• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Stanley Parable |OT| Training Bicycles in the Art of Undoing Temporal Paradoxes

tesqui

Another easter egg
Enable console by right clicking game and set launch options to -console. Then type sv_cheats 1 in console to get a stern talking to.

Odrion

Banned
Another ending:
In the very first computer room, there's a window with two desks nearby. You can get on one of the desks with a chair and crawl out the window.

Cyborg771

Neo Member
So I figured out the computer input thing. The first time you click the computer in inputs 1 character, the next time you restart the screen will appear on a different computer and you can input the second character. Do this 4 times (once it appears on the boss' secretary's computer) and then it will be on the screen in Stanley's office. Click it one final time for a secret ending.

Bookoo

So I figured out the computer input thing. The first time you click the computer in inputs 1 character, the next time you restart the screen will appear on a different computer and you can input the second character. Do this 4 times (once it appears on the boss' secretary's computer) and then it will be on the screen in Stanley's office. Click it one final time for a secret ending.

Once you are at the secret ending are you supposed to just exit out or is there something I am missing?

Cyborg771

Neo Member
Once you are at the secret ending are you supposed to just exit out or is there something I am missing?

Pretty sure there's nothing.

So, I found something interesting

I got the whiteboard ending out of sheer luck, but in the bottom right hand corner or the whiteboard it appears to say "Console >baRk". I had the console open from the "Stern Talking To Ending" so I typed in various capitalizations of bark and had no luck. Any ideas? You can see a screenshot here http://i.imgur.com/Psa2O6L.jpg

tesqui

I got the whiteboard ending out of sheer luck, but in the bottom right hand corner or the whiteboard it appears to say "Console >baRk". I had the console open from the "Stern Talking To Ending" so I typed in various capitalizations of bark and had no luck. Any ideas? You can see a screenshot here http://i.imgur.com/Psa2O6L.jpg

type "bark" in console then click around and the clicky keyboard sound will be replaced with a dog bark.

ShaunBRS

Just type bark in lowercase and you will bark on mouseclick. I don't know if it does anything useful, though.

Quantum

Fantastic,

although I've now restarted and it
sounds like its raining while I walk through the office

I haven't noticed anything different and it disappeared on the next start.

Geez, so many things people are posting that I missed (and I got about 10 endings).

Also, it's been the top selling game on Steam all day today. Very cool to see!

This might be my game of the year and I haven't seen most of the endings.

Is the 430 achievement broken?
Or does it initiate The Line™? I didn't get it after that either

sqwarlock

Had this happen to me after viewing both options presented during the
"window ending".

iEaOxQo.jpg

Had this happen to me after viewing both options presented during the
"window ending".

How does one get that ending?

Man, just booted it up again and got about 3 more endings I didn't see before. I think I've seen around 15? Do we have any official count on how many have been found?

One weird thing I haven't figured out:

Take the choices that lead you to that cool space room, and then kill yourself by jumping off that ledge a bunch of times. When you respawn, the narrator makes a comment about "the offices being much brighter then they have ever been before". I thought this was perhaps like the confusion ending where something different would happen as I proceeded, but it seemed the same beyond that initial comment.

Is there anything secret that something has found that triggers only after the "office is brighter" comment?

sqwarlock

How does one get that ending?

Man, just booted it up again and got about 3 more endings I didn't see before. I think I've seen around 15? Do we have any official count on how many have been found?

One weird thing I haven't figured out:

Take the choices that lead you to that cool space room, and then kill yourself by jumping off that ledge a bunch of times. When you respawn, the narrator makes a comment about "the offices being much brighter then they have ever been before". I thought this was perhaps like the confusion ending where something different would happen as I proceeded, but it seemed the same beyond that initial comment.

Is there anything secret that something has found that triggers only after the "office is brighter" comment?

As soon as you leave Stanley's office, head towards the two windows. One of the desks has a chair that's pulled out a bit, and if you angle it right you'll "climb" up on top of the desk. Crouch and maneuver your way over to, and out of, the window.

I'm not sure if the papers being strewn about is related to that ending or not, but it was the first time I'd seen it.

As soon as you leave Stanley's office, head towards the two windows. One of the desks has a chair that's pulled out a bit, and if you angle it right you'll "climb" up on top of the desk. Crouch and maneuver your way over to, and out of, the window.

I'm not sure if the papers being strewn about is related to that ending or not, but it was the first time I'd seen it.

Thanks! Those were great "endings" too.

Also, very strange. I DIDN'T get the paper's strewn about after watching those, but the narrator did say "wait, no. This isn't Stanley's office. Where's Stanley's office?". Everything looked the same to me, though, and I went through for a bit and saw no differences.

I have a feeling that there must be a TON more secrets hidden in the game that people haven't found yet. I would be very happy if several months from now people are still periodically finding new bits of dialogue and an ending here or there.

If my count is right, I believe I've seen 18 endings so far.

vladdamad

Was really disappointed at first, as I kept getting endings that were in the original mod. I wasn't a fan with the outcomes before, still not a fan now, particularly the one where
Stanley ends up insane and dies outside, with a woman watching him
as it just seems to open-ended to be a meaningful critique of something. I also thought that some of the original endings were made worse with some of the changes that were made. In the original,
ending up in the Half Life 2 map was a real holy shit moment, considering that the beginning to that game is so iconic
. In the new one, though, the
Minecraft thing doesn't work nearly as well. Maybe I just don't like Minecraft that much. Portal works a little better due to the similarities between the narrator and GLaDOS.
Maybe it was the lack of surprise since a similar trick was pulled in the original

Once I got some of the new endings, though... Holy shit. Absolutely magnificent stuff. Loved, loved, loved the
confusion ending, which reminded me for some reason of that daffy duck cartoon where the guy keeps erasing him
. The
phone
one was extremely creepy, and was an excellent commentary on
people sitting at home playing video games (pushing buttons)
. Broom closet is one of the funniest things in the game. Maybe it's the fact that Galactic Cafe have matured since the original was released, but you can definitely see a colossal jump in quality in the new endings. Can't wait to see what these guys come up with next.

Oh, and as an avid trophy hunter, I found Room 430 to be absolutely amazing.

Thanks! Those were great "endings" too.

Also, very strange. I DIDN'T get the paper's strewn about after watching those, but the narrator did say "wait, no. This isn't Stanley's office. Where's Stanley's office?". Everything looked the same to me, though, and I went through for a bit and saw no differences.

I have a feeling that there must be a TON more secrets hidden in the game that people haven't found yet. I would be very happy if several months from now people are still periodically finding new bits of dialogue and an ending here or there.

If my count is right, I believe I've seen 18 endings so far.
I think he has the ability to just say random things in the first room. Same with the random phone calls.

I love that he
boards up the broom closet

Does anyone know what triggers
the confusion
ending? I already did it but I don't know if it happens after so many play throughs or what.

bj00rn_

Banned
I have no idea what just happened, I swear, I just started playing it, and after about 3 minutes I've already seen the end credits..

I walked through a corridor and ended up getting killed by a machine crushing me.

vladdamad

I have no idea what just happened, I swear, I just started playing it, and after about 3 minutes I've already seen the end credits..

I walked through a corridor and ended up getting killed by a machine crushing me.

You're not done :) Make a different choice the next time

AHA-Lambda

How do you get
whiteboad ending?

It's so cool to see all of the stuff people are finding even after playing it for hours last night and getting 10 different endings :)

I'm still missing 5 achievements so I know there's more, and I didn't get the speedrun one either, but can't tell if I'm not quick enough or if there is another way.

I got the "wait, no. This isn't Stanley's office. Where's Stanley's office?" line aswell I don't know what it does.

NZNova

I like that you can
answer the phone to order a shitload of boxes that then show up the next time you restart
. Also that if you
break the story by unplugging the phone, you can then break it even further by taking the right door instead of the left when prompted, of course

Boy, this thread is spoiler tag city!

Spookie

I love how the game rewards you for attempting to do the typical player behaviour of attempting to break the game. It's like a inception level of gaming commentary.

The game achieved something I never thought possible.

The demo was better than the main game.

It was a really interesting ride but ultimately I got bored.

The game achieved something I never thought possible.

The demo was better than the main game.

It was a really interesting ride but ultimately I got bored.

The demo was really linear and only had a few actual choices.

The actual game itself has many more choices than the original and alot of random stuff that happens.

I've played the original as well, so I must ask if this game gives you choices that actually make sense. I ask because in both that and the demo I did not feel like I was really thinking or doing anything with real thought. Is there actually any real meaningful player interaction at all? TBH this style of game just comes off as incredibly pretentious, something that tries to be interactive art but does next to nothing with the actual interactive side of things.

I've played the original as well, so I must ask if this game gives you choices that actually make sense. I ask because in both that and the demo I did not feel like I was really thinking or doing anything with real thought. Is there actually any real meaningful player interaction at all? TBH this style of game just comes off as incredibly pretentious, something that tries to be interactive art but does next to nothing with the actual interactive side of things.

The choices are generally "do I go this way or that way", or "do I obey the narrator or disobey him". But it's done really well, and there's a huge amount of possible decisions and entertaining endings. I don't think I ever had to sit back and debate what I should choose. But the results were always interesting enough that I would go back later and make the other choice to see what happens.

I don't see the game as pretentious, personally. A game is pretentious, in my opinion, if it's trying to be more important or meaningful then it actually is. I don't feel like the game is trying to portray any deep and important meaning, and thus don't feel that it's pretentious. It's just trying to be clever and funny while subverting certain narrative tropes. Which it succeeds at.

Afro

Literally have a headache after my first run. Only game I've actually laughed out loud at besides Portal/Portal 2. One of the most important games of the year.

Was playing last night, and kept not listening to the guy and doing exactly opposite. Eventually the game just went completely black and that was it. Nothing else. Did the game glitch?

Was playing last night, and kept not listening to the guy and doing exactly opposite. Eventually the game just went completely black and that was it. Nothing else. Did the game glitch?

There might be an ending like that, I can't remember. Try it again, but make different choices yet. There's tons of different endings, I've done probably around 15-18 so far.

Jamie OD

I do not recommend playing this game when you're feeling light headed with the flu. The demo freaked me the fuck out because I wasn't in good condition to think straight.

sqwarlock

Just got the Speed Run achievement. Basically you have to
get the "Freedom" ending at least four times to get it. Every time you "beat" the game with that ending something shortens in terms of the map.
This is how my run went:

First run: Normal everything, including the New Age music when I tried to rush the keycode and the long diatribe as you go down the elevator towards the Mind Control Facility.

Second run: Normal everything up to the boss's office where the narrator just opens the door for you. The elevator dialogue isn't present.

Third run: The second computer room is removed and you get a left turning corridor from the first computer room to the two door choice. Boss's room is even faster as the secret door opens as soon as you enter the office. Everything else is like the second run.

Fourth run: No computer rooms at all. Just a straight corridor from Stanley's office to the two doors. Everything else is like the third run. This was the run that got me the achievement.

Wow, that's a big chunk of spoilers.

afoni

Banned
So, have we got a list of possible ways that the game can end or what? I want to know if I'm missing any.

Complete obedience.
Turning the mind control machine on.
Going through the escape corridor and museum.
Going down the stairs and going insane ending.
Confusion ending.
Answering the telephone.
Unplugging the telephone and going to the right.
Whiteboard ending.
Door closes before you can leave Stanley's office.
Minecraft/Portal/complete disobedience.
Happiness room/suicide ending.
Jumping from the moving platform death.

Is there anything else?

Cyborg771

Neo Member
Just got the Speed Run achievement. Basically you have to
get the "Freedom" ending at least four times to get it. Every time you "beat" the game with that ending something shortens in terms of the map.
This is how my run went:

First run: Normal everything, including the New Age music when I tried to rush the keycode and the long diatribe as you go down the elevator towards the Mind Control Facility.

Second run: Normal everything up to the boss's office where the narrator just opens the door for you. The elevator dialogue isn't present.

Third run: The second computer room is removed and you get a left turning corridor from the first computer room to the two door choice. Boss's room is even faster as the secret door opens as soon as you enter the office. Everything else is like the second run.

Fourth run: No computer rooms at all. Just a straight corridor from Stanley's office to the two doors. Everything else is like the third run. This was the run that got me the achievement.

Wow, that's a big chunk of spoilers.

Some of those things like the shortened path to the two-door room are randomized from what I can tell.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
How does the new game compare to the original mod in terms of the endings/tricks? Is it worth playing if you already went through the original game?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Watched the 1st 15 minutes of GiantBomb's quicklook. Stopped it, and purchased it. Will play when I get home.

So the game is still #1 on Steam, and the dev just tweeted that it's sold a TON of copies. Very happy to hear that. It's pretty cool how quirky little indie titles like this can be this successful these days.

Quantum

So the game is still #1 on Steam, and the dev just tweeted that it's sold a TON of copies. Very happy to hear that. It's pretty cool how quirky little indie titles like this can be this successful these days.

Agreed, I'm so happy that this has stayed number one.

I completely enjoyed playing - so worth the price of entry.

Top Bottom