• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

pahamrick

Minsc said:
I'm also in the camp the patch was pulled for a reason, something must have been majorly messed up in it, I'll continue to wait.

Well, one of the dev's posted the patch itself is ready and the problem lies with the DLC. Personally, I've played about half an hour with the patch and haven't had any problems -- and my DLC still works fine.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Nekrono said:
To all the people complaining aobut the LOD being broken after the hotfix... It's not AMD's driver, I had this happen to me too and I thought it was the driver being broken or something, I rolled back and still same issue.

What's causing this is the user.ini being modified after the game detects a new driver or something, if you go into the game settings you will see that the "Texture Memory Size" is set to "Very Small" which is a value of 100 in the user.ini and that is causing less texture, LOD to be streamed.

Switch it back to the setting you had before and everything will be back to normal.
I assume the user ini can get fucked up if you use RadeonPro to fake another GPU vendor id as well? So that in combination with new drivers, yeah. I'll definitely check out the memory size once I get a chance to do so. This topic is wonderful :) I love Gaf for its tech'yness

Edit: Did we ever get a clear answer on the game fucking up in later stages due to using the GoG.exe? If so, I might go back to the start of chapter 1 and redo everything, I wouldn't want the game to go Earthbound on my ass

Minsc

Gold Member
pahamrick said:
Well, one of the dev's posted the patch itself is ready and the problem lies with the DLC. Personally, I've played about half an hour with the patch and haven't had any problems -- and my DLC still works fine.

Yup, I see the update on The Witcher's website:

The good news is that the patch is ready. The bad news is that we have encountered some problems with the server infrastructure, making downloading DLCs impossible. We want to apologize to our fans for not meeting our target of delivering the patch last night. We will update you when we know more.

So you're right, no need to worry. They really did just about everything wrong when it came to the DLC/launcher, except making it free.

Dynamic3

I'm getting some weird flickering on the edges of certain textures, for instance in Geralt's hair or the edges of the wood floors in the opening scene in the tower.

Any ideas? I'm running a 560Ti.

Akkad

Banned
I have said this before and I'll say it again, for a developer that runs a site that sells digital content they sure as hell have a hard time with DLC and servers.

Ricker

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Ugh, after all this tweaking, I overlooked the worst new issue of all: I have lost all voices..

Happened a few times for me as well,they will randomly come back...always seemed to happen doing Indecent Proposal quest in chapter 1 for me.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Gonna try the international install patcher. If they want to make the next patch make this one obsolete then so be it.

Minsc said:
I'm also in the camp the patch was pulled for a reason, something must have been majorly messed up in it, I'll continue to wait.

80c is low for a 295, it's normal to be at 90c when overclocked and 85c when running stock cooling.
I would seriously consider an aftermarket cooler. I got an Accelero Xtreme Pro for my 6950 and temps have gone down almost 30C while idle and 25 while in game. It's a more enthusiast route but even if not OC'ing, the fan noise is significantly less quiet while deliver much better performance.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
gdt5016 said:
Hopefully the new patch will get me my original performance that the new driver fucked up.
Is Texture Optimization or whatever turned on in Catalyst AI settings? I got terribad framerates with it off on the new drivers (previous ones it didn't seem to matter) after turning it back on I got better framerates than before .

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I barely had enough time to do part of the prologue yesterday, but i'm surprised at how well this game run on ultra(with ubersampling off). And how well it looks. If games on the Cafe are like this, i won't complain!
The difference in framerates is huge with ubersampling turned off, i wonder what it does exactly though.

Also, the music is already pretty damn good so far.

LiquidMetal14

International patch does work on my US retail. Gonna try it now.

It reset my settings in video though, so people know.

epmode

Akkad said:
I have said this before and I'll say it again, for a developer that runs a site that sells digital content they sure as hell have a hard time with DLC and servers.
The problem is that GOG's usual business doesn't really have anything to do with modern games. They don't need to bother with a patching system since their games have been out for years. On the off-chance that GOG really does need to update the game, they just replace the server-side installer and everyone who wants it will have to uninstall/reinstall the game.

gdt

Easy_D said:
Is Texture Optimization or whatever turned on in Catalyst AI settings? I got terribad framerates with it off on the new drivers (previous ones it didn't seem to matter) after turning it back on I got better framerates than before .

Yeah, it's on.

LiquidMetal14

Ok the patch definitely increased my load times to boot up and in game loads. Now it's like the GOG version but in-game, it seems to load faster and more seamless for me.

A couple of reference screens.

I was getting about 42fps in my initial run of this....

witcher22011-05-2608-2and3.png

And this shot shows more of the DoF and some blur and I was getting about 35 before, now....

witcher22011-05-2608-2mnru.png

I remember these two specific shots in the game and I am definitely getting more performance now.

epmode

I really wish all of the people talking about massive improvements would let us know if they're using SLI or Crossfire. Because I think they are.

M.D

LiquidMetal14 said:
Ok the patch definitely increased my load times to boot up and in game loads. Now it's like the GOG version but in-game, it seems to load faster and more seamless for me.

A couple of reference screens.

I was getting about 42fps in my initial run of this....

And this shot shows more of the DoF and some blur and I was getting about 35 before, now....

I remember these two specific shots in the game and I am definitely getting more performance now.

What patch are you talking about? the AMD patch? what card do you have? Will it with my HD4870?

LiquidMetal14

I'm on a single 6950 flashed to 6970 with 950/1450 OC. No CF.

I'm referring to the international patch on the last page.

M.D

LiquidMetal14 said:
I'm on a single 6950 flashed to 6970 with 950/1450 OC. No CF.

Gives me hope, gonna try it now!

Can you provide a link?

I'm assuming you are talking about that AMD patch

gdt

Hahah, now, even If I put it to low spec, I'm still pulling slightly worse performance than yesterday (where I was high with some stuff like SSAO turned off). Won't go past 30 fps. Something is really wrong.

LiquidMetal14

Domcorleone said:
International patch: I heard it works in USA as well...

http://www.filefactory.com/file/c292080/n/Patcher_International.exe
I used this patch. MAKE SURE YOU GO BACK TO YOUR ORIGINAL EXE AND INI.

Or else it will not install. It's legit. And it will likely reset you graphics settings so don't forget to edit those and your ini again.

gdt5016 said:
Hahah, now, even If I put it to low spec, I'm still pulling slightly worse performance than yesterday. Won't go past 30 fps. Something is really wrong.
Just so we're clear, this is with the new AMD hotfix and the new patch?

Give it a try if you haven't patched. It eliminated another annoying thing I was getting upon bootup but that's a separate issue.

Sanjay

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Ugh, after all this tweaking, I overlooked the worst new issue of all: I have lost all voices..

I run into this issue now and then too, what I do is reload the save file again and it works. Really irritating though and I can't seem to figure out what is causing it.

Solo

I've been playing the game (Steam version) since day one, and I've had no issues. Shocking to see so many having these crazy problems.

LiquidMetal14

M.D said:
Gives me hope, gonna try it now!

Can you provide a link?

I'm assuming you are talking about that AMD patch
The AMD patch did not break or make the game worse. It did reset my visual settings in-game but that's not a big deal. I would say that it's safe as it works fine for me. Now the patch for the game, that did more.

gdt

LiquidMetal14 said:
Just so we're clear, this is with the new AMD hotfix and the new patch?

Give it a try if you haven't patched. It eliminated another annoying thing I was getting upon bootup but that's a separate issue.

Nope. I updated to the new AMD driver, but that killed my performance, like by 20 fps, rolled back the driver in my device manager, and that helped, but not back to my original level. I've been trying to manually download 11.5a, but all of the AMD download links are change to b, the new driver.

rabhw

Nekrono said:
To all the people complaining aobut the LOD being broken after the hotfix... It's not AMD's driver, I had this happen to me too and I thought it was the driver being broken or something, I rolled back and still same issue.

What's causing this is the user.ini being modified after the game detects a new driver or something, if you go into the game settings you will see that the "Texture Memory Size" is set to "Very Small" which is a value of 100 in the user.ini and that is causing less texture, LOD to be streamed.

Switch it back to the setting you had before and everything will be back to normal.

Sorry, but that's simply not the case with me. Both the configuration app, and my user.ini both have the values set for "Very Large".

Screenshots earlier in the thread clearly demonstrate what I was talking about with the leaves popping in horribly now.

Echoplx

Anyone with a high res screen (and the new retail patch) see if they fixed the bug that stopped the game from launching please :)

Binabik15

How do I use the patch? Simply run it or back-up my exe because it´ll overwrite it or something even more esoteric?

UK retail version here (plus ati card, but i haven´t updated, I´ll wait till the hotfix is fixed ).

LiquidMetal14

Binabik15 said:
How do I use the patch? Simply run it or back-up my exe because it´ll overwrite it or something even more esoteric?

UK retail version here (plus ati card, but i haven´t updated, I´ll wait till the hotfix is fixed ).
As long as you have your original exe and paul.dll in there then you should be fine. Don't patch it if you've replaced your original files. It won't let it.

Again, it's worth going back now because they fixed the bootup and the load times.

Binabik15

Hm, it says installed game invalid or incomplete. I´m on the standard install, though.

Meh, I guess I can live with my current performance until they have all of this worked out in a week or so.

LiquidMetal14

May definitely vary but I'm on US retail and no issues with the patch. It seems like just a waiting game now as performance and such is definitely going to happen. It's just a matter of when.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hmm, I wonder :

Will this new patch make the game perform as if I used the gog.exe and dll? ( i.e perfect performance? ) Or will I yet again do a "fix" after this patch?

LiquidMetal14

Corky said:
Hmm, I wonder :

Will this new patch make the game perform as if I used the gog.exe and dll? ( i.e perfect performance? ) Or will I yet again do a "fix" after this patch?
Yes, from my experience. Loads are faster, bootup is under 5 seconds for me. It used to be about 30-ish, no joke. Performance is better but that may vary. The patch takes care of the big issues with me though, loads/bootup.

Not that it was bad before but when using the GOG exe, it was the way it's supposed to be. Now it's on even ground if not slightly better (feels this way to me).

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
LiquidMetal14 said:
Yes, from my experience. Loads are faster, bootup is under 5 seconds for me. It used to be about 30-ish, no joke. Performance is better but that may vary. The patch takes care of the big issues with me though, loads/bootup.

Not that it was bad before but when using the GOG exe, it was the way it's supposed to be. Now it's on even ground if not slightly better (feels this way to me).

Nice, good news.

Salaadin

gdt5016 said:
Nope. I updated to the new AMD driver, but that killed my performance, like by 20 fps, rolled back the driver in my device manager, and that helped, but not back to my original level. I've been trying to manually download 11.5a, but all of the AMD download links are change to b, the new driver.

Man, of all the people to have issues, its you. Youre having a rough go with this game. I feel for ya.
Have you tried bouncing back to regular 11.5 before any hotfixes?

Try this:
-Make sure you still have the 11.5b installer. If not, redownload it.
-Download and Install Driver Sweeper
-Go to AMDs website and download regular 11.5 HERE
-Run the 11.5b installer but when it asks "Install" or "Uninstall", select "Uninstall" and then "Express". This will remove the drivers from your computer.
-Reboot
-Your resolution will be screwed up now but dont worry. Run Driver Sweeper and select "AMD - Display" and click "Clean". Itll remove any leftovers that the uninstaller didnt grab.
-Reboot when it tells you to.
-Install original 11.5 using "Express" settings.
-Reboot
-Double check your Witcher 2 settings to make sure all of the display settings are what you want.

These drivers are before the 11.5a hotfix but they might work better than the 11.5b for you. I cant make any guarantees that they will but since 11.5b is screwed for you and 11.5a is hard to find now, it might be your best bet until 11.6 is released.

I also think that I still have the 11.5a installer on my hard drive. Im at work now and cant upload it but if you want, I can put it up somewhere when I get home but that probably wont be until 7-8:00pm EST.

You can also just wait it out and see if AMD does an 11.5c hotfix and try that or if The Witcher 2 patch will improve things any further for you.

fanboi said:
I wonder the same thing...
Theres a separate .exe in the GOG install directory called "patcher" and running this checks for any updates. Im assuming thats what we have to do.
Running patcher seems to revert my TW2 settings back to defaults though and I have to re-do everything.

so any of you guys running the gog patch

do you notice any fps improvements?

did you get indoor framerate improvement?

Also I take it you can still load your old saves.

spicy cho

Can anyone post when the update gets rolled out on steam for those of us who own it there? Just want to confirm when it happens in case I don't notice.

gdt

Gave uninstalling the game a shot, but when I reinstalled, it said the installation wasn't complete or something. Then it wouldn't launch from the launcher. Uninstalled again, reinstalling now.

All this shit is a major pain.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
gdt5016 said:
Gave uninstalling the game a shot, but when I reinstalled, it said the installation wasn't complete or something. Then it wouldn't launch from the launcher. Uninstalled again, reinstalling now.

All this shit is a major pain.

Damn man, you've had some shitty luck with this game.

gdt

I GOT THE SAME FUCKING THING. WHAT THE FUCK.

Game won't launch now, it keeps installing incorrectly.

Edit: When I try to re-patch it : "Installed game version is invalid or incomplete."

nextgeneration said:
How do you get full screen to run? I can only run this in windows.

click options (formerly video options or video and graphics) and there should be an option to enable full screen.

If you're using the international patch, it reset your settings.

Top Bottom