• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rewatching last years Nintendo conference. Man, they dedicated a good 16 minutes to Zelda at the beginning. It didn't feel that long last year, but man, it drags.

I hope they don't waste time like that this year. 20 minutes on 3DS, 40 on Wii U. No messing around.

That they are streaming not only the N-Conf but also the separate Software Showcase and Roundtable (and also doing that interview with the hardware producer in some unknown format) probably bodes well for their pacing.

edit: On second thought, if they reserve all their software stuff for the Showcase and all their hardware stuff for the hardware interview and all additional features for the Roundtable, the Conference itself could just be Reggie standing there for an hour, brushing his teeth.

Cabbie said:
Errr, why? We've heard nothing to the contrary, they could very well have changed it for the show. Just like the analogs.
People in the know talked about things like changes to the slide pads and shoulder buttons, but nobody talked about a hard drive coming in.
I'd be really disappointed if this desire to have a small console comes before including a standard feature of gaming consoles.
In both of the last two gens, only 1 out of 3 consoles had hard drive standard.

Just had a small idea, felt the urge to write it somewhere

Mario Aquarium !

You'll have an underwater Super Mario Bros Level with HD graphics, photorealistic fishes, jellyfishes, seaweed, a lot of bubbles + soothing sea sounds (of waves and small movements in the water, etc.) rendered on the padlet hold vertically on a stand, a real little aquarium put in your bedside table, to chill out and sleep well.

+ an aquatic ambiance (DKC) like music! that would be fantastic...

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Do you think Reggie would be permitted to know about the secret Wii U games that are in development? Is Nintendo a "need to know baisis, only" kind of operation?

Oddduck

Maybe one of those super long names is Star Fox X Metroid : Fusion Saga.

One of those I'm confident is New Super Mario Bros Mii or whatever they decide to call it.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Maybe one of those super long names is Star Fox X Metroid : Fusion Saga.

One of those I'm confident is New Super Mario Bros Mii or whatever they decide to call it.

But but, but! Nintendo's going to use a 2D side-scroller to launch their first HD console? That's r̸̵͖͉͓̥̦ͯ̉ͨ͛̆̆̑̈ͪ̎̒̐̂̒̑̔̿̂͘͟.

Maybe those three blocks represent the 3 games which comprise the entire launch line up!

What, they did it with N64. Or was that 2 games?

Pilotwings and Mario 64. I remember it because when I went to pick up my N64 there was someone buying an N64 and only Pilotwings for their kid. Blew my mind.

Pilotwings and Mario 64. I remember it because when I went to pick up my N64 there was someone buying an N64 and only Pilotwings for their kid. Blew my mind.
I guess 2 launch games is fine when one is Mario 64.

Wikipedia tells me the Japanese launch also had a Shogi (Japanese chess) game. It sold one copy for every 100 consoles sold, lol.

Oddduck

Eternal darkness 2 fits in one of the spaces.

According to MikeE in the other thread,

The second one is 27 spaces

That would fit into:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii U

or

Starfox Metroid Fusion Saga

I wonder if Pikmin 3 will get a subtitle to make the title longer.

Eternal darkness 2 fits in one of the spaces.

According to MikeE in the other thread,

The second one is 27 spaces

That would fit into:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii U

or

Starfox Metroid Fusion Saga

I wonder if Pikmin 3 will get a subtitle to make the title longer.
So you are assuming each line is one title, so the Wii-U will only have three launch titles?

I guess 2 launch games is fine when one is Mario 64.

Yeah, Game Informer recently did an issue where they rated the console launches and they gave the N64 an A-. It's hard to disagree with because of M64's quality. The SNES (A-) and NES (A) were the only tow other consoles that they gave A's to.

thefro

So you are assuming each line is one title, so the Wii-U will only have three launch titles?

That's pretty typical in terms of first-party games for the actual launch date (not "launch window"). There will be a lot of other 3rd party games, obviously

I would expect Nintendo titles to roll out regularly after launch.

Yeah, Game Informer recently did an issue where they rated the console launches and they gave the N64 an A-. It's hard to disagree with because of M64's quality. The SNES (A-) and NES (A) were the only tow other consoles that they gave A's to.
Sounds interesting, do you have a link to that article? :)

That's pretty typical in terms of first-party games for the actual launch date (not "launch window"). There will be a lot of other 3rd party games, obviously

I would expect Nintendo titles to roll out regularly after launch.
Nintendo didn't say anything about first-party games. It says "Guess what the initial game releases will be for Nintendo's new home console, Wii U". That isn't vague, it's clearly a list of the initial game releases. If they had meant only first-party titles, it would have been something like "Guess what our initial game releases will be" or "Guess what Nintendo's initial Wii U game releases will be".

test_account

XP-39C²
I think that it would be smart of Nintendo to release a Nintendo branded WiiU harddrive, especially if they are going to push DD sales. Companies already sells official HDMI cables.

Seriously? I'd give the Dreamcast launch an A just for having so many genres represented. And for Power Stone.

I know it wasn't like this at last E3, but I'm hoping the Wii-U will have a chamber in it for an optional hard drive hooked up via SATA. It's so cool that you can swap out your PS3 drive with any drive you want (and I'm definitely going to be getting a hard drive for my Wii-U, I plan on buying as many games through Direct Download as possible).

wsippel

Banned
I know it wasn't like this at last E3, but I'm hoping the Wii-U will have a chamber in it for an optional hard drive hooked up via SATA. It's so cool that you can swap out your PS3 drive with any drive you want (and I'm definitely going to be getting a hard drive for my Wii-U, I plan on buying as many games through Direct Download as possible).
Well, the system does have a SATA2 controller. But I guess an eSATA port on the back would be more likely (and still very, very unlikely).

Now is the Official Wii U Facebook page trying to tell us something...

nintendosnewtrollinginitiative.jpg

Okay, so now we know that the Wii U will have at least three games. Here they are with the character counts in parentheses.

▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒​▒▒▒ (34)
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ (27)
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ (19)

Here are example games (confirmed, rumoured or damnit Crytek give me the goods!) with character counts in parentheses:

Code:
Dragon Quest X: The Five Awakening Races Online (47)
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒​▒▒▒ (34)
Marvel Avengers: Battle for Earth (33)
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Online (31)
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2 (30)
Killer Freaks from Outer Space (30)
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge (28)
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ (27)
Avengers: Battle for Earth (26)
New Super Mario Bros. Mii (25)
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (25)
Aliens: Colonial Marines (24)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (23)
Dragon Quest X Online (21)
Assassin’s Creed III (20)
▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒ (19)
[b]Batman: Arkham City (19)[/b]
[b]NASCAR: Inside Line (19)[/b]
Concept Grand Prix (18)
Cloudberry Kingdom (18)
Ghost Recon Online (18)
LEGO City Stories (17)
TimeSplitters 4 (15)
Dragon Quest X (14)
Marvel Pinball (14)
Pinball Arcade (14)
Rayman Legends (14)
Darksiders 2 (12)
Project CARS (12)

Anything to add?

(mind, this assumes that spaces are counted)

edit: Based on the above, I'm guessing that two of the games to be scratched off are Arkham City and Avengers. More likely, though, they're not character-length-accurate and we'll find that Nintendo will unveil it the day before their conference, right after Ubisoft announces all three (since we know Ubi has that special permission).

edit²: Yeah, I guess first party titles are super likely. But that'd mean that we won't get any scratch-off until after the conference, which is pretty boring.

IdeaMan

My source is my ass!
I assume that your sources are Ubi related. I hope you can continue to share more insight after the big reveals next week. Do you think you will be able share more personal perspectives on the WiiU development then?

Also, thanks for spreading out your "infos" and keeping the thread interesting (even though it made me want to stab some people posting the same questions/hate).

No Ubi is too obvious sorry :p

And thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom