• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

Saige

I must do better.
Yeah I think I have the same problem as you Varna. I’m only is chapter 2 but I seem to have your issue with the rocks but with grass.

Everything worked fine last week, seemed fine after I used the hotfix for my GPU, but I really noticed it after reinstalling the game to get the new patch.

Going to try some of the solutions people suggested to you and see if it helps.

Varna

gdt5016 said:
Yikes Varna.

Yeah. Patch screwed me over big time. :(

Anywhere I can complain were the devs just might happen to see?

On the plus side, I was testing out all the presets to see if I had the issue with all of them (I did), I found out I don't like Ubersampling. Makes things look way too blurry.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The game is about as good as it can get from performance for me at this point. Of course some more fine tuning can happen but I'm getting 60fps with everything but bloom, motion blur, and uber on. Could not be happier except for the dithering shadows.

Re-installed and patched the game. I had to re-install because I think using the GoG.exe fucked up some things.

Anyway, LOD is still shit, but the performance is now the smoothest it's been. Now: DONT. FUCKING. TOUCH... ANYTHING!

I do really think they need to ditch their streaming engine though, since most performance hiccups tie in directly with loading new areas. I'd just prefer a loading screen (so much for "you will only ever see 4 loads in the Witcher 2" lol).

3chopl0x said:

Um, is this alright to post here?

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Um, is this alright to post here?

All the DLC they've released so far has been free so I don't see why not.

jett

D-Member
Well I've decided to play this game, but the crap framerate is unfortunately really messing with my fun-o-meter. Maybe I'll just play the intro part for now.

Minsc

Gold Member
So the gamepad thing really sucks, analogs aren't working correctly, probably won't play until this is fixed.

Also, my framerate halved, went from ~45fps in Flotsam to low 20s, so bad (yes, I did the config tool again, same way as before, have it memorized). Hopefully the next patch fixes things for me. Things were disappearing closer than I remember as well.

LiquidMetal14

Why is the gamepad thing in the menus bad? I use nothing but the d-pad in the menus and it works even better now. I haven't experienced anything in game play yet so the verdict is still out. Been flawless while emulating a 360 pad with motionjoy.

Minsc

Gold Member
LiquidMetal14 said:
Why is the gamepad thing in the menus bad? I use nothing but the d-pad in the menus and it works even better now. I haven't experienced anything in game play yet so the verdict is still out. Been flawless while emulating a 360 pad with motionjoy.

Well it doesn't work in certain game scenes as well, dunno if there's more than the ballista in the prologue, but you can't read journal entries that need scrolling now, before you could use the right stick to scroll down.

gdt

Does the D-Pad have full access to the radial menu? I guess I can use my mouse for the pause menu stuff if I have to.

LiquidMetal14

gdt5016 said:
Does the D-Pad have full access to the radial menu? I guess I can use my mouse for the pause menu stuff if I have to.
That's all I use. This is why the complaints about using it in menus baffled me. I guess it's just me.

Aeana

Dpad works all right for the radial menu, but it doesn't solve the other issues.
If you select gamepad in the menu, it hides the mouse cursor... the mouse is still there but there's no way to tell exactly where it is on the screen unless a UI element is highlighted on mouseover or something. If you manage to get the mouse over one of the scrollable areas in the menu, you can use the mouse wheel to scroll... but it's really clunky and I'm not up to dealing with that sort of thing, so I'm fine playing on 1.0 for now.

Minsc

Gold Member
Apparently other people are experiencing the patch halving the framerate like I am. Seems a possible solution is to delete the game entirely and reinstall. Hmm, guess I'll give that a shot.

gdt5016 said:

I always used analog for radial menu, that no longer works either :(

gdt

Aeana said:
Dpad works all right for the radial menu, but it doesn't solve the other issues.
If you select gamepad in the menu, it hides the mouse cursor... the mouse is still there but there's no way to tell exactly where it is on the screen unless a UI element is highlighted on mouseover or something. If you manage to get the mouse over one of the scrollable areas in the menu, you can use the mouse wheel to scroll... but it's really clunky and I'm not up to dealing with that sort of thing, so I'm fine playing on 1.0 for now.

Oh...yeah, that's right. Fuck. Hopefully they fix that asap. Seems like a minor thing.

sflufan

Banned
Minsc said:
Apparently other people are experiencing the patch halving the framerate like I am. Seems a possible solution is to delete the game entirely and reinstall. Hmm, guess I'll give that a shot.

I always used analog for radial menu, that no longer works either :(

Just out of curiosity, what version do you have (Steam/GOG/retail)?

Minsc

Gold Member
sflufan said:
Just out of curiosity, what version do you have (Steam/GOG/retail)?

I'm using the Steam version, but if uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't fix my framerate with 1.1, I may switch to GOG so I can continue running 1.0 for the time being, incase 1.2 takes a long time to surface.

Cat in the Hat said:
Even after the Patch my framerate at the tavern is low. Such a strange problem, the whole game for me runs at 60 fps but that damn tavern in Flostan.

do you have nvidia card? installed driver with 3d vision? uninstall the 3d vision driver only.

ukas

Does anyone have a crazy light source that shines through objects after the patch? I'm using the ATI hotfix drivers.

sflufan

Banned
Minsc said:
I'm using the Steam version, but if uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't fix my framerate with 1.1, I may switch to GOG so I can continue running 1.0 for the time being, incase 1.2 takes a long time to surface.

Considering how truly screwed up the Steam version of the game appears to be (ie, having to redownload the entire game to install a 15mb patch), I'm not surprised.

Maybe you should try verifying the Steam cache files first before doing such a drastic measure!

sflufan

Banned
ukas said:
Does anyone have a crazy light source that shines through objects after the patch? I'm using the ATI hotfix drivers.

From what I understand, people were experiencing that before the patch. I think it's a problem with the ATi hotfix drivers.

ukas

sflufan said:
From what I understand, people were experiencing that before the patch. I think it's a problem with the ATi hotfix drivers.
Damn. It was working fine last night. I installed the patch when I got home and now I'm blinded half the time.

Aeana

Hey someone who's on 1.1, can you upload your Input_QWERTY.ini? I'm curious to compare it to mine to see if anything changed with the gamepad settings.

gdt5016 said:
IIRC, reinstall offline, so it doesn't automatically patch in 1.1.
Seems like other versions with DRM do activation and auto-download 1.1 at the same time, so I guess that won't work. And GOG version doesn't auto-download 1.1 so it wasn't necessary for me to be offline. Seems like non-GOG users are out of luck. :\

hmm. I'm happy with everything now, save having to run the game in a 1080p window, so I think I may hold off on patching. It looks like it could create issues where there were none before!

Varna

Blast Processing said:
hmm. I'm happy with everything now, save having to run the game in a 1080p window, so I think I may hold off on patching. It looks like it could create issues where there were none before!

Yes. So pissed right now. Can't roll back and I can't even contact support since I don't have a securerom key number (or whatever the fuck the ask when submitting a support question).

gdt

The Broken Ska Record said:
The game seems to run a little better now, but now the game recommended I run at Medium settings. :(

That's broken. Recommended the same to me, I'm getting 30-40 on highish.

gdt

Aeana said:
Hey someone who's on 1.1, can you upload your Input_QWERTY.ini? I'm curious to compare it to mine to see if anything changed with the gamepad settings.

IK_A=(Gamekey=GI_AxisLeftX,Value=-1.000000)
IK_Alt=(Gamekey=GI_LockTarget,Value=1.000000)
IK_C=(GameKey="GI_Character",Value=1)
IK_CapsLock=(Gamekey=GI_WalkFlag,Value=1.000000)
IK_D=(Gamekey=GI_AxisLeftX,Value=1.000000)
IK_Delete=(GameKey="GI_Cancel",Value=1)
IK_Down=(GameKey="GI_Down",Value=1)
IK_E=(Gamekey=GI_Block,Value=1.000000)
IK_Escape=(GameKey="GI_Exit",Value=1)
IK_F=(Gamekey=GI_CircleOfPower,Value=1.000000)
IK_I=(GameKey="GI_Inventory",Value=1)
IK_J=(GameKey="GI_Journal",Value=1)
IK_LControl=(Gamekey=GI_FastMenu,Value=1.000000)
IK_LShift=(Gamekey=GI_WalkSwitch,Value=1.000000)
IK_LeftMouse=(Gamekey=GI_AttackFast,Value=1.000000)
IK_M=(GameKey="GI_Nav",Value=1)
IK_MouseX=(GameKey="GI_MouseX",Value=1)
IK_MouseY=(GameKey="GI_MouseY",Value=1)
IK_Pad_A_CROSS=(Gamekey=GI_Accept_Evade,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_B_CIRCLE=(Gamekey=GI_UseAbility,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_Back_Select=(GameKey="GI_PanelSelector",Value=1)
IK_Pad_DigitDown=(Gamekey=GI_Holster,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_DigitLeft=(Gamekey=GI_Steel,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_DigitRight=(Gamekey=GI_Silver,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_DigitUp=(Gamekey=GI_Adrenaline,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_LeftAxisX=(Gamekey=GI_AxisLeftX,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_LeftAxisX=(Gamekey=GI_AxisLeftX,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_LeftAxisY=(Gamekey=GI_AxisLeftY,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_LeftAxisY=(Gamekey=GI_AxisLeftY,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_LeftShoulder=(Gamekey=GI_LockTarget,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_LeftThumb=(Gamekey=GI_Medallion,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_LeftTrigger=(Gamekey=GI_FastMenu,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_RightAxisX=(GameKey="GI_AxisRightX",Value=1)
IK_Pad_RightAxisY=(GameKey="GI_AxisRightY",Value=1)
IK_Pad_RightShoulder=(Gamekey=GI_UseItem,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_RightThumb=(Gamekey=GI_CircleOfPower,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_RightTrigger=(Gamekey=GI_Block,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_Start=(GameKey="GI_Exit",Value=1)
IK_Pad_X_SQUARE=(Gamekey=GI_AttackFast,Value=1.000000)
IK_Pad_Y_TRIANGLE=(Gamekey=GI_AttackStrong,Value=1.000000)
IK_Q=(Gamekey=GI_UseAbility,Value=1.000000)
IK_R=(Gamekey=GI_UseItem,Value=1.000000)
IK_RightMouse=(Gamekey=GI_AttackStrong,Value=1.000000)
IK_S=(Gamekey=GI_AxisLeftY,Value=-1.000000)
IK_Space=(Gamekey=GI_Accept_Evade,Value=1.000000)
IK_Up=(GameKey="GI_Up",Value=1)
IK_W=(Gamekey=GI_AxisLeftY,Value=1.000000)
IK_X=(Gamekey=GI_Adrenaline,Value=1.000000)
IK_Z=(Gamekey=GI_Medallion,Value=1.000000)
IK_F5=(Gamekey=GI_F5,Value=1.000000)

cleveridea said:
do you have nvidia card? installed driver with 3d vision? uninstall the 3d vision driver only.
Oh god I read that awhile back just forgot to do it. Thanks! Runs great now but playing the game in 3d looks amazing! Oh well

can someone upload the Direct2drive Exe and Paul.dll? i didn't back up the files when i replaced it with the GOG version, now im having problems updating

gdt

Hmm, I'm noticing pop in now. In the prologue, I see alot of the tents and trees popping in.

Checked my user.ini, and my texture memory is set to 400, when in the cofig it's set too very high. And for some reason, it says I don't have access to manually change it in notepad.

Varna

gdt5016 said:
Hmm, I'm noticing pop in now. In the prologue, I see alot of the tents and trees popping in.

Checked my user.ini, and my texture memory is set to 400, when in the cofig it's set too very high. And for some reason, it says I don't have access to manually change it in notepad.

Something is definitely up. Some people have mentioned it over at the GOG forums. God I hope it gets fixed too.

Minsc said:
Well it doesn't work in certain game scenes as well, dunno if there's more than the ballista in the prologue, but you can't read journal entries that need scrolling now, before you could use the right stick to scroll down.

Yep, total bullshit =(

gdt

Varna said:
Something is definitely up. Some people have mentioned it over at the GOG forums. God I hope it gets fixed too.

Mine doesn't seem to be as bad as yours though, but I only have the camp in the prologue to judge by.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I can't launch now. Getting this error: Unable to load cooked 'globals\gui\fonts\fonts.csv'. Make sure resource was gathered and check log for details.

gdt

DenogginizerOS said:
I can't launch now. Getting this error: Unable to load cooked 'globals\gui\fonts\fonts.csv'. Make sure resource was gathered and check log for details.

I was having a similar problem earlier. Uninstalling + deleting everything + reinstalling did the trick.

Do some more research before you try my method though, you could be having a different problem than I was.

LiquidMetal14

Any time I go into the video config tool, it resets my texture presets. I've been going from 1 display to another so I have to manually reset the rest all the while it resetting my texture budget. I have a backup custom ini ready but it is annoying. Odd that it set itself to low draw distance and low texture memory.

Saige

I must do better.
I still can’t fix the pop in issue, so I think I’m just going to take a break from the game till a solution is found. Hopefully it won’t be that long of a wait.

epmode

So whatever happened to cloud saving in the Steam version? Maybe they realized that we'd run out of storage space after 15 minutes of autosaving?

SPEAKING OF WHICH, is it really asking too much to just keep the last 2 or 3 autosaves and automatically overwrite the oldest one? I can't believe they still haven't figured this out yet.

Edgeward

Hmm, looks like I'll have to keep waiting on another patch. The amd hotfix helped improved the framerate considerably but it also takes odd dips and loads in strange places a smidge longer than usual. The analog bug is unfortunate to hear.

Sorry if this is answered but i have copy from D2D how would i get the patch anyway? Since the patch on gog is for gog copies only.

knitoe

Edgeward said:
Hmm, looks like I'll have to keep waiting on another patch. The amd hotfix helped improved the framerate considerably but it also takes odd dips and loads in strange places a smidge longer than usual. The analog bug is unfortunate to hear.

Sorry if this is answered but i have copy from D2D how would i get the patch anyway? Since the patch on gog is for gog copies only.
AMD hotfix cause light source to pass objects. I went back to 11.5a.

As for the game patch, I used the International version for D2D.

Edgeward said:

Official website has a patch for Digital Distribution copies. Use that.

Top Bottom