• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mutagenic said:
Bummer. My comp has 8GB but I think my card is 1GB. I'll try ultra regardless next time I'm at my computer.

5870 is fine on ultra without ubersampling. I was recommended low with a 5850 but ultra is working fine, always 30-45 in towns and 50-60 outside.

This is at 1680x1050 btw.

vocab

Mutagenic said:
Bummer. My comp has 8GB but I think my card is 1GB. I'll try ultra regardless next time I'm at my computer.

Huh? I have a 5850, and run ultra maxed out except ubersampling (aka no one can run it) fine. This game runs way better than Crysis 1 or metro 2033 thats for sure. Your 5870 will blow this shit out of the water.

Salazar

nib95 said:
My copies in the post! Can't wait! Out of curiosity, how well will a GTX 570 SC handle this game?

Chiggs said:
You probably won't get more than 15FPS with everything set to low @ 1024 x 768.

You're going to need to add two more of those cards to get to 45FPS.

Granted, this dude probably knows what he's talking about, and I don't at all - but this ain't right.

This game has given people enough grief (alongside the pleasure) without dickheads posting wrong info.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Nah, my GTX 460 can run it in 1080p with high textures at around 30FPS, sometimes when shit is calm is goes as high as 60. During the most taxing part it dropped a bit below 20fps, but that was just one part, other wise it's tolerable.

The optimization could be much better but it's not that bad.

I have invested my initial talents into what I thought would be more useful for the swordsmanship tree however I am using Quen at every opportunity to stay alive. If you try to play a style that uses parry to your advantage I most often get overwhelmed. Quen is like the magic parry, it's basically easier to use and more effective at this point in the game.

I really want to go with swordsmanship tree and do a lot of parrying and counterattacking etc, where it looks like a better idea to just push through to get Quen lvled up. For anyone that has gone through the swordsmanship tree can you actually play in a style that uses parrying to your advantage or should I just go down the magic tree?

HeadlessRoland said:
Does any level of Quen not stop vigor regen?

I have level 2 Quen and the time it lasts only becomes longer, its vigor freezing effect is still there. It's a tradeoff for being completely safe in close quarters, by the last upgrade Quen lasts around 3 minutes. That and you can get the ability that spreads the counterattack damage to nearby enemies.

It had to have a shortcoming. Quen should only be used when you want to be offensive with yer sword and in such a case you don't even have the time to pop off aard or igni anyway.

Varna

Wallach said:
One other question about save file importing: do you just get one generic version of the Raven's Armor or do you actually get the version you created in the first game?

Edit - After some snooping it appears that the Raven Armor is the same no matter what version you made in TW1. Also, the amount of money that is in the save files in the OP seems kind of absurd if I'm understanding the import settings correctly.
The import money bonus is just insane. I had to load up the file i got from the op and use a save game editor to delete all items and money just so I wouldn't end up with 25000 money to star...

Honest I kind of feel it's better just to play without importing. The bonus items aren't that great and I see no references to anything you did in the first game.

Binabik15

Is the Royal Mail on a diet of speed and Epo? TheHut dispatched my copy last Saturday and I now hold it in hands. Yay.

Best Premium Edition for no additional moniez more ever? Wow. The coin, pamphlet and map are 1000% better done than I expected, the papercraft figures are included instead of downloads, the game guide feels better bound than some retail ones. Nice.

I hope the game doesn´t melt my Radeon 5850 clocked at 835/1125 in 1080p. Or gives me display glitches.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm able to run it on medium fairly well, but I think I'm gonna wait until I get my new computer in September so I can run it better and there will be patches. It's really hard to want to put this amazing tile down though.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Never thought this game's OT would have more posts than L.A.Noire. Awesome :)

Started the game and finished the prologue. Really good till now. I am liking the challenge. The attention to detail is absolutely amazing. The sound effects are absolutely mind-blowing.
This I must say that this has to be the only game that captures the feeling of medieval war perfectly, something that even the movies struggle to do (never played Total war though). Even the huge catapults were really detailed and no short-cuts were taken in their workings either. It was amazing to see NPCs working as they should, to get them ready and then adjust and shoot. And then seeing the catapult reacting to it and then the NPCs again charging them getting them ready was amazing. Hats off CDProjekt.

Mother of god this bug is bullshit. The game randomly stopped allowing me to speak to NPC's. I have reinstalled deleted all saved games and started over. I cannot speak to anyone when I enter flotsam.

What kinda bug could possibly behave like that?!

kamspy

Goddam I want to play this game, but after I started I knew I had to finish TW1 properly. I played it over the course of years and never got a full grasp of it. Man, I know why I couldn't stick with it. It can be a real slog sometimes. I hope the pacing is pepped up a little bit in TW2. What I played was...amazing. Can't wait. Proud of myself for holding off too. We'll see how long that holds up though. Fucking drowners and fetch quests.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I'm a little embarrassed to even ask this but:

How did you guys increase the amount of vigor bars you had? I went through the entire game with the original 2.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Pankaks said:
I'm a little embarrassed to even ask this but:

How did you guys increase the amount of vigor bars you had? I went through the entire game with the original 2.

There is an increase in the training tree and another in the magic tree, possibly 2.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Sinatar said:
There is an increase in the training tree and another in the magic tree, possibly 2.

Ah I see, thanks. I went full swordsman so that explains why I missed it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
toasty_T said:
How do I use the harpy traps? I've seen a few nests now but I don't know how to get the thing in there.
I never used them but I assumed they're like any trap, place on the ground when you're fighting harpies? Unless there's some capture a harpy quest I missed.

Anyway. Finished the game. Neat action adventure, I liked all those scripted sequences and stuff, too bad it wasn't more polished. The Witcher 3 should be awesome.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Salazar said:
Granted, this dude probably knows what he's talking about, and I don't at all - but this ain't right.

This game has given people enough grief (alongside the pleasure) without dickheads posting wrong info.

Hey, how will my fairly beefy video card run this game? I really need help and can't be bothered to read the performance thread.

HALP!

DSN2K

loving it so far...only in chapter 1 but wow Im so impressed.

Also is it me or is the sound a little mucked up ? sometimes the voices dont sound loud enough.

BeeDog

DSN2K said:
loving it so far...only in chapter 1 but wow Im so impressed.

Also is it me or is the sound a little mucked up ? sometimes the voices dont sound loud enough.

Funnily enough, I think it's the opposite; the sound volume in The Witcher 2 is abnormally high, and I always need to turn it down compared to anything else on my PC. The voices especially are LOOOOOUUUUUUUD.

Ten hours in, awesome game, actually my favorite since Baldur's Gate II and i'm still in Chapter1, maybe going further i low my personal rating, now very very high.

I still explore the forest, going further every journey. Now i have to kill some aracnoids
have you some advice to kill the two queens? I have to give up waiting to gain some power because those beast are fucking hard, even for my traps

Kyaw

thelurkinghorror said:
Ten hours in, awesome game, actually my favorite since Baldur's Gate II and i'm still in Chapter1, maybe going further i low my personal rating, now very very high.

I still explore the forest, going further every journey. Now i have to kill some aracnoids
have you some advice to kill the two queens? I have to give up waiting to gain some power because those beast are fucking hard, even for my traps

Just roll when charge at you. NEVER let them hit you.
Hit their arses when they stop after charging you. Use traps too.
Yrden for quicker trap and Aard to stop them charging.

thelurkinghorror said:
Now i have to kill some aracnoids

-They don't like fire so igni them
-Make some dancing star bombs (I think you start off with the recipe otherwise it should be available for purchase). They have the chance to cause incinerate.
-Buy some insectoid oil and oil up
-Make better use of traps, you should be able to find a ton strewn around the forest. Set up a whole bunch in one area and lure beast into it.
-If you're feeling reckless you can fight it with your sword but it's a real pain. They're vulnerable on their right front (right side of head). Make use of your heavy attacks combined with oil.

Best strategy is fire, bombs and traps. You really shouldn't have to use your sword.

toasty_T said:
How do I use the harpy traps? I've seen a few nests now but I don't know how to get the thing in there.
I also thought I was supposed to use the traps but you actually need to use bombs. Check the journal.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I also thought I was supposed to use the traps but you actually need to use bombs. Check the journal.

Actually I figured it out. If you're near a harpy nest and you drop off a trap one of them will pick it up unwittingly and destroy the nest.

BeeDog

Since I will be playing the game on and off during the coming week, I hope someone can alleviate my current fears; how big is this game in its scope? I get the feeling that there won't be many more areas to explore other than;

1. The prologue areas
2. Flotsam and the surrounding forest (which is small)
3. Another town plus a surrounding area (sort of like 2)
4. The endgame

Am I right, or am I (hopefully) wrong?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
BeeDog said:
Since I will be playing the game on and off during the coming week, I hope someone can alleviate my current fears; how big is this game in its scope? I get the feeling that there won't be many more areas to explore other than;

1. The prologue areas
2. Flotsam and the surrounding forest (which is small)
3. Another town plus a surrounding area (sort of like 2)
4. The endgame

Am I right, or am I (hopefully) wrong?

You are unfortuneatley right, percentagewise I think the game was divided something like this, with regards to how long it took and amount to explore :

Very roughly :

prologue 15%
ch 1 45%
ch2 30%
ch3 5%
epilogue 5%

BeeDog

Thanks for answering, that's very unfortunate. Personally I'd take a reduction in detail level just so the devs could add more explorable environments. But then again, I hope the game changes up noticeably in chapters 1 and 2 as some people say when you replay and make other key decisions.

Zeliard said:
Well, what ends up happening when you
feed the wraith the two humans?
I didn't go that route but I think he just
leaves the hospital after he's had his revenge. Literally the only thing the wraith wanted was the two guys who killed him dead. So if you get rid of them then he's not much of a monster anymore except in appearance.

You are approaching this game ME-style, playing Paragon. That is not how Geralt character is build. As someone before said - he would get rid of the monster, because it's a monster, plain and simple, it's also obviously evil right now.

Kyaw

Guys, i think i fucked with one of the quests.

It's With Flickering heart (the succubus one)

I talked to Dandelion to wait for me at the burned village site and i didnt use the surgical tools to do the autopsy. I went back and did it after talking to Dandelion and now i keep failing the ballad part. :(

Is there any way to do succeed that quest at this stage? Or do i have to go back to a very early save?

BeeDog

Alright, for specific reasons I had to completely uninstall The Witcher 2 and reinstall it. Just wanted to say that the Launcher app has to be one of the worst tools to ever grace a game. "Error writing file" messages, looping various download messages, interrupting at random, connection issues, locking up completely without notifying the OS and so on.

Hopefully they patch the shit out of it too, because it's unbearable.

zlatko

Banned
I need some help for anyone who got to the end of Act 2 and is in Act 3.

I'm doing the Roche side of the story. Near the end after the Draug you come to where Ves is after she's raped and all of the soldiers are hanged. Right after that cut scene the notice board has 3 new notices on it, but the quests don't show up in my journal. I thought I had missed these earlier so I reloaded an earlier save before I fought the Draug, but the notices weren't there. Are these quests for Act 3 and they will show up once I get there in my journal or wtf is going on?

Please someone answer this. :(

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Hum. I'm feeling more let down with the game the more I realise I finished it. I wish every chapter was like the first but even bigger with more to explore and more variety, I wish combat was more polished, skills more interesting and useful, challenges more than just throwing you in tight spaces against a bunch of tough enemies, I wish the plot didn't have so many stupid elements, I wish buttons wouldn't randomly stop responding, I wish Geralt was more reliable in how he behaves on functional button presses...

Man the DLC better not be stuff like go kill or barter with a big potentially dangerous thing for a super reward, just make some elaborate hunting quests like the one in the intro of the first The Witcher with a lot of investigating (proper investigating, not just pressing x on everything you see and then choosing dialogue responses that basically give the solution away by themselves even if you weren't paying attention) and talking to people and trying to figure out how this thing came to be and what weaknesses and strengths it has and the right potions and tools for the job etc. Make a single hunt nearly worthy of its own act, having the beast show up in town killing everything in sight including you before you figure out how to beat it, forcing you to mostly investigate in the day or rush from door to door at night before it spots you or while it's busy mutilating some random NPC etc. I also want to set elaborate traps properly, before the fight begins, choose my battlegrounds and lure it, not just drop them after the fight starts like any random item.

That might be a spoiler Kyaw so I won't quote you.

Nah you're alright. You're getting the ballad wrong, go through all the permutations and she'll show up. The first lyric is the 2nd line.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Yeap, the step by step line picking is in
the poem book you find under the corpse in the catacombs

Dina

Side-quest in Chapter 2. Little Sisters.

Where do I proceed once I've found the graves near the shore? I've lit the candles in the correct order, went into the secret room, then back to the soldier and then again to the graves. Now I need to solve the mystery but all the marks on the map (one marker in the hut, one on a big boulder on the shore) seem to lead nowhere. Anyone got a clue?

edit: solution
there's a ghost around midnight that you need to talk to

Wes

venison crêpe
Animator said:
Does anyone know how to solve the puzzle in this room in Chapter 3 (early):
1stStrike said:
That's a screenshot from chapter 2. But, I know what you're talking about in chapter 3. There are a couple of different possible solutions for each room. The one you get in your game is randomly decided, so there's no absolute single way to do it in each room.
You can
buy books from a vendor later in the chapter that you can use to decode the riddle, at least if you choose the sneaking in to the sewers method you can.
Or you can just go through each possible combination.

Jenga

Banned
after beating the game i've checked out what people think of the game

are people really complaining about the combat?

one dude even said the combat was dumbed down

the original's core combat was just one big QTE with the occasional M2 for force push

anyways, yeah the chapters were shorter than I thought
otherwise, good game

i want witcher 3 now :(

Detox

kamspy said:
Goddam I want to play this game, but after I started I knew I had to finish TW1 properly. I played it over the course of years and never got a full grasp of it. Man, I know why I couldn't stick with it. It can be a real slog sometimes. I hope the pacing is pepped up a little bit in TW2. What I played was...amazing. Can't wait. Proud of myself for holding off too. We'll see how long that holds up though. Fucking drowners and fetch quests.
You should play it with the infinite health and endurance mod, makes it much more enjoyable.

Jenga

Banned
I think what makes this game feel
shorter, is not only the low number of chapters and locale changes, but the story itself. The only thing that gets resolved is the business with Letho. Meanwhile, the entire North is going through radical change that you are directly involved in. Big change from the Witcher 1 when it wrapped itself up nicely. There's a shitload of setup for a sequel that wasn't there for Witcher 1. Well, besides the ending cutscene anyways. The end result is you feel like someone split a novel into a two parter. Which in the end is fine with me, I love the game and want more of it, but fuck waiting another 4 years for another sequel. Here's hoping to Witcher 3 in '12 or '13

Salaadin

I thought I read something abitu a glitch where you shouldve finish Bring it On: Flotsam until later into Act 1. Can anyone confirm? WHen should I finish this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom