• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 2: Performance Thread [Enhanced Edition Patch - New content & 100+ fixes]

BoobPhysics101 said:
Damn, this is some bullshit. On NoteBookReview forum, people are having really inconsistent results with this game.

People with 6970M's and 6970M Crossfire are getting bad results, and then there's this guy...

I don't know if he's bullshitting or not, but he gets +20 more FPS than me even when I switch down to 720p (Stays the same as 1080p) and my GPU destroys his.

crossifire isn't supported yet...

Game really doesnt seem to be any better optimized than the original

Corto

I had a noticeable FPS gain on my last test. And with a rather simple tweak... Just turned off FRAPS. ;)
I'm done with tweaking, let's play this puppy now!

Rufus

Darklord said:
I posted this in the OT but might be more suited here.

The auto-detection put everything on ultra, which won't work with my 260GTX. I went in to change them but it's all screwy and glitchy. I can't see half the options, only the tab to change or enable/disable. Can someone please print screen there advanced options so I can figure out which is the DOF and ubersampling?
Just start the configuration tool from The Witcher 2\bin, there's an option at the bottom to enable advanced options.

Corto said:
I did and had 0 performance gain. At least on the level that I played. My Post is at the top of this page (100 posts/page)

Yeah me too, framerate is still all over the place at times.

Nothing seems to affect it: 1080p, 720p, ultra, low, nothing.

Only noticeable change is of course toggling ubersampling on/off.

I'm starting to think it could really be a cpu bottleneck since other users with lesser gpus but stronger cpus are doing fine.

If that's the case, fuck it. I have a pretty good quad core, not some shabby old thing.

At first it didn't bother me that much, since the game was perfectly playable nonetheless. But now it feels sluggish (chapter 2).

Hawk269 said:
Yeah, what is even more weird is people changing resolution for 1920x1080 down to almost half or so and still getting the same frame rate. That is bizarre. I know it is a new engine and it is something they made, but damn, people getting same fps regardless of resolution seems a bit odd.

In my case, I should be destroying this game and yeah, that is not happening. I really though that I would be able to bitch slap this game in Uber mode, but until some optimations on the driver level and even o nteh game level comes out, it aint happening.

It's not really bizarre - i'm guessing it's because the game is CPU intensive so no matter which resolution is selected, you will still get a bottleneck.

Kyaw said:
I'm getting terrible performance in the Flotsam forest. Under 30.

Everything at ultra. DOF and SSAO off. AFx16 forced and Triple Buffering through D3Doverrider.

Turn off Motion Blur as well.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
It's not really bizarre - i'm guessing it's because the game is CPU intensive so no matter which resolution is selected, you will still get a bottleneck.

I just can't see it being a CPU bottleneck. Yes, the game does like more cores, but it's not taxing them heavily or anything. With 2 cores running at 1 Ghz higher than 4 cores, the 4 cores easily beats the dual cores in FPS. Dual core gets taxed 100%.

Yeef

Darklord said:

The auto-detection put everything on ultra, which won't work with my 260GTX. I went in to change them but it's all screwy and glitchy. I can't see half the options, only the tab to change or enable/disable. Can someone please print screen there advanced options so I can figure out which is the DOF and ubersampling?
This happens when your windows font size is set higher than the default. Changing your windows font size should fix it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Darklord said:

witcher-config.png

Here are my settings, no mercy! :D

Minsc

Gold Member
Also, here's the info from the readme.txt about the options, in case any one is missing it:

-------------------------------------------------------------------5) Advanced Configuration Options
-Texture downscaling: higher values result in lower texture quality.
-Texture memory size: sets the amount of graphics card memory allocated to textures. Larger values will decrease the amount of streaming that occurs in game and will make the game run more smoothly, but they can also cause the graphics card to run out of memory and even result in game crashes. Choose a reasonable value based on the amount of memory available on your graphics card.
- Shadow quality: affects graphics performance. Consumes GPU power without affecting CPU performance.
- Number of shadowed lights: set the maximum number of lights that cast shadows. Affects graphics performance. Consumes GPU power without affecting CPU performance.
- LOD distance: distance scale for level of detail on meshes. Lower values improve game performance but result in reduced detail on models.
- Bloom: effect greatly improves quality of game graphics without placing excess demands on GPU.
- Light shafts: visual effect recommended for medium-high/high-end machines. Should be disabled on older systems.
- Anti-aliasing: demanding effect that can significantly reduce performance, so it should be disabled on medium and low-end machines.
- Blur effects: special blur and radial blur visual effects that are quite demanding on hardware but used rarely in the game.
- Depth of field – gameplay: subtle visual effect. Option determines appearance of effect only during gameplay sequences and does not affect DoF in cutscenes.
- Vignette: aesthetic option that produces a photographic vignette around the game screen. Does not affect performance.
- Rain, Wet surfaces rain effect: modest impact on performance.
- SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion): lighting effect that is important to the game but unfortunately places significant demands on the GPU.
- Motion blur: blur effect on camera movement, demanding on the GPU.
- Cinematic depth of field: provides movie-like depth of field in cutscenes and dialogue sequences. Extremely detailed but demands significant power. Should only be enabled on machines equipped with top-end graphics cards.
- Depth of field – cutscenes: option only affects cutscenes and dialogue sequences, does not affect gameplay performance.
- Dangling objects limit: limiter for physical animation of character components like Geralt's hair. Disabling this option places greater demands on the CPU.
- Ubersampling: high quality rendering mode under which whole scenes are rendered multiple times to provide the best possible textures, object details and anti-aliasing (superior to anti-alias and anisotropy even on the highest settings). Use with caution, only on top-end computers (best possible in terms of both GPU and CPU).
- Vertical sync: helps eliminate "screen tearing" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_tearing) during camera movements and blinking on very quick animations (e.g., bright explosions), but can cause somewhat slower rendering and short input lags.
- Decals: enabling decals like dust or blood on characters can affect CPU performance.

Kyaw said:
What frames are you getting with your 5870?

Won't get deeper in until tonight, but beginning of prologue was getting 35-60 (v-sync).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Minsc said:
Also, here's the info from the readme.txt about the options, in case any one is missing it:

Won't get deeper in until tonight, but beginning of prologue was getting 35-60 (v-sync).
Promising, at least it seems I won't have to upgrade my GPU to run this :) (I too have a 5870)

My PC (C2Duo 8400 @ 3.3GHz, GTX570 and 4GB Ram) is handling the game really well on high with SSAO turned off and at 1080p. I can get above 30 practically all the time, some instances I get close to 60 but there was a time which was about 19-20 fps.

x0xwz4.jpg

Easy_D

never left the stone age
GoncaloCCastro said:
My PC (C2Duo 8400 @ 3.3GHz, GTX570 and 4GB Ram) is handling the game really well on high with SSAO turned off and at 1080p. I can get above 30 practically all the time, some instances I get close to 60 but there was a time which was about 19-20 fps.

Now, this is what's weird, I get shit performance, rarely above 30 (Save some cutscenes those seem to run at 40 and above for some reason) and I have an E8500 :(, granted it's at 3.16ghz, but would ,14 make that big a difference?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
His performance will drop too once he advances some, I was impressed in the beginning myself (E8500, GTX285) but it soon went downhill, first at the army camp, then in town.

Kyaw

Needs more optimisation. This is like Crysis all over again...

I've tested with all kinds of Depth of Field off, Motion blur off, SSAO off, V-Sync off and 'Normal' LOD Distance. Got stable 25-30 in the forest and more than 30 topping at 60 in the village.

Will play some more tomorrow, time to sleep now.

Anyone figured out how to solve Troll Trouble DLC problems? I either get DLC restarting itself, or Verifying at 5k/7k, and then blinking Downloading in DLC tab.

Kyaw

There were problems with the Troll DLC?

I just downloaded it. And installed it fine.

@ Darklord, Aye, thats true. Give this some time. It should be running smoothly soon enough.

Salaadin

2 issues:

First, I cant register my game. Connection error. Anyone else with this?

Second, I think Im seeing some minor artifacts during cutscene/conversation. Anyone else see anything similar?

Hawk269

Kyaw said:
There were problems with the Troll DLC?

I just downloaded it. And installed it fine.

@ Darklord, Aye, thats true. Give this some time. It should be running smoothly soon enough.

The only problem I had was that it kept wanting to Adminstrative Access to apply the DLC. So I just restarted the launcher under Administrator and no problems after that.

BTW...how do I set it to where it will launch as administrator on it's own?

MNC

LiquidMetal14 said:
Does anyone else have the game hang for like 1 or 2 minutes at a time sporadically? Not sure if it's a GPU driver issue but I'm pretty sure it's not my CPU. So confused.

A few more shots

[ig]http://www.abload.de/img/witcher22011-05-1711-1oo6y.png[/img]

[ig]http://www.abload.de/img/witcher22011-05-1711-13tco.png[/img]

[ig]http://www.abload.de/img/witcher22011-05-1711-2ntd0.png[/img]

[ig]http://www.abload.de/img/witcher22011-05-1711-2qq10.png[/img]

Ultra shots, no uber of course.
Oh my gooood it's beautiful

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Alextended said:
His performance will drop too once he advances some, I was impressed in the beginning myself (E8500, GTX285) but it soon went downhill, first at the army camp, then in town.
I never went past the prologue, the fight after you exit the tower maxed out at around 24 fps. I'll just ignore this game and try to stay away from spoilers until I get a new CPU. (That or the unbelievable super awesome performance patch)

alisdair

I'm having trouble getting above 25fps :( Worse, I can't get D3DOverrider to force triple buffering, so the tearing is awful.

i5 750, Radeon 6870, 4GB RAM. Settings on High, and I'm slowly turning settings off trying to get a stable framerate.

Is there any way of turning on triple buffering apart from D3DO? Or any reason why it wouldn't work for this game?

Kyaw

Hawk269 said:
The only problem I had was that it kept wanting to Adminstrative Access to apply the DLC. So I just restarted the launcher under Administrator and no problems after that.

BTW...how do I set it to where it will launch as administrator on it's own?

Right click > properties > compatibility > check 'run this program as an adminstrator'

@ Alisdar : Triple Buffering works fine for me. o_O

Hawk269

Salaadin said:
2 issues:

Second, I think Im seeing some minor artifacts during cutscene/conversation. Anyone else see anything similar?

I only seen some slight texture load, but very, very rare. I think twice since last night.

BTW..just had to do a restart to force AF through drive to see what that did and it is sayting there is a connection error. Could be them getting slammed since it is the release date, which may also explain the other users download issue with the dlc.

Yeef

Salaadin said:
2 issues:

Planned downtime of the Witcher servers. It started a little while ago and is supposed to last for 40 minutes.

Damn....so I've got piles of stuff to do at work but I'm just sitting here today browsing GAF trying to pass the time as quickly as possible so that I can go home and play Witcher 2. Probably doesn't help that I'm working on 3 hours of sleep neither. I wish I didn't get so easily distracted.

2 more hours...

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Damn this is gettin me worried, now that people has experience you think a...

-i5760 @ 2.8 ghz
- 8 GB RAM
- GT 9600 (willing to OC)

would run anything decent?

mileS

how many of you are forcing Anisotropic filtering? I heard somewhere that it rarely effects performance in most games but I just wanted to check.

vocab

alisdair said:
I'm having trouble getting above 25fps :( Worse, I can't get D3DOverrider to force triple buffering, so the tearing is awful.

i5 750, Radeon 6870, 4GB RAM. Settings on High, and I'm slowly turning settings off trying to get a stable framerate.

Is there any way of turning on triple buffering apart from D3DO? Or any reason why it wouldn't work for this game?

I have the same specs but with more ram and a 5850, and get better performance with ultra. Something is messed up on your end. I use vsync off, and there's not much tearing that's noticeable. 30-40fps in the beginning area.

dgenx said:
Damn this is gettin me worried, now that people has experience you think a...

-i5760 @ 2.8 ghz
- 8 GB RAM
- GT 9600 (willing to OC)

would run anything decent?

That computer is great except the video card. You're gonna have to adjust a lot of settings.

NIN90

LOOK AT THIS SHIT
witcher22011-05-1800-0ngom.png

Notice the framerate in the upper left corner.
This is with a 460 GTX and Phenom II X4 940 at low settings in 720p.
I'm getting the same framerate with high settings in 1080p.
That can't be right? Right?

It's not always like that but the framerate is very often in the teens.

V_Arnold

Well, I was worried that this will run like dogshit on my Phenom II 550 @ 3.0ghz and a HD4850/1gb with 2gb DDR3 ram, but damn, this game is perfectly playable. Using SSAO enabled, textures set on high, enabling AA and others on low, playing on 1440*900.

I do not have FRAPS, but I believe it is around 20fps, or even a bit more. Good enough, yet.
(Done the fight, the army camp and now at the
dragon
).

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Truant said:
Did some more testing.

Turned off V-Sync and Tripple Buffering, the main menu runs at 2500 FPS and the load on both GPUs went up to 99%. The actual game still runs at 25-35 with loads at roughly 50%.

Something is definitely up.

Ugh.
FWIW I had a GTX295 and never had a game use 90+% on both GPUs, that would be perfect scaling and Nvidia scaling for the GTX200 series was around 1.3 to 1.8 at best.

OH FFS, first time I turned around and I thought I will end up at the end of the fucking camp. Motion Blurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Other than that I have difficulties launching the game again from the Launcher and even Steam. I think it's a Launcher issue, hope to have it fixed when I wake up tommorow.

Narag

NIN90 said:
Just used FRAPS to show the framerate for the screenshot. I never use it.

Just wondered! Performance on this seems everywhere. Need my dl to finish soon so I can give it a shot.

bounchfx

just played for about an hour, at the second segment of the Prologue. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Combat definitely takes paying attention. You really need to parry and dodge, often. Also, it's a good idea to use the protection sign. I wish you didn't need to rely on it so much, though, since it only lasts for 30 seconds max.

looking forward to playing more later.

I solved my issues, at least it seems so.

Unistalled 3d vision drivers, and there you go, the game scales appropriately depending on settings.

I now get 40 fps on average on ultra and 1080p.

At 720p I can even play with ubersampling on and get very good framerates.

People with nvidia cards having problems might try this; 3d vision drivers are installed even if you don't use stereoscopic 3D.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
NIN90 said:
LOOK AT THIS SHIT
http://www.abload.de/img/witcher22011-05-1800-0ngom.png[IMG]

Notice the framerate in the upper left corner.
This is with a 460 GTX and Phenom II X4 940 at low settings in 720p.
[I]I'm getting the same framerate with high settings in 1080p.[/I]
That can't be right? Right?

It's not always like that but the framerate is very often in the teens.[/QUOTE]
That scene was like 60fps for me. I just took 2 screens in steam from that very scene but didn't want to direct link them due to horrible compression.

mileS said:
how many of you are forcing Anisotropic filtering? I heard somewhere that it rarely effects performance in most games but I just wanted to check.

I'm forcing 16x AF. Turned it off and no performance gain. AF really has no performance loss, hasn't for the last few years.

I got a decent FPS boost on my 5870m/Core i7 equipped laptop by turning on 'Danging Objects Limit'. My avg FPS went up but my Max FPS is still pretty low... something is up with this game for sure.

Hawk269

mileS said:

I am forcing AF at x16. Did a test of teh same location running from point a to be prior and after applying and had no impact on FPS. Did get a little cleaner on the textures however, so yeah use it baby!

mileS

Thanks y'all. I should have just tested it out myself but I wanted to make sure. I've been messing around with the settings for a long time now I think I'm finally ready to actually PLAY the game :D

Top Bottom