• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Pinball Arcade |OT| play them all from Soho to Brighton

Shaneus

Just bought the Vita version this week - does the game not support custom soundtracks? When I start the game with music playing it pauses the music playback.

I may be ignorant of what to do, as I've only had my Vita for a week. I still haven't figured out half the functions on the thing.
Certainly doesn't on iOS. Frustrating to all hell.

Wonko_C

Just bought the Vita version this week - does the game not support custom soundtracks? When I start the game with music playing it pauses the music playback.

I may be ignorant of what to do, as I've only had my Vita for a week. I still haven't figured out half the functions on the thing.

The game doesn't support custom soundtracks.

I'm thinking about getting a capture card so I could show how to do some techniques in this game. Would anyone be interested in that? Anything you would want to see?

TZ will probably hit early December (being that there's just a few days left in the month) with STTNG early january (due to losing days around the holidays - app store review process closes etc) is my guess. Table pack 8 probably February then.

I find it more than just a little absurd that they haven't made an official announcement on the date for TZ with this being the final day of November, the stated release month. WTF is going on with those guys that they cannot issue some news that goes outside of reading through their forum discussions?

Baron

The game doesn't support custom soundtracks.

Well, that sucks. Guess I'll make do with listening to an ipod or something while playing. Maybe we can convince Farsight to change that in an update. Chances are said update would break something else, though, heh.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I find it more than just a little absurd that they haven't made an official announcement on the date for TZ with this being the final day of November, the stated release month. WTF is going on with those guys that they cannot issue some news that goes outside of reading through their forum discussions?
I get where you're coming from, but the store approval process on just about every platform seems so dysfunctional, that I can understand not wanting to make a promise only to have it yanked away at the last moment by Microsoft, Apple, Google, SCEA/SCEE, etc.

Shaneus

Fucking, fucking FUCK.

There's no way some of those games could have gotten greenlit over Pinball Arcade. Dragons Lair? Fucking REALLY?!?

And Euro Truck Simulator 2? You have to be fucking kidding me.

FUCK. That is so fucking frustrating. ugh

Oh well, at least Twilight Zone is out! And Medieval Madness has physics improvements. Fucking finally.

Edit: They mention on the update page that it contains physics fixes for Black Hole and Medieval Madness, but flicking through I can see there's updates for Theatre of Magic as well (though that could be for tournament play, which has been officially added to Scared Stiff as well). Hanging to try the MM update though, because I just tried Black Hole and the ball actually feels good and solid and weighty. At least, on my 4S (I'll test on my gen 3 iPad as well, maybe they've improved post-proc performance as well).

Oh, we have custom balls as well. Whoopty-doo.

Edit #2: MM feels fucking glorious. The ball is weighty and has been slowed on the ramps, and I'm pretty sure the flippers have been moved that little bit closer together because on my first ball, didn't get a single SDTM and actually did as well as I would have (roughly) on a physical table. Yay! Just lit trolls as well, and managed to hit them all without the ball going down the middle AT ALL. Fucking best update ever... the one I've been waiting for.

adroit

On Android, why does the Initial Table Pack cost $0.03 more than buying the tables individually? Is there any advantage to buying the pack? I'm thinking of skipping Black Hole due to severe frame rate issues on my Nexus 7. I wonder why this table's performance suffers compared to the other tables.

Arabian $0.99
Ripley's $3.99
Black Hole $1.99
Theater $2.99
Total $9.96
Pack $9.99

Shaneus

I believe that might be due to the emulation of Black Hole being less refined(?) than the others. Could be other things, but from what I remember that was one of the last game boards they emulated (other than the one used in Taxi).

Remy

Edit #2: MM feels fucking glorious. The ball is weighty and has been slowed on the ramps, and I'm pretty sure the flippers have been moved that little bit closer together because on my first ball, didn't get a single SDTM and actually did as well as I would have (roughly) on a physical table. Yay! Just lit trolls as well, and managed to hit them all without the ball going down the middle AT ALL. Fucking best update ever... the one I've been waiting for.

TOM felt a lot better to me as well - only issue I have with the update so far is that it doesn't look like CV got an update and I still get lock issues every time I play it.

Standard Goals on TZ are remarkably easy, by the way.

From the latest Farsight newsletter:

----------------------------

Nintendo Wii-U Update

Pinball Arcade for the Wii-U is now in Beta testing! The Wii-U is going to be a great platform to get your pinball fix- the DMD shows on the GamePad screen, and the lower triggers on the GamePad feel just right for controlling the flippers!

-----------------------------

sounds so fucking awesome. That will speed up my wii-u purchase I guess. I'm sick and tired of waiting for tables to release on the xbox360. I like the sound of the DMD being on the gamepad screen too!

Shaneus

TOM felt a lot better to me as well - only issue I have with the update so far is that it doesn't look like CV got an update and I still get lock issues every time I play it.

Standard Goals on TZ are remarkably easy, by the way.
Haven't given ToM a good bash, but I shall soon. I like how it's easy to tell which table needs an update because the preview music doesn't play :)

BTW I think I've noticed a bug with the tournament mode as well... it feels like it's using the non-updated Black Hole table in that mode when it should be using the new one (I'd have thought).

Glad to report that it looks like post-processing on the iPad 3 is a heck of a lot better, too. Far from perfect (or even running at a flat 30fps) but it's way better than before.

adroit

Just for the heck of it I bought the TotAN "pro" menu. I was disappointed to see that it only accumulates stats (number of games played, average time per ball, etc.) when the operator mode is enabled. If you disable the operator mode, the stats are frozen. Lame. Since I want to play the table in default mode 99% of the time, it means I won't have stats for 99% of the games I play.

Everyone else probably already knows this. I should have done more research. No more "pro" menu purchases for me.

Another piece of trivia: The operator menu thinks today is Nov 1 2012, not Dec 1.

Shaneus

Just for the heck of it I bought the TotAN "pro" menu. I was disappointed to see that it only accumulates stats (number of games played, average time per ball, etc.) when the operator mode is enabled. If you disable the operator mode, the stats are frozen. Lame. Since I want to play the table in default mode 99% of the time, it means I won't have stats for 99% of the games I play.

Everyone else probably already knows this. I should have done more research. No more "pro" menu purchases for me.

Another piece of trivia: The operator menu thinks today is Nov 1 2012, not Dec 1.
I actually had no idea about that operator menu. What's the point of tracking stats if you can't track stats when you're setting a highscore? (if I'm correct, you can't log a high score under operator mode, can you?)

Nintendo Wii-U Update

Pinball Arcade for the Wii-U is now in Beta testing! The Wii-U is going to be a great platform to get your pinball fix- the DMD shows on the GamePad screen, and the lower triggers on the GamePad feel just right for controlling the flippers!

sounds so fucking awesome. That will speed up my wii-u purchase I guess. I'm sick and tired of waiting for tables to release on the xbox360. I like the sound of the DMD being on the gamepad screen too!
If they can nail 60fps locked with as fast and consistent a response time as the X360 version, at 1080p native? I won't have any choice but to move up and out of the PS3/X360 pit of second class citizenry. This is, assuming that they will patch without delay and release their tables just as fast as iOS/Android gets them, even if it's still 720p native with what I assume is 1080p upscale ala X360. As much as I bitch about these guys, they've already got me spending quite a bit to buy two sets of tables available for MS' and Sony's machines. Why not spend more on Ninty's side of the fence?

*sigh*

Shaneus

If they can nail 60fps locked with as fast and consistent a response time as the X360 version, at 1080p native? I won't have any choice but to move up and out of the PS3/X360 pit of second class citizenry. This is, assuming that they will patch without delay and release their tables just as fast as iOS/Android gets them, even if it's still 720p native with what I assume is 1080p upscale ala X360. As much as I bitch about these guys, they've already got me spending quite a bit to buy two sets of tables available for MS' and Sony's machines. Why not spend more on Ninty's side of the fence?

*sigh*
That's a pretty big assumption you're making re: patching. I've not seen anything thus far that indicates patching/updates will be any quicker on Wii U than they are for iOS or 360 or PS3.

galvatron

I'm thinking about getting a capture card so I could show how to do some techniques in this game. Would anyone be interested in that? Anything you would want to see?

Yes please!

Passing and capturing all of the balls during multiball would be the most interesting scenario for me. I play way too sloppily when there's time pressure on hitting a target. Nudging is also pretty low percentage for me.

That's a pretty big assumption you're making re: patching. I've not seen anything thus far that indicates patching/updates will be any quicker on Wii U than they are for iOS or 360 or PS3.

Well, I'm making that assumption based on some Wii U developer quotes that state there is no or little cost to patches and more freedom in DLC/e-shop release timing as well as control over sales price and temp sales, more similar to Steam or iOS/Android.

Here's a recent one posted at Develop:

Frozenbyte VP Joel Kinnunen told Develop that devs could currently update their titles for free, and was combined with a relatively quick and easy certification process, similar to that of PC games.
He also said that certification was much faster than on Xbox 360 and PS3, which have had well-documented issues relating to lengthy approval processes and expensive update costs.
“There's still a certification process in most cases but it's much faster than on the other consoles, and the financial burden is basically non-existent,” said Kinnunen.

Been thinking about jumping back into this for the first time since launch. My platform is 360. What are a few of the consensus best available so far? My fave of the original 4 was TOTAN.

adroit

Doh, I think I just figured this out. The Java runtime (Calendar, etc.) uses 0 for January, 1 for February, ... and 11 for December. If the emulator expects December to be 12, the code which initializes it needs to add one to the month number it gets from the Java runtime.

Been thinking about jumping back into this for the first time since launch. My platform is 360. What are a few of the consensus best available so far? My fave of the original 4 was TOTAN.
There are only three (Medieval Madness/Bride of Pinbot, Cirqus Voltaire/Funhouse, Gorgar/Monster Bash) of seven total DLC packs currently available for the X360 version of PA, though there's a possibility that it will be caught up with the remaining three dual-packs and the single seventh DLC, Twilight Zone, by end of year thanks to the impending release of that single, more expensive table and the update that will supposedly cover all of them together under a single certification cycle.

For the three first DLC packs, I would prioritize Funhouse/Cirqus Voltaire, personally, if it's just one you're willing to pick up. If two, I'd go with Gorgar/Monster Bash, in addition. Medieval Madness/Bride of Pinbot is nice, but BoP is the single-weakest (though not terrible) DLC table of the currently available X360 ones, IMO. Just to state clearly, though, I think they're all worth picking up, if only because you get at least one amazing table with each dual pack.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ok I am back into this now that they've released my favorite table OF ALL-TIME. Too bad the focus is so much on mobile as I really enjoyed playing their original title on 360, but I'll get my Farsight Pinball where I can get it I suppose. The IAPs are really clunkily handled. Wish I could just Buy All. So does anyone use post-processing? I "only" have an iPad 3 so maybe I shouldn't. Game looks nice so far.

Shaneus

Doh, I think I just figured this out. The Java runtime (Calendar, etc.) uses 0 for January, 1 for February, ... and 11 for December. If the emulator expects December to be 12, the code which initializes it needs to add one to the month number it gets from the Java runtime.
Did you get the op menu for TotAN while it was on sale? I saw that it's only $2. I might grab it anyway, sling the boys some money and see what the fuss is about.

Also, it was interesting reading from the guys that because of the Kickstarter, not only could they get the license for TZ, they were able to charge only $5 and not $10 like originally planned. Guess that means they're not in any financial trouble :)

PS. Thanks for that link, Hedgehog. Guess that means Nintendo are doing one good thing re: their online!

jgkspsx

360 updates are coming this year? Hallelujah. I was afraid it might be next year.

Oh, wait, this IS TPA we're talking about. May, then ;)

Shaneus

Yup, I got it for the sale price. Thrifty way to learn that I don't need to buy any more of the pro menus.
Yeah, I bought it as well... such a wasted opportunity. The tips aren't anything I couldn't find via a quick web search, the table navigation is horrid (I thought they'd offer a balls-eye view, but it's only a flyover that you can zoom in on, with the perspective the same?!?) and the ball placement is fiddly at best.

Agreed, was $2 to know that I'll never need to buy it again.

Minsc

Gold Member
Overdue for some positive negative PC news...

We've had a new batch of PC games greenlit, including such great games everyone's dying to play like Dragon's Lair and a handful of other games that aren't even close to being released, but hey, who really cares if the game they're voting for is even available for purchase.

What's important is The Pinball Arcade, which was 92 in queue last month, is now 13 games closer right? Well, not really. We've gone backwards actually! According to the newsletter sent out, we dropped 4 spots to #96 in the queue, despite 13 new games being approved (which should have put us at a spot in the 70s). So at this rate, that means the Steam release should be... never!

Pack your bags and hope for Origin I think, Steam's not happening unless Valve fixes the greenlight process.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Few questions for the pros. I am coming from the X-Box disc version of this, which I loved, and I'm quite digging this iPad implementation. It's better than I thought and miles ahead of any other pinball series (expected).

-Post-processing: Do you ever use it? It seems to choke up my iPad 3 a decent amount so I've stayed away.

-How do you hold the iPad? At this rate I'm going to get bruises from the iPad corners digging into my palms.

-How do you handle nudge? This was absolutely crucial for me in the xbox version but I cannot reliably do it here. Swipe seems like it could work but I don't know how it does. I have shake but it's rough on the hands and hard to use since you have to actually put some decent force into it. Top of screen seems like a non-starter to me.

adroit

How do you handle nudge?
I'm definitely not a pro. And I'm using a Nexus 7, not an iPad.

At least on my device, touching anywhere on the sides in the upper half of the display does a nudge. So I put my thumbs just below the half-way point for flipping and then reach up into the upper half to nudge. It's nowhere near as easy to nudge as it was on the Wii (flick the remote or nunchuk). But I save a ball every now and then.

I tried using motion nudging but it's way, way, way too sensitive on my Nexus 7. I was nudging the table every time I inhaled or exhaled.

Shaneus

Overdue for some positive negative PC news...

We've had a new batch of PC games greenlit, including such great games everyone's dying to play like Dragon's Lair and a handful of other games that aren't even close to being released, but hey, who really cares if the game they're voting for is even available for purchase.

What's important is The Pinball Arcade, which was 92 in queue last month, is now 13 games closer right? Well, not really. We've gone backwards actually! According to the newsletter sent out, we dropped 4 spots to #96 in the queue, despite 13 new games being approved (which should have put us at a spot in the 70s). So at this rate, that means the Steam release should be... never!

Pack your bags and hope for Origin I think, Steam's not happening unless Valve fixes the greenlight process.
Where did you see that they'd dropped... via Farsight themselves or is there an official list of those above it?

Fucking hell. We're never going to see it. Hopefully they're shopping for another publisher and not betting everything on Greenlight.

Minsc

Gold Member
Where did you see that they'd dropped... via Farsight themselves or is there an official list of those above it?

Fucking hell. We're never going to see it. Hopefully they're shopping for another publisher and not betting everything on Greenlight.

They announced it in their Newsletter #9 e-mail, quite sad:

PC - We are at #96 on Steam Greenlight! We need to get to the top 20 to be published! Tell your friends, family, dentist, pediatrist, grocer etc. to please vote for us at:

Voting clearly isn't going to work for them. Nor do they need to get in the top 20, they need to get in the top 13 or so it seems.

They announced it in their Newsletter #9 e-mail, quite sad:

Voting clearly isn't going to work for them. Nor do they need to get in the top 20, they need to get in the top 13 or so it seems.

They really just need to give up on Steam at this point and try GOG or something else.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
So, Twilight Zone really does deliver on the hype (I'd never played the physical table before). I've only played 5 or so rounds but I can already tell it's gonna be near the top of my personal ranking.

Shaneus

They really just need to give up on Steam at this point and try GOG or something else.
GOG is out of the question because they don't have DRM. Part of the licensing agreement with the companies was that there'd be copy protection in place.

Definitely looking that way. I still find it rather odd that their last publisher went bust and they haven't been able to find another one since. You'd think it'd fill a gap in someone's portfolio somewhere. At least, someone who wouldn't want some kind of influence over the company a la Activision or EA.

Really surprised Valve hasn't just taken them under their wing. They seem like the sort of company that'd do that sort of thing.

Baron

I'd like to buy my first add-on table pack for the PS3/Vita - can anyone recommend to me what the generally accepted "best first buy" is for PS3? I tend to prefer the older, more sparse tables, like Firepower, Black Knight. But I wanted to try something new, preferably that hasn't been on Williams Hall of Fame before. Is Circus Voltaire any good? Elvira? Monster Bash?

Eventually I'll buy them all, but for now...

edit: I also already bought Medieval Madness/Pin-bot for the 360.

edit 2: Monster Bash seems to be highly regarded - I think I'll get that pack.

Nintendo Wii-U Update

Excellent news. I got two versions of Twilight Zone, and I picked Wii U for one version because why not? Glad to hear they are taking full advantage of the GamePad.

Also, the digital version of the TWZ table is just as evil as the real version. The left bumper has a nasty tenancy to bounce the ball over to the far right out-lane and the table likes to shoot the ball straight down the center gap at high speeds. Definitely an accurate re-creation.

Minsc

Gold Member
Excellent news. I got two versions of Twilight Zone, and I picked Wii U for one version because why not? Glad to hear they are taking full advantage of the GamePad.

Also, the digital version of the TWZ table is just as evil as the real version. The left bumper has a nasty tenancy to bounce the ball over to the far right out-lane and the table likes to shoot the ball straight down the center gap at high speeds. Definitely an accurate re-creation.

I haven't played it yet (waiting for kickstarter redemption issues to get cleared up still), but there's a pretty big thread detailing quite the opposite about the tables in TPA, and TZ being a particular offender. It's definitely been tweaked in almost every way to be easier though, I saw someone comment they have put in bumpers that aren't standard to keep the ball from being sent to out lanes, and in general people are getting other near-impossible results time after time in the digital version of it.

The argument is also made that the Pro Mode should perhaps also include a realistic/harder difficulty option, where the tables aren't tweaked to be so forgiving (failing to go up ramps doesn't dump between flippers like on real tables etc). I wouldn't mind seeing the difficulty raised myself, as an option anyway. I understand that a lot of people are happy with place things are currently.

Shaneus

That's interesting about the difficulty being tweaked. So much for history being preserved or whatever :/

If a game's difficult, make it difficult! It's like they're doing the opposite of what they did with the constant ball-drain issue with Medieval due to the flippers being too far apart. That they've only *just* fixed that is hilarious.

sladeums

"We want our videogame version to play exactly the same as the table played when it was new, so we start with a thorough restoration of the table...
We use the original table as reference when doing this to ensure accuracy...
The end result of this painstaking process is an exact digital recreation of the pinball table that you can play on your handheld device or in your living room."

ahem
coughbullshitcough

excuse me.
carry on.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Love this game so much. Really enjoy all the tables and just the feel of the game. One thing that's a bummer that wasn't in their xbox game is the bugginess. I haven't completed a single game of either Elvira title in five tries for various bug-related reasons, and now I'm stuck in No Good Gofers after a ball drain.

Kind of strange about them tweaking the tables to ease them up a bit but I'm not a hardcore enough IRL pinball player to care. They all feel awesome and fun to me minus the bugs.

Shaneus

Is there a comprehensive list on that thread that someone could copypasta here for me to look at? I'm curious to see exactly what they've changed, given that I've never played the original table before.

Almost makes you wonder whether they've done that sort of thing with the other tables.

Minsc

Gold Member
Is there a comprehensive list on that thread that someone could copypasta here for me to look at? I'm curious to see exactly what they've changed, given that I've never played the original table before.

Almost makes you wonder whether they've done that sort of thing with the other tables.

Your best bet is probably asking in that particular thread, never seen a straight out list. I don't think it's generally a big deal, just minor things for the most part it sounds like (like helping the ball along a path or avoiding being lost), with the exception of Twilight Zone and perhaps one or two others that got really whacked with the easy button. Remember these are people who've spent (and still do spend) countless hours on the machines, so they'll see things differently than someone who's just looking to replay tables they missed out on or remember playing years ago. Maybe even Parallax Scroll has thoughts on the issue, being he's top in so many leaderboards, but I'm not surprised some concessions are made to have a "more enjoyable" experience.

Nintendo Wii-U Update

and we're getting Zen Pinball 2 as well, with simultaneous two player? or? something anyway.

I hope it comes out really soon, because I miss this game so much, and it's what I'm getting my Kickstarter tables on.

Shaneus

Your best bet is probably asking in that particular thread, never seen a straight out list. I don't think it's generally a big deal, just minor things for the most part it sounds like (like helping the ball along a path or avoiding being lost), with the exception of Twilight Zone and perhaps one or two others that got really whacked with the easy button. Remember these are people who've spent (and still do spend) countless hours on the machines, so they'll see things differently than someone who's just looking to replay tables they missed out on or remember playing years ago. Maybe even Parallax Scroll has thoughts on the issue, being he's top in so many leaderboards, but I'm not surprised some concessions are made to have a "more enjoyable" experience.
Yeah, I'll leave any conclusions undrawn until I get to read that thread.

On another note, I think I'm going to get a little bit creative, and buy one of these:
Vdj4h.jpg

And do this mod to it. Possibly even buy one of these so I essentially have a universal arcade-style joystick that works with *everything* and can play pinball games with the best (and cheapest) controller possible.

BTW I'm glad that Wii U has gone into beta testing while we still don't know jack about the PC port :/

Top Bottom