking hard and fast, which I'm absolutely loving. Owner apparently spent $2k getting it up to snuff, was surprised to hear it was the same machine that played (and looked) like crap only months ago.

Tips wanted/welcome!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Damn, Stern's Hello Kitty April Fool's was the only one I fell for for even a second (even though it was so obviously a joke) just because I wanted to believe it so bad. :p

Hmph, the latest batch of Season 5 tables aren't available for those who bought the (non Pro) Season Pass on the NA PSN store - great going, FarSight. It's bad enough that we have to wait so long for tables while other platforms take priority, but shit like this is just rubbing salt into the wound.

Shaneus

So I have my new pinball machine.

Looks like it's in good nick (yay!)

Doesn't come with keys (boo). Has taken me forever to try and pick it while waiting for a proper lock pick to come. Can't try it until then, because I need to switch the internal PSU to 240V first. VERY frustrating.

But it's a pretty looking game and the cats have given it a good sniff... so there's that.

Speaking of:
bfkiHWZl.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Nate on C2C podcast kind of bummed/freaked me out basically saying this was the end of C2C "as we know it," going on hiatus etc. ... until by the end it seemed like he would be announcing his "next thing" in three weeks. Thought the dude was gonna be gone for good busy with family/life stuff but glad that's not the case. Still one of my favorite podcasters even though tbh I'm not really that much into all the competitive talk, and I suspect his new venture is very much on the competitive side of things, but he's an easy listen so I don't mind too much. I'll even listen to him talk tournament scoring even though I have zero intention of every playing in one. :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Nate on C2C podcast kind of bummed/freaked me out basically saying this was the end of C2C "as we know it," going on hiatus etc. ... until by the end it seemed like he would be announcing his "next thing" in three weeks. Thought the dude was gonna be gone for good busy with family/life stuff but glad that's not the case. Still one of my favorite podcasters even though tbh I'm not really that much into all the competitive talk, and I suspect his new venture is very much on the competitive side of things, but he's an easy listen so I don't mind too much. I'll even listen to him talk tournament scoring even though I have zero intention of every playing in one. :p

It felt a bit odd. I'm not at all upset about his departure from C2C, and frankly I figured this would happen sooner than later. But I don't really enjoy any of the other Pinball Podcasts out there right now, so I'm not sure what I'll do. Spooky Pinball Podcast is boring as sin (and I don't love having the kids on there) and Kaneda's Pinball Podcast is full of stupid fake shit that I can't listen to (fake interviews with sound clips?)...

I'm happy for him and wish him the best, but C2C was one of the biggest game changers for me when it came to me getting into this hobby and I'm going to miss it.

Shaneus

Finally, the new machine is up and running!
This is what I had to go through to get this fucking thing:
* Deal with VERY suss eBay seller who upped his own transport costs several times since it was first listed, from $250AU to $450AU (plus $100 "packing" fee)
* Also from suss eBay seller: get "outbid" first time it was auctioned off at No Reserve, only to have this mysterious bidder pull out (presuming he wanted to get much more money)
* Have the game ship (via an external transporter, who only charged me $220) without keys, despite the owner showing gameplay footage. This involved about two weeks of trying to break into the damn thing.
* Painstakingly fiddling with molex pins/jumpers on a power supply cable to convert it from 110V to 220V.

So from first seeing the machine at Texas Pinball Festival in 2014, it's taken me a little over two years to get a truly unique machine. Couldn't be happier :)

It felt a bit odd. I'm not at all upset about his departure from C2C, and frankly I figured this would happen sooner than later. But I don't really enjoy any of the other Pinball Podcasts out there right now, so I'm not sure what I'll do. Spooky Pinball Podcast is boring as sin (and I don't love having the kids on there) and Kaneda's Pinball Podcast is full of stupid fake shit that I can't listen to (fake interviews with sound clips?)...

I'm happy for him and wish him the best, but C2C was one of the biggest game changers for me when it came to me getting into this hobby and I'm going to miss it.
You guys should try listening to This Flippin' Podcast with Tommy Skinner and Taylor Reese. I'm not a big fan of Taylor's (he's a little too loud and comes off as being a bit obnoxious) but Tommy is great to listen to. I used to enjoy Coinbox but haven't tuned in for a while and a lot of it I just listened to because there wasn't much else going on. Pinball Podcast is still fun if you don't mind their apathy schtick (I kind of appreciate it) but as far as Kaneda's goes... I haven't even downloaded a single episode to give him the satisfaction of a listener count.
I have a hunch that whatever he's doing it'll be with a pinball company, but I'm still not sure it'll necessarily be with Stern. Heighway needs to make inroads into the US promotion-wise (especially in time for Alien), and maybe Dutch Pinball could do with some help in that regard as well.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
You guys should try listening to This Flippin' Podcast with Tommy Skinner and Taylor Reese. I'm not a big fan of Taylor's (he's a little too loud and comes off as being a bit obnoxious) but Tommy is great to listen to. I used to enjoy Coinbox but haven't tuned in for a while and a lot of it I just listened to because there wasn't much else going on. Pinball Podcast is still fun if you don't mind their apathy schtick (I kind of appreciate it) but as far as Kaneda's goes... I haven't even downloaded a single episode to give him the satisfaction of a listener count.
I have a hunch that whatever he's doing it'll be with a pinball company, but I'm still not sure it'll necessarily be with Stern. Heighway needs to make inroads into the US promotion-wise (especially in time for Alien), and maybe Dutch Pinball could do with some help in that regard as well.

Tommy and I are good friends. He lives within an hour of me. We talk via email all the time. He does the video stuff on Twitch at Mainstreet Amusements, right? REALLY good dude, and a really good player, too. I'll give them a listen.

I tried listening to Kaneda and hated it. The one where he is getting for TPF was it for me. He is unorganized and just talks and talks and talks about nothing. He's definitely trying to play up his character and it comes off as garbage.

Also, congrats on getting your Night Moves up and running!!

Shaneus

Tommy and I are good friends. He lives within an hour of me. We talk via email all the time. He does the video stuff on Twitch at Mainstreet Amusements, right? REALLY good dude, and a really good player, too. I'll give them a listen.
Hah, that's awesome!

I tried listening to Kaneda and hated it. The one where he is getting for TPF was it for me. He is unorganized and just talks and talks and talks about nothing. He's definitely trying to play up his character and it comes off as garbage.
I won't even listen to one. After reading the thread on KLOV (I think?) about how he completely ripped off this guy for a Fix-It Felix custom cabinet, calling him names and "teaching him a lesson", I wouldn't piss on him if he was on fire.

Also, congrats on getting your Night Moves up and running!!
Thanks! Just so relieved it was (mostly) without hassle. Tweaked the flipper angles a little last night, replaced some VERY brittle rubbers that were basically disintegrating on contact and it plays a lot better. Honestly don't think I'll ever get rid of it, such a novelty and quite a bit of fun.

Only major gripe I have is that one of the random awards for a particular shot is to double your score, which is obviously horrible for any kind of balance. Don't think it can be turned off either :/

moggio

Banned
I've just started using the Beta UI and, while it is an improvement and I know it isn't finished yet, sheesh these guys aren't good at making a UI.

Maybe we can crowd-source a UI for them?

Shaneus

I've just started using the Beta UI and, while it is an improvement and I know it isn't finished yet, sheesh these guys aren't good at making a UI.

Maybe we can crowd-source a UI for them?
Believe it or not, I'm pretty sure that's been suggested on their forums. No kidding.

Top Bottom