• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT3| Metz Some Ploughing Good Ladies In the Forest

Amon37

Make sure to grab some buckthorn in the river beds in the beginning. You won't need it until later but by that time I had to Google it since I totally forgot where it was.

Err I entered a Monster Den that had a Ghost Warrior? and managed to climb a ledge that wasn't marked as being able to. So, I go further in this cave and come across 3 more. Should I continue exploring? Im hoping is not part of a main quest.

Edit: Looks like its part of a quest. Reached a wall I couldn't breach.

Back I go!

I think I'm enjoying the side quests and exploration too much. I've got 18 hours and I'm still at the Bloody Baron quest line. I want to get stronger so that I can do Fake Papers more easily on this difficult (Blood and Bones?).

Oh jeez ran across a Grave Hag (Lv97???) and got killed. I just snuck around her and picked off the loot from behind. I had Quen and Yrden up with Axii at hand in case things go south. The loot was disappointing for a Lv28 quest, and I'm Lv6!

- If you want Geralt to move faster, use the Cat/Fast sword stance while moving, it will help out when you get to the swamps.

- The swamp is a pain, but just bear with it; the game gets much better as you progress.

- Use Aard and invest some points in its stun effects to one shot mobs and certain bosses. You should also invest in Group Sword style and Igni.

- Silver swords for monsters, steel for humans.

- Don't rely on torches for lighting in caves/crypts, use a Cat potion.

- Don't worry too much about weapons/armour upgrades, as you get a quest line to obtain legendary armour near the end of the game.

- You've mentioned you like the story and atmosphere; just let it soak in and appreciate the details as you progress through Vizima.

Thanks mate! I really appreciate it.

Mystic654

I'm having a odd things happen when moving the character or selecting items. After I let go of control stick the character keeps on walking or when trying to pick an item in the menu it goes way past the item I want. Anyway to fix this? I don't recall this happening before.

mileS

It seemed like 1 out of 50 caves in the game were actually dark enough to make me try a Cat potion or take a torch out. In fact most caves get darker overall when you pull your torch out. Brighter close to your character yes, but your visibility overall is lowered.

I'm having a odd things happen when moving the character or selecting items. After I let go of control stick the character keeps on walking or when trying to pick an item in the menu it goes way past the item I want. Anyway to fix this? I don't recall this happening before.

If you're playing with a gamepad then it's stick drift, meaning your left stick is either covered in dust (inside the gamepad) or your gamepad is slowly dying....

IIRC, the only thing they cut was an Ice skating boss battle with Ciri.

They couldn't figure out how to make it work because they couldn't figure out how to do a proper tutorial because this was literally the only time in the whole game where you did it and they couldn't make it work.

From what I read, they also cut most of the sex scenes they recorded. They had like, what, 16 hours of mocap data recorded? I think I even saw someone on Reddit post that some of the original data was still left in the game's files.

Mystic654

If you're playing with a gamepad then it's stick drift, meaning your left stick is either covered in dust (inside the gamepad) or your gamepad is slowly dying....

It's the only game where it does it, All the other games are fine. I really don't feel like replacing the controller for a third time.

Any chance update 1.12 update screwed something up?

It's the only game where it does it, All the other games are fine. I really don't feel like replacing the controller for a third time.

Any chance update 1.12 update screwed something up?

I doubt that the patch messed something up. Try loading up another third person game and walk in all directions and see if the same thing is going to happen. I had the same thing happening to me, at first it was only happening in TW3, but latter it started in MGSV and other games, I managed to fix it by opening my gamepad and cleaning the dust around the sticks, but in the end after about a month and a half I had to buy a new one. Try running this command "joy.cpl " and go to the calibration screen of your controller, see if you'll notice any "flickering" when moving the analog sticks.

From what I read, they also cut most of the sex scenes they recorded. They had like, what, 16 hours of mocap data recorded? I think I even saw someone on Reddit post that some of the original data was still left in the game's files.

No idea why they did that, it's pretty obvious that they reused the same animations over and over again. I felt that CDProjekt censored themselves a lot in the Witcher 3 which is a bit of a shame coming from a European developer.

I have high hopes for Blood and Wine after finishing Hearts of Stone. The story blended moments of light hearted fun together with really sad moments very well. What would we most like to see from Blood and Wine?

Amon37

It seemed like 1 out of 50 caves in the game were actually dark enough to make me try a Cat potion or take a torch out. In fact most caves get darker overall when you pull your torch out. Brighter close to your character yes, but your visibility overall is lowered.

Agreed. I completed the game and never needed a torch or cat potion once.

76 hours and the game is finally done... terrific experience. Some questions though about the story/lore I just couldn't piece together:

What are the Wild Hunt? The characters call them wraiths... but they seem to be quite alive Elves? But they are not the same elves as the ones in Geralts world? According to one of the loading screens, there was some kind of Conjunction which brought monsters, magic, elves into Geralts world. And then when it was over the elves were stranded there, and oppressed by the humans. But the elves who are part of the wild hunt, and their entire civilization, are from their home world and were able to be the dominant (only?) race with a thriving culture? Is there a reason they are so much larger and more powerful than the elves in Geralts world?

I really enjoyed the majority of the game, though some things I wish were a bit different:

- The Battle for Kaer Modan was great, and recruiting all those allies was a lot of fun (shades of ME2). But, only a few of those allies have a further part in the story. It would have been more meaningful if some of those allies could have been killed during the battle depending on your plan and your performance.

- I played totally blind and ended up with Ciri living and becoming a Witcher. There is pretty much no chance I will have the time to replay for different endings, so I watched the others on Youtube. It seems like Ciri becoming the Empress is supposed to be the "good" ending, but her and Geralt seemed much happier in the ending I got. In the Empress ending Geralt should just be happy for her and come by and visit now and then, I don't see why it had to be a total break.

- In a similar vein, neither of the romance endings seem to fit Geralt. He makes a point that he is only happy roaming as a sword for hire, killing monsters and accepting contracts. He even says this is the reason why he doesn't go with Ciri if she becomes the Empress. Yet he settles down to the quiet domestic life with either Yenn or Triss. Doing this blind I thought I was being clever by getting them both at once, so I was certainly in for a surprise ;)

Amon37

I really enjoyed the majority of the game, though some things I wish were a bit different:

- The Battle for Kaer Modan was great, and recruiting all those allies was a lot of fun (shades of ME2). But, only a few of those allies have a further part in the story. It would have been more meaningful if some of those allies could have been killed during the battle depending on your plan and your performance.

- I played totally blind and ended up with Ciri living and becoming a Witcher. There is pretty much no chance I will have the time to replay for different endings, so I watched the others on Youtube. It seems like Ciri becoming the Empress is supposed to be the "good" ending, but her and Geralt seemed much happier in the ending I got. In the Empress ending Geralt should just be happy for her and come by and visit now and then, I don't see why it had to be a total break.

- In a similar vein, neither of the romance endings seem to fit Geralt. He makes a point that he is only happy roaming as a sword for hire, killing monsters and accepting contracts. He even says this is the reason why he doesn't go with Ciri if she becomes the Empress. Yet he settles down to the quiet domestic life with either Yenn or Triss. Doing this blind I thought I was being clever by getting them both at once, so I was certainly in for a surprise ;)

I got the same endings you did playing blind and I'm happy I got those. I feel the same way about
Ciri ending up as empress

Heart of Stone playthrough going well.

This happened

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1LnHhUdnL0

Then I fast travelled to Oxenfurt and got a "your save is corrupted. We are going to make a new one" message.

Then 15 seconds later the game crashed.

Also getting some hitching whenever it autosaves when travelling around which wasnt there when I played before. I hope my PS4 is ok.

Other then that the DLC seems fun. Combat encounters are a but hard as someone who hasnt touched the game in about 6 months though.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Oh jeez ran across a Grave Hag (Lv97???) and got killed. I just snuck around her and picked off the loot from behind. I had Quen and Yrden up with Axii at hand in case things go south. The loot was disappointing for a Lv28 quest, and I'm Lv6!

How is that possible? My understanding is that enemies many times above your level are actually immune to your attacks.

Why oh why wasn't "sprint" for the boat communicated to the player? Clearing out the smuggler caches around Skellige would have gone by so much quicker 😢

How is that possible? My understanding is that enemies many times above your level are actually immune to your attacks.

They're not. It just takes a really long time to kill them.

Edit: Actually, Wolf Akela may have confused the level "??" with "97" but pre-edit still stands. It's very time consuming.

Yeah, I probably misread the level with "??". Text is red and tiny.

I didn't kill it. I just ran past it, sneaked to grab the chest them immediately ran away. No way I'm gonna spend hours killing it.

76 hours and the game is finally done... terrific experience. Some questions though about the story/lore I just couldn't piece together:

What are the Wild Hunt? The characters call them wraiths... but they seem to be quite alive Elves? But they are not the same elves as the ones in Geralts world? According to one of the loading screens, there was some kind of Conjunction which brought monsters, magic, elves into Geralts world. And then when it was over the elves were stranded there, and oppressed by the humans. But the elves who are part of the wild hunt, and their entire civilization, are from their home world and were able to be the dominant (only?) race with a thriving culture? Is there a reason they are so much larger and more powerful than the elves in Geralts world?

Those who say that the
"Ciri becomes empress of Nilfgard"
is the "good" ending have no clue about the Witcher universe or lore. The only "good" ending is the one you got, the
"empress"
ending is the bittersweet one and the last one is just straight sad.

To further explain my point:

Since I've read all the Witcher books, Ciri becoming the empress is the worst thing that can happen to her. During the course of 7 books all that she wants is to be free and to stay out of politics, since everyone wants to catch her and impregnate her (since she has the Elder Blood running trough her veins). Geralt spends 7 books trying to find, and protect her, and there are countless times in the books where she talks about how she want to become a female witcher, not to mention that she despises the idea of living in a castle again with royal people all around her. Letting her become the empress is straight up failing as a "father" and sending your child into an unhappy future. Yes, she would be an empress of the mightiest empire, but she wouldn't be happy.

Those who say that the
"Ciri becomes empress of Nilfgard"
is the "good" ending have no clue about the Witcher universe or lore. The only "good" ending is the one you got, the
"empress"
ending is the bittersweet one and the last one is just straight sad.

To further explain my point:

Since I've read all the Witcher books, Ciri becoming the empress is the worst thing that can happen to her. During the course of 7 books all that she wants is to be free and to stay out of politics, since everyone wants to catch her and impregnate her (since she has the Elder Blood running trough her veins). Geralt spends 7 books trying to find, and protect her, and there are countless times in the books where she talks about how she want to become a female witcher, not to mention that she despises the idea of living in a castle again with royal people all around her. Letting her become the empress is straight up failing as a "father" and sending your child into an unhappy future. Yes, she would be an empress of the mightiest empire, but she wouldn't be happy.
It's important to note that
she chooses that particular option herself, of her own free will, if it gets offered to her. The only way she doesn't choose it is if the offer is never made to her in the first place.
It's definitely bittersweet though, as it's meant to be.

It's important to note that
she chooses that particular option herself, of her own free will, if it gets offered to her. The only way she doesn't choose it is if the offer is never made to her in the first place.
It's definitely bittersweet though, as it's meant to be.

Yes, but only if
you go against her wish not to see her real father. So it's again Geralt failing in hearing out what Ciri wants, and therefore it's a bad decision.

Yes, but only if
you go against her wish not to see her real father. So it's again Geralt failing in hearing out what Ciri wants, and therefore it's a bad decision.

You don't actually go against her wish.
You just mention that Emhyr wants to see her
, and she asks what you think she should do. All Geralt says is
"Well, he is your father",
and she says ok since it's on the way to their destination anyway.

It's not like Geralt told her "You better go, or no Gwent for a month"

As far as I recal
she wakes you up in Kaer Morhen to go kill Imlerith, you get the option to mention Emhyr to her, I can guarantee you that every book reader or anyone who has some time invested in the actual lore of the Witcher series choose not to mention the meeting with Emhyr to Ciri.
If you ask why, I would have to write a short summary of the whole book series in order to explain it. I'm not saying that everyone who got that ending should feel bad or anything, I just don't think that most people know what they're talking about when they say that that ending is the "good" one, lore-wise it is not at all. But no matter which ending someone got, it's great to see that it mirrors the actions the player took as Geralt during the whole game :D

iNvid02

XYUGjUi.png

Flipyap

"Well, he was planning to rape you, murdered your family along with the entire city you lived in and traumatized you for life, but he did take advantage of your mother in the world's most convoluted eugenics con scheme, so technically he is your father."
- Geralt of Videogamia, FOTY 2015

Sai

:D :D :D

Not getting hyped, it's the same site that announced several false release dates for the expansion :/
This image uses resources already published (screen + WIII logo + B&W logo).
:( :( :(

"Well, he was planning to rape you, murdered your family along with the entire city you lived in and traumatized you for life, but he did take advantage of your mother in the world's most convoluted eugenics con scheme, so technically he is your father."
- Geralt of Videogamia, FOTY 2015
Yikes. Didn't know it was that bad.

MadYarpen

:D :D :D

:( :( :(

Yikes. Didn't know it was that bad.

Man, the real story of Ciri, Geralt and Emhyr is wild. You should read the books. Sadly, now a bit spoiled. But still the best ever.

in the 2nd playthrough I went for
empress
ending, only to see it. The real ending is for me
Ciri going witcher path
(got it during 1st playthrough). But the other one
was so bitter-sweet
, I'm glad I saw it. They nailed it IMO. And made me cry lol.

IIRC, the only thing they cut was an Ice skating boss battle with Ciri.

They couldn't figure out how to make it work because they couldn't figure out how to do a proper tutorial because this was literally the only time in the whole game where you did it and they couldn't make it work.

The ice-skating animations are actually left in the files. One of the lead developers mentioned in a Eurogamer article that there's a chance the mechanic could be completed and added in one of the expansions:

But maybe in some expansion or something we will add it," he teases, "because it's a cool idea."

I made a post about some of the cuts when the game came out, although I made a few mistakes and we've learnt more since then. There's also a thread on the forums where we've talked about it in detail, in case anyone is interested.

I'll mention some of the larger cuts here:

Iorveth, Isengrim and the Scoia'tael faction in general were going to have a much larger role in the story. The lead writers actually said they would show up, in this interview. Specifically stating that: "Iorveth is not the man he was before". I'm surprised there wasn't a bigger backlash when this content didn't make it, I guess I was the only one who was disappointed. The scenes in Kaer Morhen between
Roche, Ves and Letho
are called
q403_10_letho_vs_roche_iorweth
in the files. There's also some dialogue that mentions Iorveth and Isengrim being spotted in Novigrad. I've spoken to a few people in the company about this, unfortunately no one wants to, or simply can't, talk in detail about why this didn't end up happening. It's all very strange. This wasn't something that was cut in pre-production either. It was actively worked on, and from my estimates, the cut was made somewhere in 2014.

There was going to be a big Wild Hunt Infiltration sidequest, where Geralt would have used some magic bauble to take on the appearance of a Hunt soldier. This questline would have developed Eredin and the Hunt, expanded on their backstory given them the much needed characterisation that they needed, especially if you hadn't read the books.

The
Sabbath
quest line was originally meant to be much darker, with ritual suicides (people jumping off cliffs to their deaths) and orgies taking place. This original version actually got very far along, with a lot of the custom animations being worked on. I speculate that this was cut and edited mainly due to censorship. It was meant to be really dark, fitting with the
Crones and Imlerith's
nature.

The originally planed ending was also very different, and
Ge'els
was going to be a third Wild Hunt general. You would have fought him in an area called The Spiral, the
gas world you visit during 'Through Time and Space'
. The actual ending we got as originally meant to be
Carathir's
boss battle, and the final battle would then have taken place in Novigrad.

Coreda

I'll mention some of the larger cuts here:

There was going to be a big Wild Hunt Infiltration sidequest, where Geralt would have used some magic bauble to take on the appearance of a Hunt soldier. This questline would have developed Eredin and the Hunt, expanded on their backstory given them the much needed characterisation that they needed, especially if you hadn't read the books.

There was a thread on this. Apparently it got quite far as a concept. I love how many varied things were considered.

The
Sabbath
quest line was originally meant to be much darker, with ritual suicides (people jumping off cliffs to their deaths) and orgies taking place. This original version actually got very far along, with a lot of the custom animations being worked on. I speculate that this was cut and edited mainly due to censorship. It was meant to be really dark, fitting with the
Crones and Imlerith's
nature.

Read about this one on the CDPR forums. Wish it was a darker in that part of the game as it lacked a certain punch compared to the tantalizing character introductions. The
Imlerith
fight was no joke though.

There was a thread on this. Apparently it got quite far as a concept. I love how many varied things were considered.

Read about this one on the CDPR forums. Wish it was a darker in that part of the game as it lacked a certain punch compared to the tantalizing character introductions. The
Imlerith
fight was no joke though.

One of the leads, Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz, said in a PAX AU talk that out of all the cut content they've talked about, the Infiltration quest is his biggest regret, that it didn't make it into the game. They've also addressed that the Wild Hunt could have been done a lot better, so if an Enhanced Edition ever happens, I hope that we see some additions there. I think Eredin actually has more screen time in TW1, which is a bit odd.

Yeah, definitely. The original version was still in the most up-to-date of the leaked internal docs, so it was definitely worked on a lot. I have a feeling that they censored it as well as a few of the sex scenes. Although, that doesn't explain why they decided to go all out with the
Shani scene.
Compared to TW2, TW3 is a bit less brutal I feel. Even a scene where you think you'd see violence, like when Geralt kills
Whoreson Junior
, it's just a fade to black with a hilariously out of place screaming noise. In comparison, one scene in TW2 showed Geralt decapitating an old women,
Loredo's mother
, without blinking an eye.

I really want to know what happened to Iorveth though. He's mentioned a lot in one of the Alpha bug reports, getting stuck on doors in Triss's house, catching on fire, issues with scenes with Roche and Geralt at the docks ect. I think there's definitely something missing in the Novigrad storyline, and the Scoia'tael's inclusion could have added an extra layer to
Reasons of State
. Dijkstra and Isengrim have a fairly good relationship from the books, and Iorveth and Roche might have put aside their differences considering Nilfgaard is ploughing them both. Two big sidequests he was involved in, sq305-Scoia'tael and sq309-Investigation, were also cut completely. I've spoken with the director of the voice-over from SideUK, she mentioned the she recalled directing Mark Frost as Iorveth in TW3, but that the lines didn't end up being used. She did mention later that she might have been confusing TW2 and TW3 as she directed both. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anyone who can confirm this, and the voice actor himself has no online presence. But both of Iorveth's Polish and English voice actors do show up in the game, albeit voicing other minor characters.

The other missing part of the Novigrad story was that Hierarch Hemmelfart was originally going to show up, and the Temple Isle would have been used to bust
Dandelion
out of prison. I think that's the reason why that part of Novigrad feels a bit unused, especially considering the effort they put into designing the area.

NeoGiff

I'm assuming (based on the way it was for Hearts of Stone) the recommended level for Blood and Wine will be 35-40?

I recently finished a NG+ and did my second HoS playthrough after it, so I'm currently level 68. Hopefully that's around the recommended area, because I did this NG+ playthrough solely to have my ideal legendary gear ready and all bombs and potions fully upgraded for when Blood and Wine is released.

I'm assuming (based on the way it was for Hearts of Stone) the recommended level for Blood and Wine will be 35-40?

I recently finished a NG+ and did my second HoS playthrough after it, so I'm currently level 68. Hopefully that's around the recommended area, because I did this NG+ playthrough solely to have my ideal legendary gear ready and all bombs and potions fully upgraded for when Blood and Wine is released.

Probably.

NG+ will almost surely sit around the 60-65 starting mark if you want to start Blood & Wine that way.

frontovik

Banned
Has Geralt's appearance ever turned people off from purchasing the Witcher games? I know someone who thought he looked cringeworthy and was not interested for that reason.

Coreda

An Olgierd cosplay guide was released a few days ago, with more to come.

uRYtdOz.png

A couple years ago they released cosplay guides for the main characters, providing useful full and up-close in-game renders for graphics comparisons at the time (eg: the previous version of Yennefer, and the general LoD to expect), so it's cool to see it continued for the expansions.

Donos

So, do you guys think there will be a good discount for the Heart of Stone / Blood and Wine DLC bundle (PS4?)
Was waiting for this but i'm not sure if should just get the season pass for 25 € and start playing Heart of Stone.

Nordicus

So, do you guys think there will be a good discount for the Heart of Stone / Blood and Wine DLC bundle (PS4?)
Was waiting for this but i'm not sure if should just get the season pass for 25 € and start playing Heart of Stone.
People keep asking this, especially on Steam.

Any sort of good discount on the pass would essentially make Hearts of Stone a freebie to anyone buying Blood and Wine before/at/near Blood and Wine's release, shafting early purchasers.

I have a hard time thinking CDProjekt would do that.

ActWan

An Olgierd cosplay guide was released a few days ago, with more to come.

uRYtdOz.png

A couple years ago they released cosplay guides for the main characters, providing useful full and up-close in-game renders for graphics comparisons at the time (eg: the previous version of Yennefer, and the general LoD to expect), so it's cool to see it continued for the expansions.

No need for a guide, just look at David Beckham.

poutmeter

I'm in the process of finishing the Muire D'Yaeblen contract -all that is left is prepare the Drowner Pheromones potion and use it to hide Geralt's scent. I can prepare the potion just fine, even consume it, but using it has no effect on Geralt. The item gets used without giving an indicator it's been consumed; no icon or timer shows up yet I lose one potion each time.

I loaded an earlier save and restarted the contract from the beginning, yet the same thing happened. Is there a way to fix this bug or should I just let it go and move on? All other potions work fine, it's just the Drowner Pheromones that's affected.

poutmeter

Are you consuming it in the cave where the mission takes place?

Yep, consumed it right in the water hag's lair. I also tried it outside the chamber in different places, yet nothing happened other than losing the potions. I've also unequipped other potions, leaving on the Drowner Pheromones equipped, but nothing changed.

I've already wasted a couple of hours on this contract. Guess I'll move on to the next quest, then.

Top Bottom