• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ringer |OT| Formerly Known as Binge Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
the Ringer Basketball pod has really grown on me. Vernon is a decent host, the problem for him is that it becomes painfully apparent that ESPN has all the good basketball analysts and reporters locked up who used to be so good with Bill like Stein and Lowe. Bucher is no longer with ESPN I'm surprised Bill or Vernon haven't had him on.

LionPride

Banned
the Ringer Basketball pod has really grown on me. Vernon is a decent host, the problem for him is that it becomes painfully apparent that ESPN has all the good basketball analysts and reporters locked up who used to be so good with Bill like Stein and Lowe. Bucher is no longer with ESPN I'm surprised Bill or Vernon haven't had him on.

I'm so used to Vern cause he was a sport host down here before his contract wasn't renewed. Still haven't listened to his pod because I know what I'd be getting

Gigglepoo

Yeah, one of a few reasons The Lowe Post is still the best. The Ringer guy Vernon has on once a week knows his stuff. And Vernon is a good interviewer so even that Brewer conversion was pretty fun.

Chichikov

Yeah, the level of analysis is the reason why I usually skip this podcast.
It's well done and the people there are good on the microphone and comfortable with the format, but the level of insight is that of normal NBA fans talking at a bar.
Westbrook plays with high intensity.
Kawhi Leonard doesn't talk and sometime looks like Scottie Pippen out there.
Isiah Thomas is having a shockingly good season.
LeBron James is blah blah blah.

I'm not saying everything needs to be super deep and technical, but tell me something I don't know (and probably already bored my friends with).

legend166

Are ESPN personalities allowed back on the podcasts now? Jacoby is on the latest Bachelor Party.

I need a Simmons podcast with Lowe.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Lombardi is the definition of "utter failure at his job but I have a circlejerky famous friend who I can spout more bullshit with". It's pretty sad that anyone listens to him - it cannot be understated how bad of a NFL executive that man was.

jtb

Banned
Lombardi is dull. as a former NFL executive, rather than providing behind-the-curtain insight, he just rehashes the same old cliches. if anything, it just reinforces how obscenely conservative NFL coaches and executives are.

did Bill really need to hire another one of his friends? could the man be any more self-indulgent?

Gigglepoo

Lombardi would be infinitely better without his schticks. Cheesecake menu, Godfather references, etc just distract from anything smart he has to say.

Cagey

Banned
He is definitely smart, but all we need is another patriots guy to agree with everything Bill says.
He's a multiple time failed NFL executive who now serves as a Patriot mouthpiece. Anything "smart" he says is a generality made after the fact and gets muffled because he talks with Belichick's cock deep in his mouth.

The podcast with Bill and Lombardi is the worst of his feed each week because there's cheap veneer of authority given to the podcast when Lombardi's on. At least the other episodes with Bill's friends don't pretend to be more than they are.

Lunar FC

He's a multiple time failed NFL executive who now serves as a Patriot mouthpiece. Anything "smart" he says is a generality made after the fact and gets muffled because he talks with Belichick's cock deep in his mouth.

The podcast with Bill and Lombardi is the worst of his feed each week because there's cheap veneer of authority given to the podcast when Lombardi's on. At least the other episodes with Bill's friends don't pretend to be more than they are.

Never said he was better or more interesting than Sal or House.

Never said he was better or more interesting than Sal or House.

Not gonna say one is better than the other either, but at least Lombardi doesn't go on and on about Vegas spreads and gambling. Sometimes it seems like Simmons is only interested for the betting action.

Quixzlizx

I must be in the minority that doesn't like listening Lombardi. Whenever he's on with Bill it's a Belicheck circle jerk.

I can't stand him. I can only hope he's intentionally dumbing himself down for the "casuals," because I feel like I could be the Zach Lowe of football compared to him.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Lombardi can be OK when he's not pandering to Simmons with the Cheesecake-Factory nonsense or the eye-roll-inducing "compare the playoff team to Wire characters" Simmons circa 2001 stuff.

Actually my most-hated little sub-segment is still when House spouts spouts off absurd super-involved boring gambling "angles" like he's reading the free tip of the week directly from some spam gambling-tipsheet email. Sal & Bill gambling talk is exactly at the level where I like at. And actually Sal is pretty much the only guest I still get excited about on the pod. Not that it's terrible or anything but I just feel like everyone else has fallen off a level or two and there aren't even that many different people on anymore. Though I guess he did have Mal on and that was pretty good. That Falcons-fan comic was bleh though.

I must be in the minority that doesn't like listening Lombardi. Whenever he's on with Bill it's a Belicheck circle jerk.

I'm not a fan either. I'll usually listen, but I don't find him to be a good listen, and I don't think his football acumen is all that great either. He's knowledgeable to an extent, but his analysis could be much better.

Lombardi can be OK when he's not pandering to Simmons with the Cheesecake-Factory nonsense or the eye-roll-inducing "compare the playoff team to Wire characters" Simmons circa 2001 stuff.

It feels similar to local sports radio, when the weekly call-in guest agrees too much with the host, and you know the guest is just pandering because he wants that weekly paycheck for showing up.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
"The Mailbag: All-Patriots Edition"

Simbo is just taking the piss now right? At this point he could just become one of those Bleacher Report satellite fansites for the Pats.

Boogs31

I couldn't disagree more about Chris Vernon. All of his questions and opinions are real basic stuff. He often seems completely clueless as to what he's talking about. I love the NBA and wanted something to listen to in addition to the Lowe Post but Vernon's show doesn't cut it. If you want an example of his incompetence listen to episode 51 where he's talking the cba with Tim Bontemps. 15:04 to 19:33 he completely misread an article and Bontemps puts him in his place. Will never listen to him again after that.

Credo

"The Mailbag: All-Patriots Edition"

Simbo is just taking the piss now right? At this point he could just become one of those Bleacher Report satellite fansites for the Pats.

The Bill Burr podcast was pretty bad too. At one point, they even mentioned Belichick's attractiveness, and when Burr said something like, "when you look at Belichick early in his career, he was a really good looking guy," Simmons responded with, "I think he's fuckin' handsome now!"

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The Bill Burr podcast was pretty bad too. At one point, they even mentioned Belichick's attractiveness, and when Burr said something like, "when you look at Belichick early in his career, he was a really good looking guy," Simmons responded with, "I think he's fuckin' handsome now!"

Yeah and I'm maybe one of the few who doesn't mind his homerism (which is admitted), but combined with only Boston topics it's really problematic for someone who has a national audience.

I know people are talking about the other Ringer pods too, and it's funny b/c from Simbo pods I get a really strong sense he doesn't even listen to any of them.

jtb

Banned
Yeah and I'm maybe one of the few who doesn't mind his homerism (which is admitted), but combined with only Boston topics it's really problematic for someone who has a national audience.

I know people are talking about the other Ringer pods too, and it's funny b/c from Simbo pods I get a really strong sense he doesn't even listen to any of them.

He definitely doesn't.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
He definitely doesn't.

I've said it before but straight-up since ESPN he's just gotten super-lazy. Probably smart that he doesn't delve too far outside Boston as I doubt he even follows much else closely enough to not sound foolish discussing it. He's even pretty much admitted it too.

ryseing

Since we are on an ostensibly gaming focused forum, can we discuss Achievement Oriented briefly? I like Jason, I like Ben, and the caliber of guests that they've gotten is very impressive considering that The Ringer is hardly a gaming focused site. But something about it is just not doing it for me. I guess it's because that particular market is already so crowded? I have five or six other gaming focused podcasts that I would rather listen to.

Whatever. Bachelor Party is still the GOAT (JACOBY!!!!) and Rodger Sherman has been doing an awesome job with recaps. The Ringer's existence is justified by those two alone.

Fjordson

I couldn't disagree more about Chris Vernon. All of his questions and opinions are real basic stuff. He often seems completely clueless as to what he's talking about. I love the NBA and wanted something to listen to in addition to the Lowe Post but Vernon's show doesn't cut it. If you want an example of his incompetence listen to episode 51 where he's talking the cba with Tim Bontemps. 15:04 to 19:33 he completely misread an article and Bontemps puts him in his place. Will never listen to him again after that.
If you want a good basketball podcast, peep Dunc'd On with Nate Duncan and Dany Leroux. Even better than The Lowe Post imo.

Yeah Bill's range of guests on his podcasts has really dwindled in the past few months. In the first few months we had the water foundation guy on which was really insightful, the head of the LA2024 committee and even on his NBA pods we had different guests. Since it's the big time in the NFL season (which I've little interest in) I've not much interest in listening. But once it's over please get some more varied NBA voices especially Haralabob.

Rainy

Banned
Yeah I get so annoyed when everyone just agrees with Bill about all his Patriots points. Like c'mon, disagree a little bit. Also I just get tired of hearing about the Celtics on every NBA podcast. Totally loved that last NBA podcast with House where he talked about trades involving the Celtics for 30 minutes...

Also did anyone notice that the whole crew from Keepin' It 1600 and left and created their own company (Crooked Media) and own political podcast ("Pod Save America")?

I just subscribed to them, they were one of my favorites from the Ringer but I'll definitely keep supporting.

Yeah Bill's range of guests on his podcasts has really dwindled in the past few months. In the first few months we had the water foundation guy on which was really insightful, the head of the LA2024 committee and even on his NBA pods we had different guests. Since it's the big time in the NFL season (which I've little interest in) I've not much interest in listening. But once it's over please get some more varied NBA voices especially Haralabob.

we are definitely due for some H-Bob

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah I get so annoyed when everyone just agrees with Bill about all his Patriots points. Like c'mon, disagree a little bit. Also I just get tired of hearing about the Celtics on every NBA podcast. Totally loved that last NBA podcast with House where he talked about trades involving the Celtics for 30 minutes...

Also did anyone notice that the whole crew from Keepin' It 1600 and left and created their own company (Crooked Media) and own political podcast ("Pod Save America")?

I just subscribed to them, they were one of my favorites from the Ringer but I'll definitely keep supporting.
Yep, he keeps pretending like they have significant national importance even though they're just a glamour franchise that got bounced in the first round of the EC playoffs last year and aren't anything particularly special this year. He's an admitted homer, but I think he really does believe that people more generally are interested in the Celtics stuff. And you make a good point about no one ever challenging him on any of his Boston stuff, beyond at most laughing at it. Like someone needs to jump in and say Bill if we're spending 30m on the Celts, should we maybe spend 45m on the Raptors while we're at it? (Not that I want that, mind you.)

Just in general he's been annoying me a lot more the past year or so, probably starting with all of the "both sides are pretty bad" bullshit during the election. Then telling people like Jeffrey Ross, "you better not get political in your comedy like everyone else is doing" and weird nonsensical rants about the "PC Police." Like fuck off dude.

jtb

Banned
It's ironic. Bill left ESPN so he would have more freedom, but to get that financial independence and build an audience, he's had to retread all of his usual greatest hits. Like watching a bad reunion tour.

But it's okay, because Bill gets to say "fuck" and fling childish insults at the NFL (not undeserved, of course). Really, the whole thing just begs the question... why does this exist?

legend166

I mean, Simmons has been around for 15+ years and writing with a heavily Boston slant and people still complain about it. He is what he is and has been this whole time.

I guess it doesn't bother me as much since I'm in Australia and don't follow teams in the US leagues as much as I follow the leagues themselves.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I mean, Simmons has been around for 15+ years and writing with a heavily Boston slant and people still complain about it. He is what he is and has been this whole time.

I guess it doesn't bother me as much since I'm in Australia and don't follow teams in the US leagues as much as I follow the leagues themselves.

He's always been biased for them, but not dedicating all his coverage to them. If you go back through the years at ESPN there's a ton (like an insane amount) of non-Celtics league-wide NBA coverage. Ultimately I think it just comes down to apathy though.

Kwhit10

I need Chuck Klosterman to come back to reverse interview Bill and call out Bill for his BS.

Yea definitely need more Kosterman, he will go against Bill. But to me, he just thinks differently than I do, so I like hearing his opinion on things.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Lombardi is not working for me on this Super Bowl prop bet pod. Not good at all.

I liked the pod just fine, but given the discussion ITT found it hilarious how they basically picked every single Pats Over. Even the most random ones. I mean, who knows, maybe they'll be right, but was violent agreement across the board on Pats Overs there.

spyder_ur

Lombardi is not working for me on this Super Bowl prop bet pod. Not good at all.

Yeah, they should've had Lombardi for a more traditional SB preview podcast, rather than what is traditionally a more silly Sal podcast. Instead, it didn't really work either way - there wasn't enough analysis and the props part would have been better if it was just Sal and Bill.

Simmons didn't go to the Super Bowl right?

Yeah, they should've had Lombardi for a more traditional SB preview podcast, rather than what is traditionally a more silly Sal podcast. Instead, it didn't really work either way - there wasn't enough analysis and the props part would have been better if it was just Sal and Bill.

Simmons didn't go to the Super Bowl right?

Yeah, that was my complaint. Lombardi was a wet blanket on the goofy Sal stuff, and Sal just sits there quietly while Lombardi does his game analysis. They just don't play off each other well.

And no, Simmons isn't at the SB, he'll be watching at home with his father in L.A.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah, that was my complaint. Lombardi was a wet blanket on the goofy Sal stuff, and Sal just sits there quietly while Lombardi does his game analysis. They just don't play off each other well.

And no, Simmons isn't at the SB, he'll be watching at home with his father in L.A.

There were some good moments though, like Lombardi calling Beyonce 'Bernice' and Sal in particular not letting it go. Once Sal get comfortable enough to make fun of Lombardi a lot I think it actually could work, with Lombardi playing the super straight man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom