• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wii U Speculation Thread VI: The Undiscovered Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Battalion Wars 3 for Wii U developed by Headstrong, perhaps with some help from another developer or possibly an internal team within Nintendo to make sure the game shines and is able to improve upon the first two.

I immediately thought about this, but honestly just kind of brushed it off as not happening, but it does fit the controller PERFECTLY. In the last thread I think we talked a little bit about this. Control your troops on the uPad while you play in the action on the television screen would be great.

IGN posted its Pre E3 Nintendo podcast. Large list of guests but cant bring myself to listen

http://wii.ign.com/articles/122/1224945p1.html

Audrey "It's Seriously Not a Thing!" Drake
Rich "Papa Koopa" George
Sam "BAM!" Claiborn.

Other guest podcasters include:

Brian "Bringing Brappy Back" Altano
Keza "Pip Pip" MacDonald
Fran "DON'T TOUCH THE HAIR" Mirabella
Peer "Hylian Hero" Schneider
Jeremy "1Up Overlord" Parish
Mike "Watch Cheap, Cool, Crazy on START!" Zipkin
Andrew "The Soup-inator" Goldfarb
Colin "He Only Does Everything" Moriarty
Greg "The Thriller" Miller

I'm in such an E3 mood right now that I may listen. Wish me luck.

Zero148

Battalion Wars 3 for Wii U developed by Headstrong, perhaps with some help from another developer or possibly an internal team within Nintendo to make sure the game shines and is able to improve upon the first two.

a new Battalion wars must be announced for WiiU, it just makes sense. The Controller fits perfect for a RTS like gameplay on the controller with touch controls and third person shooter on the TV. See where your units need help on the map and take control of them to get right into the action.

Online one person would be the master of a team with enhanced RTS controls and unit managment, the rest of the team controls the units which aren't bots (it wouldn't work without bots).

It sounds just too good to be true imo

PogiJones

Banned
This is a little random, but I have to say that GamePlayWhore is the best OP-updater ever. He should run every news thread.

EDIT: By OP, I actually mean his updates post on the first page. But you know what I mean.

japtor

I immediately thought about this, but honestly just kind of brushed it off as not happening, but it does fit the controller PERFECTLY. In the last thread I think we talked a little bit about this. Controller your troops on the uPad while you play in the action on the television screen would be great.
I brought up an asymmetrical play idea for it a while back I think, player with the tablet can focus on being field general controlling the whole battlefield while players on TV can be normal troops/pawns.

Terrell

Amusement Vision doesn't exist anymore, pretty much all the teams from those days were dismantled and reorganized into generic numbered teams a few years back iirc.

Dumbest thing Sega did. Their teams used to take pride in their creations. Look at them now, I doubt they could say the same with the exception of Nagoshi and his love of criminal activity sims in Yakuza.

Mind you, I've also advocated naming the teams in Nintendo's EAD and SPD divisions. Everyone knows what kind of great output HAL and Intelligent Systems and Monolith are capable of, but to figure out who's great in the other divisions and what they make, you need a damned flow-chart.

remember guys

LAsX1.jpg

we might actually see games that look like this

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I immediately thought about this, but honestly just kind of brushed it off as not happening, but it does fit the controller PERFECTLY. In the last thread I think we talked a little bit about this. Control your troops on the uPad while you play in the action on the television screen would be great.

What have Headstrong released recently?
The last game of theirs I can remember was a kind of Battalion Wars-ish Lord of the Rings game for Wii and PS3, and that was at least 18 months ago and not necessarily a game that requires their entire studio to make...

Zero148

I brought up an asymmetrical play idea for it a while back I think, player with the tablet can focus on being field general controlling the whole battlefield while players on TV can be normal troops/pawns.

just give it a good production value, heavy marketing and Nintendo has its own very awesome battlefield with RTS elements

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
remember guys

LAsX1.jpg

You will. But I think Nintendo wanted to make that clear. You will see HD Wii style games and billion dollar development cost games like that Zelda teaser. Anything with Miis will obviously not look like Uncharted.

What have Headstrong released recently?
The last game of theirs I can remember was a kind of Battalion Wars-ish Lord of the Rings game for Wii and PS3, and that was at least 18 months ago and not necessarily a game that requires their entire studio to make...

Battalion Wars is probably as good as dead. The next Nintendo/Headstrong game will probably be more Art Academys. The $$$ maker.

Thraktor

You absolutely do.

NSMB team (2009) ---> NSMB Mii, NSMB 2
Wii Sports Resort Team (2009) ----> Mii Something and another Mii Something?
Big Brain Academy (2007) / New Play Control Pikmin (2008) -----------? Pikmin 3
Animal Crossing Team -----> More Animal Crossing

EAD Tokyo Group No. 1 ------> Mysterious Project??
EAD Tokyoi Group No. 2-----> This is the galaxy team.. and you will have to wait to see something. Too much mario from the guys above.
Nintendo SPD / Wii Relax -------> It lives????
Nintendo SPD / WarioWare --------> Maybe?????

RetroStudios ---------> Probably Metroid Prime.. without the Metroid and more sales
NST -----------> A game for 3DS or Wii U

And more first-party games from other developers ;)

The thing is that there's a lot of maybes in there. For instance I'm sort of expecting something like a FPS from Retro, but I don't really know what to expect in terms of setting (probably sci-fi, but that's a broad category) or mechanics, or use of the Wii U pad. Similarly with Monolith, they're probably working on an RPG, but that doesn't exactly narrow it down much. I'm actually quite happy to leave a lot of surprises for the conference itself, there's something exciting about being shown new game after new game after new game.

Actually, as you mentioned it above, I have a question for you. I had assumed, given they've gone so long without releasing anything substantial, that EAD Tokyo Group 1 is a very small team, probably working on prototypes for the Wii U (perhaps Mario prototypes), while most of the Tokyo staff have been with Group 2, working on Galaxy 2 and 3D Land. You've got them mentioned above as a mysterious project, though, so do you think that they've been large enough to be working full-scale on a game while 3D Land was in development?

I really doubt all of Int Sys is working on Paper Mario 3DS.

They only just finished on Fire Emblem 3DS, and they aren't an enormous studio. The FE team is probably moving on to either Advance Wars 3DS or Fire Emblem Wii U. In fact, it's not impossible that they just decide to do another 3DS Fire Emblem, as the one they just released is doing very well.

Neiteio

You will. But I think Nintendo wanted to make that clear. You will see HD Wii style games and billion dollar development cost games like that Zelda teaser. Anything with Miis will obviously not look like Uncharted.

Battalion Wars is probably as good as dead. The next Nintendo/Headstrong game will probably be more Art Academys. The $$$ maker.
OK, well, that rules out Battalion Wars as the mystery game. Is you not quoting Linkhero1 earlier indicative it's not Star Fox, Eternal Darkness or Luigi's Mansion, as well?

Also, do you think we'll see Retro's new game at E3?

Zero148

remember guys

"newsupermariobrothersmiiscreenshot"

but this was only a quick done demo for demonstrating on the controller play. I think the real NSMB WiiU will have better graphics (cleaner, AA, not so edgie). Not top tier graphics, but I expect the same art style as every NSMB game but with a high IQ.

edit: oh, I see images are resized when quoting, nice to know ^^

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
I had assumed, given they've gone so long without releasing anything substantial, that EAD Tokyo Group 1 is a very small team, probably working on prototypes for the Wii U (perhaps Mario prototypes), while most of the Tokyo staff have been with Group 2, working on Galaxy 2 and 3D Land. You've got them mentioned above as a mysterious project, though, so do you think that they've been large enough to be working full-scale on a game while 3D Land was in development?

Okay. So let's put things into perspective. EAD Kyoto has over 500 people in their department. Tokyo is a bigger city in both population and development activity. It is the reason why Nintendo wanted an office for game development there. They felt they were losing out on talent not willing to commit a move to Kyoto. Thus, the point of EAD Tokyo was always to accumulate several developers. How many? Definitely in the hundreds. The original SMG team in 2007 was what, 50 people? Obviously they are bigger and still growing. We just won't know until it happens. The odds are that EAD Tokyo Group 1 has been working on prototypes, eventually (e3?) we will see something.

I'm not talking about Miis and art style.

Go on...

The thing is that there's a lot of maybes in there. For instance I'm sort of expecting something like a FPS from Retro, but I don't really know what to expect in terms of setting (probably sci-fi, but that's a broad category) or mechanics, or use of the Wii U pad. Similarly with Monolith, they're probably working on an RPG, but that doesn't exactly narrow it down much. I'm actually quite happy to leave a lot of surprises for the conference itself, there's something exciting about being shown new game after new game after new game.

Absolutely. There will be surprises and shockers. Some good. Some bad. If i were a betting man, I would say RetroStudios should be working on a Western core killer app more so than a "nintendo fan" killer app. Obviously they have years of technology and experience with the Metroid Prime engine, but removing the ceiling cap of niche first-person Metroid and starting with an original theme without history, gives them new life and more potential appeal. Monolith sure they are working on 3DS and Wii U projects, but you can't be sure they are even Nintendo published or international just yet because of their history.

Neiteio

If Shikamaru really knows something, he's definitely the best hinter yet. Pretty swell of him to rule out several major (and not so major) franchises where this mystery title is concerned. :)

Neiteio

Hey Shikamaru, does the mystery first-party WiiU game revolve around an IP that's represented by a playable character in the Smash series?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The only thing that would really disappoint me from Retro (besides the Star Fox x Metroid nightmare) would be a modern war themed game.

Neiteio

The only thing that would really disappoint me from Retro (besides the Star Fox x Metroid nightmare) would be a modern war themed game.
While I beg to differ on the (now deconfirmed anyway) Star Fox/Metroid mashup, I wholeheartedly agree that a modern war-themed game would be a massive waste of Retro's imagination.

Still waiting for Shikamaru to weigh in on the "does mystery game have representation in Smash" question...

Then why do Sony keep making WipeOuts?
sony is an enigma, that and they're probably really cheap to make

I keep saying that, I don't care how good Retro is, if I see some generic action game, even if it's a good one in action game standards, I'll just think it was a waste. ESPECIALLY if it's an fps.

Thraktor

Okay. So let's put things into perspective. EAD Kyoto has over 500 people in their department. Tokyo is a bigger city in both population and development activity. It is the reason why Nintendo wanted an office for game development there. They felt they were losing out on talent not willing to commit a move to Kyoto. Thus, the point of EAD Tokyo was always to accumulate several developers. How many? Definitely in the hundreds. The original SMG team in 2007 was what, 50 people? Obviously they are bigger and still growing. We just won't know until it happens. The odds are that EAD Tokyo Group 1 has been working on prototypes, eventually (e3?) we will see something.

Thanks. This has me kind of hyped that they've got a new 3D Mario to unveil, but frankly I'd take anything from EAD Tokyo, they're quite possibly my favourite developer.

Absolutely. There will be surprises and shockers. Some good. Some bad. If i were a betting man, I would say RetroStudios should be working on a Western core killer app more so than a "nintendo fan" killer app. Obviously they have years of technology and experience with the Metroid Prime engine, but removing the ceiling cap of niche first-person Metroid and starting with an original theme without history, gives them new life and more potential appeal. Monolith sure they are working on 3DS and Wii U projects, but you can't be sure they are even Nintendo published or international just yet because of their history.

My one hope with the Wii U is that the ability to download retail games gives them the opportunity to localise games that they otherwise wouldn't. Just translate them and throw them up on the eShop, no marketing, no inventory risk. Of course, I'm in Europe where Xenoblase was localised in a reasonable timeframe, so I am hoping for a retail release of Monolith's next game.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者

Even though I'm burn out on the FPS genre. It certainly is bigger than that. Difference between Portal. Bioshock. Half Life. Perfect Dark. Call of Duty. Deus Ex. Resistance. Halo. Metroid Prime. Geist. etc, etc.

Linkhero1

I doubt Nintendo would waste their talent creating a game to combat CoD. If they do make a FPS, I can see something along the lines of Timesplitters 2/Team Fortress 2.

Hiltz

Everyone is going to laugh at Nintendo if it really does go through with making New SMB Mii look like that. It was passable as tech demo on early generation dev kits but not as a full-fledged next-gen game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Monolith seems to have at least two teams. One of which focus's primarily on portable rpgs (this is the team that gets farmed out) and the one that worked on Wii games (made Disaster and Xenoblade)

Penguin

Even though I'm burn out on the FPS genre. It certainly is bigger than that. Difference between Portal. Bioshock. Half Life. Perfect Dark. Call of Duty. Deus Ex. Resistance. Halo. Metroid Prime. Geist. etc, etc.

Well he didn't say Retro working on an FPS.. but a war-themed one.

There is a lot of room for FPS to grow.. just not in that realm.

Neiteio

Hey Eat_Children, you're my favorite mod (sincerely). You keep mentioning what you don't want Retro to make, but what would be the ideal project for them, in your eyes?

Zero148

man, this thread really steals my sleep, it is 4 am here in Germany. I#m going to bed now, then when I wake up E3 is a couple hours nearer

But the Hype building is nice :)

Well he didn't say Retro working on an FPS.. but a war-themed one.

There is a lot of room for FPS to grow.. just not in that realm.

I'd say that's the sub-genre where it needs to grow the most. Most modern war FPS games are essentially tunnel shooters. You're running forward through what feels like a shooting gallery. I'd love for someone to actually try to create a war environment where it's important to keep an eye on your surroundings because enemies could come at you from any angle. Right now you only have to worry about what's in front of you. Something like an open world war title could be amazing.

Neiteio

I liked EatChildren before he was a mod.
/hipster
Hey, I did too! I always found him amusing partly because he's Australian (in exchange he can find me amusing for being American!), and mostly just because he's a nice guy.

Even if he hates something awesome like Star Fox x Metroid.

Neiteio

Btw, Eat_Children, when I was stalking you in the Dear Esther thread I noticed you couldn't make sense of the chemistry symbols but really, if you ask me, that's the main character trying to impose order on the chaos of what happened to him by looking for patterns, etc (speaking here vaguely but too lazy to use tags).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom