• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The stroggos are back! (Quake 4 in PC Gamer)

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
WHOOOOOOOOOO!!! :D

pcgamer_nov04cover_1094692403.gif

On sale September 21st.
http://ve3dboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=16896651

Potentially good things:
-Quake II was great. One of my favourite single player FPS (and the deathmatch was brutal)
-Quake II "open" and "iluminated" levels > Doom 3 shitty dark tunnels
-Brutal enemies (the leaked renders were :O )

Potentially bad things:
-It is Raven. Their last real AAA was... Hexen? Good company, but it doesn't have a mindblowing track record
-Doom 3 engine. I hope this doesn't mean lots of dark spots and 25W red bulbs
-If it sucks I will cry like a little girl

Vieo

I've been hearing weird things about Quake 4. Things like some of the characters are super large, so if you have a smaller character who can go some where they can't, you can make an escape in a small corridor.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Model doesn't look as good as those in Doom 3. But then again, they may use even less geometry to keep the framerate high.

Anyone else remember the shots of the models that were leaked one or two (?!) years ago? I think they were taken down pretty quickly. The models look fine, up to the same standard of anything in Doom 3.

I have a lot of faith in Raven. They've churned out consistantly quality games over the last ten years and I think with the resources they'll have behind this project, they'll definitley rise to the occasion.

As for Quake 2 being more open and iluminated, I don't really remember that. The surface levels were no brighter than dusk and you spent a lot of time down inside the industrial guts of Stroggos.

I'd really like to see them move away from the predictable industrial rock soundtrack... It suits Quake more than Doom, but I'm really over it.

BlueLegs

You'd think they'd put a high res skin on that model, especially when they are going to put it on the cover of a magazine.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
buck naked said:
As for Quake 2 being more open and iluminated, I don't really remember that. The surface levels were no brighter than dusk and you spent a lot of time down inside the industrial guts of Stroggos.
Quake 2 was dark, but it was nothing compared with the total blackout that is Doom 3.

rage128ss3.JPG

rage128ss2.JPG

QuakeII3.JPG

It was just a graphical limitation, old computers couldn't handle complex lightning, so most games from that time were well illiuminated, even the dark ones.

Sho Nuff said:
God Quake 2's singleplayer sucked.
Yes, it sucked me IN.

BenT said:
Quake II wasn't dark; it was orange, which it proved to be far, far worse.
What the hell. Get out of this thread, you tasteless twit! ;p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm interested, I still play Quake 3 arena pretty regularly. I just played it again yesterday after an extended stint of UT, and my god, the pace is so much faster.

BenT

Funky Papa said:
What the hell. Get out of this thread, you tasteless twit! ;p
Keep it up and I'll start impugning the reputations of other colors dear to your heart.

Sho Nuff

Banned
The sound design was really poor in some areas, too. When you spotted a bad guy they'd sound like they were barfing BLEAUGH and then go WAUGH when you shot them.

The multi was pretty poor too.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The sound design was really poor in some areas, too. When you spotted a bad guy they'd sound like they were barfing BLEAUGH and then go WAUGH when you shot them.
The stroggos are cyborg zombies. You want them to read Truman Capote? :p

Damn, I loved those metalic screams.

The multi was pretty poor too.
Yeah, it was really lacking, but deathmatch was insanely fun.

Dammit Funky Papa, now you've given me a huge hard-on to play Quake 2. God I loved that game, single player and especially multiplayer. Still the best Quake of all IMHO. Quake 4 will OWN.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
ImNotLikeThem said:
Anyone else prefer it if they went back to the "medieval dungeon" style of quake 1?

I'd love a Quake I complete remake using the Doom 3 engine... but keep Quake I physics ;)

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I think I'm anticipating this game more than I did for Doom 3. Outside developers always seem to do far more creative things with id's (or should I just say Carmack's) engines than id theirselves.

Bit of a blanket statement there ted...

Half-Life is the only example I can think of, and Half-Life's only contribution was its narrative structure.

olimario

Banned
God, what terrible design.
You'd think after 3 games of this shit design they'd change SOMETHING.

And on top of that the in game model looks like he's made of plastic. :(

buck naked said:

Half-Life is the only example I can think of, and Half-Life's only contribution was its narrative structure.

and it was bits of code from both quake engines + valves stuff

buck naked said:

No, he's almost entirely correct.

While Quake 2 certainly was a good single player game, the basic id cyber dungeon motiff ran through as it does every other id title since Doom, though it was a bit more industrial here. It was a perfectly good single player game with good multi thrown in as well

But Raven has taken that same Q2 tech and made modern military and fantasy. Then they added Star Wars and Star Trek with the Q3 engine. Of course, some of these titles did not play much different than Q2, but both Heretic 2 and Jedi Academy were practically console-like in their 3rd person action.

As far as Half-Life, you need to play that again if you think immersed narrative was its only contribution. From the way they break up levels to the synthesised voice announcing over the loudspeakers, there was a lot new there. NPCs, recharge stations, convincing vehicles, and different enemy factions that fight each other. Plus the fact the the HL engine was more Valve than id, it's the only Quake\id related title to support D3D you know.

None of this would be possible with id, but as Carmack himself very recently stated, he sees himself as more of a "problem solver." He is bilding solutions, and he expects others to make great products with them.

ArcadeStickMonk said:
No, he's almost entirely correct.

He said that developers 'always' seem to do more creative things, which is definitley not true. There are examples, yes, but it is definitley not the norm.

Modern military was done before Soldier of Fortune, the Jedi games are sequels to non-id engine FPSs and if 'more creative' means 'used to make a licence game', I guess we can include the totally derivative Elite Force as 'more creative than id themselves'.

Gameplay is not watching scripted events play out, nor does out-doing id involve providing a sequel to an established game or genre of games.

Onto Half-Life: The way they did the levels and the loudspeakers are all apart of the narrative structure. Half-Life did not have convincing vehicles and enemies have attacked each other from Doom onwards (also, gameplay is not watching scripted events play out).

Don't misunderstand me, I'm mostly arguing semantics here, but I wish developers did MORE creative things with id's engines. There are two limiting factors here:

First, id's engines aren't cheap, so developers/publishers play it safe with their investment. Second, id's engines are designed for a specific purpose. Devating too far from that purpose isn't really feasible.

ok, but I still think Half-Life deserves more props.

Those damn helicpters were very convincing to me, and I don't think were really topped until Far Cry. And while Doom enemies fight each other when they cross their lines of fire, HL has different classes of enemies that view each other as a big a threat as the player, and fought with completely different tactics. This wasn't done well again until, Halo.

When I played again last year I was taken aback at how Valve really went the entra mile to make the game seems alive. Maybe I get more out of a creepy computer voice than most people but it really feels different than the typical bits that Raven and more recently id themselves use where you walk into an area, something quick happens, and then you go your way. Maybe we just need to describe it a bit richer than simply "narrative." As you said, scripted bits aren't gameplay, they are merely presentation, but Half-Life had some mean presentation.

I really hope the sequel ups the ante just as much.

ImNotLikeThem said:
Anyone else prefer it if they went back to the "medieval dungeon" style of quake 1?

Only if they went back to the original version of Quake, when it had a much more medieval feel, complete with flying dragons overhead, and one of your weapons was a huge hammer. I remember seeing those screenshots in Next Generation and thinking "God, this game is going to be awesome." By the time the actual game came out, I was sorely disappointed.

Also, seeing those Q2 screenshots made me remember just how freaking awesome it was that in June of '98 when I got my Voodoo 2 (had to hunt one down in several stores, it had just come out that same week), and I played Quake 2 with hardware acceleration... Oh God, it was heavenly. That was the best thing ever, to go from playing Q2 in software mode, to fully 3D accelerated. It was one of the biggest transitions in graphics for PCs, and video games in general, at that point right there.

Top Bottom