• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Enhanced Edition |OT| Bow low, you stand before a head crowned.

When has the Elder Scrolls ever been a measuring stick for content? That is a pretty ridiculous standard to use, like ever, and especially here as the games have two completely different aims.

No advice on your bug, other than to try an earlier save.

Hello, insane difficulty hike!

This fight against
Cynthia and her sorcerer friend is impossible

Was enjoying the game up until now but this is fucking absurd.

When has the Elder Scrolls ever been a measuring stick for content? That is a pretty ridiculous standard to use, like ever, and especially here as the games have two completely different aims.

By RPG standards the TES games easily have the most content, of course the quality is debatable.

This fight against

lol

I put it on easy when I encountered
the cave full of nekkars in Folstam

it went from strategically fighting 5-6 people/monsters to dying repeatedly to 10-12 of those bastards. Fun became quickly frustrating.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
lol

it went from strategically fighting 5-6 people/monsters to dying repeatedly to 10-12 of those bastards. Fun became quickly frustrating.

Bombs. I couldn't take that many nekkers on with swords alone, but with a pocket full of grapeshots they're no big deal.

There are definitely a few tough and even frustrating parts in this game, but I've found that there is usually a certain trick or strategy for almost every encounter. I go from getting totally owned two or three times to passing without barely taking a hit once I figure out a proper method.

Dresden

lol

Gotta make bombs yo. Bombs trivialize every encounter in chapter one and the ones that stun are always useful later on.

Given the limited amount of content the Witcher 2 has its good but nowhere near as good as The Elder Scrolls games.
lolololol

This fight against

Aard to knock them off their feet, a couple of quick strikes, and then bail out. Take out
Cynthia first, she is wimpy.

I loved that fight. Also, are you fighting before or after the mission? You have a second opportunity to fight them later, and it is a bigger space, so easier to maneuver.

gdt

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I just hit a bug, I think. I can't activate my adrenaline sword move. The prompt comes up to hit Dpad up, and I keep hitting it and nada. Keep dying over and over in the cave of dreams after I pick up the dream in the projector.

Dresden

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I just hit a bug, I think. I can't activate my adrenaline sword move. The prompt comes up to hit Dpad up, and I keep hitting it and nada. Keep dying over and over in the cave of dreams after I pick up the dream in the projector.

I think the group finisher doesn't work on monsters or unique NPCs.

This game has gone from awesome to horrendously awful in the space of about an hour. Im deciding if I'm going to quit for good or keep playing. All told I've lost about 40 minutes of game time because of the game's idiocy.

So after that fight I mentioned above, which appears to be impossible (note that I've had no significant difficulties with the game up until now and I'm in act 3) I decide to go a different path- even though it's not the choice I want to make, but hey OK whatever. So I go through about 40 minutes worth of fighting tons of dudes and dialogue. It won't let me save at any time so I figure hey it must be autosaving, right? Right?

A cutscene ends putting me into a battle with people surrounding me that I can't see. Boom a guy backstabs me and I'm dead. I figure maybe this is supposed to happen.

Nope. I load up my latest autosave and it's about 40 minutes of game time ago. I'm so fucking pissed right now I don't even now what to do.

I had this. It will work on monsters, but only 1 at a time. I reloaded an older save, used it (it worked) and then reloaded my recent save and it worked fine. Good luck.

Aard to knock them off their feet, a couple of quick strikes, and then bail out. Take out
Cynthia first, she is wimpy.

I loved that fight. Also, are you fighting before or after the mission? You have a second opportunity to fight them later, and it is a bigger space, so easier to maneuver.
Before. I didn't try aard. Maybe I will this time. Does it work if
they have lightning around them? Also how do I know which sorcerer is the real one
? Does it matter?

Before. I didn't try aard. Maybe I will this time. Does it work if
they have lightning around them? Also how do I know which sorcerer is the real one
? Does it matter?

It will still knock them down, but you still can't hit them until quen wears off. You have to kill all of them, the last is real.

Also, you know you can not fight them, or only fight the guy, right? Obviously you can kill them both, for roleplaying purposes or whatever, as well.

I would recommend doing the quest, it is fairly interesting, and then you can still kill them later, in an arena which is a little better suited, at least to my mind.

dreamfall

This game. So much love. Went with Roche for Act 2, but I'm wondering about somethings after completing it twice.

I must say, helping Roche out with Dethmold felt like we were the last two superheroes in Loc Muinne. His brutal execution of the mage felt insanely satisfying (but gruesomely sadistic) as we saved Anais. In my first ending, I went to save Triss against the Nilfgaardians but I found it jarring as to how Letho managed to protect her in the second path. Why would he protect her? Wasn't he using the Lodge as a convenient front to execute Kings? Why would he care to save a sorceress after Sile tried to upstage him? In that playthrough, I decided against fighting him.

I could feel the distance between Geralt and Triss. I definitely would love another playthough involving Iorveth to find out more about Phillipa. It's really insane to think how the player choices change the course of history in the end regarding the Northern Kingdoms. I worry for Temeria, but more so for the mages executed in that second path. So much genocide!

It will still knock them down, but you still can't hit them until quen wears off. You have to kill all of them, the last is real.

Also, you know you can not fight them, or only fight the guy, right? Obviously you can kill them both, for roleplaying purposes or whatever, as well.

I would recommend doing the quest, it is fairly interesting, and then you can still kill them later, in an arena which is a little better suited, at least to my mind.
Yeah I mean I make decisions based on how I feel about people and what I think Geralt would do. So it makes me very upset when I feel like I can't make the decisions I want to make. That fight is just so god damn hard,
fighting 4 Sorcerer's at once all using quen and shooting projectiles at me in a small room sucks. I'll try it your way but I just don't think I'm good enough

And what the fuck at the game not autosaving or letting me save for 40 minutes? That's got to be a bug right?

Eusis

Given the limited amount of content the Witcher 2 has its good but nowhere near as good as The Elder Scrolls games.
I think a better comparison would be console Bioware games, or at least KotOR, Dragon Age Origins, and MAYBE ME... and relevant to at least those first two it does feel somewhat underwhelming in terms of content. Still, I suppose one large, well designed area is better then a million remote outposts on random planets at the least.
Nope. I load up my latest autosave and it's about 40 minutes of game time ago. I'm so fucking pissed right now I don't even now what to do.
Dealt with this sort of bullshit at the start of Act II on Roche's path, decided to just turn the difficulty down to Easy. I'll try multiple times on Normal when it's being fair in allowing me to save, providing checkpoints, or just giving me the opportunity to prepare, but once I'm LOCKED into something like this then screw it, that's pretty much the story butting in and preventing the gameplay from shining like it should.

gdt

Loaded up a save right before I unlocked the group finisher move, still won't work. Just makes that noise as if my adrenaline bar is empty. :/

Dresden

so I'm in this cave for the
Malena quest
... is it supposed to be this hard or am I doing something wrong?

Make bombs, throw bombs. Schematics can be bought cheaply from Cedric, the elf. I'd buy the Zerrikanian sun (useful for the stun) and the Grapeshot (damage + required for a quest).

Grisby

so I'm in this cave for the
Malena quest
... is it supposed to be this hard or am I doing something wrong?
That was the first area I had trouble in. Bombs and traps are your friends. And always make sure to use a Swallow health potion so you can regain some HP during a fight.

Game definitely gets easier later on. Going down the sword path I'm chopping down like 8 dudes in a row.

Gattsu25

Banned
I beat the game today

The game had an awesome ending that was totally satisfying and then had the LONGEST CREDITS EVER

I thought I posted this before but can't find the post...odd

Goldrush

So was there ever a payoff to that potion you drank in Chapter 1?
The two guys died in EE new quest, but never really explored the impact of the potion.

Anyone run into a glitch where a bomb can't be selected? At some point in Act 3 I couldn't use grapeshot anymore. Making more didn't work, it just didn't exist in my menu.

scitek

How do you beat Letho? He keeps spamming Quen because he's a goddamn pussy, and I barely do any damage to him no matter what I try.

How do you beat Letho? He keeps spamming Quen because he's a goddamn pussy, and I barely do any damage to him no matter what I try.

Spam Aard and do 2-3 strong attacks, repeat. If he uses Quen, run around and dodge until it runs out, then spam Aard as soon as possible.

Grisby

Beat the game. There were some pretty epic parts of the ending although the pop-in was a bit worse then usual due to all of the action.

I liked the game and I wish I had more to play. I didn't care so much for the info dump at the end but the battle was handled really well. On a whole though Chapter 3 didn't impress me that much. Loc Munne was kind of a drab city.

Oh man at that post credits sequence though. I'll have some more thoughts on the game overall tomorrow or so.

2AdEPT

ES got me back into gaming but Demons was >oblivion; dark souls/witcher > skyrim....didn't even finish skyrim,,,, was OP and bored by 1/3 of the way into the content. All I have ot hear is that the end dragon is the same style of fight as the other 100 dragons I could fight, adn its enoug to prevent me from bothering...each to their own I guess. I HATE the leveling imbalances and the fixes they tried to come up with to improve on oblivion didn't work......and the combat is still terrible....forced to play bows only since the Shivering isles DLC came out. I'll prolly get new vegas on PC, now that I have one, but absolutely no way I am doubling up on skyrim...cool mods or otherwise.

I agree that these are simply different experienes, both of which I will do, but the action aspect of RPG's is the gold standard for me now. Otherwise I can read a book.

iavi

Letho's incredibly slow. Just make sure that you're never in front of him - but behind, spam your own Quen for a buffer, wait for his to dissipate, then flog his back with heavy attacks. I had him down what felt like seconds. Roll. Roll. Roll.

Dresden

Done with chapter two on Iorveth's path and despite some good moments here and there, I think Roche's path is far superior--better focused, with a better setting and a better cast of characters. Iorveth's path has felt so loose and ramshackle compared to Roche, and Roche himself is just a more interesting character (imo ofc).

2AdEPT

end of act 1 right? I wasn't a good enough player my first playthrough on Dark at that point to use the recommendations above....I watched youtube but all the videos wereon easy-normal. I was able to get by him by taking advantage of his slow movement
running around like a chicken in a circle arounf the perimeter of the area, rollig often, using quen, then laying a snare trap...kept circling, quenning, then laying a trap...usually got hit once with quen on wihle dukcing down to lay traps, but the quen kept me alive...layed at least 15 traps, he didn't hit all of them...amybe 10? Then cutscene.

Zabojnik

Just finished downloading and installed the EE patch. Can somebody point me to a walkthrough / guide that covers the new quests / content in the Enhanced Edition? Where to look, how to get there ... I can't afford to start the game from scratch and since I still have my savegames I'd just like to check out the new stuff. Thanks!

HooYaH

Just finished downloading and installed the EE patch. Can somebody point me to a walkthrough / guide that covers the new quests / content in the Enhanced Edition? Where to look, how to get there ... I can't afford to start the game from scratch and since I still have my savegames I'd just like to check out the new stuff. Thanks!

I think new stuff is only enabled if you start a new game.

Dresden

Yeah, after Flotsam, Vergen wasn't as swell as hoped, but Saskia > * thus the world continues in balance.

Saskia is pretty cool, I guess. Not the biggest fan of her design though--why does her armor need a v line down her cleavage?

Iorveth is far more sympathetic than I thought he'd be, but he hasn't matched up to Roche so far. Being away for like 2/3 of the chapter might have something to do with it.

Yeah, after Flotsam, Vergen wasn't as swell as hoped, but Saskia > * thus the world continues in balance.

Yeah, but she
is into dwarves. They have cool beards, at least. And Zoltan's hair is pretty bitching

Also, Lesbomancy!

edit: I was just doing some browsing of the wiki, and I was worried that Saskia
was only like ten years old. And you were all creepers by default. Why? Because Geralt meets her father in a short story. He can't have kids, so that means that she is born after the story, or possibly she is a dragon child that he adopts and raises as his own. This also occurred in a short story.
. However, Geralt is apparently over 100 (!) years old. So this story easily could have occurred much earlier in his life.

Saskia is pretty cool, I guess. Not the biggest fan of her design though--why does her armor need a v line down her cleavage?

Iorveth is far more sympathetic than I thought he'd be, but he hasn't matched up to Roche so far. Being away for like 2/3 of the chapter might have something to do with it.

WHY? Why?

I think it is automatic, unlike the poster above. But there is apparently a bug or something in Vergen. Not sure if it is affecting all or just some.

Anyways, there is one unique quest for each path on the final chapter, and there are travelogues between chapters narrated by Dandelion, and an epilogue scene also narrated by Dandelion.

Dresden

The quest Secrets of Loc Muinne was great. Way more enjoyable than its counterpart in Roche's path, Lilies and Vipers.

I ended up killing Adalbert but not Cynthia. Wish I'd looked in on someone other than Triss, though. Hopefully I can find some youtube videos of them.

Also the damage of this alchemy build is pretty nuts right now. 240 or so damage per swing if I get Thunderbolt and Rook potions loaded up. No idea what it'll be like once I pop Berserk.

Zabojnik

That sounds kind of worrying. I was about the re-load a save but can I get a confirmation on that?

I too would like a confirmation, please. If the new quests are new-game only, then I guess I'll have to look for Lillies and Vipers and The Secrets of Loc Muinne savegames of the PC version. Or kindly ask somebody to send them to me. :)

Minsc

Gold Member
That sounds kind of worrying. I was about the re-load a save but can I get a confirmation on that?

It's mentioned here that a few different people have had success loading saves from Chapter 2, but you definitely can't load a Chapter 3 save to see the new Chapter 3 content. New game is "recommended," but it seems to work fine for some people just loading a save before Chapter 3.

ExReey

Yeah, but she
is into dwarves. They have cool beards, at least. And Zoltan's hair is pretty bitching

Also, Lesbomancy!

edit: I was just doing some browsing of the wiki, and I was worried that Saskia
was only like ten years old. And you were all creepers by default. Why? Because Geralt meets her father in a short story. He can't have kids, so that means that she is born after the story, or possibly she is a dragon child that he adopts and raises as his own. This also occurred in a short story.
. However, Geralt is apparently over 100 (!) years old. So this story easily could have occurred much earlier in his life.

WHY? Why?

I think it is automatic, unlike the poster above. But there is apparently a bug or something in Vergen. Not sure if it is affecting all or just some.

Anyways, there is one unique quest for each path on the final chapter, and there are travelogues between chapters narrated by Dandelion, and an epilogue scene also narrated by Dandelion.

There is indeed a game-stopping bug in the EE when using pre-EE savegames, I ran into it last night.
It is near the end of Vergen (act II), where you have to turn some wheel that isn't there. It happens for EVERYONE when using pre-EE savegames in the EE, but it only affects the Iorvath storyline; Roche branch is clear.

Zabojnik

I'll post this here too ...

"Guys, do any of you happen to still have Witcher 2 savegames, PC version? I'm trying to get quick access to the two new Act III quests in the Enhanced Edition. What I need is a Roche's path savegame (I already have them for Iovereth's path) from the very end of Act II. The game autosaves after the battle of Vergen ('Vergen Besieged'), when Saskia confronts the defeated king ... that's what I need, ideally, so to minimize the time needed to get to Act III. If you load an Act III savegame directly, the quests do not activate, apparently.

Can you help a fellow monster hunter out? The savegame folder is located under \Users\<User>\Documents\Witcher 2\savegames. You can find which savegame is which by comparing the timestamps. Thanks!"

I'd really appreciate it. Seems to be working for Iovereth's path, I just got the 'Secrets of Loc Muinne' quest.

Goddammit, if I press the 'roll' button I want to roll, not stand around like an idiot waiting for Letho to gut me. I ultimately just stopped using Quen and spamming Aard the moment his Quen ran out, ultimately worked in my favor. Still though, it's bullshit that mine gets knocked down by one hit and he can deflect bullets like a tank with his.

This shit is infuriating. I can't even begin to imagine what Dark Mode would be like, just that I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole.

WX3

Done with chapter two on Iorveth's path and despite some good moments here and there, I think Roche's path is far superior--better focused, with a better setting and a better cast of characters. Iorveth's path has felt so loose and ramshackle compared to Roche, and Roche himself is just a more interesting character (imo ofc).
Totally agree. I played Roches path when the pc version launched. Picked up the 360.version and ran through it with Iorveth. Now I am replaying it with Roche on the 360. Iam not a fan of the setting of the Iorveth path. That is my main gripe if I have one! Either path is worth experiencing though which is a nice achievement by CDPR.

Grisby

Goddammit, if I press the 'roll' button I want to roll, not stand around like an idiot waiting for Letho to gut me. I ultimately just stopped using Quen and spamming Aard the moment his Quen ran out, ultimately worked in my favor. Still though, it's bullshit that mine gets knocked down by one hit and he can deflect bullets like a tank with his.

This shit is infuriating. I can't even begin to imagine what Dark Mode would be like, just that I'm not touching it with a ten foot pole.
The spell that immobilizes guy's is a lifesaver. It's pretty much the only spell I ever used.

Stay away and roll like mad. Use a trap spell. When he gets caught in it go in and attack his back. Only do like 2-3 hits before rolling back away.

Lulubop

Hmmm, I think the
Conspiracy Theory
quest is bugged in my game. It says wait for events to unfold, which are suppose to take play after
The blood curse
quest is completed, however I'm at the very end of the chapter and nothing.

Hmmm, I think the
Conspiracy Theory
quest is bugged in my game. It says wait for events to unfold, which are suppose to take play after
The blood curse
quest is completed, however I'm at the very end of the chapter and nothing.

I don't think you can complete the chapter unless you advance the quest, so I will assume you are probably just not far enough.

Top Bottom