• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Stanley Parable |OT| Training Bicycles in the Art of Undoing Temporal Paradoxes

iLq8siU.png

• Platform: PC (Steam)
  • Developer: Galactic Cafe
  • Genre: First person exploration
  • Price: $15.00 (currently on sale for $11.99)

Please tag all spoilers in this thread! Feel free to go to this thread to talk spoilers, sans tags.

Welcome to The Stanley Parable Official Thread!

Before letting you delve into the majesty and wonder that is to be had in this thread, I thought I would show you how an Official Thread is made.

The first thing one must do when constructing an Official Thread is to devise a sufficiently clever title. This title will preferably be exceedingly obtuse to those who have had no experience with said game, thus allowing the rest to feel that they are "in" on the joke. Merely quoting a line from the game is insufficient!

Once you have spent several weeks debating on a thread title, you can begin working on the body. This must be full of the most beautiful and eye-catching graphical design that money can buy. You want people to remember your OT, do you not? When interviewing designers for this job, ensure that they have at least 6 years of graphical design experience, have worked on several motion pictures, have created ads for the largest names in the business, and are sought after by all of the major websites.

Now, you will begin gathering as much relevant information for the game as possible. Every word in this thread should be important and relevant to the content of the game. It's preposterous to think that anybody wants to read through paragraphs of your blather just to find out what a game is about! Lovingly pore over each and every word to give your reader the best impression of the game as possible. Can you imagine reading through all of that and still having no good idea of what the game is about? How absurd.

As this entire process can take months, and even years, be sure to spend sufficient time preparing! It's advisable to begin crafting an Official Thread before the game is even announced. The worst thing you could possibly do is try to whip together an Official Thread on the day said game is releasing. Invariably it will be full of worthless drivel, and everybody reading it will be able to instantly tell that you are merely trying to be more clever then you actually are.

Now that we are finished with that, time to get to the STANLEY PARABLE OFFICIAL THREAD!!

...er...now where did I put it? It was right here a second ago...

FAQ

Q: What in the world is The Stanley Parable?

A: It's officially a "first person exploration" game developed by Galactic Cafe with brilliant narration by Kevin Brighting . Not everyone will enjoy this game -- in particular, logical and emotional types. It's a suitably meta experience that parodies many video game tropes.

Q: Should I play the original mod first?

A: Probably not, unless you don't want to buy the full game.

Q: Should I play the demo first?

A: Absolutely! It will give you a good idea of what you're getting into (or possibly no idea at all), and the content is all unique to the demo itself. I would highly recommend that everybody play the demo before the full game.

screen7.png

Let's begin...

StuBurns

Banned
Well, the most important thing is finding all endings, what we got so far?

I remember these, but I could be forgetting a couple.
Do what he says.
Do what he says until you activate the mind control machine.
Do what he says until you take the escape passage.
Do what he says until you go down stairs.
Turn right, take the first door on the left, go down the lift.
Turn right, go to the lift thing, fall to your death.
Turn right, ride the lift thing.
Turn right, jump to the rafters below, enter the red door.
Turn right, jump to the rafters below, enter the blue door.

Metal B

Do what he says.

Turn right, ride the lift thing. Don't answer the phone and pull its plug.

I think I liked the demo more than I did with the full game.

By the way there's quite a lot more "endings" than the ones listed in the spoilers above.

Ganzor

Do what he says.
Another ending:
Turn right, ride the lift thing, unpluck the phone

edit: damn to late ;D

AHA-Lambda

I got 10 endings so far, anyone found any more?

I've still only managed half of the achievements as well, so I'm guessing there's another couple.

I got 10 endings so far, anyone found any more?

I've still only managed half of the achievements as well, so I'm guessing there's another couple.

I've gotten around 11 I think...kind of lost track.

I'm pretty sure there's still a handful more that I haven't gotten. I know there's a few paths I haven't taken yet.

Oh, and the Minecraft/Portal section was brilliant.

The achievement list is great:

http://i.imgur.com/Zof3022.png

(Potential spoilers...although not really.)

Apparently you can get an achievement for not playing the game for five years.

Did you guys get the
Confusion Ending
yet? Also, I loved the room where
it has outtakes for the narrator. If you sit there long enough, the real narrator starts talking to you softly about what a pointless room it is.

tesqui

This game is such a beautiful adventure of mind fuckery!

has anyone found a way to stop the timer when you choose to turn the mind controller back on? I wonder if there is any actual way to stop it?

Also in the museum ending where all the game stuff is being displayed, there's an area that talks about this "Zending" and how it was scrapped and combined into another ending. I wonder which ending this is and I'm not sure if I've seen anything resembling it.

I don't know how many endings there are but I feel like I found most of them but at the same time I feel like I've just scratched the surface.

I fully intend to not cheat to get the "Don't play the game for 5 years" achievement. (I'm assuming you can just change the date on your computer to five years in the future.)

What a surprise it will be when that achievement pops up in 10 years when I want to show this game to my future kids or something.

Have no idea what this game is about and have never seen any gameplay of it. I bought it because of the overwhelming praise it's been getting and I feel like I'm in for something cool

AHA-Lambda

has anyone found a way to stop the timer when you choose to turn the mind controller back on? I wonder if there is any actual way to stop it?

Also in the museum ending where all the game stuff is being displayed, there's an area that talks about this "Zending" and how it was scrapped and combined into another ending. I wonder which ending this is and I'm not sure if I've seen anything resembling it.

I don't know how many endings there are but I feel like I found most of them but at the same time I feel like I've just scratched the surface.

Look at the colour of the levers :p

I think that's just there to take the piss out of another game ;)

Can you guys please spoiler tag some of that?

EDIT: Thanks tesqui. AHA-Lambda, can you tag it in your quote of his post to?

Definitely buying this. Is it any longer than the original mod? What's new?

Seconding this question. I played the mod thoroughly when it was free. I'd love to revisit the game, but I'm not interested in buying it if it's basically the same thing? Any people who have played the mod have a chance to try this yet?

StuBurns

Banned
Seconding this question. I played the mod thoroughly when it was free. I'd love to revisit the game, but I'm not interested in buying it if it's basically the same thing? Any people who have played the mod have a chance to try this yet?
That's a difficult question, because who's to say exactly how much is hidden, but on the face of it, it's basically exactly the same thing.

Bricky

It's kind of hard to talk about this game at all without spoiling anything, so even though spoiler-tagging the obvious stuff is great I'd just like to say to anyone who hasn't played the game yet, read this thread up to this post and has his or her interest even slightly piqued: seriously, stop reading ANYTHING on this game and buy/play it right now. At the VERY LEAST play the demo. Or just play the original mod if you don't have money, because reading any more spoilers to discover if you'd like it or not just ruins the game.

Still not convinced? Need some review scores?

http://www.destructoid.com/review-the-stanley-parable-263731.phtml
10/10 (and this is Jim Sterling we're talking about)

After reading that, do you still need a review with more information which kind of spoils some things if you want to be spoiled a bit before you spend 10 bucks?
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...m/2013/10/17/wot-i-think-the-stanley-parable/
13 cute owls/10 (no, seriously)

Allright, if you're still confident you don't want to play this, even not the free version, after reading all that, carry on.

Spierek

"Finished" TSP a while ago (got all of the endings you've posted, dunno if there are more) and enjoyed it a lot.

justjim89

Giant Bomb QL incoming!

jeffgerstmann
jimcashfan asked:

Plans on checking out The Stanley Parable? It's really interesting with great sharp writing. Would love to see you guys play it on UPF or do a Quick Look.

Yup, recorded it today.

I think the Zending is where you go into the space room, since it's all zen-like

There is quite a bit of added content in addition to looking really pretty and being a lot more polished.

Bricky

I found another 'ending' (more of an easter-egg really).

I used the 'begin again' option in the menu and... (Next spoiler is what happens, but it does seem to trigger randomly so I'm not sure if it will show up for everyone)
I got to a room with a door I could open behind which I found a whiteboard simply saying 'whiteboard ending'. After leaving that room the game continued like it always does. I also once restarted and got a simple straight hallway to the door choice.

I think there are quite a few endings/easter-eggs we still don't know about yet. I just tried the
Phone plug pull
ending, which was brilliant and
seems like the 'real end' tot the original mod which I never finished, instead of the new museum thingy. Am I right?

E: Also, my two favorite moments in the game which not everyone might've discovered
Broom Closet, just wait there and see if you haven't yet
The whole 'other game' part in this version, instead of loading a map from Half Life 2 in the mod, actually loading Minecraft and Portal! I thought the creator would just make some kind of game up since you can't just use licensed stuff in a stand-alone $15 release. I guess Valve and Notch just said 'go ahead, that's awesome' when the creator asked them.

tesqui

I think my favorite ending has to be
(right door, jump off crate lift to catwalk, follow blue door fully through). I was incredibly delighted with the minecraft and portal sequence which then proceeded to bring you to the original mod's map. I enjoyed that A LOT
Also the
follow the crazy line confusing ending is a close second!

Not an ending, but
one of the times I restarted the game, a phone began to ring at one of the cubicle type things right at the start and you can answer to hear some funny dialogue, didn't seem to change anything though.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Did anybody else find the (item cameo spoiler)
Dallas mask from Payday? I couldn't believe it when I saw it, just seems like such a strange game to drop in TSP

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh my god. This is brilliant.

The
Minecraft part after failing the "Save the baby" game is awesome. We're going mining now.

afoni

Banned
This is a beautiful enhanced remake.

Pretty sure I got all the endings, but I'll probably watch this thread just in case there's some stuff I didn't uncover.

afoni

Banned
Go right, go forward, get on the moving platform, jump down onto the catwalk, pick the red door, enjoy the ride.

Wrong.

Go right, go forward, get on the moving platform, jump down onto the catwalk, enter the blue door each time, THEN enjoy the ride.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm at the part where I just found out
I was doing the "Confusion Ending" and it just restarted the game once again.

This is pretty damn cool. At one point
I even killed myself by jumping off that platform.

tesqui

Pretty cool easter egg/ ending maybe?
At the starting point one of the computers will have the words "Input" and 5 blank bars on it. You have to click that, then restart, then find it again and again until all 5 bars are filled. Then you will be teleported to "Heaven" Where you are surrounded by buttons of all colors. Haven't figured out if there's anything to do here but it sure is pretty crazy and weird.

Pretty cool easter egg/ ending maybe?
At the starting point one of the computers will have the words "Input" and 5 blank bars on it. You have to click that, then restart, then find it again and again until all 5 bars are filled. Then you will be teleported to "Heaven" Where you are surrounded by buttons of all colors. Haven't figured out if there's anything to do here but it sure is pretty crazy and weird.

Whaaaatt...

I pressed it once but couldn't figure out what was going on.

It sounds like they really jammed this game full of secrets. Awesome.

Anybody figured out how to get the "Unachievable" achievement? Apparently it's possible, because 0.1% of people that own the game have gotten it. (Or maybe it's just the devs.)

Nobody has the "Commitment" achievement yet, though. Haha. Can't wait to see how many people leave the game running all day next Tuesday. Would be great if that also unlocked some other ending or something...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Okay. I just
got crushed and now the screen is blank

Before it
went blank, the narrator said I need to press Escape and restart. But up until now I've learned to not listen to anything they say. But it's still black. Soooo... do I need to actually restart?
I haven't gotten any achievements or anything signifying I finished the game.

Marjar

Banned
It really feels like this game has a crazy amount of different endings. Quite a step up from the original game's mere six.

Okay. I just
got crushed and now the screen is blank

Before it
went blank, the narrator said I need to press Escape and restart. But up until now I've learned to not listen to anything they say. But it's still black. Soooo... do I need to actually restart?
I haven't gotten any achievements or anything signifying I finished the game.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you do. I got to that point myself.

ShaunBRS

Another ending:
Backing out of your bosses office just after you enter (so that the doors close in front of you) and backtracking to 428 gives you an escape pod ending.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah I'm pretty sure you do. I got to that point myself.
Well, I did. And it didn't give me any achievement or anything.
I saved at that black screen so I could go back and it just never changes. Restarting doesn't do anything except restart as far as I can tell. Am I supposed to get an achievement or some kind of signifier that I got a proper ending? How do I know which endings I got? Can I know? What am I doing here?

Top Bottom