• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 4 to enter full production

Von Hugh

Gold Member
"all three games aimed to be delivered within a 6-year period"

Goodfellas GIF

I love you CDPR, but who are you kidding.

DavidGzz

By the time this comes out CD Project Red will have 5 employees and most of the game will have been made with A.I.

simpatico

Gold Member
The Cyberpunk prerelease drama really made it seems like CDPR really want to go woke but have trouble getting the material in Poland. Gonna keep an eye on this one.

peek

Good. Let us all hope that Geralt supports his new diverse girl boss so she can get to work!

Onward!

Diddy X

Ciri most likely won't be a protagonist though. Everything we know so far about the new protagonist is that it won't be Geralt. But when they announced the game they had a graphic with a new medallion that wasn't the same one Ciri was wearing (cat medallion). This implied we may play as a completely new witcher from a school that wasn't featured in books and past games. One of the devs later on also confirmed the animal on this medallion is lynx

witcher-medallions-new-one.jpg

Looks like a feline

Maybe the Euroasian Lynx found in Poland

OIP.O_xkafi1PgD2TOE9IS0mvgHaHa

Dazraell

Looks like a feline

Maybe the Euroasian Lynx found in Poland

OIP.O_xkafi1PgD2TOE9IS0mvgHaHa
Yeah, this is lynx. I believe one of the devs even confirmed it. There were also some fan theories in the past that snow in that image with a medallion might be teasing the Kovir and Poviss region as a setting which is located on the far north

Last edited:
Won’t be as big of a deal as W3 was in 2015

They can try to replicate that success again but it’s just not gonna happen.

The Witcher 3 came out in a time and place when the industry was starving for a game like that. The best WRPG makers at that time were…Bethesda lol.
Cyberpunk managed to go from quite possibly one of the worst AAA game releases of all time to a game that's still getting those sales every month (top 60 on steam as we speak), currently has 20k people playing it after 4 years on the market.

If you believe a new The Witcher game that releases in a good shape, after how huge The Witcher 3 was, with the TV show happening, etc...won't blow past The Wtcher's 3 initial sales...you're mistaken. The Witcher 4 will sell A LOT more than The Witcher 3 in its first few weeks at least.

Cyberpunk managed to go from quite possibly one of the worst AAA game releases of all time to a game that's still getting those sales every month (top 60 on steam as we speak), currently has 20k people playing it after 4 years on the market.

If you believe a new The Witcher game that releases in a good shape, after how huge The Witcher 3 was, with the TV show happening, etc...won't blow past The Wtcher's 3 initial sales...you're mistaken. The Witcher 4 will sell A LOT more than The Witcher 3 in its first few weeks at least.
It might sell more than The Witcher 3 did at launch, but you get my point. The acclaim, the sensation, the long term success, the “story” of it all. GOTY.

It’s very, very likely to not be replicated a 2nd time. I’d love to be wrong though, as TW3 is in my top 5 games of all time.

Also, despite Cyberpunk finally being a decent game after a few years, it’s still nowhere near as ambitious and groundbreaking as CDPR led everyone to believe it would be during the 7 year buildup.
It had Rockstar levels of hype, but didn’t deliver Rockstar levels of quality.

CP2077 is a pretty world. Looks good in screenshots and “RTX 4090 Phycho Ultra” YouTube videos. That’s about it, though.

It might sell more than The Witcher 3 did at launch, but you get my point. The acclaim, the sensation, the long term success, the “story” of it all. GOTY.

It’s very, very likely to not be replicated a 2nd time. I’d love to be wrong though, as TW3 is in my top 5 games of all time.

Also, despite Cyberpunk finally being a decent game after a few years, it’s still nowhere near as ambitious and groundbreaking as CDPR led everyone to believe it would be during the 7 year buildup.
It had Rockstar levels of hype, but didn’t deliver Rockstar levels of quality.

CP2077 is a pretty world. Looks good in screenshots and “RTX 4090 Phycho Ultra” YouTube videos. That’s about it, though.
Thank you for telling me this. I was about to go through the same with this game that i did with No Man's Sky. Game releases in a bad state, but it's corrected only to be called "amazing" and then i buy it and it's still shit...just not as bad...just better than on release date but still nowhere near one of the greats and i end up disappointed.

geary

"all three games aimed to be delivered within a 6-year period"

Goodfellas GIF

I love you CDPR, but who are you kidding.
If they develop in parallel and use a single world design for the first game, might be feasible...They need to reuse a lot of asset to do it..

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I hope so.

Like i don't have anything against female protagonists, some of my goty\gotg have female protagonists, but i want to play the fucking witcher as a chad male, not a scrawny 45 kg chick that i don't give 2 fucks about.

It seems like all current western games have a female protagonist by now. Five years or so ago this would have been an interesting choice, but it's 2024 now and I've had enough of the girl boss trope.

Dazraell

I wanna know what's going on with that Witcher 1 remake.
CD Projekt is outsourcing it to Fool's Theory, a Polish studio which has devs who worked on the original Witcher 1. It's apparently in very early stages of development and planned to be released after Polaris (Witcher 4 or however it will be called). Earlier this year Fool's Theory wrapped up work on their last game (The Thaumaturge) and started focusing on Witcher 1 remake

Last edited:
Top Bottom