• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Space Invaders Extreme XBLA Official Thread

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Are you kidding me? What is the point of playing then, if not for the high score. That's bullshit.
Well, thinking about it, there is a considerable "no lives lost" bonus given at the end of each stage, and of course losing a life will end any chains. So more lives isn't exactly going to make anyone a contender for the high end of the leaderboard, at least.

But, yeah, dumb move nonetheless.

Shig said:
The big "aw crap, this screws things up" thing I noticed was that someone around me on the leaderboards set their # of lives above the default and there was no penalty for doing so, their score got recorded right alongside everyone else's. Fuck that bullshit. Any score leaderboard should be like Ikaruga's, if you aren't playing the default settings, you ain't getting that score recorded on the leaderboard.
That's how you know it's a Backbone! I knew something would be fucked. Guess I won't be buying this.

Proc

SecretBonusPoint said:
The visuals were lovely and retro when I played this on PSP, but to see them just re-sized to HD is pretty god damned ugly.

No thank you.

Ouch. I'm still going to check out the demo. I hope its not as ugly as you let on.

How's the sound mix?

Yes Boss!

Proc said:
Ouch. I'm still going to check out the demo. I hope its not as ugly as you let on.

How's the sound mix?

No so much ugly, just lacking a bit of heart. What's more, this is the PSP version which is already a step down from the sublime DS version.

That said, any Space Invaders Extreme fan would do well to spend the $10 for another version.

Oh yeah, anybody try online yet? I did one co-op with a stranger but it was laggy as hell and unplayable.

Its basically the design rather than the implementation. I love a bit of blocky sprite retro-fun, and it looked really neat in the portable versions, but when you just take that and resize it all the way up to HD, you have pixels dwarving the size of my thumb. And I don't really find that enjoyable to look at. Maybe other people do.

RyanDG

Space Invaders Extreme is the BEST game on the DS. At first I was only content with saying that it was one of the better games on the system, but after playing it pretty much every couply of days since its release, I'm confident that there's no game anywhere near SIE. Of course there are couple of conditions - #1, you have to be obsessed with playing for score, and #2, you can't be opposed to memorizing patterns. As long as you aren't completely turned off by those two things, SIE is brilliantly executed.

I haven't downloaded it yet on XBLA, but I'm considering it despite already owning the PSP and DS versions of the game.

I think I may be obsessed.

MAN I love Jeff Minter. One of the greatest people ever to work in the industry.

Sadly, I can't get this game until next monday... finals and papers and what not. The internet alone is distracting enough, I'd fail the shit out of my finals if I picked this up right now.

RyanDG

Mrbob said:
What is so bad about SIE on PSP?

I have the DS version, and I figured they were the same?

I wouldn't say that the PSP version is bad per se, but the lack of the vertical screen and the re-mixed music definitely hurt it a couple of points in my book. Zuntata's soundtrack on the DS version was extremely well done.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Enjoying this game a lot, gets pretty tough in the later stages!

Also, going to options and bringing the background brightness up to 4 or 5 makes the visuals shine.

stuminus3

Tried the demo... well, it's Space Invaders Extreme alright so by default it's still the best game ever. It's not as good as the DS version though, if only because the music is total balls in comparison to the DS version. It doesn't quite feel right either, like it's slower paced or something. Why did they base this on the PSP version instead of the DS one?

Definitely worth a purchase if you don't own a DS, but I think I might instead put my money down on the XLBA Arkanoid that's out today too... that seems to be more like an enhanced version of the arcade original, not the total snoozefest that Arkanoid DS is.

I'm actually kind of annoyed that Jeff Minter has attached his name to this, but I'm not sure why.

bryehn

stuminus3 said:
Tried the demo... well, it's Space Invaders Extreme alright so by default it's still the best game ever. It's not as good as the DS version though, if only because the music is total balls in comparison to the DS version. It doesn't quite feel right either, like it's slower paced or something. Why did they base this on the PSP version instead of the DS one?

Definitely worth a purchase if you don't own a DS, but I think I might instead put my money down on the XLBA Arkanoid that's out today too... that seems to be more like an enhanced version of the arcade original, not the total snoozefest that Arkanoid DS is.

I'm actually kind of annoyed that Jeff Minter has attached his name to this, but I'm not sure why.

I actually preferred the PSP version. Maybe because I played it first, I dunno. I do know I don't feel the slightest bit guilty for triple-dipping though.

And, yeah Arkanoid is a totally different beast than the DS version, been playing it all day and really enjoying it.

stuminus3

bryehn said:
I actually preferred the PSP version. Maybe because I played it first, I dunno.
That could actually have something to do with it. I've played the DS version to death and back again, I get the Tetris Effect in my sleep but with little invader ships instead of falling blocks.

bryehn said:
I actually preferred the PSP version. Maybe because I played it first, I dunno. I do know I don't feel the slightest bit guilty for triple-dipping though.

And, yeah Arkanoid is a totally different beast than the DS version, been playing it all day and really enjoying it.
Same here, I prefer the PSP version.

NIN90

Haha, the German localization is sooo shitty. It reads pretty much like they the just put everything into Babelfish.

The sentences in the How-To-Play section make no sense. :lol

Game's great anyway.

Mrbob

I finally played the trial, I can see what the players of the DS version see now.

Gameplay is slower, control isn't as tight, and the music isn't as good. :/

Too bad. Will pass on it.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm actually pretty impressed.

Being able to blast the music and sound from my 5.1 system is awesome. How do you guys know it's not in 5.1?

Mamesj

Banned
Arvin: I think the music draws that connection to the younger audience. It's got this "hipper" vibe to it. (pause)

yeah, the kids today love them some generic sounding techno. the DS soundtrack is definitely a step up.

who let jeff minter throw up on my lcd screen

seriously who did it?

i'm glad i wasn't hallucinating on the music, either, i was just about to go try my DS version to compare. no sale whatsoever.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Seeing all this negativity over the game is breaking my heart. I loved the DS version so damn much and played it for weeks over the summer (pretty much saved me from breaking down at work during the early morning shifts). I'll give the demo a try later to see if all the hate is warranted.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
I loved this game on the DS and I love it here.

The multiplayer modes don't interest me much from what I've played (which was all of one match), but the single-player is as strong as ever.

Yes Boss!

ahoyhoy said:
Seeing all this negativity over the game is breaking my heart. I loved the DS version so damn much and played it for weeks over the summer (pretty much saved me from breaking down at work during the early morning shifts). I'll give the demo a try later to see if all the hate is warranted.

It is definitely worth a shot if you've not played the PSP game or don't have a PSP. Yeah, the DS game is miles better but I was digging on the PSP version last fall with the D-Pad (I've got a paddle for DS).

Also, try the game with a stick...something that is fun times.

mollipen

TheSonicRetard said:
MAN I love Jeff Minter. One of the greatest people ever to work in the industry.

If there's anybody at the top of my "I have no idea why people like this guy" list, it's Minter. I seriously don't give the love for him some people have.

Gazunta

Buying this game just to support Minter.

In fact if there's a way to make sure all my moon points go towards him that would be ace.

SickBoy

I agree with the folks who played the demo and then decided they were going to go back to the DS version. This is a big surprise to me. I thought this was foolproof, but if nothing else the game feels different (in style, control, music)... and that's enough to break the spell it has over me.

I'm sure it's still a good game, but I'm not going to drop another $10 on a game that actually seems inferior to the version I already have on far inferior hardware.

Can't believe people are bitching about this. Sure, if you've got the DS or PSP versions it might not be worth double dipping, but it's not like this is some sort of half-arsed port
like Arkanoid.

Dr Zhivago said:
Can't believe people are bitching about this. Sure, if you've got the DS or PSP versions it might not be worth double dipping, but it's not like this is some sort of half-arsed port
like Arkanoid.

Even on the DS it was just a half arsed port, only made better with the japan-only paddle controller. Pity, too; something like Nervous Brickdown would have been awesome.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I don't think many people bought this game because I'm ranked 47 on the leaderboards, lol. The scoring system is stupid. I got a game over in level 5 but I was able to restart the level with my accumulated score intact. I should have at least been zeroed out at the start of the level.

fernoca

Got it yesterday, been waiting to play any Space Invader Extreme version..so this is my first.
Love the visuals, the music and it's quite fun..well worth the wait. :)

I hate asking this because it smacks of some sort of GameFAQs question or something, but I bought a XBL Points card on Amazon and got $10 credit towards an XBLA game. Should I buy this or Mega Man 9? (I would buy Broken Steel with it, but I don't know if it applies. :/)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
played a 4 player survival.

I will NEVER ever complain about SFIV lag ever again after this slideshow.

It's a fun game though, I like the scoring mechanism. However, I think Geo Wars beats it by miles.

Thrilltacular

Neo Member
fernoca said:
Got it yesterday, been waiting to play any Space Invader Extreme version..so this is my first.
Love the visuals, the music and it's quite fun..well worth the wait. :)

If you like this version and you have a DS, you definitely should go and spend the $20 on that version. It just about trumps this and the PSP version in every way except resolution.

Kuroyume

Banned
I fucking love it. I love the gameplay. I love the visuals and the music. I haven't tried multiplayer yet because I turned silver last month, but it honestly doesn't surprise me if there's lag. I'd say most of the XBLA games I have feature terrible net code so I expected it.

Sectus

If anyone's considering to get this for the online play... don't! The netcode is horrible and practically unplayable unless you're on a LAN.

womp

The DS version FTW, always has always will be.

Zuntata soundtrack and usage of the double screens really make it that much better, plus its online leaderboards aren't F'ed.

Easily one of my favorite DS titles.

As for Arkanoid XBLA? No spinner, no sale.

I bought it and really like this version. I have the DS one and like that one too. I completely forgot about the 2nd screen playing this one. :) Jeff Minter obviously did the crazy backgrounds, which are not too far off from the horrendous DS ones. The charm here is all in the blocky main ship and aliens anyway.

The sound in the game is LOUD too. I have to cut my volume in half to play this game.

I don't get complaints about the feel, it seems the same or near the same to me.

For anyone pissed at Backbone, they did a very good job here.

Arkanoid by comparison to the style of this is lacking to say the least.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Been playing SIE for a few days now, and I'm impressed. The pattern recognition and memorization of levels is starting to click with me, and I like how the shooting mechanic adds to the music like in Rez. I'm also getting that "gotta play one more round" vibe of Geometry Wars. Overall, probably a B+.

robot

Co-op is a lot of fun, only tried 2p though. You don't get any continues either which i really like. Still getting a handle on the scoring system, but overall the game is pretty damn awesome. There's an occasional "out of sync" moment with sound effects here and there, but everything else is really tight. I would imagine 4 players is freakin nuts.

Top Bottom