• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Tokubetsu

mileS said:
I'm starting to get pissed off here. Everything from AMD's "patience is needed" to the continued server issues from CDprojekt thats delaying the patch for everyone (I recall them saying the server issues would be flawless and fixed about 5-6 days ago). Maybe i'm expecting a little much from both sides but I just wish these people could have most of these issues sorted BEFORE the game launch for once.

I also have a bad feeling AMD will respond with something like "oops! looks like we can't fix this until 11.6"

This is AMD drivers we're talking about here. No doubt we wont get a fix until a week from now and it'll break something else.

Echoplx

Tokubetsu said:
This is AMD drivers we're talking about here. No doubt we wont get a fix until a week from now and it'll break something else.

At least you're getting something, still no drivers for Nvidia.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Tokubetsu said:
AMD are so cool they don't even know how to fix their OpenGL support properly. Stranger's Wrath is still semi-broken on AMD gpu's.

Grr, come on CDPR, get that patch back online ):

Minsc

Gold Member
Easy_D said:
AMD are so cool they don't even know how to fix their OpenGL support properly. Stranger's Wrath is still semi-broken on AMD gpu's.

From what I understand, that's the least of that game's problems. I remember numerous posts saying to stay clear of it at all costs.

Easy_D said:

ATI always had shitty OpenGL support and the AMD takeover didn't change that. They're quite lucky that Microsoft basically erased OpenGL games for the desktop with the Xbox 360. DirectX Box, indeed.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
3chopl0x said:
I'm on 270.61 and it works great for me. GTX 295, pulling 45-60 (mostly 45).
Used to have 70% GPU usage, changed the SLi profile to a 4 (or was it a 2) in the sequence and its at 95% load. Nice boost, no issues yet.

Server maintenance
May 26, 2011, 9:11 p.m.

Currently the patch servers are being updated with the new patch version 1.1. As soon as the servers are back online you will be able to download the latest patch. Your patience is appreciated and we will inform you as soon as the patch servers are back online.

Angst

lol51 said:
i had a similar issue where voices didn't work but music did. Initially, everything worked. It turns out that I had to downgrade my 7.1 surround sound audio to generic audio drivers to fix it.

If closing and reopening the game -> restarting the pc doesn't work maybe that's your issue too.

edit: my device is the Logitech G35
I fixed the sound issue after reading about it on GOG.

If anyone else gets the same issue: start a new game, save and then load your actual save game. Voila, sound is back to normal.

HooYaH

3chopl0x said:

Is there anything wrong with the nvidia drivers? The 3d vision fix is in the next patch and SLI had to deal with the retail DRM.

Hazaro said:
I'm on 270.61 and it works great for me. GTX 295, pulling 45-60 (mostly 45).
Used to have 70% GPU usage, changed the SLi profile to a 4 (or was it a 2) in the sequence and its at 95% load. Nice boost, no issues yet.
You have light bleeding through walls.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
L0st Id3ntity said:
You have light bleeding through walls.

I actually thought this was a feature ("Cool, I can see the glow of light sources in tents through the fabric of the tent"), but then I saw these weird white glares in caves and I realized it was a bug. Still staying with the hotfix since it makes my fps so much faster.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
EternalGamer said:
It says go to the GoG website for the GoG version of the patch but I don't see a patch anywhere on GoG. Can someone enlighten me?

You can find the patch when you click on your account and then check the download files of the witcher, the patch is the last file.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So the patch is up, but their auto-update servers are not? ):
Are patches universal or do I need to wait for the appropriate DRM'd patch for d2d?

What I noticed with the new patch:

- No longer need to lower my res to launch the game.
- No performance gains for my gog version, though the frame rate isn't fluctuating as mad as before, maybe it's placebo I'm not sure :lol.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
3chopl0x said:
Yeah it replaces the entire pack0.dzip because Steam can't modify files within archives.
Sounds like Steam is in need of an update, or at the very least allow external patchers for these kind of situations. Like, steam downloads the necessary files for the patching, and the launcher automatically detects it, patches the files and BAM.

epmode

Easy_D said:
Sounds like Steam is in need of an update, or at the very least allow external patchers for these kind of situations. Like, steam downloads the necessary files for the patching, and the launcher automatically detects it, patches the files and BAM.
That sounds like a massive change to the way Steam does things for little benefit. Very few games are structured this way and most developers have realized that they shouldn't dump 90% of their content into a single file since they're only going to screw over their capped Steam customers.

One of the things I really like about Steam is how there really isn't any installation. Once it's downloaded, everything's set up. We almost never have to re-install a game for troubleshooting purposes since validating the files accomplishes the same thing.

desu said:
How long are these people developing games again??? Thats just ridiculouso.o
Well Witcher was their first game, and this is their first engine, so I guess not really that long in the grand scheme of things.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Minsc said:
From what I understand, that's the least of that game's problems. I remember numerous posts saying to stay clear of it at all costs.
Oh they cleared out most things, game runs smooth now and supports most resolutions iirc. But no use playing it as it is since they've confirmed the PS3 HD assets will be patched into the PC port as well.

The only real issue I have with the game right now is AMD's shitty OpenGL rendering, something about transperent textures not working correctly (Windows and water looks like a mess).

Domstercool said:
Wow! Ati hotfix + patch = 90-110 fps in flotsam O_O max settings no uber! on me 6990
What CPU you got, sir?

Rufus

Easy_D said:
So the patch is up, but their auto-update servers are not? ):
Are patches universal or do I need to wait for the appropriate DRM'd patch for d2d?
http://en.thewitcher.com/patch/ Ctrl+F "International version"

North America, Europe, Asia retail AND all other downloadable versions of the game (Direct2Drive, Impulse, Gamers Gate, Amazon, Trymedia, GameFly, BestBuy, Nexway, Ztorm, Gamesload, NBG e-shop, and any other Atari* or Namco Bandai versions or affiliates versions) with the exception of the GOG.com version (see notes below)

Polk

Easy_D said:
Thank you good sir! Most kind of you! So they removed the DRM early huh? What did it accomplish again? Other than screwing legitimate users over for a week.
Game didn't leak before release date. That's more than most games.

CDProjekt Red said:
Other notable improvements include frame rate increases of approximately up to 30%, especially noticeable on DRMed versions

Validation is sweet indeed. Looks like CDP came to the same conclusions I did earlier in the thread.

Remember when everyone was shouting 'placebo'? Haha.

Domstercool said:
Wow! Ati hotfix + patch = 90-110 fps in flotsam O_O max settings no uber! on me 6990

Did the patch improve the frame rate or is it more so the hotfix that's caused your huge spike in fps? Or is it a combination of both?

When Steam does an operation like this what is going on, downloading and simultaneously writing over files? So there's no cache or something I should delete afterwords?

I ask because I deleted my previous TW2 full game backup to re-backitup after this patch and was just wondering.

edit: No more res lowering?!?!? REEJOICCEEE!

Echoplx

scorpscarx said:
When Steam does an operation like this what is going on, downloading and simultaneously writing over files? So there's no cache or something I should delete afterwords?

I ask because I deleted my previous TW2 full game backup to re-backitup after this patch and was just wondering.

edit: No more res lowering?!?!? REEJOICCEEE!

I noticed it deleted pack0.dzip before re-downloading it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
jett said:
Framerate improvements for low-spec systems? I guess I'll give W2 another try with this patch.
The framerate improvement is due to the removal of the shitty DRM, so if you tried the GoG exe fix, this will yield the same results.

I hope they release *real* performance updates soon. Runs the same as with the GoG exe fix for me, acceptable framerates :D. But the texture loading still sucks, it took a full on 11 seconds for it to load all the textures in the fuckign Inn. It loads them faster outside, which is kind of..odd.

jett

D-Member
Easy_D said:
The framerate improvement is due to the removal of the shitty DRM, so if you tried the GoG exe fix, this will yield the same results.

I hope they release *real* performance updates soon. Runs the same as with the GoG exe fix for me, acceptable framerates :D. But the texture loading still sucks, it took a full on 11 seconds for it to load all the textures in the fuckign Inn. It loads them faster outside, which is kind of..odd.

:| I want to play W2 so badly, I also would like to understand why it runs as badly as my desire to play it. :p

Top Bottom