• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The song Space Oddity is being removed from Alan Wake (2010)

Puscifer

Why can't they use Steams feature to branch the builds? Make it so those who already own the game get to keep the song but those buying the game new get the edited version? Removing it from copies already owned is such a shit move.
You can do it if you wanna bother. I'm doing it with Risk of Rain 2, gearbox utterly broke the games code

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Everyone's going to go out and buy the song.
I assume it's going to make a lot of money now that it's been removed from being attached to something.
I wouldn't buy a song if it's attached to something else like a movie, TV show or Game.

I think thats the reasoning for these licences expirations.

Muffdraul

So sick of this shit. Whether it's the publisher being too cheap to pony up for a perpetual license or the copyright holders being too greedy in their demands, someone needs to get dragged for this crap. Breaks my heart whenever I start a new game of GTA4 and Schweine is no longer the first song you hear on the car radio as Niko drives Roman to the apt for the first time. :messenger_sad_relieved:

Sushi_Combo

So sick of this shit. Whether it's the publisher being too cheap to pony up for a perpetual license or the copyright holders being too greedy in their demands, someone needs to get dragged for this crap. Breaks my heart whenever I start a new game of GTA4 and Schweine is no longer the first song you hear on the car radio as Niko drives Roman to the apt for the first time. :messenger_sad_relieved:
Maybe it's depending on the platform but that song is still available when I fire up GTAIV on Ps3.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I guess that's the reason why GOG's great - download the current version and call it good.

This is, to be clear, completely stupid. Yes, I know how licensing works. I don't care. Fuck Remedy, and fuck the "all-digital future."
Nah fuck the music licensing people, blaming Remedy is some bullshit. There are so many TV shows that have effectively disappeared (legally) because they feature a bunch of licensed music and the cost to renegotiate disc and/or streaming rights is too much.
At least the game will continue to exist.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
hmm ,,, leave billion dollars of song right to someone and they turn around and sell it for a mere 250 million. Rich people huh..

Muffdraul

Maybe it's depending on the platform but that song is still available when I fire up GTAIV on Ps3.
A ton of songs were removed from GTA4 on its 10 year anniversary because R* let the licenses expire. Maybe you're still legally entitled to the songs if you have the physical disc? I've had GTA4 digitally on 360 since 2010.

Many of the songs I don't give two shits about, but Schweine is like a GTA4 signature song IMO. Whoever decided to let that one go, what an asshole. Like R* couldn't afford whatever the copyright holder was asking.

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

A ton of songs were removed from GTA4 on its 10 year anniversary because R* let the licenses expire. Maybe the songs are still there if you have the physical disc? I've had GTA4 digitally on 360 since 2010.
Yeah that's it, I still have my physical copy and no new updates are available so I guess they didn't bother with the 360/Ps3 physical releases.

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
iu

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
Fucken idiots. If someone makes a game they can license my band for $10 and have the rights forever. I just want to make enough for a coffee and pack of strings.

KemoSabe

Removing whole games because of licenses expiring is even more disgusting...
I'm looking at you Forza horizon...
I want FH3 so I can drive around in Australia.
Fuck that

Last edited:

SHA

This is why people hate paying for digital.
I remember Borderlands 2 music got removed from the Remastered first and the 360 version later on, damn! This made me forget the adrenaline rush in my blood, it destroyed what made this game magical.

Matt_Fox

Patch control to Major Tom... Patch control to Major Tom...

Delete this masterpiece and put a shite 'original song' on...

Trippy

I actually started replaying Alan Wake yesterday. And my reason for choosing to replay the OG version rather than buy the Remastered was the assumption that there would have been some fuckery with music being removed from the remaster.

Don’t see why content should ever been patched out of a game.

BbMajor7th

Such a flagrant case of 'because we can'. The more that technology makes possible, the more 'because we can' you'll have to put up with.

Toots

Gold Member
Patch control to Major Tom... Patch control to Major Tom...

Delete this masterpiece and put a shite 'original song' on...
This is Major Tom to Patch Control...
You've really made a mess...
And the players don't want to listen to the shite you played...
Now it's time to do a good job, if you dare.
(and give back the original version to those who bought it)

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Does this affect the original Xbox 360 version that is backwards compatible on One/Series X and S?

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Does this affect the original Xbox 360 version that is backwards compatible on One/Series X and S?
Backwards compatible means you play it from a disk or am i missing something ?

I guess they could add a patch to fuck this version too but if so you just play the disk version without updating.

VulcanRaven

Backwards compatible means you play it from a disk or am i missing something ?

I guess they could add a patch to fuck this version too but if so you just play the disk version without updating.
Yes but the digital version can be bought from the Xbox Store too. Its separate from the remaster. Both are there.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
Yes but the digital version can also be bought from the Xbox Store too. Its separate from the remaster. Both are there.
I guess if you have the digital version you're screwed, if they roll out patches to scrub the song out, it will be out of every digital versions.

A ton of songs were removed from GTA4 on its 10 year anniversary because R* let the licenses expire. Maybe you're still legally entitled to the songs if you have the physical disc? I've had GTA4 digitally on 360 since 2010.

Many of the songs I don't give two shits about, but Schweine is like a GTA4 signature song IMO. Whoever decided to let that one go, what an asshole. Like R* couldn't afford whatever the copyright holder was asking.
While it does not play in the intro, I am able to play it (and many others with random shuffling) with a background mp3 player on Series S. Also plays when outside a vehicle, which Rockstar never bothered to add to their games (Is a portable radio so hard to implement?). It is awesome in contrast to the trash they put in it's place.

Toots

Gold Member
climb-stairs.gif

Ninja cat squads are currently being deployed to everyone's home to scratch their discs as we speak.
Too expensive for the xbox division after such an abysmal series s/x gen.
I think Bill Gates will just point his secret 10G tower towards every Xbox worldwide, erasing all traces of the song in the first place by directly rewriting each console dna.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Still shocked that this is legal. Imagine buying a digital movie with some licensed songs and 10 years from now they remove 3 of them, so the entire scene is affected, and more importantly, what you paid for is no longer what you paid for.

Fuck digital.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
This revision shit has to stop. We need laws against this. If a song is used in a game it stays in the game.

They don't do this to movies.

yeah that's a good point about movies. i wonder how long before this masterpiece gets pulled from sale, because you know damn well Square/ Team Ninja won't patch it.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This revision shit has to stop. We need laws against this. If a song is used in a game it stays in the game.

They don't do this to movies.
They just stop printing the movies when the rights expire. Then you have to go find an exorbitantly priced DVD or Bluray if you are lucky. Some TV shows don't have any physical or digital release at all, the only option is to watch someone's old Tivo rip with ads and station overlays.

yeah that's a good point about movies. i wonder how long before this masterpiece gets pulled from sale, because you know damn well Square/ Team Ninja won't patch it.

When the credits rolled I was baffled to hear Frank Sinatra! What a game. I am still playing it. A great combat system and the best enemies and maps in their Nioh styled games. I want Team Ninja to do a full on sequel.

Top Bottom