• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'Skylanders Giants' |OT|

My mom is thinking about getting this for my little cousins (along with two extra figures and an extra giant) and im just wondering something.

Can you finish this game (beat every mission) with like four different skylanders or do they block certain parts of the game off and force you to use different elements? If they do block parts of the game off, would they be ok with eventually just owning one of every element and be able to finish the game then?

This is valid for both games: you can finish the game only with the figures that comes with the starter pack, but you cannot access all áreas in all levels with only four figures. You will need at least one of each element to get access to all áreas (there are parts of the levels that just a specific element can enter). To get 100% in the game you will need all figures.

Korosenai

This is valid for both games: you can finish the game only with the figures that comes with the starter pack, but you cannot access all áreas in all levels with only four figures. You will need at least one of each element to get access to all áreas (there are parts of the levels that just a specific element can enter). To get 100% in the game you will need all figures.
Ok cool. And with the giants, would just two be good enough (this way they both have their own)?

So basically they would have two giants (tree rex that came with the game and crusher) and one of every other element. Or should we also get another life element and another earth (? Whatever element crusher is) element?

DarkPanda

Ok cool. And with the giants, would just two be good enough (this way they both have their own)?

So basically they would have two giants (tree rex that came with the game and crusher) and one of every other element. Or should we also get another life element and another earth (? Whatever element crusher is) element?

That will be fine for Giants. You need a minimum of 8 figures, one of each element, to access all areas of the game. They can be any mix of giants and regular figures. There's no need to buy a Life or Earth regular skylander if you're getting Tree Rex and Crusher.

If they're not playing the first game, I'd probably just ask them to pick out which character of each element they like the best. The giants and new Skylanders won't work with the first game, but if you're not getting that then you don't need to worry about it. If the character they want has be re-released, then get the Series 2 variant if possible. The S2 figures let you switch upgrade paths and have access to super Wow Pow moves, something the series 1 figs and the new chars don't have.

Korosenai

Thanks for the help guys. We are gonna get them the starter pack and some extra figures, which consist of:

Jet-Vac
Cynder
Tree Rex
Crusher
Double Trouble
Flameslinger
Chill
Drobot

Wave 3 may be coming out sooner than expected and it may be the rest of the figures. Gamestop has all of the following listed on their site, nothing for sale but they're pages are active:

Lightning Rod
Shroomboom Lightcore
Prism Break
Drobot
Eye Brawl
Stealth Elf
Wrecking Ball
Eruptor
Chill Lightcore
Cynder Single
Shroomboom Regular Single
Ninjini
Pop Fizz Lightcore
Thumpback
Spyro
Triple Packs 5 thru 9

snkryo

After debating if I should get this for my kids I decided to get it for them. After playing the game with them I feel I'm more into it then they are. Simple and fun.

Zing

Banned
Wave 3 may be coming out sooner than expected and it may be the rest of the figures. Gamestop has all of the following listed on their site, nothing for sale but they're pages are active:
This has been the case for weeks. Based on the leaks from them earlier, I believe they simply have an official list of every SKU planned for release, and have added them all to the database.

I discovered the triple-packs SKUs a while ago and found it interesting. Based on the number of SKUs, every remaining unreleased figure will be available in a triple-pack. One of the triple-packs is the second "battle pack" with Zap and Hot Dog. This also means that a few of the triple-packs will contain only series 2 figures.

I was really hoping for a release this week along with the Wii U game, but it's tuesday, and no game release. Unless they are holding back the release for black friday (doubtful), it doesn't appear to be happening anytime soon.

rcl66

The iOS battlegrounds pack with blu-tooth portal is out now. But the app itself isn't on sale on itunes yet.

Posting in here because I didn't know where else to ask.

There's a black friday deal at walmart for a skylanders xb360 bundle any clue on how in demand that one will be? It comes with the spyros adventure starter pack, not sure how much of a difference that would be. I've been checking around and have slowly gained an interest and i'd hate to miss out.

Maybe someone could PM me so we don't derail this thread

Posting in here because I didn't know where else to ask.

There's a black friday deal at walmart for a skylanders xb360 bundle any clue on how in demand that one will be? It comes with the spyros adventure starter pack, not sure how much of a difference that would be. I've been checking around and have slowly gained an interest and i'd hate to miss out.

Maybe someone could PM me so we don't derail this thread

Spyros adventure is the first game, so I doubt the demand will be that high, unless they are clueless parents. The starter kit of that game was US$ 39 several times at TRU last year.

SumDooder

Neo Member
Apologies in advanced if this has been answered before, but is the Skylanders Giants Wii Portal compatible with the Wii U? I've already returned Giants twice to target (once because the Misses bought it for the 360, once again because the starter pack went cheaper), but I have no problem doing it again if I have to. Is the Wii U version even out yet?

Skylanders Battlegrounds!

30977_10101549002683064_64619031_n.jpg

405095_10101549002678074_1172405368_n.jpg

Royal Double Trouble, Platinum Treasure Chest.

Razlo

I have a question, does anyone know if the Skylanders Giants Wii U portal will work with the Wii version of Skylanders? I really want to jump into this franchise, and would like to do so on Wii U if possible.

Thanks!

BooJoh

I can't answer the above because I don't have the Wii version, but I encountered a glitch of some sort playing the Wii U version today. Nothing game-breaking, but at some point while playing Giants, my Home button became disabled. Pressing it during gameplay would just reload the portal of power screen and pressing it from the main menu did nothing. Had to power the system off to get back to the main menu.

Otherwise it's working fine and a lot of fun. Looks great too!

Spyros adventure is the first game, so I doubt the demand will be that high, unless they are clueless parents. The starter kit of that game was US$ 39 several times at TRU last year.

Noticed this and hoping for the best...

The main draw for the 360 bundle is that it comes with the exclusive green Gill Grunt.

This is the part that I'm worried about hopefully the excitement behind the exclusive character doesn't totally ruin my chances of getting one.

Thanks guys!

Zing

Banned
I have a question, does anyone know if the Skylanders Giants Wii U portal will work with the Wii version of Skylanders? I really want to jump into this franchise, and would like to do so on Wii U if possible.
So far, all of the portals (other than the new Bluetooth portal) have been totally compatible in both games. From what I have seen, all of the Giants portals are identical. They are all the new, flimsy, wired portal.

Zing

Banned
Skylanders Battlegrounds!
Unfortunately, it seems the Bluetooth portal is really just an easy way to unlock the characters in all of the iOS games. There is no updating of any data on the figures.

Also, the "platinum chest" is literally just the original Hidden Treasure item from the first game, only painted silver. It shows in the console versions as the series 1 Hidden Treasure.

Royal Double Trouble, however, is treated as a special series 2 figure.

The chest does unlock the basic items in Battlegrounds for free. It also increases your coin reward for completing quests, but neither effect is a big deal. I was able to unlock the 10 visible items using gems after only completing two levels. Coins don't even seem that necessary.

Battlegrounds is rather fun, although very easy so far. There are only two "worlds" currently, with two more showing in the menu as "coming soon". The update is stated in the description to come December 4th, which is also conveniently the tuesday of the week that wave 3 was originally scheduled. I'd look for wave 3 in stores that week.

Lost Islands is also a bit of fun. I have three additional islands discovered. The cost of the next one is 400,000 coins, but I am netting 150k a day without trying, so it won't take long. Although, the next one will probably cost 1 million. The key to getting coins is to always have plenty of energy and constantly activate your elemental shrines. I get 20k+ per shrine every 10 hours.

Katzii

Hahahah, there gors another exclusive I won't be getting ;-)

...I still want my Wave 2, dammit. Not pleased at the idea of waiting until February.

So I just black friday purchased Skylanders Giants starter for 360 and Skylanders Spyro's Adventure starter for 3DS (was cheapest way to do so). If I want to play the original console version do I have to buy the original starter kit as well or is there a way to just get the original game only? If I have to buy the original starter kit how does one "trade it" skylanders :X

GameMaster78

Neo Member
Yeah, I grabbed one of those 360's last night. My local Walmart only had 4 of them. Just got back from grabbing GITD Sonic Boom from another Walmart.

DodgerSan

So I just black friday purchased Skylanders Giants starter for 360 and Skylanders Spyro's Adventure starter for 3DS (was cheapest way to do so). If I want to play the original console version do I have to buy the original starter kit as well or is there a way to just get the original game only? If I have to buy the original starter kit how does one "trade it" skylanders :X

I have a similar question, thinking of getting this for my daughter for Christmas.

The starter for spyros adventure is hard to come by, but I can find the game standalone (360). If I get giants starter and spyro standalone, what would be some good recommended figures to play the first game?

U2NUMB

Finally found a hot head. Happened to check a local target and they had one just sitting there. Took forever to find him but glad I finally did.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Hey guys!

I've never played this game, nor have I ever given it any real thought. But I'm pretty desperate for Wii U games, and so I gave this a look. It actually looks super fun!

My question to you guys is... is it worth it? Is it a fun game? More importantly, how many of the separate figures should I be expected to buy in order to have a good time? Are they easy (and/or cheap) to buy used from people/online?

I'm definitely interested. I think at this point, I'll either end up getting Skylanders Giants or Black Ops 2. Help me out! :)

Zing

Banned
The game requires one of each element, plus a single giant, if you wish to explore every area in the game. The game comes with a giant, plus two other figures, so you would only need to buy five additional figures if this is what you desire. The game is able to be played to completion with what you get in the starter pack, but for an extra $50, you can see what the entire game has to offer.

Also, if you only buy "series 2" figures, you can use those same figures in the first game if you ever decide to play that.

As for "is it fun"? Yes, of course. I feel the first game in particular has excellent writing and design. However, if I were a modern, single, lonely gamer, I might give it a pass. Most of my enjoyment has come from playing through the game with my girlfriend and daughter.

Zing

Banned
The starter for spyros adventure is hard to come by, but I can find the game standalone (360). If I get giants starter and spyro standalone, what would be some good recommended figures to play the first game?

It depends on how good you are at video games. If you are a skilled gamer, figures such as Stealth Elf and Drill Sergeant reward tactical play. If you are not so hot at games, then a spammy, long-range character, such as Drobot or Trigger Happy, would be a better choice.

Zing

Banned
Anyone have the Wii U version of the game? When the game first starts and it plays the Activision and Toys for Bob splash screens, are there any other splash screens that appear (Vicarious Visions, etc)?

Zakkath

What does the Dragonfire Cannon do ? http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15854536

edit : nvm, found the answer : "when placed on the Portal of Power while playing Skylanders Giants unlocks a special in-game battle arena."
http://kotaku.com/5931730/gamestop-secures-exclusive-skylanders-giants-dlc-the-hard-way

Anyone have the Wii U version of the game? When the game first starts and it plays the Activision and Toys for Bob splash screens, are there any other splash screens that appear (Vicarious Visions, etc)?

The kids will only open it at xmas, so I can't help you there atm.

BooJoh

Copyright notice, Activision, Vicarious Visions, TFB. All are skippable except the copyright notice.

hoos30

Please post any deals online for the Giants starter pack. Thinking about getting this for my kid for Christmas. Except the Walmart 360 deal, we have enough consoles already.

Concerning the battle arena that the Dragonfire Cannon unlocks, is the arena a mano e mano battle arena where player 1 battles player 2, or is it an arena where both players team up to fight off waves of attacking enemies?

Zing

Banned
I was hoping there would be more of Brock's arenas.

I'm wondering if I buy a Wii U, migrate my saves and start playing the Wii U version of the game, if it will use my existing save game file. That's a lot of progress to lose.

Zing

Banned
Copyright notice, Activision, Vicarious Visions, TFB. All are skippable except the copyright notice.
Thanks for be info. Is the game able to be played without the gamepad? I really don't want to have to use the gamepad every time and I certainly don't want kids fighting over who gets to use it. They already fight over the color of wii remote.

BooJoh

I was hoping there would be more of Brock's arenas.

I'm wondering if I buy a Wii U, migrate my saves and start playing the Wii U version of the game, if it will use my existing save game file. That's a lot of progress to lose.
I doubt that would work, since the Wii U keeps all Wii content stored in a separate submenu interface.
Thanks for be info. Is the game able to be played without the gamepad? I really don't want to have to use the gamepad every time and I certainly don't want kids fighting over who gets to use it. They already fight over the color of wii remote.
I just tried and you can play alone without the Gamepad. It supports Wii Remote + Nunchuck, CC, or Wii U Pro Controller. I'm not sure if you can do two player without the Gamepad though. The Gamepad just shows your character's stats and is nothing special if you're not playing in no-TV mode, but kids will be kids so they'd probably fight over it anyway.

I usually just play with the Gamepad myself, it's a lot lighter than it looks (but just as big as it looks.)

Zing

Banned
Thanks again for the replies. I actually have a sealed Wii U sitting next to me and I think your answers plus the fact that Activision isn't selling any of their games on the eshop (forcing me to buy the entire starter kit, again) is a sign that I should just return the system and stick with the Wii.

Top Bottom