• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT| Gwent Player, Monster Slayer, EVEN RACISM

Status
Not open for further replies.

wurzle

Neo Member
I love this game so much I can only laugh affectionately at some of the bugs I run into:

wb1Tlzl.jpg

Sober

To be fair I've been advised Act 2 and 3 are much shorter, not just because of the main quests but also perceptually because most people will spend a ton of time in the open worlds during Act 1.
Yeah I get the feeling most people will fill out their maps before getting to the end of act 1, which means there's less side content to do inbetween main story stuff later on.

a question for the ones who know witcher's books

so...did geralt knew that he was gonna get a child when he used the law of surprise to get ciri?
i searched for it on a wiki and the way it was explained,it kinda always ends up with someone getting someone else's child

I've read the books,
and maybe I've missed something but I kind have the same question. I'm not sure what he hoped to get out of it. If he knew he'd get their child I have no idea what he thought he'd to with it. I kinda suspect it was just "destiny" acting through him.
Well, the books did not specifically hint at what he actually wanted when he invoked the Law of Surprise so I will say he did not actually know what he would get.

Arjen

I'm not reading this thread a lot because I'm afraid of spoilers, but after about 20 hours, I'm blown away by this game, the quest are just so freaking good, maybe a bit early, but shit..this might even become the best RPG i played.

Rixa

Screw the open world, screw the quests, screw the combat.....

I'm only here for the Gwent!!!

gimmie all your cards, gimmie gimmie gimme.

Seriously though, damn Gwent is good fun, best game within a game ever, although it's fairly easy to cheese the AI players...

^^^^ this guy gets it...

and how far in the game are you? the AI players do become more challenging. I think the first actual challenge starts with Baron.

and yea, i realy wish projekt red would add a multiplayer component later where you can play other people online in Gwent. would be dope!

anyways, anyone know if messing around in these brothels will mess up your relationship status with either Yen or Triss (or both if you choose so) ?

Gwent has sent us down a path to this, and I'm fine with that:
I+feel+like+with+the+amount+left+on+her+lip+_c202182b071cafbe2d0a65c4caf0543f.jpg

I haven't even touched Gwent yet and I'm 30 hours in haha. I normally never bother with the mini games in open world games but this has definitely piqued my interest.

Yes we have OT for Gwent, come to join us \o/.

No idea. I'm level 16 I'm trying to complete every sidequest before moving on with the plot....AND I KEEP FINDING MORE SIDEQUESTS JESUS.
Me too me too, Iam early in game, only level 4 but doing quests that recommend level 7. So fun (playing 2nd hardest difficulty) and hard.
Did everything I found from starting area, took over 10 hours to do them.

silva1991

You know the game is great when you spend 90% of your time on side quests after 30hrs without becoming bored :p

I just to gain 1 more level and then continue the story.

Eh, it's not that bad tbh.
I really hated weight limit in W2 I installed the mod as soon as it's available, but not here. Weight is reasonable, and we can actually upgrade the weight limit with saddlebags. I've yet to get encumbered so far.

Yep. They changed it, now crafting material weight barely anything at all, even if doesn't make a lot of sense (you know, steel plates, ingots, etc). I've been over-encumbered just once in 40 hours of game, selling stuff just when I return back to a village or when by chance I encounter a trader.

Rizzi

Quest spoiler question.
The Bloody Baron said he'd pay me to help him go get his wife. He didn't.Where did he go?

Majukun

Well, the books did not specifically hint at what he actually wanted when he invoked the Law of Surprise so I will say he did not actually know what he would get.

that's what i thought at first..but then i read about it online and it seems like it's kinda the default outcome..a guy has to give up the child born while he was at war...it happened exactly the same way for another character in the books..same law..same result.

maybe it's just that tons of other people get other tings but the books decide to concentrate on the 2 cases that resulted in a child changing hands

it's an interesting custom...anyway...but what if he also got a new horse at home?he can choose what to give ? :p

Anyone know why I'd be getting red/unselectable conversation choices that require Delusion levels? I swear I've put at least 2 points into it, is there something else I have to do? Here's an example

I'm guessing you haven't equipped the skill? I made that mistake with the arrow parry skill. It's not enough to just spend a skill point on it - you also have to equip it in a slot on the right hand side of the Character screen.

To be fair I've been advised Act 2 and 3 are much shorter, not just because of the main quests but also perceptually because most people will spend a ton of time in the open worlds during Act 1.
Looking at the guide,
it looks like each of the three sections of Act I has as many critical quests as Act II or III. Going by that approximate metric, Act I would be 60% of the main quest.
(number of quests spoiler, no actual quest or story details)

If most people do a lot of side stuff during Act I on top of that, I wouldn't be too surprised if Act I covered a very large chunk of their playtime. Perceptually, it might have been better to split Act I into three acts.
I haven't finished Novigrad and I've already played something like 40 hours. I'm not expecting the main story to be three times that.

This is a huge departure from my last similar experience, DA:I, which had this pretty short critical path with a shitload of things to do on the side. So far, Witcher 3 seems longer and broader.

that's what i thought at first..but then i read about it online and it seems like it's kinda the default outcome..a guy has to give up the child born while he was at war...it happened exactly the same way for another character in the books..same law..same result.

maybe it's just that tons of other people get other tings but the books decide to concentrate on the 2 cases that resulted in a child changing hands

it's an interesting custom...anyway...but what if he also got a new horse at home?he can choose what to give ? :p

When I was reading through that part, the first thought that popped into my mind is that:

"What if he goes home and finds out that his wife makes him a surprise pie, you dumbass?"

viveks86

Hate the fact that enemies shoot arrows through trees. That's downright broken. Bums me out that they didn't implement basic line of sight and collision detection for projectiles.

erawsd

Hate the fact that enemies shoot arrows through trees. That's downright broken. Bums me out that they didn't implement basic line of sight and collision detection for projectiles.

Yeah but they cant shoot through each other, which is always fun to see some poor dude take one in the back.

Book spoilers:

I think they sort of did?
Book 1 spoilers:
Geralt is told that he can have whatever he wants from Duny. Geralt responds by telling him that witchers are a dying breed and they lack successors.
So he wants what they already have but do not know that they have (hinting that the princess is pregnant). Geralt also tells them that he will be back in six years.

However.

Witcher 3 midway spoilers:
When you talk about Ciri to the dream-o-mancer Geralt tells her that he was surprised by the fact that he could have Ciri and didnt know what to do with her.

Corsick

I've put in 40 hours and have only just finished
doing the first two quests with Crach's son and daughter
.That's pretty incredible. I think doing the same amount of side quests and contracts would make the lengths seem pretty even though.

Lingitiz

They are a lot shorter and have much more of an urgency that Act 1 doesn't have. Act 1 is mostly detective work and following leads. Acts 2 and 3 deal with some much heavier stuff, as expected. I think overall they did a great job pacing the main story.

How many major Explorable zones are there besides the ones that you can see on the world map following the end of the prologue?

(ie is
Skellig
the last major zone you unlock, I assume there will be some small places like the capitol you unlock for specific story sequences)

I am currently level 7 and just now at the point I can pretty freely explore
"No Man's Land"
except for the occasional quest 20 levels above where I am.

Not looking for names, just a number. If this is all there is I am fine, I just don't want to be expecting more to just realize this is it.

Doikor

When you talk about Ciri to the dream-o-mancer Geralt tells her that he was surprised by the fact that he could have Ciri and didnt know what to do with her.

I think a big part of this is that traditionally only men could be witchers so he truly had no clue what to do with a girl. If it was a boy it would have been quite clear that he would have trained him to be a witcher (or have to kid die trying)

viveks86

Yeah but they cant shoot through each other, which is always fun to see some poor dude take one in the back.

Yeah that was some comic relief after all that frustration. What was even more puzzling was a level 1 archer 1-shot killed a level 5 axe wielding enemy who walked in the line of fire!

Finished Carnal Sins
WOW what a quest. I knew he was a vampire however I didn't know he was the killer at first seeing as how the murders were a twisted ritual inspired by the Eternal Fire.

UberLevi

Halfway through level 29. A couple more and I'll finally be able to finish mastercrafting the Griffin gear. Seems most people opted to use either Bear or Cat, but I'm a huge sucker for those Sign Intensity bonuses.

Book 1 spoilers:
Geralt is told that he can have whatever he wants from Duny. Geralt responds by telling him that witchers are a dying breed and they lack successors.
So he wants what they already have but do not know that they have (hinting that the princess is pregnant). Geralt also tells them that he will be back in six years.

However.

To be honest, I read the book too long ago so that slipped my mind. Now that you mentioned it I vaguely recall it being the case.

d9b

Banned
How many major Explorable zones are there besides the ones that you can see on the world map following the end of the prologue?

(ie is
Skellig
the last major zone you unlock, I assume there will be some small places like the capitol you unlock for specific story sequences)

I am currently level 7 and just now at the point I can pretty freely explore
"No Man's Land"
except for the occasional quest 20 levels above where I am.

Not looking for names, just a number. If this is all there is I am fine, I just don't want to be expecting more to just realize this is it.
I would also like to know this. Anyone?

Danj

I'm guessing you haven't equipped the skill? I made that mistake with the arrow parry skill. It's not enough to just spend a skill point on it - you also have to equip it in a slot on the right hand side of the Character screen.

Shit. That explains it. Pity, I've missed out on some of the better paths thanks to that. Guess I better rummage around in my inventory and see if I've got a blue mutagen I can pair it with.

Skellige and Velen/Novigrad are the two primary zones. There's one other small one you will come to but there's no side quests.

thanks.

Velen/Novigrad is huge, and finding Sidequest and Bounties for all different level tiers made me think this is the case.

I might actually like this, now I can comb through these thoroughly instead of trying to push on.

I thought I read that the total map size in this game was larger than Skyrim? Is that true. If Skellig is the same size or larger than Vellen/Novigrad I could see it. However there is no way total explorable area will be larger, all the ruins in Skyrim we just huge. But just the map? Its could be close.

Chinner

Banned
I've just retrned to Crow's perch after I completed the
Blood Baron
plotline.

My quest resulted in the Baron taking Anna to the moutnains to see a healer to help her. When I returned to Crow's perch, I confronted some guards who were trying to rape a woman. I stopped this, and went to the Baron's mansion to report this to the replacement boss. However, the mansion had been burnt and damaged, and I was told by one of the guards that they have a 'new order' now and to deal with it

I want to help them :(

Exentryk

Wrecked a group of level 7 Harpies with a level 4 Geralt on Death March. The early signs of changing to this new build are positive.

Wrecked a group of level 7 Harpies with a level 4 Geralt on Death March. The early signs of changing to this new build are positive.

what build are you going for? 1st Witcher game so I am going on Sword and Story, its not hard really, but I like being able to heal with meditation so I have no raised it......

piccolo85

Skellige and Velen/Novigrad are the two primary zones. There's one other small one you will come to but there's no side quests.

Oh, this is kinda less than I expected. I just assumed that the whole map will become availible during the course of the game... It is still a massive game and probably the best RPG I have ever played up to this point. I just hoped there would be a bit more diversity in the landscapes. I am approximately 30h in, level 14 and I start to become sick of swamps...

Quick question for someone who hasn't played any Witchery games before... What difficulty should I choose? I have bo qualms with a game being challenging, but with an open world game like this I don't want to get frustrated either...

Newman96

Finished Carnal Sins
WOW what a quest. I knew he was a vampire however I didn't know he was the killer at first seeing as how the murders were a twisted ritual inspired by the Eternal Fire.

Maybe I did something wrong, mine ended when I killed the Eternal Fire dude who had the prostitute tied up. Although..on returning to Novigrad there does seem to be some copycat murders going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom