• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Trump Effect: Swedish politician fired after insulting minister on live broadcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazygecko

http://www.thelocal.se/20161117/politician-calls-minister-whore-in-live-youtube-clip

A centre-right politician landed himself in hot water after he called a Swedish minister a 'whore' in front of a camera, without realizing that the entire video was being streamed live to YouTube.

In the clip, Haffo refers to a Twitter argument that started when Social Service Minister Annika Strandhäll commented on a friend's Facebook page last week after they joked that men's voting rights should be withdrawn after Donald Trump was elected as the next US president.

"I have also had that thought, I should admit," wrote Strandhäll at the time.

In the video, which has since been removed from YouTube, Haffo turns to the camera and says: "Annika Strandhäll, it was not okay to joke about men's right to vote. Go to hell, you whore."

Speaking to the Dagens Nyheter newspaper on Thursday afternoon, the party leader of the Moderates, Anna Kinberg Batra, condemned the comments.

"It is completely unacceptable," she said. "It is not funny. This sort of thing should not happen."

"Actually, it's quite simple. You may criticize your opponents for politics that's wrong or when ministers do the wrong thing, but you must never make foul comments to other people or cross the line – regardless of the party who does it. There's too much of that at the moment, I think."

The communications chief also resigned in the political aftermath.

Can you really call it a Trump effect? Aren't most politicians in Sweden upset by his victory with the exception of the Sweden Democrats?

How is Jimmie Åkesson responding to Trump's win?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Mmm the next four years are going to be reminiscent of the Bush years aren't they?

We're the heel of the world again!

Call in to question a joke about male voting, a vile, evil act.

Call her a fucking whore in response, nothing. It's expected.

Glad dude got fired. Sets the tone.

Wolfe

I can only hope that the real "trump effect" is that people stop entertaining this bullshit and treat it accordingly more often (as was seen with this case).

lazygecko

I think this only counts as the Trump Effect if they handed him the highest office in the land afterwards.

I think it's more about the shift in the general level of discourse. There's also been loose speculation that this was a planned deliberate stunt in order to pick up points with the alt right crowd. The party's digital communication staff was accused of mobilizing online trolls shortly before the incident.

Worst part is reading the comments on social media with men saying that she was as much in the wrong for making the joke.

I'm glad though many commenters in Sweden are able to distinguish the two, and see the joke in the correct context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom