• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Can't do this part until tomorrow damnit. Had the kids around but damn the game keeps on smoking my eyes with eye candy.

witcher22011-05-2700-2vrvs.png

witcher22011-05-2700-2dste.png

witcher22011-05-2700-2hppr.png

Varna said:
Thank you. Do those extra commands actually do anything? Did not fix my issues sadly. :(

Did some quick fraps recordings...

Notice the plant... doesn't even change.. just kind of flickers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnFx2fTKt-I

Same deal with the rocks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkCADNdEKQ0

And this just looks horrible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8MbVDyrZDs

Same issue I'm having. Your on an ATI card though aren't you? Was yours caused by the hotfix or new patch?

Anyone using the custom config I posted (and that's been reposted) has to set user.ini to Read-Only in Windows or else it won't work. You'll also want a GPU that isn't challenged by Ultra (60+ fps constant.)

mileS

knitoe said:
AMD hotfix cause light source to pass objects. I went back to 11.5a.

As for the game patch, I used the International version for D2D.

do you run crossfire? I have the hotfix currently with no issues.

LiquidMetal14

ColonialRaptor said:
Hotfix reduced performance for me by 20fps with a 5970.

I had locked 60fps before now have 40fps and below in some areas... BLECK :/
What's your GPU/CPU again? Locked 60 with everything but uber on and tweaked ini?

I get no less than the mid 60's in any area and hover almost always above 75 anywhere in the game thus far with everything on but motion blur, vsync, bloom, and uber. Tweaking the ini actually helped my performance too even though I am increasing the workload. I guess it helps to have 2GB of dedicated GPU ram.

_Xenon_

Banned
What I noticed after 1.1 on my retail version and ati hd 5370:

- faster startup and 5-10 fps boost

- intro video and main menu video (the background of main menu is a video btw) are locked at 60fps instead of 140+ fps

- fixed the pad issues in attribution menu and mutagen menu

- most of the menu functions can only be controlled with 360 d pad which is horrible

LiquidMetal14

lol wow, I wish I took fraps screens with frame rates on my initial run of the prologue. The beginning with the dragon I was getting 35-40 and was happy at first. Now I'm at 70 when I decided to see today. Crazy.

LiquidMetal14 said:
What's your GPU/CPU again? Locked 60 with everything but uber on and tweaked ini?

I get no less than the mid 60's in any area and hover almost always above 75 anywhere in the game thus far with everything on but motion blur, vsync, bloom, and uber. Tweaking the ini actually helped my performance too even though I am increasing the workload. I guess it helps to have 2GB of dedicated GPU ram.

5970 stock with i7-860 @ 3.5 Ghz everyone on Ultra with Uber turned off and cinematic DOF also turned off otherwise it also kills frames.

_Xenon_ said:
What I noticed after 1.1 on my retail version and ati hd 5370:

- faster startup and 5-10 fps boost

- intro video and main menu video (the background of main menu is a video btw) are locked at 60fps instead of 140+ fps

- fixed the pad issues in attribution menu and mutagen menu

- most of the menu functions can only be controlled with 360 d pad which is horrible

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Not being able to scroll in the journal has killed it for me since I absorb every new piece of information. I'll wait for the upcoming patch.

Damn, this is good and bad... why can you not scroll in the journal??? WHAT KIND OF IDIOTIC IDIOTS BREAK A GAME WHEN THEY'RE FIXING IT FFS... GRRR WTF!?!!

LiquidMetal14

ColonialRaptor said:
5970 stock with i7-860 @ 3.5 Ghz everyone on Ultra with Uber turned off and cinematic DOF also turned off otherwise it also kills frames.
Guess it does make a difference between our specs as my flashed 6950, 8GB ram, 2500k at 4.5 has come though once a gain. I get into the 100's a lot. Especially indoors.

ColonialRaptor said:
Damn, this is good and bad... why can you not scroll in the journal??? WHAT KIND OF IDIOTIC IDIOTS BREAK A GAME WHEN THEY'RE FIXING IT FFS... GRRR WTF!?!!
New glitch with pad in 1.1.

Maybe you can scroll with the down button on KB? Sucks for sure.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Guess it does make a difference between our specs as my flashed 6950, 8GB ram, 2500k at 4.5 has come though once a gain. I get into the 100's a lot. Especially indoors.

Wholly wow... that's just.. wow - I have vsync turned on though so I don't know if mine can take me above 100, maybe I should turn it off.

_Xenon_

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
Not being able to scroll in the journal has killed it for me since I absorb every new piece of information. I'll wait for the upcoming patch.
I think you still can do that but only with 360 d-pad (or right stick) ?

I could be wrong though.

Edit:
Aeana said:
The 1.1 patch killed the ability to scroll with the right stick in menus with gamepads.
Damn that sucks. I didn't check it after the patch last night. Man CDProject needs to hire better UI designers seriously ... or roll back to TW1 UI layout which is way better IMO.

Aeana

_Xenon_ said:
I think you still can do that but only with 360 d-pad (or right stick) ?

I could be wrong though.
The 1.1 patch killed the ability to scroll with the right stick in menus with gamepads.

LiquidMetal14

ColonialRaptor said:
Wholly wow... that's just.. wow - I have vsync turned on though so I don't know if mine can take me above 100, maybe I should turn it off.

Most of the outdoors are at 70 and often upwards in the 80's with times that it goes much higher dependent on the scene. Extremely pleased with the performance.

witcher22011-05-2519-3gojb.png

witcher22011-05-2519-33pom.png

This and higher are the norm.

As I've said many times, only things off are vsync, bloom, motion blur for preferential reasons, and uber off. I noticed that even with motion blur I only lose less than 5fps though. I hate the effect thought.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. Very impressed with the performance gains from this patch.

I'm able to get pretty much the same FPS with AA on now that I got before the patch with it off. I'm getting high 30s - high 50s at 1920x1200, everything maxed, v-sync off, ubersampling off, AA on.

Hardware is as follows:

SB 2500k 3.3ghz
4GB DDR3 1600mhz
Radeon 5870 1GB

The game looks so much better with AA on.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Most of the outdoors are at 70 and often upwards in the 80's with times that it goes much higher dependent on the scene. Extremely pleased with the performance.

witcher22011-05-2519-3gojb.png

witcher22011-05-2519-33pom.png

This and higher are the norm.

As I've said many times, only things off are vsync, bloom, motion blur for preferential reasons, and uber off. I noticed that even with motion blur I only lose less than 5fps though. I hate the effect thought.

What res are you running actually? Did you down sample those screens?

Kevin

Does anyone know if the Nvidia beta drivers actually increase performance for The Witcher 2 over the regular April 18th drivers currently out? If so, by how much?

LiquidMetal14

Zefah said:
Wow. Very impressed with the performance gains from this patch.

I'm able to get pretty much the same FPS with AA on now that I got before the patch with it off. I'm getting high 30s - high 50s at 1920x1200, everything maxed, v-sync off, ubersampling off, AA on.

Hardware is as follows:

SB 2500k 3.3ghz
4GB DDR3 1600mhz
Radeon 5870 1GB

The game looks so much better with AA on.
It does look better with AA but uber does make it top notch.

Too bad MLAA makes it looks so washed out. Could use better AA but still looks beyond amazing. Dithering is my only real issue and that is easily ignored really.

Aeana said:

This is SO SO bad... I can't believe how bad this is, this means that I can't use the patch - I mean, my performance is fine so I don't really need the patch but HOW CAN SOMETHING LIKE THIS BE MISSED!?!

LiquidMetal14

ColonialRaptor said:
What res are you running actually? Did you down sample those screens?
1600x900, 1920x1080, and 1360x768.

These from this page are from my time with the game at 1360x768. Ironically enough, my performance does not really dip when going higher but I have to play it on this TV mostly due to family needs on the main screen.

I just played it tonight at 1080p and was at 70 and higher no matter what. Wish I took screen but only had it up for like 30 minutes as I couldn't hold onto the TV too long.

Maybe the 2GB of GPU ram while OC'ing the CPU and GPU are paying off here. I feel confident in running any game with this setup.

Off to bed. I will play a lot more tomorrow and get to that bath scene :p

ColonialRaptor said:
This is SO SO bad... I can't believe how bad this is, this means that I can't use the patch - I mean, my performance is fine so I don't really need the patch but HOW CAN SOMETHING LIKE THIS BE MISSED!?!

More importantly, do the devs know about it?

I hope so! =(

Bossniak

Varna said:
Notice the plant... doesn't even change.. just kind of flickers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnFx2fTKt-I

Same deal with the rocks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkCADNdEKQ0

And this just looks horrible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8MbVDyrZDs

Same issue I'm having. Your on an ATI card though aren't you? Was yours caused by the hotfix or new patch?

I think I'm getting the same issue. I had a hard time noticing it from your videos so I recorded one myself and is this what is happening in your videos?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4re-LfCfUcs&feature=youtube_gdata

Not actual spoiler
Bombcast is heard in the background. :p
I tried the user.ini settings and changing it to read only nothing works. I have a GTX460 1GB.

Aeana

AgentOtaku said:
More importantly, do the devs know about it?

I hope so! =(
Yes, they do. They even made a silly excuse for it, blaming it on all of the different versions they had to test or something like that.

Aeana said:
Yes, they do. They even made a silly excuse for it, blaming it on all of the different versions they had to test or something like that.

Whew!

Then, yeah, I'll just hold off on playing it until a hotfix or something comes out. Sucks I gotta wait yet again, but I got other stuff to hit up until then...

Haint

Trying to install the 1.1 patch on a boxed retail copy from BB--using the "International Version" download. Soon as I launch the exe is throws up an error "Invalid or Incomplete Installation" (or something to that effect). I think a few people have mentioned this. Is there any fix besides reinstalling? Also, I recall a couple people claiming their saves were corrupted and unreadable after a reinstall.

dejan

Minsc said:
So the gamepad thing really sucks, analogs aren't working correctly, probably won't play until this is fixed.

Also, my framerate halved, went from ~45fps in Flotsam to low 20s, so bad (yes, I did the config tool again, same way as before, have it memorized). Hopefully the next patch fixes things for me. Things were disappearing closer than I remember as well.
Fuck this shit. I'm gonna wait for the next patch before continuing my playthrough. You know, this couldn't be any messier if it was a shitty console port.

Schlomo

Boy am I glad I read this thread before using the patch. I'm happy with 1.0 and the Gog exe. Never touch a running system I guess.

_Xenon_

Banned
Reallink said:
Trying to install the 1.1 patch on a boxed retail copy from BB--using the "International Version" download. Soon as I launch the exe is throws up an error "Invalid or Incomplete Installation" (or something to that effect). I think a few people have mentioned this. Is there any fix besides reinstalling? Also, I recall a couple people claiming their saves were corrupted and unreadable after a reinstall.
Did you swap your thewitcher2.exe and paul.dll with the GOG version? You have to use your original files for the patch.

I patched the game last night and didn't run into any problem (boxed 2 dvd retail version).

knitoe

mileS said:
do you run crossfire? I have the hotfix currently with no issues.
Yes. CF 6970.

LiquidMetal14 said:
1600x900, 1920x1080, and 1360x768.

These from this page are from my time with the game at 1360x768. Ironically enough, my performance does not really dip when going higher but I have to play it on this TV mostly due to family needs on the main screen.

I just played it tonight at 1080p and was at 70 and higher no matter what. Wish I took screen but only had it up for like 30 minutes as I couldn't hold onto the TV too long.

Maybe the 2GB of GPU ram while OC'ing the CPU and GPU are paying off here. I feel confident in running any game with this setup.

Off to bed. I will play a lot more tomorrow and get to that bath scene :p
Sorry, but there's no way you are getting >70 fps @ 1080p with just a 6950. My CF 6970 only gets me ~80fps which is almost double after the hotfix.

11.5b hotfix:
witcher.png

Acidote

I can only use the Dpad on my Xbox 360 controller. The rest does nothing. I can't even confirm a dialogue option, only move between them :3

Does it require additional config or is it supposed to be plug and play?

knitoe

Acidote said:
I can only use the Dpad on my Xbox 360 controller. The rest does nothing. I can't even confirme a dialogue option, only move between them :3

Does it require additional config or is it supposed to be plug and play?
It's plug and play and built for the controller. Did you select controller under option > gameplay? I see the Xbox button letters during fist fights. But, for some reason, the patch makes it so you can only select menu with Dpad. You use to be able to use the left sticks too.

Angst

Is it possible to go from 1.1 version to 1.0 on the Steam version? I play with a 360 controller and the patch seems to have made things a lot worse.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
knitoe said:
Yes. CF 6970.

Sorry, but there's no way you are getting >70 fps @ 1080p with just a 6950. My CF 6970 only gets me ~80fps which is almost double after the hotfix.

11.5b hotfix:
witcher.png

That's where I am with SLI 560s awswell, like you that is.

Carm

So, my game went from running completely fine, couple of bugs nothing major. Now I load my latest save, gets in game, it freezes. Second time, it loads and this is what I see after a few moments, analog stick broken on radial menu:

nvm, video issues were caused by me, happened in other games. I must not have reseated my video card that well earlier tonight when cleaning. Radial Menu analog support being broken now sucks though, I'll have to go back to m+kb, which isn't all bad I guess.

Good job cd projeckt...

Didn't notice any fps gain on the GOG version.

M.D

The patch helped improve the FPS.
The game is playable on High with SSAO turned off at 1680*1050 - I'm sure it won't be later, because I'm at the opening prologue and haven't done anything yet, but I could change it to low when it becomes unplayable

I'm just wondering If I should install the AMD fix - did someone with an HD4870 tested it? does it help?

Binabik15

Hm, the patch from the website doesn´t work, either (gog patch didn´t work for me earlier).

UK retail version here. No different exe or dll used. Is it the crafting weight set to 0.1 mod, the foliagedistance setting copied into the config or is a re-install needed? If re-install corrupts saves, fuck CDProjekt´s amateur hour post-launch, I´ll play through it on 1.0 before risking my saves.

PS: Still can´t type in the register game/login fields. Crazy.

PPS: How long before a TW2 Enhanced Edition is needed?

Big-E

Have they said why the Steam version makes download the whole fucking game again just for a patch? It took me 3 days to download the fucking game and now it is going to take me another 3 days just to patch it. Fucking garbage.

Big-E said:
Have they said why the Steam version makes download the whole fucking game again just for a patch? It took me 3 days to download the fucking game and now it is going to take me another 3 days just to patch it. Fucking garbage.

Someone said it's the way Steam patches games that is to blame.

Manager

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Someone said it's the way Steam patches games that is to blame.

Yep, it can't update archieves and Witcher 2 data is basically one big zip file. So you have to re-download the whole big (updated) file.

sflufan

Banned
I'd seriously suggest that those of you with the Steam version turn your auto-updates for the game to OFF for the time being.

Sethos

Banned
Same thing happened with the Steam version of ArmA II - An update was released and you basically had to download the entire game again.

Facism

man my texture quality has taken a bloody nose dive since the patch. No matter what settings i use, i get terrible textures everywhere. Really annoying on my second playthrough. Everything seems to have taken a dip in quality, from the character models to the bricks in the walls and the mud on the ground. Going to have to reinstall, i think.

Top Bottom