• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 |OT| Diplomacy has failed

Randomizer

Just got this today and have just finished Operation 003. This game man, this fucking game. Absolutely incredible so far for me. It's not yet reached the heights of Bayonetta just yet though. The combat is a tad shallower than a single character action game as there isn't really a lot of combos as such in comparison to say DMC3 and Bayo. But the multiple unite morphs do add complexity and some of the techniques in Saur's video prove that high end play is possible. Excepting some crazy videos of this game in the coming months.

Also the graphics have surprised me quite a few times. It's so clean and crisp and has some nice DOF and some beautiful texture work. Does anyone know what resolution this is running in? Looks great on my 40" 1080p set.

I think there's nine operations, set up like Viewtiful Joe chapters; two separate Acts, than the third part reserved for a giant 20-minute boss fight

edit: beaten :(

javac

Okay so I just got time to play it finally. It's amazing.

Just one thing...this game is legitimately hard right? Or do I just suck? Completed the first 2 operations. Going to go back and doing them again and perfect everything.

You don't lose progress when redoing an operation right?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Ok. So I feel like I'm doing something wrong. All I can do at the moment is run around in a circle and tap X and occasionally A.

Any tips?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Put a couple of hours in, and I'm once confirmed that Platinum is one of the most ludicrously talented and consistent developers around. If you needed your reason to grab a Wii U, here it is.

Love that the combat meta game here has the vibe of crowd control over the way Bayonetta works. Gives the combat a totally different feel.

Put a couple of hours in, and I'm once confirmed that Platinum is one of the most ludicrously talented and consistent developers around. If you needed your reason to grab a Wii U, here it is.

Love that the combat meta game here has the vibe of crowd control over the way Bayonetta works. Gives the combat a totally different feel.
good to hear this

Seik

Banned

Damn you EC!

I want to play this game so bad!!!! WHY, NOA?! D':

Hiltz

Can anyone confirm this as true? I've been scouring the net for answers.

It's true. Kamiya will also be attending the show.

Nintendo will have a retail space this year on the fourth floor at PAX, where attendees can purchase a selection of software, hardware and other items. Each day, 101 copies of The Wonderful 101 will be available for purchase on a first-come, first-served basis – two weeks before the game launches on Sept. 15. Fans can also buy limited-edition T-shirts featuring the Year of Luigi, The Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3.

Fans anticipating the launch of The Wonderful 101 on Sept. 15 won't want to miss "Inside The Wonderful 101 with Hideki Kamiya," a special session at which the Platinum Games creative director will share insight into the vision behind this superhero-themed Wii U exclusive action game. The session will take place at the Pegasus Theater in the Sheraton Seattle Hotel at 5 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 1. Additionally, an actor wearing a costume based on Wonder-Red from the game will distribute Wonder-Masks to attendees during the show, while supplies last.

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/RkwcxN4WH63cX9_harPCqwABUxo5gZko

I'm on the fence about picking this one up, do you guys feel it's worth the $60?

I'm pretty sure this will be my GOTY, and I'm not even through Normal difficulty yet (which matters a lot consider how many unlockables these sorts of games have). Just completely amazing all around if you can handle a proper challenge that requires you to actually think and figure things out on your own.

Derekb

Does anyone know if there is a benefit to levelling up your characters? I keep switching to new characters now. It also looks like they level up automatically, i.e. when I keep playing with Wonder Red the other red characters' XP-bar fills up over time.

Torraz

Think I am slowly starting to get used to the game. I think it's best when played at full concentration, a bit like demon's/dark souls.

Happy I picked it up, despite not completely feeling the demo.

Does the "hero counter" work like parrying is MGS and the moon of maha kaala in Bayonetta? If so, I think that will be the first big ticket item I will buy.

Starting to think the game will play 100% differently once more skills/abilities/morphs unlock.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
How do you make your companions attack with a unite move?

Proven

Does anyone know if there is a benefit to levelling up your characters? I keep switching to new characters now. It also looks like they level up automatically, i.e. when I keep playing with Wonder Red the other red characters' XP-bar fills up over time.
http://platinumgames.com/2013/08/23/w101-blog-ep-21-be-tough-level-up/
Think I am slowly starting to get used to the game. I think it's best when played at full concentration, a bit like demon's/dark souls.

Happy I picked it up, despite not completely feeling the demo.

Does the "hero counter" work like parrying is MGS and the moon of maha kaala in Bayonetta? If so, I think that will be the first big ticket item I will buy.

Starting to think the game will play 100% differently once more skills/abilities/morphs unlock.
Yes.
How do you make your companions attack with a unite move?
On default controls, after you've drawn the morph don't hit A to activate it. Hit X instead.

LAA

For anyone who has beat the game, anyone know what happens when when you want to start the game again on Hard or any difficulty even?
I guess I'm asking do you get to keep all the stats you got in the first playthrough and all the skills you bought?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Good fucking god the boss fights.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
26th... 26th... getting the game the 26th... must keep up my media blackout.

Question: can I use the gamepad/off-tv play from start to finish? I don't have a TV right now so I really need to be able to launch the game without my wii being connected to a TV.

God I'm so hyped.

Nibel

Question: can I use the gamepad/off-tv play from start to finish? I don't have a TV right now so I really need to be able to launch the game without my wii being connected to a TV.

God I'm so hyped.

You can play the entire game on your Gamepad if the demo is any indication :)

EatChildren

As a side note on the technology, though the game certainly isn't an unbroken 60fps, it is completely vsync'd as far as I can see. Haven't spotted a single instance of tearing even while the screen is filled with the most insane stuff.

NeoRausch

God I'm so hyped.

yes, yes you can.

there are even several offscreen modes like picture in picture with menus. useless but awesome.

Exile20

As a side note on the technology, though the game certainly isn't an unbroken 60fps, it is completely vsync'd as far as I can see. Haven't spotted a single instance of tearing even while the screen is filled with the most insane stuff.
I think all WII U games are forced vsync'd.

NeoRausch

Praise the lord!!

Replayed through Viewtiful Joe just a coupe of months ago and I felt like a kid again, hoping this game can give me some of that unadulterated, sense of pure gaming-joy.

it will. this game is a pure gameplay bliss.

think: super arcade fun but with layer upon layer of possibilities to notch your skills even more.
if you lose our don't do so well you will always know that it was your own fault. and most of the time you will know what to do AND KICK ASS LATER.

Can someone give me some tips for the blossom city tower boss,
end of mission 002 when your on top of the ufo shaped building.
what are you supposed to do when he throws the huge ship at you that's now his hand?
also the rockets from his chest?
how are you supposed to avoid those attacks/stop them hitting the tower.
i tried everything but nothing works.

the game is stunning, if it had just a little more polish then it would be a contender for game of the year.
I really hope they make a sequel,
if ever a game needed a second chance to tighten things up, fix a few small problems and prove itself this would be it.
for all my begging that this game came out sooner for wii u ,
i'm now starting to wish it came out in 2014 just so it could have been polished just a little more.

Top Bottom