• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2 is coming to the West

Battlechili

Banned
NIS America announced today that the PS4 action RPG, The Witch and the Hundred Knight 2, is coming to the West in 2018.

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygUbhUKJniY

Screenshots:
The-Witch-and-the-Hundred-Knight-2_2017_10-05-17_007.jpg

Also apparently the game will have a limited edition:

And finally, a brief description courtesy of Gematsu:
Follow the Hundred Knight in its journey through a witch-ravaged world. Young girls are contracting a strange illness and awakening as witches, causing mayhem across the region of Kevala. Along the Hundred Knight's side are two sisters: Amalie, an agent of an organization who opposes witches; and Chelka, the witch who awakened in Amalie's younger sister, Milm. Uncover the mysteries of Kevala as you protect them both from harm.

Delve through dungeons and landscapes teeming with fiends and monsters, looking for equipment of legendary power. Grow stronger with help from Tochkas and Facets that will give an advantage in combat. Chain attacks together with the unique weapon system that welcomes weapon change mid-combat. The fate of Kevala is in your hands, brave knight.

squall211

I enjoyed the game enough to finish it, but if I remember correctly the gameplay was pretty repetitive throughout. I wonder if the sequel is any better?

Tohsaka

First game was decent but went on too long, might get this one if it's better.

first game had that stuff?

No rape actually happens, I forget what the exact relationship was since it's been a while but
the main character turns her mother figure (can't remember if it was actually her mother or not) into a rat and then some male rats chase after her.

B_Signal

First game was decent but went on too long, might get this one if it's better.

No rape actually happens, I forget what the exact relationship was since it's been a while but
the main character turns her mother figure (can't remember if it was actually her mother or not) into a rat and then some male rats chase after her.

I was wondering what people were referring to. The game had a bit of a nasty streak that was hard to like, but I do think some of the reactions were overboard

As for the game, the mechanic if having to pick the right kind of weapons could have been explored more

Battlechili

Banned
I'm excited and disappointed both honestly. I like the dark humor, edgier tone, and general style of The Witch and the Hundred Knight. Its music was especially wonderful and was like the best of Disgaea. The idea of an improved sequel with better gameplay seemed really cool, but I was actually hoping NISA would give it a PC release since they seemed to be doing that lately. I also can't help but wonder what's going on with Coven and the Labyrinth of Refrain. (doesn't that already have an English translation even that they could use?)

Regardless, I'm overall happy to see this game finally officially coming over.

Shadio

It's a surprisingly dark game.

Towards the end of a game,
a major villain who is a giant ox-man, rapes a woman and kills her in the process due to the sheer size difference. Her sister walks in on the act so he murders her and carries her around in a bag on his back.

There's other stuff too, like torture and the mouse scene mentioned above

Hexa

I bought the first one during a flash sale a while ago, but haven't gotten to it yet. I should play it.

Was the general impression that the second was better or worse than its predecessor?

kunonabi

A lot of what made the first one work was Metallia and the connection it created between her and the Hundred Knight/player so I'm not sure how I'm going to react to this one.

The original was my favorite PS3 game so I'll give it a shot anyway but my expectations are not high.

CrazyHal

I never played the first one because reviews said that the main character was completely unlikable which turn me of the game. Metallia is apparently a horrible person that treats everyone around her, including her allies, like shit.

Are the sisters in this game the same way?

kunonabi

I never played the first one because reviews said that the main character was completely unlikable which turn me of the game. Metallia is apparently a horrible person that treats everyone around her, including her allies, like shit.

The thing about Metallia is that as bad she treats everyone, some of which is hyperbole, it's really nothing in comparison to what she's been through. When you understand why she is the way she is your perspective on her changes dramatically. It's actually remarkably well done.

AniHawk

the sisters aren't like metallia. for the witch, it's more like an alternate personality/different character.

also, i like that the logo is different to reflect the different characters. the 't' in the original's is metallia's hat so it was adjusted for this one.

Strings

I can't believe they're bothering to bring over this and not Coven and The Labyrinth of Refrain.

I bought the first one during a flash sale a while ago, but haven't gotten to it yet. I should play it.

Was the general impression that the second was better or worse than its predecessor?

Haven't played it because I wasn't a fan of the first, but general impression was that it's basically the same game again. It also bombed, with 13k opening week compared to the 50k of the first (which is why I'm surprised they're bringing it over).

Evilisk

I remember being excited for the first game (and tbf, I remember liking the story and tone from what I played) but the actual gameplay and all the crashes made it ridiculously hard to keep playing.

The lack of Metallica, the new protag's design and the gameplay seemingly being the same as the first all don't make this sound very appealing tbh.

If you do get around to playing it, I would highly recommend saving every so often (like, anytime you discover a new pillar on the map) because you don't want to lose your progress to dumb, random crashes.

https://killscreen.com/articles/digging-through-rubble-witch-and-hundred-knight/

Witch and the Hundred Knight doesn't have that known shape to rely on, so early on when a random and unexpected rape scene ends with you, the player character, eating (and loving) the deep-fried remains of a witch who was on the receiving end of this sexual assault, you are, let's say, drawn out of the story. Part of this is that random sexual assault played for humor is a non-starter, of course, but I actually think the scene lays bare a critical problem with the game as a whole. Metallia, the rapist, is the witch of the title, but she hasn't filled you in on why she hates this other witch so much. Consequently, there's no context for Metallia being so brutal except for a broad notion that she is an ”evil" witch; there's no substance to the obviously ”good" witch's declaration that she is, in fact, Metallia's mother; there's no attempt to clarify the relationship beyond Metallia's repeated dismissal of the other woman as a whore; and there's no way to contextualize what just happened.

And now they added a loli. NIS is horrible.

The thing about Metallia is that as bad she treats everyone, some of which is hyperbole, it's really nothing in comparison to what she's been through. When you understand why she is the way she is your perspective on her changes dramatically. It's actually remarkably well done.

Can't wait to become ashamed of my words and deeds

RRockman

Banned

a major villain who is a giant ox-man, rapes a woman and kills her in the process due to the sheer size difference. Her sister walks in on the act so he murders her and carries her around in a bag on his back.

Ughhhh, Why couldn't they just do Zettai Hero Project 2?

Probably would've grabbed it if there was a Vita version, but it sounds like they couldn't get it to run on the console easily. Oh well, guess I'll skip it for now.

SephLuis

The first game was a very dark tale and it pulled no punches on that. I like to compare it to a serious version of Disgaea, one where they actually meant as a dark fantasy game instead of a comedy one.

Mostly because of that, the story takes some turns that are both quite surprising and disturbing. The tale itself is well thought and it is the main reason why I liked the first game.
Let me emphasize that the first game doesn't directly show a lot of the things people complain, using only mostly text to pass the idea of what happened.

My main complaint with the first game was it because it was a too long. The basis of the gameplay is like a Diablo, but with more action-y mechanics. The mechanics are good, but the levels were too long and reused too many assets, thus eventually leading to some boredom in certain parts.

I do hope the second game keeps the story on the same level and makes the gameplay better.

Tohsaka

Probably would've grabbed it if there was a Vita version, but it sounds like they couldn't get it to run on the console easily. Oh well, guess I'll skip it for now.

The first one wasn't on Vita either and ran badly on PS3, there was no way they could've gotten it to work on Vita.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

The game shows this rape murder?

Evilisk

While I don't disagree with the author on the rest of that article, I think they're overthinking that specific scene

That scene is just to establish what kind of character Metallia is. That's it. I don't even know where they're getting the humorous angle in the scene (maybe it's from the misplaced Disgaea comparison). I love dark comedy and there's pretty much nothing humorous about the way that scene plays out.

There's only the credits that occurs after the scene, but credits literally occur at the end of every chapter (the author mentions this) and the credits joke is less focused on what just happened to the other witch, and is more at the expense of the Hundred Knight (IIRC Metallia initially promises freedom once you help her deal with the other witch and at that moment the Hundred Knight has actually fulfilled that, hence the credits. The joke of course is that, no you're not done and unsurprisingly, the next chapter has Metallia moving the goalposts on the deal)

The first game was a very dark tale and it pulled no punches on that. I like to compare it to a serious version of Disgaea, one where they actually meant as a dark fantasy game instead of a comedy one.

Pretty much this.

Hanabi

Neo Member
I also can't help but wonder what's going on with Coven and the Labyrinth of Refrain. (doesn't that already have an English translation even that they could use?)

Coven released on ps4 a week ago. I think that they are going to bring it to the west . But probably PS4 only, sadly.

On topic: The first game was pretty cool, and more NIS is always welcome.

Top Bottom