• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tearoom (historical public bathroom simulator) is undeniably a work of art

I came across this writeup tonight and just had to share it with you all.

The Tearoom as a record of risky business

tearoom_media3.jpg

The Tearoom is a historical public bathroom simulator about anxiety, police surveillance, and sucking off other dudes' guns. In it, you basically cruise other willing strangers for sex, and try to have some fun without getting caught by undercover police. It's heavily inspired by Laud Humphreys' epic Tearoom Trade (1970), a meticulous 180 page sociological study of men who have quick anonymous sex with men in public bathrooms ("tearooms" in US, "cottages" in UK), along with interviews, diagrams, and derived "rules" for participating in the tearoom trade.

My game is set in a small roadside public bathroom in Ohio in 1962. Much of the game sequences and gameplay are based on Humphreys' notes (in his book, Humphreys even calls it a "game" himself) and the layout of the bathroom is based partly on diagrams from his observation reports. And while I wanted the game to be about gay history, I also wanted it to speak to how video games think of sex and violence.

Few video games feature peeing or pooping, but still frequently feature bathrooms for the sake of completeness. To make the bathroom "useful", level designers often stash powerups or ventilation ducts or forgotten keycards in them, but those are all secondary to the bathroom's ultimate function in a video game: to signal expense and production value. In immersive sims like Deus Ex Human Revolution or Prey (2017), the player can turn on showers and flush toilets, and each fixture sports a complex effects setup with swirling particles and refracting water shaders. This "wasteful" use of draw calls and texture memory helps assure you of the game's high budget and huge production team. (For more on the expense of video game water, see Pippin Barr's water museum "v r 3".)

In The Tearoom, I replicate the logic of the pointless expensive video game bathroom. I gratuitously cover every surface with high resolution physically-based materials, apply layers of dirt and grunge decals, lightmap the room at a high luxel density, and incorporate unique period details like vintage light switches and old faucets. I also hand-modeled the Cadillac of urinals, a luxurious drop-floor "Hinsdale", scaled to the original patent drawings... I even do one better than most AAA video games, and allow the player to freely urinate as much as they like. (However, the urine does pool rather unrealistically, to exaggerate the complexity of my flushing simulation.)

Inside the magic membrane of the tearoom, there were big risks to propositioning the wrong guy for sex, whether he's totally unwitting or actively hostile. It was very important to figure out who thought it was just a bathroom vs. who knew it was a tearoom. To help players see each other, tearooms evolved a complex ritual / "handshake" of certain stances and eye contact and "showing hard" over time, allowing players to wordlessly "seal the contract" (sexual consent) quickly and effectively.

In my game, I mimic this same look-based ritual for the first phase of every encounter. To establish shared sexual interest, the player and NPC must repeatedly make eye contact. If the player is slow, the NPC coughs to try to get the player's attention; if the player never reciprocates the gaze, then the NPC eventually leaves. Some NPCs are totally oblivious bystanders who will leave right after they pee, while some timid NPCs scare easily from forceful eye contact.

This is the part of the game when you suck-off a gun as quickly as possible, which, um, departs a bit from Humphreys' 1970 sociological study. My design emerged from a difficult problem: how do you give first person fellatio in a game? As an experienced real-life practitioner, it is my opinion that video games can't do this justice because a blurry appendage thrusting toward you, clipping through the camera, is not erotic, and such a literal approach would've been inscrutable and disappointing. Instead, I wanted a bit more of the fantasy, to show the excitement and pleasure and why these men would seek each other out in a public bathroom.

But what is the LGBTQ community's relationship to violence? Historically, cops have been perhaps the #1 most dangerous enemy of gay / trans / queer people for decades, and continue to target gay people today: in 2016, the Toronto Police started "Project Marie" to target gay men who cruised parks late at night; and since at least 2004 and continuing today, the NYPD have been targeting men at the Port Authority who "seem gay", spying on them through slits in bathroom stalls and charging them with "public indecency." (Isn't going to the Port Authority already punishment enough?

In the game, the random percentage chance of encountering a black man is based on 1960 US census data. According to page 1-44 of "General Demographic Trends for Metropolitan Areas, 1960-1970", Mansfield was about 5.82% black (6853 / 117761) and so, I have hardcoded that exact probability into the game. That relatively rarity means that some players may play through 5-10 encounters before meeting a black man, and when they do, I imagine white players may feel surprised -- and then maybe feel bad for feeling surprised -- and then wonder whether he's secretly a cop -- but then were there any black cops in Ohio in 1962? etc.

The tearoom represents an exciting and radical reclamation of public space, for members of the public who usually aren't allowed any space of their own. Humphreys used the phrase "patterns of collective action" to refer to these dudes bonking each other, but to me that phrase also has a political tinge that reminds us how the tearoom is / was also a collective of white and black men, working class and middle class men, and straight and gay men... uh, bonking each other.

But if there's any simple moral to be gleaned from this game, I just hope you never look at a bathroom, or park, or office, or shopping mall, etc. the same way ever again. Above all, the tearoom is about transforming the world around you by seeing (creative, erotic) potential in every corner and crevice. Even if you're not a sex-with-men-haver, how can you remap your world to strengthen your community? All you need is some willing players.

Maybe the tearoom is just the beginning.

Much, much more at the link.

danmaku

That's... not what I expected from the thread title. But interesting nonetheless. I love seeing how different games can be when devs try to move away from standard game designs.

Pretty neat concept. I always liked the idea of using games as a way to make some sort of sociological or political statement through the player's actions/reactions (in the "what does you doing this action or reacting this way say about you?" sense) rather than through a narrative pushed onto the viewer.

TheSun

Like the cut of this guys jib.

This was a fascinating read and kind of an awesome experiment.

I might actually look into this and the research involved.

Mariolee

Watched the gameplay demo and was shocked to see a literal gun shaped cock. After reading the entire article it makes sense though, and the statement amount using unseeming areas around you and reforming them to strengthen your own community is very inspiring.

Haunted

Robert Yang is a good dude doing good things for representation in video games and pretty much every project of his as done a tremendous job of actively pushing the games as study/performance/art angle forward.

Awesome.

Is this by the same guy who did that spanking simulator and the "Give your gearshift a handjob" game?

Edit: Why yes, yes it is. *Downloads the hell out of it and donates money to make more of these*

mclem

This strikes me as something that would be elevated to another level in VR.

When your eye contact is actually eye contact...

Jackano

Looks like a great work around a very specific situation which should be a small part of true AAA pr0n games, if only the VG industry weren't decades behind in this genre.

Also the guy in the 1st screenshot looks a bit like Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

You arent seeing penises in a Switch game, people. Lol

All the penises have been replaced with guns to make it more family friendly.

I still have to deal with Twitch banning my gay games by secret trial as if they're the fucking game police. So to appease this oppressive conservative gamer-surveillance complex, I have swapped out any pesky penises in my game for the only thing that the game industry will never moderate nor ban -- guns. Now, there's nothing wrong with guys appreciating other guys' guns, right?

Flipyap

Can I get a penis mod for this? I really don't want to lick a stranger's gun. I mean, who knows where it's been?

All the penises have been replaced with guns to make it more family friendly.
I still have to deal with Twitch banning my gay games by secret trial as if they're the fucking game police. So to appease this oppressive conservative gamer-surveillance complex, I have swapped out any pesky penises in my game for the only thing that the game industry will never moderate nor ban -- guns. Now, there's nothing wrong with guys appreciating other guys' guns, right?

That's a great response and the game sounds very interesting. Why is it free though?

Vice

That's a great response and the game sounds very interesting. Why is it free though?

It's not the type of game that people will likely buy or may be more apprehensive about trying if it had a cost attached. He has a donation system in place for people if they want to support.

It's not the type of game that people will likely buy or may be more apprehensive about trying if it had a cost attached. He has a donation system in place for people if they want to support.

I see, thanks. Will probably give this a try soon.

SomTervo

This looks amazing, thanks for the share OP.

Absolutely fantastic, we need about a thousand times more projects like this in gaming.

From a blog post titled Lol we're all poor

I give away my gay sex games for free because (a) they're short-form games in a market that demands "replay value" even though people don't even touch most of their Steam libraries, (b) I don't want to invest all my time and hope into commercializing it, just to earn like $5k a year if I'm lucky, which does not go far in NYC, (c) when an indie game has poor sales, then that often becomes the game's entire legacy forever. I don't want the conversation around my games to orbit around the awkward pity of my SteamSpy numbers! To me, there's a certain peace of mind in not trying to make the next gay sex minecraft blockbuster happen.

And yes this is totally a weird defense mechanism on my part. I understand that everyone has a different living situation, and I'm not holding myself up as a role-model to emulate. We all have different ways of working in games, but personally I feel like I can't access the same tools or methods as successful commercial devs, so why should I bother trying? If Cliff Harris and Greg Wohlwend can barely make it work, what chance do I have?... I want you to understand why I ask this question:

Why is it so important for us to make our living from selling our games? Why can't we make our living from doing something else?

If he set his mind to it, he probably really could make something amazing and long-ish form. His stuff seems pretty dang impressive coming from a one-man studio.

In immersive sims like Deus Ex Human Revolution or Prey (2017), the player can turn on showers and flush toilets, and each fixture sports a complex effects setup with swirling particles and refracting water shaders. This "wasteful" use of draw calls and texture memory helps assure you of the game's high budget and huge production team.

No it doesn't, you shitbird. It is there because THEY'RE SIMULATING A WORLD. And worlds have toilets and sinks that turn on and can be flushed. That is why they're there. They're not there to impress you, they're there because that is the entire purpose of what the game is trying to do.

...sorry I hate it when people criticize Deus Ex, which is the best game ever, so their indie gross sex simulator looks smarter. You'd be surprised how often this happens.

Gross because it is between random people that don't know each other in a random bathroom. Learn about diseases god damn.

No it doesn't, you shitbird. It is there because THEY'RE SIMULATING A WORLD. And worlds have toilets and sinks that turn on and can be flushed. That is why they're there. They're not there to impress you, they're there because that is the entire purpose of what the game is trying to do.

...sorry I hate it when people criticize Deus Ex, which is the best game ever, so their indie gross sex simulator looks smarter. You'd be surprised how often this happens.

Gross because it is between random people that don't know each other in a random bathroom. Learn about diseases god damn.

What a level headed response.

Yes I would be. Please tell me how many other games about sex in marginalized communities level criticism at Deus Ex.

The argument that (otherwise useless) flushing toilets are an important part of simulating a world is completely ridiculous when you consider all the other mundane things that aren't simulated in Deus Ex, Prey, or pretty much any game with the useless flushing toilet.

Hey you quoted one of the best parts of that article

sono

Gold Member
Amazing game.

I live in the UK, I was wondering why I was getting funny looks inviting my American friends to the local tearoom.

I'd bet my account that Warren Spector himself would disagree.

Guess you're not so on-board with worlds being simulated when they're true to life? Lmao at your uncalled for anger

What a level headed response.
Yes I would be. Please tell me how many other games about sex in marginalized communities level criticism at Deus Ex.

I'm pretending to be overheated about a minor comment about toilets for humorous effect. And because it annoys me.

The argument that (otherwise useless) flushing toilets are an important part of simulating a world is completely ridiculous when you consider all the other mundane things that aren't simulated in Deus Ex, Prey, or pretty much any game with the useless flushing toilet.

They can't simulate everything, but there are many many parts to those games that have no-to-little impact on gameplay, purely for the purpose of immersion and world building. They are designed to be as good a simulation of an area and situation as they can. Their purpose is not, as the author states, to show off their budget (which is only mentioned because the author wants to impress with how tiny their own budget is), but rather to serve the game's primary function of 'simulation'.

If the author wouldn't knock things he clearly doesn't understand about a sadly rare game design philosophy I won't have to make posts calling him a shitbird.

Guess you're not so on-board with worlds being simulated when they're true to life? Lmao at your uncalled for anger

The game itself is an exceptional premise. I take issue only with the words here on a supposed conflicting design philosophy.

edit:
..I'd bet my account that Warren Spector himself would disagree.
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-designer...-stories-about-making-pcs-most-complex-games/

Warren Spector: .. When I look at what games can do that other media can't, I instantly go right to the immersive sim. That sort of real-time you are there, nothing stands between you and belief that you're in an alternate world... but we're the first mainstream medium that can actually do that. And the immersive sim is the perfect way to do it.

Your account :O

edit:

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-designer...-stories-about-making-pcs-most-complex-games/

Warren Spector: .. When I look at what games can do that other media can't, I instantly go right to the immersive sim. That sort of real-time you are there, nothing stands between you and belief that you're in an alternate world... but we're the first mainstream medium that can actually do that. And the immersive sim is the perfect way to do it.

Your account :O

That quote sure is even remotely relevant to contradicting Yang's insights about bathrooms' function in high-budget games.
You should play The Tearoom. It's an immersive sim of its own sort.

Top Bottom