• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Any tips for beating that GODDAMN FROG?!
I think I died 20 times already.

mileS

firestream! all you need for this boss lol

If you don't have it, it's worth the potion to respec. At that point in the game talent choices become less important anyway, you have so many options you can swap in and out. Firestream is good to have for any build.

MadYarpen

I don't have signs build (actually I have not spent a single point in this tree) and my tactics was:

Fire bombs and:

1. Quen
2. dodge its tongue
3. roll towards it
4. hit once
5. dodge away or be kicked away
6. repeat 1-5

And above all - don't be greedy.

I have to say I really liked this fight.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Took my time with Quen and Igni and finally beated him. Thanks!!

Finished Hearts of Stone yesterday, it's probably the best DLC I've ever played. The writing was very good, and Boss fights were well done. "
Scenes from a Marriage
" on NG+ felt like playing through a Souls game with how difficult it was.

Only dissapointment was
not keeping the scar on your face
after the ending. I felt it gave Geralt's
face
more character.

mileS

Finished Hearts of Stone yesterday, it's probably the best DLC I've ever played. The writing was very good, and Boss fights were well done. "
Scenes from a Marriage

Only dissapointment was
face
more character.

It's unreal how good HoS is.

MadYarpen

Scenes from a Marriage

Only dissapointment was
face
more character.

It's unreal how good HoS is.

I agree, and I have to say that boss fights in particular are much improved.
I really liked the first one, even if it was quite frustrating. I used all my bombs, most of all my potions to kill it. Felt like a job well done.

But the fights with the
gardener in the mansion
, and with the
nightmare in the end
were superb.

With
gardener in the mansion, they managed to show that his punches have a lot of weight
. Man I didn't want to get hit! And the last one was also great, demanding, but not unfair.

I hope they keep it up for B&W.

I've been bit by the Witcher bug again, replaying the game again and I'm about to wrap up the Bloody Baron quest. There's a lot of stuff I'm looking forward to seeing and there's a fair bit of stuff I'm discovering too.

I mostly ignored Gwent my first time through, so that's fun too.

God I started playing this again (got distracted by other games halfway through the Bloody Baron questlines) and I forgot how obnoxious it is to need to repair my swords this often. Every second protracted fight I need to repair my silver sword. Bleh.

I decided I'd find a way to craft my own sword repair kits but can't find shit. I googled it and it told me I could find the diagram in in Midcorpse but I only found the armor repair kit diagram there. I'm doing Novigrad quests and I can't find a single blacksmith in town except one who I have to do a level 24 quest to activate apparently and I'm like 13-14.

1) Are there any other blacksmitsh there? I don't see anything on the map
2) Where do I find the ploughing diagrams
3) Even if I find the diagram won't I need to fast travel to a stupid crafting merchant every time I need to make one anyway?

God I started playing this again (got distracted by other games halfway through the Bloody Baron questlines) and I forgot how obnoxious it is to need to repair my swords this often. Every second protracted fight I need to repair my silver sword. Bleh.

I decided I'd find a way to craft my own sword repair kits but can't find shit. I googled it and it told me I could find the diagram in in Midcorpse but I only found the armor repair kit diagram there. I'm doing Novigrad quests and I can't find a single blacksmith in town except one who I have to do a level 24 quest to activate apparently and I'm like 13-14.

3) Even if I find the diagram won't I need to fast travel to a stupid crafting merchant every time I need to make one anyway?

I almost never needed to repair. Steel is worse than silver because when you're always hitting guys who are parrying and blocking with shields and swords, and that destroys your durability, but monsters are pretty soft and usually don't block, so I never found myself repairing that much. By the end of the game I had like 30 of each kind of repair kit.

Novigrad has a couple of blacksmiths. go to the big square in the center of town (forgot what it was called) and there's one slightly to the southwest in the fish market area.

Coreda

1) As a reference all the blacksmith/armorer locations can be found on the interactive map, filtering by type.
2) Pretty sure I bought mine from armorers or blacksmiths, however according to this the locations are randomized, so you may have to check other merchants.
3) Yes; at which point you may as well just buy them.

That name change, woah.

He is not the first one I have seen complaining about it; I'm not sure how some people have this problem.
I repaired every once in a while, when I went to talk to the Baron for example, but I don't remember it ever being any trouble. Maybe we were doing something differently?

How often are people changing swords? I use the best sword available for a given slot and have a fairly aggressive style. Up there someone is saying that deflected blows wear out durability, if that's true then that might partially explain it since I take attacks of opportunity that get deflected quite regularly. I find it difficult to tell whether the enemies will or will not block a given attack.

How often are people changing swords? I use the best sword available for a given slot and have a fairly aggressive style. Up there someone is saying that deflected blows wear out durability, if that's true then that might partially explain it since I take attacks of opportunity that get deflected quite regularly. I find it difficult to tell whether the enemies will or will not block a given attack.

I hardly change sword at all, only when I find a better one. Do you also block a lot? In my experience, both hitting against blocks AND blocking attacks wear the weapons out much faster. I used Quen and dodge almost exclusively for defence.

He is not the first one I have seen complaining about it; I'm not sure how some people have this problem.
I repaired every once in a while, when I went to talk to the Baron for example, but I don't remember it ever being any trouble. Maybe we were doing something differently?
I think the Witcher swords are way more durable. Early in the game I had to repair very regularly in the field, but later on it was just when I would visit blacksmiths.

Lettuce

So whats the deal with the Witcher armor then?, ive got Superior Griffin arm and its not as good stats as the armor ive swapped it out for. Is there any reason why i should keep using the Griffin armor?

So whats the deal with the Witcher armor then?, ive got Superior Griffin arm and its not as good stats as the armor ive swapped it out for. Is there any reason why i should keep using the Griffin armor?

Also how do I upgrade witcher armor or the one you start with coz the armour I'm rolling with is super ugly

I have played 61 hours of The Witcher 3 in the two weeks since I finally bought it. It was worth waiting for a new PC to do this. Holy hell, I love this thing. What a journey since the janky (but startling) first game all those years ago.

Matush

Quick question about EU PS4 versions of the game. Friend bought EU disc version first, finished it and sold it. Now he bought it from UK store (not any other EU store) and cant access his saves. Are there two EU version of it, if so, is he screwed out of his saves?

Lettuce

Can anyone shed any light on this, is the witcher armor the best armor in the game?, as atm the numbers aren't adding up!!

Can anyone shed any light on this, is the witcher armor the best armor in the game?, as atm the numbers aren't adding up!!

I think the different armor sets are more for different styles of play. The Bear armor I believe has the best protection but its heavy and sucks for magic.

Im no expert though, im sure somebody has a spread sheet on all this.

Sai

The Witcher armor/weapons are generally the best, each affording you some great benefits depending on the way you play. But there are some rarer pieces of equipment you can find with slightly better base stats and some glyph slots to make something at least comparable(and in some cases, look better than what the Witcher schools offer).

Finding those pieces is kinda dependent on luck though.

The Bear armor I believe has the best protection but its heavy and sucks for magic.
I think there are some ways to make it viable for Signs as well depending on the abilities you have equipped. Like, taking advantage of Adrenaline or something.

I'm kinda anxious to jump back into this game. Blood & Wine needs to hurry up and come out. :(

MadYarpen

Griffin armor is AFAIR weaker one - it has lower lvl requirements and quests to find it are lower lvl to.

The rest of them (ursine, feline, wolf) have higher lvl requirements and all can serve you till the end of the game. I'm pretty sure there is nothing better than feline/wolf/ursine mastercrafted sets in base game.

To answer your question - witcher armor IS the best armor in the game and all three sets are worth getting and upgrading. Griffin is the weakest of witcher sets so that's why you probably started to get some better items. And - superior isn't the highest tier (not 100% sure cause I never know how was it translated from Polish - but I think it is 1st upgrade is enhanced, then superior and at the end mastercrafted)

Lettuce

Thanks for the info on the witcher armor sets, just noticed there actual a 4th set, Wolven!. This seems to be a good all rounder.

Got me think though is it possible to mix and match all of the 3 (not including wolven) armor sets to give you the best of both worlds. Im think Griffin armor set (as it gives the best sign strengths) and then using the swords from Cat (as they seem to do the best damage)??

zXe

What are some of the essential mods people recommend for this (PC)?

Currently have HDReworkedProject installed.

I have about 80 hrs in this game and am just now finding out about the free DLC lol How substantial are they?
4 side quests, some regional armor sets, School of the Wolf armor treasure hunt, alternate outfits for Triss/Yennifer/Ciri, alternate Gwent card art, and New Game +.

Hey guys posting this from buy/sale gaf thread

Witcher 3 press exclusive long board

I'm moving guys and need this gone. Is this something that interest any Witcher fans. These were given our during a press event about a month before the Witcher 3 came out. I would expect maybe about 30 of these were made for Witcher 3 preview event in Venice, CA.

Not really sure on how to price this thing but I'm open to offers.
Located in SoCal
Never used and perfect for a collector to hang on wall.

00B0B_fSHuEmMZRsF_600x450.jpg

00p0p_4omB9ilnod0_600x450.jpg

4 side quests, some regional armor sets, School of the Wolf armor treasure hunt, alternate outfits for Triss/Yennifer/Ciri, alternate Gwent card art, and New Game +.

Thanks! Just got done with the Cat and Wolf quest

Hey guys posting this from buy/sale gag thread

Witcher 3 press exclusive long board

I'm moving guys and need this gone. Is this something that interest any Witcher fans. These were given our during a press event about a month before the Witcher 3 came out. I would expect maybe about 30 of these were made for Witcher 3 preview event in Venice, CA.

Not really sure on how to price this thing but I'm open to offers.
Located in SoCal
Never used and perfect for a collector to hang on wall.

http://images.craigslist.org/00B0B_fSHuEmMZRsF_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00p0p_4omB9ilnod0_600x450.jpg

$1 shipped
Since, you know, you got it for free and you need it gone

:p

Coreda

Speaking of mixing armor, it's disappointing that both Wolven and New Moon trousers clip with all other boots besides their matching set, since they're among the nicest looking trousers available.

Sent a bug report a while back but I guess it was too low priority to see fixed, though it's a very noticeable issue.

So I couldn't take it anymore, started hearts of stone after I finally replayed the game all the way up to
Kaer Morhen, rounding up allies.
At this point in NG+ and at level 57 I switched from a mixed set of Enhanced Legendary Ursine armor, and superior Griffin gaunts and trousers, Superior Griffin swords with runestones(I'm poor after buying tier 2 of the runesmith lol), to straight up full set of Superior Griffin Gear and it's actually pretty fucking good, looks good
but the ursine armor is god tier. Already have a set of Superior ursine armor waiting for dat level 60.

So I started it and wow, I was completed dark on this and I was super confused at first because I thought hearts of stone was blood and wine. Then I thought for a second we were
going to olfieri or whatever
, but nop
e huge tough ass dark souls battle
with adds. Well played CDPR.

Overall, I love the fact that it seems the
Man of Glass is totally some kind of magical being, because he appeared in a chair out of nowhere, put a weird seal on Geralts face, and nearly drowned Geralt in the process of "saving him". When you agree to meet him, there are children in the day time at the meeting spot that sing a nursery rhyme about the man of glass. It's really great, sets him up as a mysterious potential big bad or unpredictable force.

NotBacon

Ursine gear ftw

So I have to basically hunt down the best versions and craft them?

Ok

Sort of. There are "maps" you can buy from certain vendors that will lead you to areas to find all the witcher gear for one tier from a school (bear, cat, etc.). Then if you want to upgrade that gear, you'll need the map for the next tier to lead you to the upgrade diagrams (which require predecessor gear). Then you repeat the process until you have sick mastercrafted gear.

From what school? Are you sure you're not talking about the Witch Hunters Armour? That confused me at first when I received it...

Top Bottom