• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Vyse24

New Newsletter: https://773839.content.nlgrid.com/w...YM1Z6WlhKZmFXUWlPakV5TnpneU1EUTROVE0yTkgwPQ==
January2016Hint.jpg

Hurricane

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sternthoughts:

-Played GoT for the first time. I can see why it's not as high on the rankings as some other recent Stern games. I've been playing a ton of my Metallica recently and it just doesn't really feel as good, but maybe I'm biased. :p Not really a GoT fan either so I'm hardly the target audience. It is still fun and quality though (it's a modern Stern after all) and I'm looking forward to playing it again.

-So per C2C Stern's next two games look to be Ghostbusters and some band-based game (based on Dirty Donnie doing the art)? I wonder if Ghostbusters will have LCD. I really want to get a big splashy Stern for my second machine, but I can't get a band one because thematically it would be too similar to Metallica. Ghostbusters though I might seriously consider.

Shaneus

Has anyone played around with Pinball Arcade PC in 4k? I'm wondering if a 980ti is capable of running it in 60fps at 4k.
I'd imagine it would shit it in. Don't quote me on that, but I think the only limiting factor would be video RAM, and if that card has plenty of it, it'll be fine.

I imagine that they want to add the rollercoaster trilogy in, Cyclone is the one left after this.
You mean Comet. But the three all play very similarly to me. I guess it's fine, but it just seems like a wasted table. ;)
Yeah, Cyclone is the one we have, but there are two left for the trilogy... Comet and Hurricane. Of course, it might not have anything to do with that and maybe it's Rollercoaster Tycoon!

Sternthoughts:

-Played GoT for the first time. I can see why it's not as high on the rankings as some other recent Stern games. I've been playing a ton of my Metallica recently and it just doesn't really feel as good, but maybe I'm biased. :p Not really a GoT fan either so I'm hardly the target audience. It is still fun and quality though (it's a modern Stern after all) and I'm looking forward to playing it again.
I'm not a GoT fan at all and I think it plays fantastically. But then, I'm a Steve Ritchie fan and hell, it just feels great to play something that doesn't feel like his previous tables (ST, ACDC) and has flow, but still has some stupidly tight shots.

After I first played it, to a friend I likened it to No Fear.

-So per C2C Stern's next two games look to be Ghostbusters and some band-based game (based on Dirty Donnie doing the art)? I wonder if Ghostbusters will have LCD. I really want to get a big splashy Stern for my second machine, but I can't get a band one because thematically it would be too similar to Metallica. Ghostbusters though I might seriously consider.
Pretty sure they said their next machine *won't* have a colour LCD. Their PR guy did say that but later went back on his statement. Unless it's been stated otherwise, I'm guessing their next machine is GB (monochrome screen) and after that, the Dirty Donny machine (hoping for something like Spinal Tap, but guessing Alice Cooper, maybe Ozzy Osbourne or similar).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That's too bad. Ghostbusters is such a colorful and visual (duh) franchise I think it would really benefit. The other problem I have with bands is that I'm just not that into any of the realistic candidates. Maiden, Ozzy, Cooper would just be too dark (and just not that interesting to me tbh). I guess Aerosmith is OK. Can't fault them for going to the well again though as their band games have been insanely successful.

So I guess maybe I'm three games out. :p Unless some non-Stern company comes out with something completely amazing in the interim.

Shaneus

That's too bad. Ghostbusters is such a colorful and visual (duh) franchise I think it would really benefit. The other problem I have with bands is that I'm just not that into any of the realistic candidates. Maiden, Ozzy, Cooper would just be too dark (and just not that interesting to me tbh). I guess Aerosmith is OK. Can't fault them for going to the well again though as their band games have been insanely successful.
Of course, that's all if I'm remembering correctly! But don't get your hopes up, that's all I'm saying :)

So I guess maybe I'm three games out. :p Unless some non-Stern company comes out with something completely amazing in the interim.
Heighway is building Alien Pinball very, very soon! And of course, I'm eagerly awaiting Homepin's Thunderbirds, but given most Americans have never heard of it, it's unlikely to be one on your radar.

vg260

Maiden has arguably the most rich and detailed catalog of imagery of any rock or metal band. Their art is as much a part of each album release as the music. They have decades of art with more material than to pull from than Ozzy, Aerosmith, Priest, Alice Cooper, even Metallica and AC/DC for that matter. Their stage show for every tour is a huge visual production, with big mechanical Eddies all over and their fans are rabid and eat up merchandising. It's hard to think of a better fit for a table than Maiden and they are long overdue.

That being said, looking at that artist's artwork, it does not fit Maiden's style at all.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh I totally agree, and I'm all for it. I think they'd get a ton of sales to Maiden fans too. Just that I won't be getting it for myself. :p Definitely well deserved though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Zsoft just announced Zaccaria Pinball is now in the Steam Greenlit program

So spread the word and get some votes happening..their IOS version is simply amazing and it would be amazing to have this on PC

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=605301580

day night, or stormy night lighting, RGB or white LED lighting or original , glass reflection quality , table dirt and wear..really amazing stuff on the ipad

Check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwYghjdONXUhttp://

Ooooh I like, I always want to show EM machines more love

Teppic

Bought Season 1, 2 & 3 on the Steam sale. Had season 1 on PS4 before, but figured I wanted them all on PC as it seems to get more updates and fixes to the tables.

snaffles

Played this game for the first time in probably six months. Set my new high score for Star Trek: TNG, still my favourite table to play.

Jucksalbe

Banned
From the kickstarter for the Doctor Who table:

We have some VERY exciting news!

If we reach our goal, in ADDITION to our re-creation of the 1992 Bally classic, we will be able to create a new REGENERATED Doctor Who table!

This new table will be based on the original machine’s design. However, in our updated version, we’ll be allowed to redo all of the graphics and audio by including the latest doctors and new material from the show! We will also update the art style of the table, add new lighting features, and build in a couple new toys to make it the most intense “mod” ever of a Doctor Who table – real or digital!

We’ve added new tiers that include backers getting the Bally version and early access to this new version of the table.

We seriously still need your help, though. If we don’t meet our campaign goal, we’re not going to be able to add either table. Please tell your friends who are fans of Doctor Who, past and present, about this really cool campaign.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Played this game for the first time in probably six months. Set my new high score for Star Trek: TNG, still my favourite table to play.

ST:TNG. RBION, and TZ are all I need in TPA to be complete. All 3 play so great and feel really epic in scope. They're all really organic and have a certain aura about them.

Regarding Dr. Who, how will the table and the bonus table play into the season pass? Will it be KS exclusive? Also, is TAF Gold a KS exclusive?

I've been really busy with work so I haven't had much time to play.

The state finals are this weekend and I'm playing from the #5 spot.

Since we don't have tournaments on the second Sunday right now, I'm hosting a tournament on Valentine's day Downtown. If I had figured out that I wanted to do it a month ago, I could have had it set up as an official annual tournament I could host each year. I'll be ready for it next year though.

Shaneus

Farsight has put the Gold TAF table as a Kickstarter reward at $99+. Other rewards given at that include multiple copies of the original Dr. Who table, multiple copies of the Regenerated Dr. Who table, 2 Season 6 passes and more.

Kickstarter thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1170833
I still don't quite "get" the reward tiers used for this. What tiers include which tables for which platforms, that sort of thing.

Edit: In other pinball updates, I finally got to play a GoT LE over the weekend. The artwork is still goddamned horrible, but it did play well while I was there. Apparently had a stuck ball and busted left flipper later that day. Hilarious given it replaced a Full Throttle that was taken out because of all the issues it was having.

Still prefer the GoT Pro though.

I still don't quite "get" the reward tiers used for this. What tiers include which tables for which platforms, that sort of thing.

Edit: In other pinball updates, I finally got to play a GoT LE over the weekend. The artwork is still goddamned horrible, but it did play well while I was there. Apparently had a stuck ball and busted left flipper later that day. Hilarious given it replaced a Full Throttle that was taken out because of all the issues it was having.

Still prefer the GoT Pro though.

I finally played the LE last weekend. I might feel differently if I knew what the upper field gave you but as it stands it just covers up 1/3 of the playfield and I'm not a fan. They also did that Stern LE thing of putting a drop target in front of what was a nice clean shot before. I don't think the LE should be harder, just different and they are on this kick of trying to make the LE harder to play and I'm sure that's for collectors but it doesn't interest me.

Oh, Jen sent me a message today that the GOT pro she bought is on it's way to the house! It should be awesome to play it but she wants to put it in a location soon so I may not have much time

Shaneus

I finally played the LE last weekend. I might feel differently if I knew what the upper field gave you but as it stands it just covers up 1/3 of the playfield and I'm not a fan. They also did that Stern LE thing of putting a drop target in front of what was a nice clean shot before. I don't think the LE should be harder, just different and they are on this kick of trying to make the LE harder to play and I'm sure that's for collectors but it doesn't interest me.

Oh, Jen sent me a message today that the GOT pro she bought is on it's way to the house! It should be awesome to play it but she wants to put it in a location soon so I may not have much time
Yeah, I feel you on the LE thing. Thinking about it, it's happened with pretty much every LE over the last few years. Off the top of my head, ones that are harder:
X-Men (drop targets, spinning plate)
Mustang (drop targets)
WWE (spinning plate)
Metallica (that hammer to obscure the view)
GOT LE (that drop target, obv)
Kiss (I think there's a drop target in front of Starchild?)
And I'm sure there are others. Drop targets as targets are great, love them. But as ways of obscuring shots and making things harder... nuh-uh.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Yeah, I feel you on the LE thing. Thinking about it, it's happened with pretty much every LE over the last few years. Off the top of my head, ones that are harder:
X-Men (drop targets, spinning plate)
Mustang (drop targets)
WWE (spinning plate)
Metallica (that hammer to obscure the view)
GOT LE (that drop target, obv)
Kiss (I think there's a drop target in front of Starchild?)
And I'm sure there are others. Drop targets as targets are great, love them. But as ways of obscuring shots and making things harder... nuh-uh.

XMEN LE didn't have any drop targets that I'm aware of. The main differences were the spinning disc, iceman ramp, and nightcrawlers. TWD has a drop in front of Woodbury I think. I think ST had a drop on LE but not the pro. Cannot remember.

As for drops, I don't mind them, but I agree that drops should not be left out or added to mess with the artificial difficulty. But since we know they will be forever and ever, some games do it better than others. I like the way TWD does it since that shot isn't a drain monster on its own. Features are fascinating...

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Has anyone played around with Pinball Arcade PC in 4k? I'm wondering if a 980ti is capable of running it in 60fps at 4k.

Not sure if you play horizontal or not but NoEx camera mod only supports up to 1080 x1920 playfield resolution. bAckbuffer can be 4k for downsampling which looks great but I would rather play at 1080x1920 with Camera mod then 4K without..Camera mod fixes to many issue with the game

Shaneus

XMEN LE didn't have any drop targets that I'm aware of. The main differences were the spinning disc, iceman ramp, and nightcrawlers. TWD has a drop in front of Woodbury I think. I think ST had a drop on LE but not the pro. Cannot remember.

As for drops, I don't mind them, but I agree that drops should not be left out or added to mess with the artificial difficulty. But since we know they will be forever and ever, some games do it better than others. I like the way TWD does it since that shot isn't a drain monster on its own. Features are fascinating...
Wait, I was thinking of the Nightcrawler pop-up target things. Not that far off being drops :) But both versions of ST had them for the main target/lock, only significant thing missing from ST Pro was the kickback (and RGB inserts, and baked potato asteroids).

Still yet to see a TWD LE/Premium anywhere here in Australia. Very strange that it's yet to make an appearance :/

on Pc all tables use the updated physics now
Might've been referring to the iOS version, in which case I'm pretty sure they're only on Xenon (and newer). Which is shit, they said they'd go to all the tables. Fairly quickly, too.

Vyse24

I may have to pay another visit to Modern Pinball NYC soon. Looking at the games list, it seems they have a few new machines. Game of Thrones, F-14 Tomcat, Gold Strike (El Dorado EM), and 2 machines I've never heard of: Kings of Steel and Striker Xtreme.

Tier_breadown.jpg

http://pinballarcade.com/eblast/images/Tier_breadown.jpg

The Addams family pinball right out lane is a real <insert favourite expletive>

My right outlane drains on that table happen in one of two ways:

1. Sloppy shots off the right flipper. A late forehand at the chair into the graveyard has a high probability of either caroming straight out to the right side or causing it to land on those merciless slingshots.

2. The Power. Every now and then the table will just say 'fuck you this ball is going out' when you've got two balls locked, are doing Seance or have multiball going.

Shaneus

I may have to pay another visit to Modern Pinball NYC soon. Looking at the games list, it seems they have a few new machines. Game of Thrones, F-14 Tomcat, Gold Strike (El Dorado EM), and 2 machines I've never heard of: Kings of Steel and Striker Xtreme.

Tier_breadown.jpg

http://pinballarcade.com/eblast/images/Tier_breadown.jpg
That they even need such a spreadsheet... sheesh!

PS. So in for the Zaccaria app! Surprised they're going down the Indiegogo route though. Figured Steam would be enough.

Looks like Zaccaria mostly needs the money to self-publish and distribute and provide support for the 3 desktop OSes?

What a weird thing to need money for. At least the initial goal is only $10k for Windows. I have to wonder what they mean by 'extra game modes' for pinball. And why so many. I can only think of multiplayer as an 'extra game mode.'

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
not sure if posted but they've been greenlit in 21days on steam.
I wasn't sure about the The Indiegogo campaign to self publish
but 25US is basically a really good deal for pre-ordering and you get all 38 tables.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
not sure if posted but they've been greenlit in 21days on steam.
I wasn't sure about the The Indiegogo campaign to self publish
but 25US is basically a really good deal for pre-ordering and you get all 38 tables.

I've got two months to think about this, and at that price, it's really tempting.

I see they have reflections enabled. Wish TPA would add this, as much as I love High Speed II it's missing something without the red siren.

Oh lord, hold me! I just got confirmation that the Game of Thrones Pro and the ACDC premium will show up at the house later today! I'll take some pictures.

You bought those? Congrats!!

MY roomate, Jen Peavler bought them. She is going to put them on location in a few months but until then : )

We have an ACDC that should be showing up tonight still and she bought a Walking Dead that hasn't shipped. She only put down money for one of the new Spiderman tables and I think that's what I want to play the most.

I only have the money to deal in older tables but I'm super happy these are going to be at the house.

Shaneus

Damnit, I hate that the only way to get really good at games is to own them, and the only way to own them is to either be really rich or know someone who can afford them.

Congrats on getting them in your house though! I'd love to spend a lot of time on GoT, especially the Pro one. Couldn't get enough of it last time I played it.

Vyse24

So later this week I'm gonna be going to this place in Jersey called Yestercades. It lists what pinball games they have in both locations (I'm going to the one in Red Bank) and I'm hoping the list is still the same, since it hasn't been updated in nearly a year. Would love to play some SF2 and SMB.

http://yestercades.com/games

So later this week I'm gonna be going to this place in Jersey called Yestercades. It lists what pinball games they have in both locations (I'm going to the one in Red Bank) and I'm hoping the list is still the same, since it hasn't been updated in nearly a year. Would love to play some SF2 and SMB.

http://yestercades.com/games

Damn Baby Pacman.

Talk about an unrewardingly difficult pinball game.

They do have Fix It Felix Jr, too, which I also remember being balls-hard.

Pls play the Baywatch pinball and report back k

Vyse24

So went to Yestercades. Couple of notes:
- No Street Fighter 2 machine. Kind of upset about that.
- T2 and Wheel of Fortune were broken, so no plays on those.
- Super Mario was fun to play, though the left flipper would stay up a little longer than it should at times.
- Baywatch also had a left flipper problem, and it was worse. It would slowly move up, then only go down when the ball hit it. Still had some fun with the rest of the table.
- Played the physical versions of Earthshaker and Cyclone. Did pretty good on them. Still play them better on TPA.
- Rollercoaster Tycoon was the table I played best on. Still have little to no interest in the franchise.
- I still suck on The Addams Family.

Velinos

I got to play the Game of Thrones Premium that was put on location recently and I think it may have dethroned Star Trek as my favorite current Stern machine. I really like the blue color theme for the playfield, looks way better than the Pro and LE. I like that the game is beginner friendly having targets on the posts so that even if you have trouble making shots you can still earn some points. This my main issue with Metallica because in that game if you cannot make the shots, then the ball is just bouncing around not earning anything. Actually saw a Metallica go into a ball search once in a recent tournament because the player could not hit anything. Back to GoT Premium, the upper playfield is an interesting break from the action (haven't played the Pro so I cannot compare). The rules are pretty deep, which is good when looking at a game to buy. The only real complaint I could see is that ball times can be pretty long if you are a good player, which didn't affect me since I still suck at pinball. I also wish that the house selection had more of an immediate effect on the game, since the bonus does nothing until you defeat a house.

Also some of the machines local to me have been set up with PayRange. It is a cool piece of functionality that let's you put credits on a machine via an app on your phone that allows you to pay via credit card. I can see this being dangerous since normally my cue to stop playing pinball is when I run out of quarters.

Top Bottom