• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ringer |OT| Formerly Known as Binge Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Bill posted a pic with Jay Glazer on his Twitter....oh please God no...

Saw that and legit can't believe he didn't realize how much of a disaster Glazer's appearance was, or just doesn't care. Halfway expecting Simbo to announce Craig Kilborn as a permanent BS podcast co-host at this point, since he's the only bigger trainwreck of a guest.

KingKong

ok I hope they dont do another podcast like that one. You could actually hear their agent forming sentences in his head

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ok I hope they dont do another podcast like that one. You could actually hear their agent forming sentences in his head
You scared me with this but it was only like 10m! :p And not really all that bad! I didn't love the studio format but Sal was on point as always.

jjasper

Speaking of podcasts.

FYI: we hired @ChrisVernonShow to host @ringer podcasts - 1 CFB + 2 NBA per week from Sep-thru-Dec, then 3 NBA per week from Jan-thru-July.

Vernon is probably the best radio host I have ever listened to you guys will enjoy his stuff.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
The NFL Podcast is actually pretty good now that they aren't ranking offensive linemen. Kevin Clark knows his stuff.

I'm gonna sub to that -- Clark is good, and just to mix it up from Simmons constantly shitting on and picking against my Cardinals. :p (Doubled my satisfaction at the Cards trouncing "Skinny Jameis" and Simmons's big pick of the week though. :D)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Not sure I can bear to listen to the slurping that will happen in this podcast lol

Hey that team almost reached the second round of the eastern-conference playoffs! They should have a whole podcast channel dedicated to them!

beat

Not sure I can bear to listen to the slurping that will happen in this podcast lol

Are there ANY non-Boston fans who want to hear - over two months after the fact - about how the Celtics tried to woo Kevin Durant??

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't really follow sports-media media, or even stuff like Deadspin, but is there any word on how Simbo is faring on his own (whether Ringer or HBO)?

Gigglepoo

I was really excited to hear JackO's answer to Bill's "What things would you fear most about a Hillary presidency?" question. It's pretty incredible that he could only come up with "She'd appoint Supreme Court judges I wouldn't agree with" before going off on another subject (she's not as charismatic as Obama). I've yet to hear anyone from the Republican side who really hates Hillary detail what policies of hers most frighten them.

Also, Bill and House all have terrible picks. It's kind of amazing. They're veering into Katie Nolan's "Fade That Pick" territory! I gasped when House took the Jags and Simmons took the Titans this week. Who bets on the AFC South? I could listen to those guys talk football for hours.

I don't really follow sports-media media, or even stuff like Deadspin, but is there any word on how Simbo is faring on his own (whether Ringer or HBO)?

Not really; it's a private company. He has a HBO deal that is solid and legit podcast / website sponsors, arguably stronger than Grantland ever had. The short articles still bug me but I have to think they are doing pretty well and at least are nowhere near Grantland's burn rate.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Glad the Sal pod is back to Monday's.

Guess the rights are up for the 2pac song.

Me too. Didn't realize how much better Mondays really are until this popped up as a pleasant surprise. The Thursday+Friday was unnecessary when you can just do Monday as more reactive + lines and Friday as forward-looking into the weekends. It is kind of funny how bad they all have been on their picks this year.

bionic77

Sal always delivers but Rappaport pods are the best. Hearing them bust Bills balls is the best. The worst podcasts are when Bill has a guest who just agrees with everything he says.

Changing gears does anyone actually read The Ringer?

Grantland to me was way more impressive. Most of the Ringer just seems to be reactionary trash like what you see on the front page of Yahoo!

Sal always delivers but Rappaport pods are the best. Hearing them bust Bills balls is the best. The worst podcasts are when Bill has a guest who just agrees with everything he says.

Grantland to me was way more impressive. Most of the Ringer just seems to be reactionary trash like what you see on the front page of Yahoo!

I use it to kill time at work every once in a while. For stuff like that, or reading on the shitter, the shorter format is much better, but it's not a must-visit daily thing for me like Grantland was.

I can't stand rappaport. I turn off Stern when he is on and won't listen to his podcasts. He's just too fucking annoying. Almost as annoying as bill and deflategate.

Chase17

Haven't visited the site in months. Only ringer content I keep up with are the BS pods and Keeping it 1600.

bionic77

I can't stand rappaport. I turn off Stern when he is on and won't listen to his podcasts. He's just too fucking annoying. Almost as annoying as bill and deflategate.
I love him with Simmons. He cracks me up.

Haven't listened to Stern in forever.

Haven't visited the site in months. Only ringer content I keep up with are the BS pods and Keeping it 1600.
I only follow the BS stuff.

Not a fan of anything else and their website has a lot of content but it is all fluff.

Rainy

Banned
I wish wrote Bill wrote columns or did mailbags again. On his Facebook live session on Saturday he said he would be writing during the NBA season again but I wonder if he'll actually follow up with that.

Keeping it 1600 and Sal are the highlights of the week for me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Team Rap here. Not enough to listen to his pod, but he's a very welcome monthly Simbo guest for me though I get how he could be love/hate. The guy I can't personally tolerate anymore is JackO with his borderline Breitbart nonsense. Just can't stomach it. One thing for Sal to say he "usually votes Republican" and w/e I guess, he's a lovable dolt who probably just hung out with MRA icon Carolla one too many times, but JackO goes in hard on that stuff like a clown. I also sadly find House pretty boring recently. Don't dislike him being on, but there was a point where he went in with a lot of prepared materials and he just seems to cite a bunch of meaningless gambling stats more than give insights (which, even stupid insights would be more entertaining than bad gambling angles from a guy who's like 1-8 on the season or whatever).

I wonder if Simmons is scaring off good young writers from his enterprise with his kind of weird old-man "well they're both pretty bad" election nonsense. Meantime 1600 guys are mostly killing it with their pod, but you almost wonder if he even listens to it. He just copped to only listening to the NFL pod for the first time this week, which was pretty shocking to me that he doesn't even listen to his own site's content.

I wish wrote Bill wrote columns or did mailbags again. On his Facebook live session on Saturday he said he would be writing during the NBA season again but I wonder if he'll actually follow up with that.

Keeping it 1600 and Sal are the highlights of the week for me.
Yes, same pretty much on all those points. Funny how he mentioned about Sean Payton getting lazy after some time off and basically totally admitting he's the same way. It's really true. He must be pretty set and I guess he just doesn't have that drive anymore.

gogosox82

Cousin Sal pod on Monday? Did they switch days and not say anything?

Edit: Nmv they explained it. Also what happened to the 2pac music?

I do, some writers like Shea Serrano and Danny Kelly are the best in the business at what they do and I will read everything the put out.

For others it depends on what the article is about. I think overall that the site has steadily improved since launch in terms of your average article on the site.

I'm over the Rappaport pods. The first couple were good as it felt genuine, now it just feels like he is playing up the whole "stickman" thing and playing a character.

Rainy

Banned
Have people still been keeping up with the Ringer? All I do now is listen to Bill's podcasts and Keepin it 1600.

I swear that 1600 podcast after the election was sad as hell, it looked like Lovett and Favreau were tearing up at points.

Also Collinsworth destroying Bill on twitter :lol

I still haven't listened to the podcast when Collinsworth came on though.

Have people still been keeping up with the Ringer? All I do now is listen to Bill's podcasts and Keepin it 1600.

I swear that 1600 podcast after the election was sad as hell, it looked like Lovett and Favreau were tearing up at points.

Also Collinsworth destroying Bill on twitter :lol

I still haven't listened to the podcast when Collinsworth came on though.

I still browse through the articles every other day or so. Definitely not the must-read Grantland was, but the articles are much easier and shorter to digest so I don't think it can ever be what Grantland was.

I didn't love the site when it first launched but I think it has gotten much better as late. I find myself going there multiple times a day now. It feels like a lighter version of Grantland now, instead of the buzzfeed ripoff that it was when it launched.

Bill's podcast, 1600, and The Watch are as good as ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom