• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Republican National Convention OT |2016|: Behold a Pale Horse With No Name

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmood88

Every time I see a large gathering of republicans, I wonder how any non-white person could be in the room without wanting to fight everyone cheering for that racist bullshit.

CnwlOXmWgAEswum.jpg

They have tweets showing around the stadium. They're showing parody accounts.

Oh my lol. @KazHiraiCEO needs to make one and get something up there.

jbug617

Banned
Full list in order of appearance:

House Speaker Paul Ryan

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell

UFC president Dana White

Businessman Andy Wist

Wisconsin Senator Ron Johnson

Professional golfer Natalie Gulbis

House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie

Tiffany Trump

Donald Trump Jr.

Dr. Ben Carson

Businessman Phil Ruffin

General manager of Trump Winery Kerry Woolard

Michelle Van Etten of Women in Business for Trump

Hoo boy.

No Hispanic speakers yet? Kind of shocking since he would need their vote.

Hazzuh

This "Losing/Winning" rhetoric is Trump innovation right? I know the message is pretty much the same as always but I feel like they don't normally talk as much about winning etc?

Primarily, the objective of the conventions is to make pitches to voters outside the established base of the candidate. Uniting the base is more of a secondary objective of the conventions, and of yesterday's events, I would say this was actually unsuccessful because of how the rules and voting segment played out.

The speeches made and stories shared were not speeches promoting particular policies but instead were fraught with cultural grievances. Those aren't speeches or speakers that can help Trump engage and win the voters he needs to beat Hillary.

I think what you also have to consider is less how the full convention looks and more as to what filters out to the general public via the media. The top stories are about the disunity and disorder within the party, as well as Melania Trump's plagiarized speech lines. What that looks like to a moderate is disarray and poor leadership, which is not a good look for Trump or his campaign.

That's not to say it's a full-on disaster. I can think of a lot of things that could make it worse.

The ruckus surrounding the break away delegates will probably have no impact on anything. They are a minority and republican voters are pissed they were trying to vote differently from what the majority of the party stand for. The Melania thing will also probably not do anything to dissuade republican/trump supporters. It is silly, but not nearly as damaging as the FBI saying Hillary was not truthful on the servers and shit.

And truly, show me the voter that has not already made up her/his mind? I do not live in the US, but I cannot believe many people are unsure of who Trump or Hillary is by now. Making sure your potential voters show up will make or break the result.

Of course, I could be wrong. But this is how I see it.

Uh, a large part of the purpose of the national conventions is to showcase the party's platform and candidate and show undecideds why they should vote for them. This is not just to stir up the base.

And if you think day 1 accomplished that, I've got a bridge to sell you...

Not interested in that bridge (give me a wall, and we can talk), but I thought day 1 was pretty good for the base. According to people smarter than me, conventions rarely do anything for poll numbers.

I listen to NPR Politics every week, and I base my view primarily from what I hear from them. Don´t shoot the messenger :p

Xe4

Banned
I can't believe building a wall is now somehow popular with these guys. Wasn't it ridiculous to suggest in November?

The ruckus surrounding the break away delegates will probably have no impact on anything. They are a minority and republican voters are pissed they were trying to vote differently from what the majority of the party stand for. The Melania thing will also probably not do anything to dissuade republican/trump supporters. It is silly, but not nearly as damaging as the FBI saying Hillary was not truthful on the servers and shit.

And truly, show me the voter that has not already made up her/his mind? I do not live in the US, but I cannot believe many people are unsure of who Trump or Hillary is by now. Making sure your potential voters show up will make or break the result.

Of course, I could be wrong. But this is how I see it.

Not interested in that bridge (give me a wall, and we can talk), but I thought day 1 was pretty good for the base. According to people smarter than me, conventions rarely do anything for poll numbers.

I listen to NPR Politics every week, and I base my view primarily from what I hear from them. Don´t shoot the messenger :p

There can actually be a large convention bump. It's usually when a lot of people check in on the election.

Had to look up where in NY he was from, was unsurprised to see he was from a town in Upstate that isn't Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, or Syracuse.

Also, lol, "We're gonna build that wall!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom