• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Stanley Parable |OT| Training Bicycles in the Art of Undoing Temporal Paradoxes

Worth the price of admission, but I thought this was going to be an entirely new thing, more of a sequel, given the surreal videos. It was a good remake, and there is a fair amount of new content and a lot of randomized material to throw you off, but it definitely exists to replace the original mod, not be a follow-up to it.

Besides the obvious dangling threads and teases people are still working out, there's one that just seems odd. Just after the boss's office,
you go left to the elevator. Except you can go right, around the big machine, and behind it into the dark. Virtually everything in this game has been laid out carefully, so why the gap? Unless it's a joke similar to the demo, where he belabored the secret little alcove that was "absolutely nothing" and that it had no significance. Alternatively, there could be a trigger back there, or it's a hiding spot to wait out in, but I haven't noticed anything.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah, the museum was really nice to wander through. A neat look into the making of the game.

Edit: I just got the
Escape Pod
ending. I think. As I walked up to it, the screen went black and a weird flickering explosion type thing appeared only in the bottom 20 pixels of my screen. I don't think it showed correctly on my computer. Then it restarted the game as usual and I'm back. Weird.

So the endings I've gotten that I can remember:
Escape Pod
Button Heaven (I guess. There doesn't seem to be anything that happens and you have to restart.)
Out the window and choose Yes
Out the window and choose No
Get crushed after choosing the Escape path on the way to the end room

There were some points where I thought it was an ending, and the game reset itself. I don't know if they count as endings though. I'd love to eventually see a complete walkthrough of every single thing you can do.

I can't remember anymore. I wish the game gave achievements for each official one just to make it easy to keep a tally.

Edit: Okay, I just found the elevator
in the room opposite of the boss's office. It doesn't seem to go anywhere, but the muzak inside it is awesome and the narrator humming along is brilliant.
Also, "Business Strategy". lol

link4117

These are the endings I've encountered. Let me know if I'm missing one and I'll add it to the list.

1. Climb through the window and No button
2. Climb through the window and Yes button
3. Stay in Stanley's room
4. Go down the escape path (Museum ending)
5. Confusion ending (Right path, left after the break room, down the lift)
6. Escape Pod ending (Back out of the boss's room before the doors lock)
7. Mind control power on (Follow the narrator's directions)
8. Mind control power off (Follow the narrator's directions)
9. Broom closet (sort of an ending)
10. White board (sort of an ending. Don't know what triggers it, I randomly happened across it)
11. Pick up the telephone after the lift (Right door, straight, ride the lift across)
12. Unplug the telephone after the lift (Right door, straight, ride the lift across)
13. Fall to your death on the lift
14. Heaven ending (4 inputs on the computers through different playthroughs, final input on Stanley's)
15. Blue door (Jump off the lift and onto the catwalk)
16. Red door (Jump off the lift and onto the catwalk)
17. Down the stairs to existential demise (Instead of up to the boss's room)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm not sure if I got an ending, but I
turned the Mind Control machine On and then failed to figure out how to disable it
. Soooooo, I dunno if that's an ending or not. Once again, this thing needs some kinds of achievement notifications to let you know.

Also, Achievements:

So who's going to be the first person to go for the "Commitment" achievement? Play the game for an entire Tuesday.

And what about the "88888888888888" one? Is the Eight game in this game somewhere? Where??!!

Oh, and the "Go Outside" one should be no fun, especially if you accidentally launch it after 4.9 years. Oops.

But I wonder if the "Unachievable" one is really unachievable.

Lastly, how do you get the "You can't jump" one?

turned the Mind Control machine On and then failed to figure out how to disable it
. Soooooo, I dunno if that's an ending or not. Once again, this thing needs some kinds of achievement notifications to let you know.

Dunno if anybody has actually figured out how to
not die after turning the Mind Control machine on.
Or if it's even possible.

In the room with that lift (just keep disobeying the narrator), fall off onto the platform below you. (Before going into the room with the phone endings.) It also leads to one of the better endings. =)

No known way to disable it, it was the same way in the original game. That is the ending, that's supposed to be the point. There doesn't have to actually be a solution to fix it, even though there's all these buttons and options and clues around to make you think there is.

And considering the achievements that are there, you think the developers would just want an achievement to be a laundry list of endings?
Ooh, did you get the Broom Closet ending?

And what about the "88888888888888" one? Is the Eight game in this game somewhere? Where??!!

There's only one place in the game with a button labeled "8" you can press. If you see that button, that's it.

But I wonder if the "Unachievable" one is really unachievable.

Some people have it. But in addition to people using Steam achievement unlocker programs, it's also rumored the developers are just randomly giving that achievement out, just enough to make people think it's possible somehow.

Keep trying to. I think that one's intended to be more instructional than an achievement.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I dunno if anybody has actually figured out how to disable it.
There seems to be a pattern. But you need to figure it out.
There's so many damn buttons.

In the room with that lift (just keep disobeying the narrator), fall off onto the platform below you. (Before going into the room with the phone endings.) It also leads to one of the better endings. =)
I did that on literally my first playthrough.
(Jumped off the moving platform lift onto the catwalk.)
No Achievement.

Also, what about
?

Everdred

I've never seen such a spoilered thread! Game seems really interesting, trying hard to save money but I'm so tempted.

sqwarlock

Some of those things like the shortened path to the two-door room are randomized from what I can tell.

If they're randomized than I got lucky. Without those "quirks", there's no way to beat the timer. Unless by randomized you mean something like you could get them earlier or later than I did.

Wait what's this I hear about being able to
climb out of a window
? How do you do that?

In order to
climb out the window you go into the first room outside stanleys office. One of the walls has two windows on it (just bright white light). Run into the chair that is pulled out a little bit from the desk that is attached to that wall and you will get up onto the desk - you probably have to try a few times to do it. Then, crouch and climb across the desk and out the window

Sanke__

So, i guess i need to buy this and quit questioning it when games jump to the top of the steam top sellers list seemingly out of nowhere.

afoni

Banned
There has to be someone who's figured out how to
'win' during the ending where the mind control machine is turned on.

Edit: I tried to cheat and the game introduced me to a new ending for trying. Haha, oh wow.

Real Hero

I got to a bit where
the second narrator after the museum tells me to quit, I waited until i was crushed. then did
would the game have carried on if I hadn't?

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
There has to be someone who's figured out how to
'win' during the ending where the mind control machine is turned on.

Edit: I tried to cheat and the game introduced me to a new ending for trying. Haha, oh wow.

Part of me thinks there's
no way to win, that being the point. I tried to cheese it and hide by the door that swings open on the other end but closes when you get close to it to see if I could slip into it before it slammed shut, but the game cleverly never opened the door at all because I was within range. There's some rafters above in that room but I feel like it's nothing more than a tease.
I would love to be wrong though!

vladdamad

In order to
climb out the window you go into the first room outside stanleys office. One of the walls has two windows on it (just bright white light). Run into the chair that is pulled out a little bit from the desk that is attached to that wall and you will get up onto the desk - you probably have to try a few times to do it. Then, crouch and climb across the desk and out the window

I'll try that, thanks!

afoni

Banned
Part of me thinks there's
no way to win, that being the point. I tried to cheese it and hide by the door that swings open on the other end but closes when you get close to it to see if I could slip into it before it slammed shut, but the game cleverly never opened the door at all because I was within range. There's some rafters above in that room but I feel like it's nothing more than a tease.
I would love to be wrong though!

I think it's not supposed to happen any other way for the sake of meaning, but I want more.

These guys need to make something new, like the Louise Fable.

maxcriden

Game looks pretty awesome! Any word on a Mac release date? I only have a lowly MacBook Air, is it going to play okay on there? Also, any outside chance of a console release?

Game looks pretty awesome! Any word on a Mac release date? I only have a lowly MacBook Air, is it going to play okay on there? Also, any outside chance of a console release?

I believe the dev said on Twitter that they are working on a Mac version, but that there are no plans for a console version.

Megasoum

Banned
I can't get the
5 Input computer thing. The most I got was 2 bars but then if I restart the input computer is never int he first 2 rooms again.

Also I got the
"1327 cardboard box"
intro lol

I now only have 3 achievements left to get... the Tuesday one, the one where I can't play for 5 years and the one impossible to get.

Megasoum

Banned
What exactly would have to change?

The third one is in the boss's office.

There's some PC specific stuff like the
cheating in the console
thing or when it asks you to
press a bunch of different keys (which I guess they could adapt to a controller but it would be somewhat limited)
. There's also some stuff that wouldn't pass in a submission with Microsoft/Sony unless they managed to get those issues individualy waved by MS/Sony. It's possible of course but not easy to do.

And thanks for the input. I know alreaedy where the last one is so I guess I just need to find the 4th one now.

Hofmann

or when it asks you to
press a bunch of different keys (which I guess they could adapt to a controller but it would be somewhat limited)

You can play it with a controller without a problem as it is right now. And the others shouldn't be a big deal to overcome as well.

Jedi2016

It's strange to think that after going through the game so many times and seeing so many different things, that there's still so much that I haven't seen.

Another Easter Egg:
There are papers on the floor in one of the underground sections (I believe in the Red/Blue door path, but I'm not sure), that are the immigration papers from Papers, Please. There's paperwork, and passports. Pretty cool!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Thank you! Any idea how taxing it might be on a basic Air?
I'll tell you this much, it runs perfectly fine (As do the Portal and HL games) on my Air under Windows in Parallels. Which is a virtual machine. So a native one should be fantastic. Whenever it comes out. I just hope they port the demo too because the two go together so well as separate entities.

Damn, so much awesome stuff in this, so many tiny changes from playthrough to playthrough. It's such a rush when a previously locked door opens, when a computer screen is displaying something different...

tesqui

so i was looking through the sound folder of the game and I found exactly 21 sound files named
"baby_xnumber". This has to do with the bit where you get presented with the "baby game" and he says to prevent it from dying for 4 hours.

I think there is actually dialogue triggers for waiting out FOUR HOURS without killing the baby.

HOLY SHIT THAT'S CRAZY.

I'm really curious to see what that entails.

I think i found an actual "Ending" Ending.
it had credits. i was in a room above the first choice, with the left and right doors, the floor was see through and there's a model of Stanley in the middle of the room below. he doesn't move and the narrator gets sad and begs for Stanley to move. then the credits roll.

Also think i got another ending,
i cant remember the steps, think it was the button pressing in your "wifes" apartment. but the screen went black, and the entire game closed out to the desktop, restarted it and got a screen with a bunch of text saying "Game made by" and in the center is "Galactic Cafe" then it returns to the main menu.

unfortunately, cant remember exactly how to replicate these endings. (second might have been the game crashing... or not. i dont know lol.)

Megasoum

Banned
here is a good chart of (found) endings and other little things so far.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/LHrOq.png

Very nice and holy shit
There's really an ending for playing 4 hours of the baby game haha

I'm still curious about the last 3 achievements I need (Unachievable, Go Outside and Commitment). Unachievable seems to be totally random.

Also there's an easter egg missing from that image.
He didn't put the 1327 cardboard boxes thing.

Hah, holy shit - I was just walking through the second office and through the window to the right
I saw someone else walking down the coridoor :O

Also, have you guys read the sheets of paper on the floor by the copier? And the diary in the Lounge? This game is incredible.

maxcriden

I'll tell you this much, it runs perfectly fine (As do the Portal and HL games) on my Air under Windows in Parallels. Which is a virtual machine. So a native one should be fantastic. Whenever it comes out. I just hope they port the demo too because the two go together so well as separate entities.

Awesome, thank you!

Top Bottom