• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Baron

So now my PS3 Pinball Arcade won't launch, goes to a black screen, and forces me to do a hard system reset. Have tried it 4 times now, same thing every time. Tried running it in every resolution I can, 1080, 720...nothing. Uninstalled and re-downloaded/re-installed, no difference. Black screen, hard reset. I've paid for a game that simply fails to work on every level. Nice, Farsight. Real nice.

As annoying as the table DLC delays have been on the 360...at least the game frickin' works.

adroit

I don't know anything about the PS3 but can you back up your game save, erase it, and let the game create a new save just to see if that fixes the problem? If it does, it means the save file got corrupted somehow (which is a serious bummer, for sure).

Baron

I don't know anything about the PS3 but can you back up your game save, erase it, and let the game create a new save just to see if that fixes the problem? If it does, it means the save file got corrupted somehow (which is a serious bummer, for sure).

I didn't consider trying that, I'll see if that works. If it makes any difference, this issue cropped up pretty much immediately after I d/l and installed my first table DLC.

I haven't played it yet (waiting for kickstarter redemption issues to get cleared up still), but there's a pretty big thread detailing quite the opposite about the tables in TPA, and TZ being a particular offender. It's definitely been tweaked in almost every way to be easier though, I saw someone comment they have put in bumpers that aren't standard to keep the ball from being sent to out lanes, and in general people are getting other near-impossible results time after time in the digital version of it.

The argument is also made that the Pro Mode should perhaps also include a realistic/harder difficulty option, where the tables aren't tweaked to be so forgiving (failing to go up ramps doesn't dump between flippers like on real tables etc). I wouldn't mind seeing the difficulty raised myself, as an option anyway. I understand that a lot of people are happy with place things are currently.

The biggest difference I've noticed is that nudging is generally more useful than on a real table. In the Xbox version, once you get the hang of it you can do some very precise nudges with the analog stick while still keeping movements light enough to avoid setting off the tilt sensor. There's also a certain randomness to ball movement on a physical table that you're not going to get in a simulation like this, so it's easier to predict where the ball will go. I haven't actually played many of these tables in real life so I can't comment much about table-specific difficulty changes.

Is there a bug in the mobile version of Black Hole that allows for those billion point scores? Normally I'd attribute such ridiculously high scores to the fact that that table gives out extra balls like candy, but it seems like all the highest scores for that table are in the mobile version.

J0dy77

Not having much experience with the real TZ table what is everyone's thoughts on how it plays? The table seems brutally hard to me. The outlines are especially brutal. Seems like every time I miss a shot there is a magnet sucking the ball to the right outlane. Which is guaranteed to never stay in play.

I'm getting better at the table just having a much higher learning curve than I did with any other table. It's kind of a good thing now that I think about it.

So now my PS3 Pinball Arcade won't launch, goes to a black screen, and forces me to do a hard system reset. Have tried it 4 times now, same thing every time. Tried running it in every resolution I can, 1080, 720...nothing. Uninstalled and re-downloaded/re-installed, no difference. Black screen, hard reset. I've paid for a game that simply fails to work on every level. Nice, Farsight. Real nice.

As annoying as the table DLC delays have been on the 360...at least the game frickin' works.

So I'm not the only one! I mentioned this problem before in this thread but it was largely ignored. Thankfully I have a Vita, otherwise I wouldn't even be able to play the thing...

Bebpo

Banned

I had that happen for a while. Fixed it by deleting and re-installing, updating and then installing the DLC tables. I think the problem has to do if you have DLC tables installed before/after the game updates itself.

The biggest difference I've noticed is that nudging is generally more useful than on a real table. In the Xbox version, once you get the hang of it you can do some very precise nudges with the analog stick while still keeping movements light enough to avoid setting off the tilt sensor. There's also a certain randomness to ball movement on a physical table that you're not going to get in a simulation like this, so it's easier to predict where the ball will go. I haven't actually played many of these tables in real life so I can't comment much about table-specific difficulty changes.

Yeah the nudging on TOTAN is much more precise than on the actual table.

J0dy77

So I've been absolutely hooked on the Twilight Zone table. The theme, the gameplay, everything is done amazingly well. I cant put it down. Definitely my favorite pinball table, quickly rose to the top. I just had a marathon game and cracked the top 150 for overall score. As soon as this is launched for steam I'm double dipping.

"Don't touch the door! Don't touch the door! Don't touch the door..."

Is there a bug in the mobile version of Black Hole that allows for those billion point scores? Normally I'd attribute such ridiculously high scores to the fact that that table gives out extra balls like candy, but it seems like all the highest scores for that table are in the mobile version.

I forget the details, but I think some of the mobile tables have some glitched/hacked scores at the top of the leaderboards. A billion on Black Hole would probably take like a week of nonstop playing.

adroit

I activated multiball on the Harley Davidson table. Once two balls had drained I could tell something was wrong because the table was still giving me jackpots when I did a loop or ramp. Then when I lost the last ball the table still thought a ball was in play. Calling the attendant didn't work because the table didn't think a ball was stuck ("call canceled"). Sigh. Had to quit the game.

I love this collection (I've bought all the tables on Android) but Farsight has got to fix the bugs.

Got the Star Trek: The Next Generation table email for platform selection and, yet, there is still no date or even rough time-period given for the TZ table now that it's well into December...

Minsc

Gold Member
Got the Star Trek: The Next Generation table email for platform selection and, yet, there is still no date or even rough time-period given for the TZ table now that it's well into December...

For the 360? They're not giving any dates because they can't publish DLC until they get a (new) publisher afaik.

Shaneus

I haven't received an email about ST:TNG yet :/

I'd still love to know what their plans are for people who wanted the PC ports of anything, given that a number would've backed it for TNG (I think it was added later on in the KS for TZ but was mentioned from the start for the STTNG KS).

Remy

Also got the ST:TNG email today - I think it may be by level. I was at the $30 level.

Amusing the survey asked me which platform I wanted my first copy of ST:TNG, my second copy of TZ, and my third copy of TZ.

Even when it comes to surveys, FarSight can't get the bugs out.

Minsc

Gold Member
Also got the ST:TNG email today - I think it may be by level. I was at the $30 level.

Amusing the survey asked me which platform I wanted my first copy of ST:TNG, my second copy of TZ, and my third copy of TZ.

Even when it comes to surveys, FarSight can't get the bugs out.

Actually, that's the correct number of free tables, they raised it in TNG:

Pledge $30 or more
Everything above PLUS an additional copy of the table for the platform of your choice (for a total of three) AND an exclusive Star Trek: The Next Generation edition virtual pinball (which can be used on any of the tables in the Pinball Arcade!)

Shaneus

I think he's pointing out the fact that they asked him about his first copy of TNG, but second and third copies of Twilight Zone.

Minsc

Gold Member
I think he's pointing out the fact that they asked him about his first copy of TNG, but second and third copies of Twilight Zone.

Oh, right... well then lol! I did think it was weird that the same amount of money got you 3 tables in TNG but only two in the TZ kickstarter back when I backed the TNG one, didn't complain about the extra table, but with how buggy redemption on iOS has been (and the complete lack of redemption for PC and 360), I'd have been better off not backing at all after funding was met and just paying the price at release.

jgkspsx

Got my TNG choice email. Boy, I wish I could choose to get anything new on 360.

I activated multiball on the Harley Davidson table. Once two balls had drained I could tell something was wrong because the table was still giving me jackpots when I did a loop or ramp. Then when I lost the last ball the table still thought a ball was in play. Calling the attendant didn't work because the table didn't think a ball was stuck ("call canceled"). Sigh. Had to quit the game.
This happened to me in real life, so... emulation is working right? (I guess technically it was the Sega version)

Shaneus

I have to decide which platform I want the operator's menu on. I'm strongly thinking Windows but then, I also use the iOS version more than any other... hmmm.

It was also a struggle to decide which FOUR platforms I wanted the table on, ahahaha

Baron

Okay, I got my PS3 Pinball Arcade running again, finally. I don't know what happened, but after one more delete/redownload/install, it now works.

Moving on - are there any issues with any of the tables on the Vita? I am about to dive in and buy several packs, but I thought I read somewhere that Black Knight on Vita was riddled with slowdown? Is that true?

Baron

I hate bumping threads where I was the last post.

But is there any word yet on when Twilight Zone is coming out on any systems other than iOS or Android? I feel like it's a bit of a slap in the face that all the tables come to the actual game systems dead last and always come to the damn cell phones first.

jvm

Gamasutra.

But is there any word yet on when Twilight Zone is coming out on any systems other than iOS or Android? I feel like it's a bit of a slap in the face that all the tables come to the actual game systems dead last and always come to the damn cell phones first.
Haven't heard, but you're not alone. I buy every pack on PS3/PSV and I am waiting impatiently for the chance to play TZ & TNG on my preferred platforms.

:(

Minsc

Gold Member

This is generally one of the more up to date places for that sort of info, just scroll down a tiny bit and read about the particular table packs:

Premium Table Add-On #1 Release Dates And Time Frames : The Twilight Zone is AVAILABLE NOW! on Android, iOS and Mac. It should also be available on Kindle Fire, PS3 (NA/EU) and PS Vita (NA/EU) soon. Xbox 360 release time frame TBD.

Premium Table Add-On #2 Release Dates And Time Frames : Star Trek : The Next Generation should be available on Android, iOS and Mac by the end of December and Kindle Fire, PS3 (NA/EU) and PS Vita (NA/EU) by mid-late January. Xbox 360 release time frame TBD.

Approval is much less painful and also much faster on mobile/tablet platforms, so they tend to release first.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
FYI, I believe it was said on Facebook that Twilight Zone for PS3 was looking pushed back to January or such now...

... I just gave up and bought TZ for Android to play on my Nexus 7. I just want to play the damn table -_-

Minsc

Gold Member
Pretty large-sized update posted in that pinballarcadeforum thread:

UPDATE Here are some news tidbits and updated information released within the last week.

• Mac Version 1.0.8 featuring optimizations for older machines and bug fixes is AVAILABLE NOW!

• For those still having trouble claiming their Twilight Zone table Kickstarter reward on Mac, please send your FarSight login account information to support@pinballarcade.com.

• Fixes for end of game bug on Scared Stiff and a bug that does not allow Kickstarter backers to see both their previously purchased tables and The Twilight Zone table simultaneously will be included in the next iOS update which should be available by the end of December.

• FarSight is hoping to include a brand new UI in the next Android, iOS and Mac updates. A brand new UI for Kindle Fire, PS3 (NA/EU) and PS Vita (NA/EU) should follow soon after.

• The next Kindle Fire update featuring The Twilight Zone should be available this week.

• The Twilight Zone and Table Pack #7 (Scared Stiff and Big Shot) are currently in submission with SCEA and SCEE and awaiting approval.

• There are many fixes and improvements for previous tables included in the upcoming PS3/PS Vita (NA/EU) Title Update which includes the assets for The Twilight Zone and Table Pack #7 (Scared Stiff and Big Shot).

• The Twilight Zone and Table Pack #7 (Scared Stiff and Big Shot) should be available on PS3 (NA/EU) and PS Vita (NA/EU) in early January and Star Trek : The Next Generation in early February.

• FarSight is looking to submit Pro Packs to SCEA and SCEE as soon as they have them ready.

• FarSight is looking to add an option to toggle the 2-stage flipper feature on/off in the near future.

• FarSight is looking to add an option to give the user the choice of downloading all updated tables at once or one at a time in the near future.

• The Xbox 360 publisher issue is currently in the process of being resolved and FarSight hopes to submit new content, improvements and fixes to Microsoft as soon as possible.

• FarSight is still working hard on the Wii U version and is looking to submit it to Nintendo and release it as soon as possible.

• The Pinball Arcade is currently sitting at #85 on Steam's Greenlight Top 100.

Shaneus

New UI!

But it's at #86 on the Steam Greenlight list? It's not going to appear on Steam via Greenlight, I can guarantee you of that (unless their rules change or a wildcard appearance is granted). I do hope FS can see that and are still working out other ways of having it appear for sale. All the people who would have voted already have so there's not going to be an influx to boost it 60+ spots. Not ever.

Or just self-publish and include some generic DRM, for fuck's sake. If it's ready, find a way to get it out there rather than just hope this one and only avenue (which could just as easily have not existed at all) pulls through.

No Good Gofers' default top 5 seems arbitrarily high. I only barely beat the top score after completing 23 holes across like 10 extra balls.

Finally cracked it with 208 mil and got 67th overall/2nd weekly on the PS3 leaderboards though.

I'd avoided Ripley's until recently because I didn't feel like learning the rules and I wasn't a fan of the IP it was based on. Getting back to it, now that I understand the rules... that is a ridiculously difficult table :p

Shaneus

Still feels too cluttered and random to me, though. There's just so much shit packed into the top quarter/third that it's just too busy. I dunno.

The Wii U version is only going to launch with the default tables just to drive me crazy isn't it? I want to buy all these table packs. Last pack I bought was the one with Monster Bash in it (on 360). I am fully prepared to drop money on every pack for the Wii U version (well apart from TZ and ST:TNG which I'm getting through Kickstarter).

There's no way they'll have all the tables tested and working though any time soon for Wii U.

depths20XX

Okay, I got my PS3 Pinball Arcade running again, finally. I don't know what happened, but after one more delete/redownload/install, it now works.

Moving on - are there any issues with any of the tables on the Vita? I am about to dive in and buy several packs, but I thought I read somewhere that Black Knight on Vita was riddled with slowdown? Is that true?

Black Knight on Vita does have pretty bad slowdown and also looks like shit for some reason. I barely played it because of that.

Just thought I'd share this with you guys. I officially hate Valve now. I can't believe that they're going to work with the War Z guys to help them get a more finished version of the game on the service after all the shit they've pulled.

And they still won't put Pinball Arcade onto Steam.

Eurgh. EURGH.

Shaneus

Just thought I'd share this with you guys. I officially hate Valve now. I can't believe that they're going to work with the War Z guys to help them get a more finished version of the game on the service after all the shit they've pulled.

Eurgh. EURGH.
This is the first fucking thing I thought of as well. They'll work with them but not do shit for games like Pinball Arcade unless it has the right amount of "votes".

Fuck that shit.

blurrygil

Eurgh. EURGH.

Did you see my post in the War Z thread...? lol

Remy

Here's the iOS update notes:

New Main Menu, Star Trek: The Next Generation Pinball Table and Pro Menus for Star Trek and Medieval Madness.

Digging in now. New interface is...weird. Landscape only until you're in the tables. Looks like the iOS Kickstarter bug may be gone at last, but you need to go between "New Tables" and "My Tables" to activate them all again.

No tables redownloaded. Hope this doesn't mean CV is still fucked up.

Screenshots! Warning, these may blow your eyes out with the mishmash of retina and non-retina assets:

lZp0U.jpg

B6yQd.jpg

Shaneus

So the new menu is landscape only until you fire up the table? What the fuck were they thinking?

Hope you haven't got your iPad in any kind of dock that essentially requires portrait mode, like this guy:
UrgGv.jpg

(awesome idea BTW, kinda makes me regret getting the "Core" iCade. But then I remember just how portable the regular iCade isn't.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I can't seem to get Star Trek to go back into portrait when I start it up. hm

Landscape doesn't belong anywhere in a pinball game anyway. Especially on a platform where it can be easily avoided.

Shaneus

Anyone able to redeem TNG as a Kickstarter backer? I'm sticking to free because there's no way I'm paying more than what I donated, but they really need to have this shit sorted. And the landscape-only thing is just fucking bizarre.

Minsc

Gold Member
Anyone able to redeem TNG as a Kickstarter backer? I'm sticking to free because there's no way I'm paying more than what I donated, but they really need to have this shit sorted. And the landscape-only thing is just fucking bizarre.

They're supposedly working on a portrait orientation for the UI in the next release. Can't say I'm fond of the redo, don't like the way scrolls and it's actually harder for me to find tables now I think.

TNG worked for me along with TZ after I logged out and back in to the Farsight account thing... but then all my other tables were not active again... so I restored a different table and lost TZ & TNG. Seems they still don't have it working. I'm half tempted to just buy the tables so the thing works like normal at this point.

Shaneus

I ended up getting it working, but it was a bit of a mess around.

And yeah, I'm REALLY not a fan of the new menus at all. From what I can tell you can only scroll one table at a time in some parts, but scroll multiples in others (or something like that) and it's ability to "lock" onto a menu item is far less reliable. Never mind the fact that even though it's landscape, it's only one orientation of it... it won't rotate the other way. The GUI elements as well are absolutely horrible... it looks like they've just hired the same guy who does all the menus for cheap Chinese DVD/media players:
GInMj.jpg

They have to be better than this... they're a company that can create an engine and convert pinball tables into digital form. Surely they can do a better UI. Hell, there are people on the PAF forum practically throwing themselves at FarSight to work on the UI.

But man, TNG itself... it's every bit as good as I remember it (as little as I played as a kid). Such a great game with fantastic, nigh-on epic music and custom voices from pretty much everyone on the show. You can tell it was a real labour of love, probably more than any other table out there. At least, more than immediately spring to mind. Ritchie is amazing for having pulled it off. To think it was almost going to be Under Siege!

Top Bottom