• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings |OT| Plough 'Em All

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

Bah, I had hoped CDPR would've responded already. I wanted get this game going, but my retail disc won't install. Hopefully they respond by the end of the day.

FJ0372

Guys I'm planning to play this with no experience (haven't played the first) in Hard, will it be too hard/require doing loads of side quest? any need to know tips?

Veal

FJ0372 said:
Guys I'm planning to play this with no experience (haven't played the first) in Hard, will it be too hard/require doing loads of side quest? any need to know tips?
The game is quite difficult, even on normal. I'd suggest starting there, especially since you haven't played the first.

Nezabyte

Neo Member
Playing on hard will indeed be hard at first, but it gets easier once you start upgrading abilities and armor/weps. Extremely fun! It almost feels like I'm cheating with maxed out Quen.

Enkidu

FJ0372 said:
You can change difficulty at anytime. I'd suggest starting out on normal because the game is quite hard early on. Once you get a few more levels you can go up to hard so it won't get too easy later on.

Van Buren

Salaadin said:
I thought I read something abitu a glitch where you shouldve finish Bring it On: Flotsam until later into Act 1. Can anyone confirm? WHen should I finish this?

Do not finish the Dice Poker part of that quest until you take the Melitele's Heart quest. You can still complete the Melitele's Heart quest if you did otherwise, but it involves going down a (relatively) cruel path.

FJ0372 said:

I'm think that at the beginning the game even in normal is certainly hard, it requires patience to learn how to fight. But when you upgrade your equipment, it's not that hard. I'm currently playing in Hard (currently at the beginning of chapter two) and I haven't encountered any impossible fight, but certainly I've died a lot (some deaths in bosses, the worse getting surrounded by mobs, I don't pay attention for a second and I got killed lol). If you prepare the fights (alchemy, bombs, traps) and use hit and run tactics combined with the signs and some patience, you won't have any problems.

Echoplx

Van Buren said:
Do not finish the Dice Poker part of that quest until you take the Melitele's Heart quest. You can still complete the Melitele's Heart quest if you did otherwise, but it involves going down a (relatively) cruel path.

I did the Dice Poker quests before Melitele's and didn't go down a 'cruel' path, care to elaborate (with spoiler tags if you want)

Van Buren

3chopl0x said:
I did the Dice Poker quests before Melitele's and didn't go down a 'cruel' path, care to elaborate (with spoiler tags if you want)

The troll tongue needed for the quest can supposedly be obtained from the living troll or from the stuffed head of his wife. By defeating the poker player who is in possession of the head, Geralt can ask for the head instead of a normal reward. Killing the living troll seemed a waste to me, since the quest mentions that Geralt should figure out whether the troll is truly evil, and it turns out that it is not. At the end of taking care of its wife's killer, the troll goes back to repairing and safeguarding the bridge at dirt-cheap prices, and the people of Lobinden are happy too.

Deciding to kill the troll anyway seems cruel since it is doing its job, and all this does is net a small pay from Loredo's lackey.

Salaadin

Van Buren said:
I have dice poker done already and just need to wrap up arm wrestling. I have meliteles heart active but am missing one final ingredient. Am I in the clear to finish arm wrestling?

Echoplx

DennisK4 said:
Is the game any good?

I am stranded on an alien planet with only short bursts of internet access and no games.

Seems to be a lot of mixed thoughts on the direction they took the game in but overall i think it's safe to say that it is indeed good.

Van Buren

Salaadin said:
I have dice poker done already and just need to wrap up arm wrestling. I have meliteles heart active but am missing one final ingredient. Am I in the clear to finish arm wrestling?

Is it the Troll's Tongue you are after or the Aracha part ? It it's the latter, you are free to do what you want.

Echoplx

Salaadin said:

Should be fine, you get the eye while following the main quest line.

Kyaw

DennisK4 said:
Is the game any good?

I am stranded on an alien planet with only short bursts of internet access and no games.

Any screenshots of this alien planet? Would love to see it with your glorious downsampling. :p

The game is good. Very good. However a bit shorter than many expected it to be. (compared to the first game's 60 hours or so but then it depends on what and how you did in terms of side quests really plus the first game had a lot of running back and forth)

Darklord

Banned
I wondered about something in chapter 1

After the Kayren fight you can take Triss to the Elven Bath and have sex. After that you can tell her to stay with him or go. If you ask Triss to stay with you she asks if they should leave Roche and all those problems behind. You can say yes or no. I said no, I have to fix them but if you said yes would the game actually take a change at that point or when Roche shows up would it just be one of those "nah, you gotta do this no matter what you said" kind of things? It's hard to tell if the choices you make are actually making a difference or if it's like Dragon Age 2 where no matter what you do, it ends up the same. Don't fully spoil it though, just say if it does change much or not because I only just got to that part! :)

Van Buren

DennisK4 said:
Is the game any good?

Since exploration and the world building are your thing, it's more of a Risen kind of a game, with a few lovingly hand-crafted environments, rather than the copy-paste of the Elder Scrolls. Easily the most believable settlements I've seen in 3D.

The narrative is politically charged with the trademark morally ambiguous and unpredictable scenarios that characterized Witcher. The writing feels believable, is often hilarious, and the combat is probably the best among those found in Western ARPGs.

Wes

venison crêpe
Darklord said:

After the Kayren fight you can take Triss to the Elven Bath and have sex. After that you can tell her to stay with him or go. If you ask Triss to stay with you she asks if they should leave Roche and all those problems behind. You can say yes or no. I said no, I have to fix them but if you said yes would the game actually take a change at that point or when Roche shows up would it just be one of those "nah, you gotta do this no matter what you said" kind of things? It's hard to tell if the choices you make are actually making a difference or if it's like Dragon Age 2 where no matter what you do, it ends up the same. Don't fully spoil it though, just say if it does change much or not because I only just got to that part! :)

Can't answer specifically to that event but I'll just say choices made generally offer widely diverse strands of story so I wouldn't be surprised.

Salaadin

Van Buren said:
Is it the Troll's Tongue you are after or the Aracha part ? It it's the latter, you are free to do what you want.
3chopl0x said:
Should be fine, you get the eye while following the main quest line.

Its the Aracha. Thanks guys.

Love this game. I dont want Act 1 to end while at the same time, I cant wait to see what Act 2 looks like.

Coldsnap

God damn this game... amazing. Had intentions to do the main story quests in Flotsam but got caught up playing games with Roche's men, got in a fist fight with Roche, started drinking, had a friendly competition of arm wrestling, continue drinking, and now I've woken up naked on the beach and now on a quest trying to find out what happened when I blacked out....

Van Buren

Darklord said:

I'm curious about this too - going to explore that in the required second playthrough - since it is explicitly mentioned in the journal about the choice you take there.

Kyaw

Coldsnap said:
haahaa I got a neck tattoo while drinking last night

Remember to remove it! Talk to Triss and the ingredients can be had from a witch in Lobinden.

This is if you want to remove it...

Echoplx

Salaadin said:
Its the Aracha. Thanks guys.

Love this game. I dont want Act 1 to end while at the same time, I cant wait to see what Act 2 looks like.

I spent 22 hours on the prologue and Act 1, loved it so much.

Darklord said:

This is right where I'm at as well and I haven't made the choice yet so I really don't know what I'm going to choose either.

So far I've been playing this game and making choices based on what I would do in those situations rather than doing the right or wrong things so I think I will just continue to do that for my first play through. Damn its good that there is no clear good or bad in this game, so perfectly executed too. I really wanna know what the outcome of my choices will be because that would probably affect my choice, but you don't get to know so you can't and thus... you have to choose blindy with the information you have at the time.

SOO good.

Minsc

Gold Member
DennisK4 said:
Is the game any good?

A sight to behold. But it's probably a good thing you have to wait a little while to get in to it with the lack of proper xfire profiles, you'll be much better off playing down the road with a working profile on ultra, than being reduced to lower settings.

Coldsnap said:
God damn this game... amazing. Had intentions to do the main story quests in Flotsam but got caught up playing games with Roche's men, got in a fist fight with Roche, started drinking, had a friendly competition of arm wrestling, continue drinking, and now I've woken up naked on the beach and now on a quest trying to find out what happened when I blacked out....

That is awesome.

Kyaw

Doesnt the game tell you what you've done and how your choices have affected things at the end?
Like the king of the wild hunt did in TW1

Van Buren

Coldsnap said:

That has to be one of the most hilarious dialog lines in the game. It was so absurd to hear about Geralt wanting to cross the river on a barge made of whores' asses.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ermmm how come Gametrailers.com didn't review this yet??

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ether_Snake said:
Ermmm how come Gametrailers.com didn't review this yet??

Too busy trying to cram as many spoilers in as possible.

Van Buren said:
That has to be one of the most hilarious dialog lines in the game. It was so absurd to hear about Geralt wanting to cross the river on a barge made of whores' asses.

So So SO So SOOOO funny.

I didn't realise that you could get the tattoo removed! I must organise that pronto!

pahamrick

So I guess The Scent of Incense quest in chapter 1 is bugged if you follow a certain path?

I got the real formula, but refused to give it to the guy. Later on, him and several others jumped me in the forest. I killed them, and got the mission complete notice and all but it never completed in the journal. After checking the game guide, it seems if you refuse that they should knock you out and drag you to their hideout. I reloaded my save right before the fight, but all that happened was death and game over.

Figured killing them completed it, and moved along but now that I've got to the end of chapter 1 it suddenly displayed that the quest failed. Annoys me to no end to see a failed quest in my quest log.

CushVA

Van Buren said:

Chapter 2: The quartermaster's assistant at the Kaedweni camp
who initially thought you were Emo & was going to tell you to go away

ColonialRaptor said:
So So SO So SOOOO funny.

I didn't realise that you could get the tattoo removed! I must organise that pronto!

You'll have to do it pronto because the ingredients required aren't available after chapter one.

I'm actually regretting getting drunk in a game :(

So I've done quite a few sidequests in chapter 1, yet I'm only level 8 (probably have gained two levels in Chapter 1). Are you guys grinding mobs by any chance or is the level progression just that slow?

Van Buren

Gully State said:
So I've done quite a few sidequests in chapter 1, yet I'm only level 8 (probably have gained two levels in Chapter 1). Are you guys grinding mobs by any chance or is the level progression just that slow?

It's quite slow with only the main quests rewarding a ton of xp. I ended Chapter 1 at around 13/14, and received 3 levels within an hour into Chapter 2.

Echoplx

Gully State said:

I think I was lvl 11 by the time i finished chapter 1, no grinding either just doing all the side quests.

In using the controller, I found that changing the d-pad left and right to "next" or "previous" sign really helps a lot.

By default it is set to "silver sword or steel sword" but you change swords a lot less often and you can always do that with your radial menu (left trigger by default).

I also swapped left trigger and left bumper since it feels a lot more naturally to me to use the left trigger as lock on and use the left bumper as the radial.

It is way faster to change signs now and I can do without ever pausing combat or even without pausing my combos.

What is the difference between "Damage from Signs" and "Sign Intensity"? Does the first affect Igni only, and the second things like Quen, Axi, etc.?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I was hoping that I would be able to go back and explore some areas after the credits rolled, or any type of post-game stuff. Oh well...

Durante

I have been playing this for the past few hours, and before getting back to it I just had to stop by this this thread and praise it a bit. It's absolutely fantastic. The atmosphere, the characters, the locations, the gameplay, the wealth of content, and of course the graphics. Regarding the latter, this is probably the best looking game overall I've ever played -- and it is an RPG with no loading times.

On the whole it seems like a marvelous technical and artistic achievement. If it even remotely keeps this up to the end I can't think of any game that could displace it as my GotY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom