• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Umbrella Academy | Final Season | Official Trailer | Netflix | August 8

Rockondevil

Trailer got me keen. Always enjoyed the umbrella academy.
It’s been a minute but I don’t remember liking the third season quite as much, but I’m absolutely here for the finale.

Please be great.

Hrk69

Gold Member
Meh Episode 4 GIF by America's Got Talent

Lambogenie

Thought it ended fine and conclusively.

Good show overall. Elliot Page as a casting and Allison's character is probably the most annoying thing though.

After reading the comments sections on Season 4 YouTube videos, it seems the consensus is that 1-2 were great, 3 Problematic but still okay, and 4 pissed off 3/4 of the audience.
I’m not invested in UA but family is and they basically hated it. So another finale let down I guess…

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I started watching but quit after the 1st episode.
Even with the recap it's been too long and I'm just lost & not interested anymore 🫤

Valonquar

The entire 4th season is complete dogshit. 6 episodes instead of 10 meant a lot of jarring out of character moments, plot points that made zero sense, plotholes and unfinished story threads, and a completely terrible executed "bittersweet" ending. The Gene\Jean duo felt kind of clumsy and they didn't really have enough time to develop into actual villain characters, so overall it just felt like some weird cringe fan-service cameo distraction more than anything else. The subway affair plot was just offensively out of character. David Cross was also just sort of there as David Cross and felt equally dumb.

Fixing the problem by erasing the character\s from existence was done MUCH better in Legion.

ShadowNate

This was a low effort on almost all fronts.

Really felt like they fed some AI script generator a few starting pointers and then went with the drivel output.

Probably a low budget issue (it really shows in the visual effects), but come on, if you're doing a send-off season, this is a by the numbers what-not-to-do.

Valonquar

There was a thread on the subreddit where someone had ChatGPT make a 4th season with episode synopsis and it was better sounding than what we got.

Season 4 was crap. The whole story didn't make any sense. Just a series of random scenes stitched together.
The only characters that were somewhat entertaining were Five and Klaus.
Once again the actors playing them (especially Five's actor) proved that they can produce decent results even with crap script.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Sounds like i can ignore the last season. The last one I saw was Season 3 and I didn't really like it.

bitbydeath

Agreed that it felt rushed, and a few topics they should have addressed they didn’t address.

It wasn’t slow or boring though so could have been worse.

Durien

Agreed that it felt rushed, and a few topics they should have addressed they didn’t address.

It wasn’t slow or boring though so could have been worse.
In the comic, they fight a bunch of stuff and I wish they would have shown some of those fights. They already deviated from the comic with the cleanse, so why not have them fight in these alternate realities. If I remember right, in the comic, they just ran into the sparrow academy.

bitbydeath

In the comic, they fight a bunch of stuff and I wish they would have shown some of those fights. They already deviated from the comic with the cleanse, so why not have them fight in these alternate realities. If I remember right, in the comic, they just ran into the sparrow academy.
They ran into the Sparrows on the show when trying to find their way back but they were the younger versions of them, and the scene didn’t last very long.

I saw the first episode so far and I'm enjoying it, but there is some weird ADR'ing happening with some of the voices. I hope they manage to fix this because it sounds bad, like you can hear the re-recorded lines and the difference in audio levels kind of bad.

Fbh

Wasn't terrible but wasn't good either.
I agree it felt rushed and by the end a lot of the story threads felt pointless, though admittedly that has been a bit of a theme with this show after the first season. I don't hate the ending but they really needed another 1 or 2 episodes to really pull it off everyone accepted the idea of dying way too fast, IMO. Specially the characters with kids

Lets be honest. The show turned weird once the writers were forced to change the character that trooned out in real life.

While it was probably a burden on the writers, I don't think Eliot was the main issue with the show. Hell this season his gender was basically irrelevant.
That said it was kinda funny how in the first episode they seriously tried to sell that he hooked up with every girl in the town where he moved in. I'm sure all the girls were falling over this unattractive, skinny, 5ft tall androgynous looking dude that came into town

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
That said it was kinda funny how in the first episode they seriously tried to sell that he hooked up with every girl in the town where he moved in. I'm sure all the girls were falling over this unattractive, skinny, 5ft tall androgynous looking dude that came into town
That felt incredibly forced and silly.
At least he finally got more of a man voice now.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Man what a wet fart of an ending. Like they ran out of funding and just had to end it quick.
The series was solid overall albeit inconsistent with quality.

Season 1 was really fun.

A very Supernatural-style ending of ‘If we erase it all there’s no possible way they can ask for another season.’ It was alright.

It was at least fun to see the gang again. Also, this man deserves more roles:

then-what-number-five.gif

He arguably carried the entire show with such immense acting talent at a young age.

YCoCg

It felt like Season 3 should've been the ending and then they just wanted to milk it, season 4 felt like such a pointless boring mess.

taizuke

I've been rewatching season one and not only is it leaps and bounds better than than whatever the heck was the final season, i'm also reminded of how good Ellen Page was as Vanya. I find myself looking forward to her scenes the most. Can be a toss up between Five and her, but the entire cast is great.

It's really something because as Viktor all that is gone in my opinion. She's the least interesting character and performer after the transition.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Wasn't terrible but wasn't good either.
I agree it felt rushed and by the end a lot of the story threads felt pointless, though admittedly that has been a bit of a theme with this show after the first season. I don't hate the ending but they really needed another 1 or 2 episodes to really pull it off everyone accepted the idea of dying way too fast, IMO. Specially the characters with kids

While it was probably a burden on the writers, I don't think Eliot was the main issue with the show. Hell this season his gender was basically irrelevant.
Yeah someone changing gender in this show is minor. The main issue is that it was so rushed, but that obviously wasn't a narrative choice.

Just finished S4, and I have a theory...
...that the sacred timeline is our timeline, real life. The actors are the "canon" versions of the characters, and The Cleanse is the ending of the show. If they avoid The Cleanse, the show goes on for another season with another apocalypse. The only way to stop the apocalypses from happening is to end the show, i.e. let The Cleanse win.

Last edited:
Top Bottom